Chimay Première (Red) | Bières de Chimay

Chimay Première (Red)Chimay Première (Red)
4.15/5
Chimay Première (Red)Chimay Première (Red)

Bières de Chimay
chimay.be

Style: Dubbel

This copper-colored ale boasts flavors of apricots, brown sugar and nutmeg. Brewed since 1982, Chimay Première is the first beer ever produced by the Trappist monks of Notre-Dame de Scourmont Abbey in Belgium.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-20-2000

Ratings: 4,905 |  Reviews: 1,708
4.06/5  rDev -2.2%

A friend gave this to me though I did like the apricot nutty taste the body was just very light, too light for me and the flavor seemed to be inconsistent with every sip.

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.99/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.84/5  rDev -7.5%

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured in a tulip glass slowly but still yielded large head that lasted well. Dark caramel colour of semi transparent goodness. Not much nose here fairly typical ale smell. Body was very good thanks fo ample nucleation throughout the drink. Great pick.

4.02/5  rDev -3.1%

3.62/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

4.44/5  rDev +7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.29/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.9/5  rDev -6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Chimay glass

L: majestic 2" cloud of level foam that reduces to soapy half inch after a couple of minutes. Light brown color. lace sticks lightly down the sides of the glass for 10 minutes as I drink. this is a beautiful glass of beer

S: sweet plum, spicy/dry white pepper, distinct underlying herbal/medicinal character. fascinating complexities in the nose

T: lightly sweet brown sugar up front. then a hint of fruit, maybe plum. the malt hints briefly at chocolate before a medicinal/herbal dry finish. the aftertaste has a metallic tea character that's off-putting for me, I don't understand it

F: lovely foamy-smooth body, swirls creamy around the palate, really great

O: beautiful appearance, fascinating nose, fantastic mouthfeel. I've had this beer many times, I always want to love it but the finish and aftertaste don't drive me back to this beer

3.89/5  rDev -6.3%

Bought as a 750 mL corked bottle at the LCBO in Hamilton, Ontario.
L: Light reddish brown with a copious, white pillowy head. Good head retention and lacing on the sides of the glass.
S: Not sure what I'm smelling.
T: Malty.
F: Well carbonated and dry.
O: A very pleasant Belgian Dubbel.

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Could not believe my eyes when I went into the local Kroger-- they closed these out and put them on clearance at $2.29 for a 11.2oz bottle!!! So naturally I scooped up all of these (14 of them) and bought them.

Beer looks wonderful in a glass, a good copper color with 1 inch head. Smell is mostly malt and yeast. Taste is very consistent, cherries, spice, and other fruits are present. Mouthful feels excellent-- perfect carbonation, light mouthful, and finishes clean and not dry.

Cannot believe I got these as cheap as I did, but still a wonderful Dubbel to enjoy. Highly recommended.

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Another great beer that I have enjoyed with steak, Shepard's Pie and burgers. I do like the copper-color yet I found that the flavors of apricots and brown sugar did not come through with enough. For me, the nutmeg was the predominant flavor. Great finish and overall a great choice for anyone wanting to try a new Dubbel.

3.94/5  rDev -5.1%

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into snifter.

Appearance: Ring of head. Patch of lace. Opaque brown.

Nose: Magnificent chocolate, currant, dark cherries.

Taste: Nice malt backbone over a creamy, balanced sort of grape and spice.

Mouth: Carbonated but not stinging or warm. Smooth and wet for such a dry taste.

What can one say? Chimay are wizards. A dubbel well done.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

3.86/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Bought the bottle on a supermarket. I don't know if I tasted it right... but I think the one I bought was skunked. What I tasted was underwhelming compared to the reviews this beer got on the internet. It was still better tasting than the popular brands though. The after taste is really great, gives a wine like aftertaste that is nice to the mouth.

Look: Beautiful copper color with a nice thick head. Marvelous in my honest opinion.
Smell: Slight undertones of wood and an overpowering smell of yeast. Not bad, but could be better.
Taste: Woody taste and slight bitters on the first sip. The following sips taste better. Gives off a smooth creamy taste from the foam and an exciting buzz from the beer.
Feel: Light and crisp at first but will then coat the whole mouth with a thick feel, almost maple syrupy feeling. This last a few minutes even after finishing the bottle.

Overall: Will try again, but was disappointed from reading too much great reviews (my fault). This is a really great beer. Cheers

Definitely one of the best beers in the world. Has an extremely well balanced taste. This Belgian beer is the one I introduce to my wine friends due to its complexity and wide range of flavors. I love the Chimay line and I'm able to get bottles of the red for around $9 which makes this extremely hard to beat.

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%