Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Chimay Première (Red) | Bières de Chimay

Chimay Première (Red)Chimay Première (Red)
4.15/5
Exceptional
Chimay Première (Red)Chimay Première (Red)

Bières de Chimay
chimay.be

Style: Dubbel

This copper-colored ale boasts flavors of apricots, brown sugar and nutmeg. Brewed since 1982, Chimay Première is the first beer ever produced by the Trappist monks of Notre-Dame de Scourmont Abbey in Belgium.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-20-2000

Ratings: 4,914 |  Reviews: 1,711

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Bottle of 330 ml, served in a Chimay glass at home.
Colour is of honey, still very dark when hold against the light.Head is beige in color, thin and didn't stay for long. I would have given it an even higher grade if it wasn't for the head, but even so, it's beautiful.
Very sweet aroma of fruits, maybe plums, or prunes.
Taste is also sweet, fruits such as apricots but sort of caramelized, very close to dadels. Unique.
Thick on the body with average carbonation.
Overall, a great beer, great quality and great value for money.

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

As I said in my review of the blue I liked all three of the Chimays. Butthebluewas definitely my personal favorite. I know that you want thes reviews done a certain way but due to my MS some times my taste buds are a bit inactive and I can't give you a great description on what I taste. And other times my taste buds are over active and I will be able to detect things most people cannot. So I will do my best with what I have to work with.

4.46/5  rDev +7.5%

A-cloudy brown with a nice light tan head

S-very bready with a good dark belgian aspect to it. also with a hint of spearmint? odd but welcomed. good strength

T-comes in with a great aged taste of dark belgian malts. its a subtle but powerful flavor. it definitely has a nuttyness to it. oh its such a great and full flavored beer. matching after-taste...awesome

M-high carbonation with a decent semi dry finish

O-just a great and fantastic beer. i could have endless amounts of this. its so tasty and easy drinking. for the style, it doesn't get much better than this.

Chimay Première (Red) from Bières de Chimay