Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Chimay Première (Red) | Bières de Chimay

Chimay Première (Red)Chimay Première (Red)
4.15/5
Exceptional
Chimay Première (Red)Chimay Première (Red)

Bières de Chimay
chimay.be

Style: Dubbel

This copper-colored ale boasts flavors of apricots, brown sugar and nutmeg. Brewed since 1982, Chimay Première is the first beer ever produced by the Trappist monks of Notre-Dame de Scourmont Abbey in Belgium.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-20-2000

Ratings: 4,914 |  Reviews: 1,711

A friend gave this to me though I did like the apricot nutty taste the body was just very light, too light for me and the flavor seemed to be inconsistent with every sip.

1.5/5  rDev -63.9%

1.62/5  rDev -61%

Red

Pours a deep brownish red, lighter than the blue, but very similar. I clearly suck at decanting these small bottles as floaters are in here and I have at least 2 oz left in the bottle. Carbonation is almost gone before this has been typed. A bit bland, but dubbles aren’t really show cases I suppose.

I feel like this one is taking on hef like characteristics. A touch of bubble gum is coming through here. I think this is a touch cool so I’ll finish in a bit. Sweet fruity notes from hops, with some fruit malt esters. Wide mouth glasses just don’t do the job on the nose…but this is their glass!

I just don’t know what to say here. This isn’t a good dubble. The flavors aren’t intense, malt dominate, and the balance that is here isn’t done in an overly enjoyable way. The hops here aren’t great and the fruity flavors of the malt just aren’t working with the hops.

This beer might have been saved with a nice well carbonated and creamy body. The problem is this beer’s carbonation is awful. The big bubbles and over carbonation here are a huge problem here.

I have often found this style to be pretty darn good, but this one isn’t. It doesn’t taste bad…but what beer really does? This is however an awful example of beer.

1.69/5  rDev -59.3%

This had so much promise but it's bitter initial taste, after taste and insane amount of carbonation ruined any flavor that it hoped you would taste. I wanted to like this, especially with its Monk folklore. But it is simply unrefined and just... Monastic in the worst way.

1.75/5  rDev -57.8%

1.78/5  rDev -57.1%

I tried this a year or so back and was very disappointed. I was super shocked to see how highly it was regarded here... so I decided to revisit this brew with the thought that maybe I had a bad one...

This was from a bottle poured into a chilled pint glass

A - Nice brown/reddish/amber color... good head but not too frothy... looks delicious. Lacing really good on the glass while drinking.

S - Strong alcohol smell to the nose mixed with vinegary overtones. The same as the last time I tried this beer... which is what turned me off in the first place. Not a pleasant nose on this one. No other noticeable complexities.. just vinegar and alcohol.

T - Tastes like a alcohol heavy beer with a vinegary aftertaste. The flavor is not unpleasant upon sipping, initial flavor is good. The aftertaste was just so overwhelmingly bad and came so quickly it ruined it, and made it hard to describe what was "good" about the initial flavor.

M - Not too bad... not too light or heavy. Did not feel like I had to "chew" the beer, but it was not a lawn mowing beer either.

O - I'm just not happy with my experience with this beer. I am really shocked at how highly it is rated here. It is so hard to get past the alcohol/vinegar smell/taste with with one. I've had plenty of beers with higher alcohol content that were not so strong with the alcohol on the tongue. Is it possible that I got 2 bad bottles? Could be... but I'm not gonna get this again anytime soon.

1.94/5  rDev -53.3%

Poured a light amber with incredibly large white head that melted rather quickly to fine lacing.
Aroma was musty yeast and too sweet malt with a touch of dried fruits.
Taste was overshadowed initially by the extremely high carbonation level of tiny bubbles...almost like the beer couldn't make it to my tongue but got blocked off by CO2 first.
Primarily sweet malt and raisin-dried fruit tastes...too sweet in my mind.
Mouthfeel is surprisingly thin after the carbonation disappears, for a beer this sweet and fruity tasting. Unpleasant aftertaste of stale yeast.

I will have to try this one again just to compare notes, but I didn't enjoy this Chimay nearly as much as the hype. In fact, I didn't enjoy it at all.

2.25/5  rDev -45.8%

2.26/5  rDev -45.5%

Bottle pour into tulip.

Not at all sure about this one. Pours a nice orange/brown. Mouthfeel is pleasant enough but, truth be told, all I can smell and taste is yeast. Like drinking raw fizzy pizza dough.

If that floats your boat then great but this did nothing for me. Sorry.

2.32/5  rDev -44.1%

Sampled at a shared tasting in Venice, Italy. Light Ruby. Unpleasantly aromatic with notes of bread, medicines, seawater, salt, green plants and dark fruits. Dark fruits reside but the entire front and mid-palate is completely non-existant. The finish however is lovely, lingering and full of a malty sweetness. Once again though, my main problem, as with all the Chimay beers is the total lack of body. Gentle overall, and the complete lack of character from the front to the mid is what disappoints most. It's just one dimensional, especially in the aroma.

2.35/5  rDev -43.4%

Appearance: Frothy head, that started to spew out of the bottle when I took the cap off.

Smell: Nothing special, typical of a trappist ale

Taste: A huge disappointment. It was simply unpleasant. Sure, it had characteristics typical of a trappist ale but something was not right. I tried several sups before pouring the rest away

Mouthfeel: Too lively

2.38/5  rDev -42.7%

A - Orange-gold and not very see through. Foam looked like soda and vanished quickly.

S - a little now bitter than a typical pager.

T - full sweet and fruity. Not bitter and no bad after taste. Not too strong, but nice.

M - mild. Not real feel. Comparable to a mild ice tea.

D - due to its mildness and lack of bitterness or after taste, I bet you could drink a lot of these without realizing it. I would just rather have something a little not noticeable.

Chimay Première (Red) from Bières de Chimay