Grande Réserve (Blue)
Bières de Chimay

Grande Réserve (Blue)Grande Réserve (Blue)
Beer Geek Stats: | Print Shelf Talker

Wants
Gots
SCORE
World-Class
Grande Réserve (Blue)Grande Réserve (Blue)
Notes: Originally brewed as a Christmas beer in 1948, this dark ale has rich flavors of mulling spices and caramel, with a smooth palate and warming finish.
firstprev| 2376-2400 | 2401-2425 | 2426-2450  | next → last
Reviews: 2,436 | Ratings: 8,083
2.55/5  rDev -41.1%

1.5L bottle from 2011.

Most overrated beer i have drink.
Not bad but really far from a rochefort 8 or a st-bernardus 10.

The appearence is really beautifull for the style but when it comes to the smell, it's just a little bit about caramel and apricot but no more. The taste doesn't offer more than the smell but alcohol is quite well hidden. The mourhfeel is OK.

Finally, i think there are really more interesting beers in this type.

2.54/5  rDev -41.3%

Ah Trappest so far I’ve found this word to mean “awful beer.” Lets see if my memory of this “grand reserve” are justified.

Pours a deep rusted dark orange/red color. The head is full of tiny little bubbles often associated with pour head retention and lacing, but none of that here. A strong head and nice lacing all around. I made some effort to decant for the appearance, but this one is murky.

Sour hops and weak malt are the opening. Alcohol makes itself noticed as well. A sort of rum and spice with some dark fruits is in here but this aroma is normally far far better.

The flavors are far more enjoyable than the nose thankfully. Extremely complex blend of slight bitterness, sour notes, spices, and malt perfectly placed to not distract but enhance the other flavors. I can certainly see aging this beer for a decade to kill the hops and bring out the malt more. I’m not a huge malt lover, but here the hops are pleasant and really the different flavors don’t fully mingle well. Bottle if I’m reading it correctly is around a year old.

Those tight bubbles make for an over carbonated mouthfeel, but far making the beer hard to consume. Body some off rather medium to style because of this and as a result it isn’t good or bad.

Certainly not as bad as I recall which means I’m becoming more and more tolerant to these odd flavors. That said one should expect more based on the hype, cost, and well the reputation of Trappest beers. Oh and just a bit of advice to Chimay, this beer should be served in 6-7 oz bottles. This 11.2 oz bottle is far too big.

2.53/5  rDev -41.6%

Poured from a 150cl bottle into a Chimay chalice. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist!

A: Pours a cloudy reddish brown, dirty appearance, zero head. Hmmm.

S: Big whack of sickly sweet malt with an off-smelling red wine aroma. This is starting to look not so good.

T: Sweet malty flavors mixed with chocolate and that off putting red wineyness. Slightly sour (not in a good way) and finally a tiny bit of cola.

M: Smooth and rich, the lone bright spot of this beer.

D: Not so much...was this bottle bad? Or is this how it is? We were very, very disappointed with this.

2.52/5  rDev -41.8%

BOOOOOOOOO

one of the most fantastically over rated beers of all time

the main point I want to stress here is that this beer is overwhelmed by its astringency it's just not that good, sorry. it tastes like what I would imagine a store brand trappist would taste like. It is not that interesting, and if it is complex, it is not enjoyable enough to justify savoring or investigation. I have given this beer chance after chance after chance, IMO the only thing it is good for is cooking. I love belgian beer and I hate this ale sooooooo very much 2 thumbs down and downright unpleasant

2.39/5  rDev -44.8%

Appearance: Looks good in the glass. Head explodes from the bottom of the glass and creates a large, but modest, foamy head. Leaves virtually no lacing, though. Color is very dark and muddy.

Smell: Figures...I hear so many good things about this beer and find out that it's just another spicy belgian. Smell is of hefty malts and clove.

Taste: I don't like spices, and this beer is no exception. It's my personal opinion and I don't mean to drag down the rating of a "good" beer, but spices are simply not to my liking.

Mouthfeel: I'll give it some credit.. it's smooth for a relatively high-alcohol beer. Little carbonation.

Drinkability: The 9% ABV is a plus, as I like a little kick to my beers, but lends the drinkability an average rating.

Overall, I'm obviously dissapointed, and kinda pissed off. I mean, some Belgians I've had have been superb, and some have been not to my liking at all. I read reviews and it's hard to tell because everyone has different tastes. When I originally started drinking more hoppy beers, I didn't really like them much, but now I adore them. However, I really don't think this is a taste I will become accustomed to. Spices/cloves are something that I think should have their place in food, not in my beer.

2.34/5  rDev -46%

I was excited to find an aged bottle at a local store (only thing is they had it in the back of the cooler not at the temp of the other crafts. Got it home, popped the top, poured into my New Belgium globe...

Apperance - PERFECT, dark, rich and cloudy amber color, for an ALE this is perfect. The head was about one inch tall and went away quickly.

Smell - This reminded me of a cheap, woody cognac to start with. I actually sat this down and came back to it after a few minutes, afterwords I could still smell the woodiness but the fruit and florals started to become more prominent.

Taste - All I can say is watered down whiskey. Just NOT IMPRESSED.

Mouthfeel - TOO thin, no feel at all. It has the feel of water.

Drinkability - I would get something else. Very poor overall.

2.34/5  rDev -46%

I bought this to try because it continues to be so highly rated. I was disappointed. I poured it into a glass so I could observe the head and it was quite nice. It smelled pretty good too. The thing that really turned me off was the taste. I swear it tasted like someone put about three packets of Sweet-N-Low in every bottle. I just couldn't shake the saccharine sweetness from my palate. This one is popular, but definitely not for me.

2.25/5  rDev -48%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.75

This beer sucks. Taste's like a carbonated milkshake, and is worse than the white version. Cant believe I spent five dollars on this poor excuse of a beer, while I could of got a bomber of Stone IPA for the same price. Those monks are drinking to much of their own product, and they're drunk during the entire process. I will try again once they sober up, and quit adding cinnamon and sugar to their beers. Why is there no one monitoring these drunk monks? What a life huh, drink beer all day and wear a jedi robe.

2.19/5  rDev -49.4%

I have been looking forward to trying this beer for a very long time. What a dissapointment.
750ml. bottle corked and caged. Vintage: 10/05
Poured very nicely, dark burgundy/ruby color, excellent thick head. A very inviting smell, and mouthfeel. Perhaps a hint of raisins, and a bit spicy. The taste however was almost like drinking Methyl Ethyl Keytone. Very harsh, strong, chemical alcohol taste to it. I could not finish the whole bottle. I will try this beer again, but will let it age a couple years and then see.

2.09/5  rDev -51.7%

750 ml bottle. Bottle-conditioned. No sign whatsoever of a vintage date. Perhaps the code LAM - 088 on the back means something?

Despite the enticing pop of the cork, only a reluctant tan haze briefly passes for a head. The beer itself is a deep chestnut with an amber glow at the bottom and a hint of ruby at the brim.

Strong unpleasant yeasty smell, like a starter of baking yeast. As it warms the alcohol comes out in powerful winey port with overtones of raisins.

Hardly any flavor to fight off the alcohol, just a bit of sweetness up front more like maple syrup than malt. Thin and fizzy and that yeast taste pops up again in the finish.

Supposedly it benefits from aging. It could only get better.

This is our first beer here at The Beer Sellar. Thanks to Tyler McCord for setting this up. Without him, I might not have even considered The Beer Sellar as a sponsor for the 1001 Bottles project. He is a regular here, living right down the road, and has introduced me to several people here already. Everyone seems to know him… sort of his personal Cheers!

The label is, well… blue! Hence the name I suppose. This is a Trappist beer, too. Do you know what a Trappist beer is? Well it’s managed by monks basically. I just posted a blog about it; go read that!

The beer smells spicy. Spicy and wet… but promises to be a decent ale. We have been drinking a lot of Belgian beers lately. Anyway, this beer is famous. Well, Chimay is famous. It’s a famous… Trappist beer. Lots of focus on the Trappist beers thus far. But that’s okay, I dig the ales.

There is a ton of carbonation on the front of the palate, but it dies quickly into a sweet treat. The aftertaste is subtle, but begs for another sip. The second drink isn’t as good, but it still leaves some huge sweet notes on the tongue. It’s pretty solid, but not sure it lives up to all the hype. There is another Chimay beer on this list; hopefully that one is better than this on. Bottoms up people!

firstprev| 2376-2400 | 2401-2425 | 2426-2450  | next → last