Grande Réserve (Blue)
Bières de Chimay

Grande Réserve (Blue)Grande Réserve (Blue)
Beer Geek Stats: | Print Shelf Talker

Wants
Gots
SCORE
World-Class
Grande Réserve (Blue)Grande Réserve (Blue)
Notes: Originally brewed as a Christmas beer in 1948, this dark ale has rich flavors of mulling spices and caramel, with a smooth palate and warming finish.
Reviews: 2,439 | Ratings: 8,090

no words do this justice, the greatest ever perhaps.
dark pour, nice head all the time.
goes down smooth, obviously crafted the way a beer should be crafted and I've come to expect it from the fine people at Chimay. I buy multiple bottle at once and bring them to parties where ever I go in an attempt to educate those who are less fortunate and willingly drink garbage like bud all the time. They don't know what they are missing.
The greatest of all time, period.

THE BEST. My first review, so of course I start with my favorite. What else can I say about perfection in my eyes. Like the perfect woman, only better.

Why does this system say I have to write more words about perfection. Can something so good be done by me? no. Do I even really understand perfection? no Can I explain perfection? no 250 characters yet?

A:Nice Creamy tan two finger caramel head with a dark caramel honey brown cloudy appearance.

S: Notes of sweet port wine, fruit notes, caramel and honey also, a hint of spices. Yeast

T: Heaven! honey, fruit, caramel, yeast, theres a lot going on here, can't explain it all but its great!

M: Perfect carbonation, not too dry, refreshing.

D: If I could drink this all day I would be one happy man, but a very drunk one at that. Everything is perfect here!

The king of all Belgians and Trappist brews. Tastes of figs, cola, dates, chocolate, malt, and other dried fruit. This beer is good fresh and aged for 5-10 years. I never had a bad drinking experience with this beer. Almost is better each time i have it.

Very dark amber in color with tight cream color foam. Nice pleasant complex smell and taste of fruits and roasted nuts. Slightly on the sweet side with a tangy but not bitter finish. Just a little sourness on the after taste also. Best Belgium brew so far!

from start to finish, this is a great one.
pours a hazy deep brown with a nice offwhite head about 1 inch thick or so that dwindles nicely, leaves some good lace behind as you drink
smells of yeast, malt, caramel and some spice.
taste hits with some strong spice up front but finshes smooth with a caramel, malty finish...outstanding
i really enojoyed this one
i gave it all fives except on the appearance, i woudl have liked to see a bigger frothy head, for a strong belgian ale. but it was still awesome

Chimay Ale Peres Trappistes Grand Reserve pours a wonderful root beer brown from a 1pt. 9.4oz brown glass bottle.

Head goes well over three fingers before dropping to a firm quarter inch cap of foam and leaving ample lacing down the sides of the glass.

Nose is mostly malt with just a hint of floral hops and traces, just traces of the 9% alcohol by volume.

Taste is a smooth, very smooth malt... a most smooth malt. A taste that one could fall in love with... I have been mesmerized by this brew and will seek it out wherever I go!

Oh My God... This stuff is GOOD!!!

This is the first Belgian Ale I have had that is decidedly tastier than La Fin Du Monde.

L: Pours with a deep red cola body, so dark it seems opaque unless held to light. If you don't stir the sediment, it comes out very clear. Beautiful arcs of fine bubbles lace the glass and the khaki film of head lasts forever.

S: Soothing, sweet and creamy, with soft notes of brown sugar, vanilla and coconut held up by rich almond and black cherry, prune and fig. The base of the finish is soothing oat bread with clove, tobacco and a hint of toffee, with toasted acidic notes trailing off like sourdough crust.

T: Nutty almond swirls dives into sweet vanilla and creamy macadamia nut, beaching on a shore of dried apricots and raisins where coconuts and tobacco are getting toasted nearby on an oak fire.

F: Nutty, creamy, fuzzy, and dry. Perfect.

O: My first time giving a beer full marks across the board. A delicacy, without a doubt. Then again, the price point is fifty cents an ounce.

Chimay Grand Reserve review

When I was checking out all the reviews I've written the other day, I couldn't believe that I hadn't yet reviewed my absolute favorite Belgium ale Chimay Grand Reserve. I figured it was my duty to pick up a bottle on the way home and pick up a bottle to write about. I remember trying this about two years ago and not liking it very much, but my palette has since grown. I popped the cork on a 750 ml. bottle and poured a good sample into a Chimay chalice that I got last year in a gift pack. There wasn't much of a head once poured; I took great care not to disturb the yeast sediment resting at the bottom of the bottle. The color was a deep, rusty orange, with very little light penetrating the chalice. The aroma was sublime with hints of dates, figs and yeast. I had read originally that this beer was once only brewed at Christmas time, which does explain why this particular ale reminds me a Barleywine. The taste is sweet, almost like port with deep fruits and a peppery aftertaste. This ale is a champion and should be enjoyed as often as possible. Grab a bottle or two and sit down to enjoy a epic masterpiece.

Have a 2007 Jeroboam of this I can't wait to try. This pour was from a 750ml into a Chimay chalice. Everything you could want and ask for of a strong dark ale. Gorgeous contrast of the dark brown body with the white lacy head. Intensely complex smell of fruits and spices. Taste follows suit with the most incredible balance of flavors. Somehow, even with its complexity and 9% abv this is still so easy to drink, but I wouldn't dare do anything but sip this. Overall, as close as it gets to perfect.

I have seen comments that it's to much for the money. But you get what you pay for if you want the best you pay for it ,while some of the other labels within chimay are great this one is outstanding. This is the best of its kind I have tried dozens of Belgium style beers and this is the best from the floral smell to the sweet taste it is so complex yet so perfectly balanced you will not be displeased with this one. if you are a true beer drinker stop being so cheap and treat your self to pure bliss on earth if God truly made a beer this is it!

330ml bottle. BB 2018. Amber brown colour with a dense, light tan head and left some nice lacing. Aroma of caramel, raisins, sherry and alcohol. Medium sweetness and minimal bitterness. Smooth, medium-full bodied with alcohol warmth. Like drinking a fine fortified wine. Delicious. I can't fault this one, one of my favourites. 10.

If the red is like solera calvados and black cherries, and if the white is like great, overripe Sauvignon Blanc like the ones Didier Dageneau makes, then this is young vintage port. Slate-infused fruits with thick black skins appear immediately. There is a suggestion of winter rye as well. Smart yeast here, using one grain to impersonate another. It is a perfect, and I mean perfect windup to a session featuring one 33cl bottle of each color. The red bears contemplation, which I did as I planned my menu. The white: aperitif heaven, but used tonight to accompany pan-grilled shrimp with garlic and beer-sauce of Red and White dregs. Alongside it there was flash-infused garlic oil used to sear fresh, organic summer squash from Yale MI's Maple Creek Farm, finished with a pile of wilted romaine from same...and steamed, nutty, fresh broccoli, also from the Lutz'...So the point is my palate has been lavished with living things. And then comes this. As it warms up it brings palate-heated aromas of raw cocoa, whole vanilla pods, new leather. Wonderful texture, just like the others...think of whipped cream melting furiously from applied heat. Wow. I hope Paterno protects this work of art from conglomerate beer snatchers. It must be allowed to live.
Warmer still and crazy XO cognac sensations become noticeable. Hennessy Paradis tastes a little bit like this...all candied orange peel and spicy, essential chocolate. What a beauty.

well 5's should be rare...this beer is rare. what else is there to say. pours perfect with about one and a half inch of head. excellent carbonation. a darker translucent color. very nice dry grain - hop aroma. pleasing to the palate. smooth dry finish.

excellent! if you see this on a shelf - buy it. read the label and follow the suggestions on how to fully enjoy this gem.

suckem up and movem out!!!

giblet

A- Grape. Medium to dark. Very good look. Low carbonation. A gift to the eyes. Very Sexy beer.
S- Grape. Malt. No hops. Very nice.
T- No bitterness just weet grape and malt. Alcohol not evident even at nine percent.
M- Smooth as silk.
d- Too good. A pleasure to quaff.

THIS is what beer is supposed to be!

Pours a solid dark brown with ruby highlights, and a generous tan/off-white head with some lacing. Notes of spice, grain, toffe and yeast greeted my nose. As it warmed, I tasted cocoa, vanilla … its malty sweetness (one of the richest malts you’ll ever taste) blends with a spicy yeastiness and a wonderful warmth from the alcohol. Easily a 5/5.

Have to poor this nice and carefully, and get the right kind of glass to let it air properly.

It's a deep brown, but not quite as murky as the Chimay premiere (red label) and doesn't have quite its bitterness. Something smooths out the taste and makes it a bit more drinkable.

Wow. Im speechless. I don't think a taste review would do this beer justice. All I can say is this was my first belgian strong dark ale and I'm hooked!
Cheers

The only disappointing thing here is that 'The Bros' don't rate this Divinely inspired beer a perfect "100." This is perfection in taste, appearance, mouthfeel, and everything else. As close to heaven as you'll get in this world brother.

I loved this beer so much I bought the specialty glasses! I've had the yellow and red, but blue is the best! The flavors of fig and dark fruit are amazing!!! When I drink this brew I truely feel I'm being thrown back in time. When I think "old world" brews, I think Chimay!

Out of an 11.2 ouncer...

A - Pours a murky, slightly rusty brown. A couple fingers of thick and creamy tan head sit above.

S - Although not real powerful, the smell is spectacular. Dark fruits are most notable for me. Plums, figs, and tart cherries. Then a doughy cinnamon shows up. That Belgian yeast is surely there, but again, a bit subtle. There's also a hint of clove and just enough alcohol that you have to hunt for it.

T - Follows the aroma quite a bit. Nothing overpowering. Everything just works together...sum of the parts thing. The dark fruits are there at the beginning and never really disappear. The balance between the spiciness and sweetness is perfect. I did notice a woody apple note that never appeared in the nose. Taste is impressive.

M - Starts creamy, but does have a little bite toward the end. Actually makes it feel refreshing...pretty good for 9%.

D - In a word. Unreal.

My first 5.0!

I love this beer! It was like cherries and strawberries with a smooth finish. It was my first trappist and I didn't know what to expect. I somehow thought I didn't like Belgian ales but I tried it with a bunch of other beers and it was my favorite BY FAR. Soooo tastey!!

Meilleure. Bière. Au. Monde.

Une couleur brune-rubis profonde avec une mousse persistante.
Odeur de banane/vanille/épices... sublime.
Goût sucré de bananes, de pain d'épices, de fruits rouges le tout très moelleux et liquoreux. Toutefois, pas d'excès : cette bière est remarquablement bien équilibrée, et son fort % d'alcool est dissimulé à merveille.

Chimay is the reason I drink craft beer. I was turned on to chimay about 20 years ago and it was very hard to find a beer as good until the last few years when craft beer has really become popular. The Grand Reserve has a bold strong flavor that keeps you coming back for more. It has a strong malt smell and pours dark with a good head. Their are many great beers around today but not many have been brewing as long as Chimay.

Poured this beer into my chimay chalice. It poured a dark brown color with a tan 2-finger head that shrank down to a nice collar and had a good amount of carbonation throughout the duration. The smell was of fruits and dried fruits. With just a touch of date and cherry. The taste was exquisite, the fruity yet malty combination was perfection. The alcohol can really be felt about half way through, but it is not overpowering and leaves you wanting more. I would definatly recomend this beer to anyone looking for a quality belgium beer.

Grande Réserve (Blue) from Bières de Chimay