Chimay Première (Red) | Bières de Chimay

Chimay Première (Red)Chimay Première (Red)
4.15/5
Chimay Première (Red)Chimay Première (Red)

Bières de Chimay
chimay.be

Style: Dubbel

This copper-colored ale boasts flavors of apricots, brown sugar and nutmeg. Brewed since 1982, Chimay Première is the first beer ever produced by the Trappist monks of Notre-Dame de Scourmont Abbey in Belgium.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-20-2000

Ratings: 4,903 |  Reviews: 1,706

3.08/5  rDev -25.8%

Not thrilled with this beer. It was a gift from someone and I had heard good things about this brew. When I drank it though, I thought it was kind of flat and lacked any distinctive flavors.

I got a faint smell of malts and bread. The taste was more of the same along with a little bit of sweetness. I kept waiting for a more powerful flavor to come out as the beer warmed but it never happened. Even if the beer wasn't as bold as I hoped, if it was easy drinking, I could find a place for something like this but it just didn't go down that smooth either. I know this beer isn't overly expensive but it costs more than what I would be willing to pay for it so I most likely won't be drinking it again anytime soon.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

This is a beer I haven't had for quite a while. Dark amber color with a solid head is present on the pour. The aroma is pleasant with a yeasty background. The first taste has plenty of malt to match the alcohol in a nice balance. Slight bitterness is present as well.

Oddly, this beer is not as sweet as I remember. That is not to say that it isn't sweet. Dark fruits come to mind on the initial taste and ends in a slightly minty taste or perhaps hint of clove. A definite taste of yeastiness comes through in the end.

Chimay beers are always highly rated by virtually everyone and this is no different.

Chimay Première (Red) from Bières de Chimay