Chimay Première (Red) | Bières de Chimay

Chimay Première (Red)Chimay Première (Red)

Bières de Chimay
chimay.be

Style: Dubbel

This copper-colored ale boasts flavors of apricots, brown sugar and nutmeg. Brewed since 1982, Chimay Première is the first beer ever produced by the Trappist monks of Notre-Dame de Scourmont Abbey in Belgium.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-20-2000

4.1

Ratings: 4,883 |  Reviews: 1,703
1.78/5  rDev -56.6%

I tried this a year or so back and was very disappointed. I was super shocked to see how highly it was regarded here... so I decided to revisit this brew with the thought that maybe I had a bad one...

This was from a bottle poured into a chilled pint glass

A - Nice brown/reddish/amber color... good head but not too frothy... looks delicious. Lacing really good on the glass while drinking.

S - Strong alcohol smell to the nose mixed with vinegary overtones. The same as the last time I tried this beer... which is what turned me off in the first place. Not a pleasant nose on this one. No other noticeable complexities.. just vinegar and alcohol.

T - Tastes like a alcohol heavy beer with a vinegary aftertaste. The flavor is not unpleasant upon sipping, initial flavor is good. The aftertaste was just so overwhelmingly bad and came so quickly it ruined it, and made it hard to describe what was "good" about the initial flavor.

M - Not too bad... not too light or heavy. Did not feel like I had to "chew" the beer, but it was not a lawn mowing beer either.

O - I'm just not happy with my experience with this beer. I am really shocked at how highly it is rated here. It is so hard to get past the alcohol/vinegar smell/taste with with one. I've had plenty of beers with higher alcohol content that were not so strong with the alcohol on the tongue. Is it possible that I got 2 bad bottles? Could be... but I'm not gonna get this again anytime soon.

1.94/5  rDev -52.7%

Poured a light amber with incredibly large white head that melted rather quickly to fine lacing.
Aroma was musty yeast and too sweet malt with a touch of dried fruits.
Taste was overshadowed initially by the extremely high carbonation level of tiny bubbles...almost like the beer couldn't make it to my tongue but got blocked off by CO2 first.
Primarily sweet malt and raisin-dried fruit tastes...too sweet in my mind.
Mouthfeel is surprisingly thin after the carbonation disappears, for a beer this sweet and fruity tasting. Unpleasant aftertaste of stale yeast.

I will have to try this one again just to compare notes, but I didn't enjoy this Chimay nearly as much as the hype. In fact, I didn't enjoy it at all.

2.25/5  rDev -45.1%

2.26/5  rDev -44.9%

Bottle pour into tulip.

Not at all sure about this one. Pours a nice orange/brown. Mouthfeel is pleasant enough but, truth be told, all I can smell and taste is yeast. Like drinking raw fizzy pizza dough.

If that floats your boat then great but this did nothing for me. Sorry.

2.32/5  rDev -43.4%

Sampled at a shared tasting in Venice, Italy. Light Ruby. Unpleasantly aromatic with notes of bread, medicines, seawater, salt, green plants and dark fruits. Dark fruits reside but the entire front and mid-palate is completely non-existant. The finish however is lovely, lingering and full of a malty sweetness. Once again though, my main problem, as with all the Chimay beers is the total lack of body. Gentle overall, and the complete lack of character from the front to the mid is what disappoints most. It's just one dimensional, especially in the aroma.

2.35/5  rDev -42.7%

Appearance: Frothy head, that started to spew out of the bottle when I took the cap off.

Smell: Nothing special, typical of a trappist ale

Taste: A huge disappointment. It was simply unpleasant. Sure, it had characteristics typical of a trappist ale but something was not right. I tried several sups before pouring the rest away

Mouthfeel: Too lively

2.38/5  rDev -42%

A - Orange-gold and not very see through. Foam looked like soda and vanished quickly.

S - a little now bitter than a typical pager.

T - full sweet and fruity. Not bitter and no bad after taste. Not too strong, but nice.

M - mild. Not real feel. Comparable to a mild ice tea.

D - due to its mildness and lack of bitterness or after taste, I bet you could drink a lot of these without realizing it. I would just rather have something a little not noticeable.

2.4/5  rDev -41.5%

Appearance: A deep reddish brown beer with a very nice head.

Smell: Having already had Grande Réserve and Cinq Cents, I was disappointed with the aroma of Première. It was spicy, but the spices were overcome with the odors of yeast and alcohol.

Mouthfeel: was about average for an average beer, but not what one would expect from a $10/liter beer.

Taste: I was also average, except for the harshness of the first swallow.

Drinkability: Well I didn’t care for it. In fairness, I will try it again. There are others who rate it very high so it must have appeal I have not found.

2.4/5  rDev -41.5%

Tasted this out of brown paper bag during a taste test. What a disappointment. I thought is was some sort of beer/cider mix. Carbonization was prominant, complexity was low, and the malt taste was orange to apple. Drinkability was low.

I love malty begian beers, and I'm sure I would have had a biased review if I saw the label before drinking it. I'm glad I tried this one honestly, with the brown paper on it. Now I know I won't try it again.

2.42/5  rDev -41%

Appearance: A dark and murky copper pour. Definite floaties in there and carbonation veins stream through the body of the beer. Head retention is nice. An ivory color with a sudsy character to it.

Smell: A stale and funky belgian yeast smell to it. This is the smell that turns me "off" on belgian beer. However, I will try to remain open-minded about this. Some alcohol esters here and there but that damn belgian yeast smell keeps dominating the game here.

Taste: Same belgian yeast taste, some wheat bread characteristics, possibly some dark fruit, a hint of carob, and a brush of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and nicely balanced carbonation.

Drinkability: I'm sure this is good for the style but I don't like belgians. Sue me, I don't care. Back to the American Craft Beer scene for me.

2.43/5  rDev -40.7%

There's something about this brewery that promises so much, and delivers not enough.

Dark reddish/brown color when poured. Big fluffy head that disapears as soon as you look away.

Smell is lightly clovey, with a touch of sugar.

The mouthfeel is light. Tingle of small bubbles on your tongue. What I taste is slightly musty malt, a sugary sweetness, and it finishes so quick, you wonder why there's not more taste in your glass.

Maybe I'll get this again, but this so far has been a brewery that I am in no rush to drink from again anytime soon. Not horrible, but not the great beer experience I thought I would get from such a big name in beerdom. Pat

2.5/5  rDev -39%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Chimay Première (Red) from Bières de Chimay