Light Beer

Reviews: 43 | Ratings: 122 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by SB2017:
SB2017 from Iowa

1.44/5  rDev -41%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.5

Oof, you have no idea how badly I wanted this beer to be good. At about 40 cents per can I had the highest hopes for this beer to be a crisp and refreshing one. Instead, I am greeted on the nose with an oddly sweet and undeniably moscato-like smell. The taste retains this sweetness, but brings in quite a bit of funk as well. This beer is just too flavorful to be a beer for getting drunk with nothing to enjoy about it in the first place. Very bad beer

Mar 12, 2018
JMKeynes from Maryland

1.35/5  rDev -44.7%

One line review: this is objectively one of the worst beers I have have ever had, please save yourself $22 and don't buy it.

Long review: so, I've been seeing this case of beer at Costco for a few years and I've always been curious, but I don't buy really cheap beer, so I've never known. However, last weekend my good friend had a bachelor party (15 dudes), so I bought a case since we needed quantity over quality. There were still 24 beers left (all kirkland light) after a 48 hour party where over 300 beers were consumed. Why, do you ask? The beer was avoided by everyone because it tastes exactly like a can of seltzer water with maybe a few ounces worth of stale cheap light beer dunked into it. It is ridiculously foamy, absurdly carbonated, flavorless, and simply bad. Honestly, it doesn't even taste like beer. Here is a list of cheap beers that were completely finished before the Kirkland Light: Hamm's, PA Style Light, Natty Bo, PBR. No one enjoyed the Kirkland Light. It's not worth the money even if it is cheap!

Sep 14, 2015
Hundo18 from Alaska

HIPSTERS BEWARE! This is a generic lager equivalent to Keystone Light , Busch Light or Milwaukee's Best Light. If you are looking for notes of honeysuckle fairy wings and notes of oak from an endangered forest...you chose the wrong beer, you paid $22 for 48 beers...get drunk and get over yourself.

Feb 18, 2016
nikhilsaini101 from Massachusetts

3.4/5  rDev +39.3%

Made me look and smell GREAT for 3 days straight. My fiance says I didn't taste so good so I had to give a 1. Feelings......oh the feelings were just unreal. Overall it's nothing short of a PHENOMENAL product. I have 2 JOEs that would agree. Def going to win some awards....I mean the gas exchange after 7 days post drinking are worthy of awards.....def not the beer!

Oct 20, 2016
Muss42 from Michigan

2.67/5  rDev +9.4%

Well it is Christmas time and travels with family. Figured I needed to try this. Very similar to a Busch light. Where was this in college at $21 for 48 beers!?!?

Dec 30, 2017
MuricanBeerLuva from Kentucky

4.5/5  rDev +84.4%

At first I was skeptical- this was recommended to me by a Kentucky Wildcats fan.

But after just one sip, my life changed forever! Imagine Bud Light and Coors Light get hammered one night and 9 months later they end up having an illegitimate child- that would be K Light!

It brings a tear to my eye that I live in a country where I can enjoy 48 of these puppies for $22 bucks! God Bless 'Murica!

Nov 24, 2015
Jmaphet from California

2.47/5  rDev +1.2%

This beer is exactly what's it's suppose to be. It's a light beer that outcompetes all other light beers in pricing that taste similar. Kirkland has succeeded .

Oct 07, 2016
dannispel from Minnesota

2.03/5  rDev -16.8%

This is my favorite light lager. It has a mildly enjoyable caramel flavor but no head retention, smell, or real body. Regardless of price point, it's better than Bud Light, Coors Light, etc. Considering the price point, WOW! My buddy and I went to Costco the other day and saw these. $9.97 for 48. Yep, we did a double take too, and then we bought three. What a deal.

Oct 25, 2017
For_those_near_death from Switzerland

Sometimes, after a long day of yard work, I want a cold one (or three). When sweat piles up, and achy muscles are the norm, an esoteric Belgian Ale, or Genovese craft la birra would be sadly unappreciated.

I've done my own research on taste for the ultra-lights ~4.1% ABV, and rank in order of most appreciated for taste and for satisfying my need for a cold one: Milwaukee's Best Light, Corona Light, Michelob Ultra, and Natural Light.

The good news is that I would rank Kirkland Signature Light Beer in a first place tie with Milwaukee's Best Light.

The even better news was that Costco retails a box of 48 cans for $21 and change.

A = light lager-ish, grey can
S= lets not dwell on it
T= surprisingly enjoyable warmth and fresh-white-bready
M= best cold
O= it's a low cost heavy carry to the car, but worth it

105 calories, 6.6g carbs, 4.2% ABV, ~77% cal from alcohol

errata: The beer is made by "Regal Brau Brewing Company, LLC 1208 14th Avenue, Monroe, WI 53566, USA" Regal Brau is made by Minhas Craft Brewery in Monroe, Wisconsin. Please edit this beer and correct my info if necessary. Thanks :)

Sep 21, 2014
bertthesquirt from California

Similar to Bud or Coors lite. Who came up with the color of the can?

Feb 21, 2015
sct from Florida

1.17/5  rDev -52%

Corn and more corn, simply awful, for a Costco product I would expect more but it's cheap and the taste is probably to be expected.

Feb 21, 2015
SeanMNCraftBeerLover from Minnesota

1.34/5  rDev -45.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.25

Sep 12, 2015
darkfruits from Virginia

2.42/5  rDev -0.8%

Oct 23, 2015
Hopsman99 from North Carolina

1.14/5  rDev -53.3%

I am all about the value that CostCo brings. I was impressed about how they selected their red wines for quality and value. The beer buyers got the value right but missed tremendously on Kirkland quality. They should take the "Signature" off the label, call it light beer and call it a day. Maybe they could market it to Hollywood as well. I am sure the actors would rather drink beer rather than water in a "light beer" can.

Mar 24, 2015
awdlmd from Ohio

1.85/5  rDev -24.2%

Had to try this out of curiosity. Pours clear yellow and fizzy. Head dissipates quickly to nothing. Very little carbonation. What little smell and taste that is present is mainly grainy but weak. This beer is a disappointment even by the standard of a cheap domestic light. The main problem is too little carbonation, like drinking a flat beer. The second problem is the flavor is too weak. I prefer some grainy flavor in my cheap domestics and there is not enough here. This is not a beer to be poured into a glass and examined. Drink it as cold as possible out of the can as quick as possible. There are better options for a stock, lawnmower or lake type beer.

Feb 07, 2016
dddddddd from Washington

2.98/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Oct 26, 2015
redsoxjim from Massachusetts

2.45/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

May 02, 2015
TwoWheeledBeard from Vermont

I was recently at a Deep USA Bachelor Party weekend. We had 48 of these cold wonders, and it was barely enough...

One of my favorite pastimes is to poor a cold light beer into a cup and add a splash of orange juice. For reasons only known by the good folks of Kirkland, Minhas, and Costco, this beer is balanced in such away that brings out what is best in drinking at breakfast.

So cheers to you Kirkland Signature Light, and cheers to America.

Apr 22, 2015
HopHunter19 from Missouri

3.42/5  rDev +40.2%

@ - piss yellow, no head
S - corn. Tangy grain. But not off putting.
T - same as smell.
M - light. Aftertaste pretty much non existent. Alcohol completely covered.
O - exactly what it's supposed to be.

Nov 28, 2015
a1jtproperty from Michigan

4.39/5  rDev +79.9%

The best light beer I've had by far, well balanced, decent fllavor, smells like light beer. Keep in mind, this is not a specialty craft, so don't treat it as such.

May 26, 2015
Parmesan from Colorado

L: Very clear straw colored, a very thin fizzy head, that lasts less than a minute, no lacing on the glass a lot of carbonation bubbles.

S: Slight grain, corn and some slight apple, a very small mineral aroma near the end.

T: Very little there mostly grain, no bitterness, a hint of apple, very little flavor at all.

F: Light, clean and very easy drinking, high carbonation

O: This is your average light beer with very little flavor, if lights beers are your thing go for it, but other than I don't recommend it.

Feb 19, 2016
KevinOmaha from Nebraska

4.07/5  rDev +66.8%

Good cheap light beer. Better than alternative budget light beers and great for camping or after working in the yard.

Aug 12, 2015
shreead from Pennsylvania

2.62/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Apr 16, 2017
cubbyZilla from New York

1.37/5  rDev -43.9%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Sep 10, 2015
VABA from Virginia

A-Pours a straw color with a slight head and lacing
A-Aroma has slight grain hints
T-The taste follows the nose with a slight grain flavor
M-A light bodied decently carbonated beer
O-A mediocre lager