Kirkland Signature Pale Ale | Kirkland Signature / Costco Wholesale Corporation

Kirkland Signature Pale AleKirkland Signature Pale Ale

Kirkland Signature / Costco Wholesale Corporation
Washington, United States

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by Troyone on 03-19-2009

1.25/5  rDev -60.2%

1.5/5  rDev -52.2%

2.1/5  rDev -33.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

From 12 ounce bottle to wine glass Appearance: Deep light brown-yellow, white head, not a lot, minimal lacing Aroma: very fruity aroma Taste: lightly toasted grains, slight chocolate Feel: foamy creamy feel Overall: Overall fair beer, not expensive cheap

2.14/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

This one had a chemical taste to me.

2.19/5  rDev -30.3%

Best by: Oct 22, 2011

A: pours an amber ale with two fingers of peanut head which falls quickly to a sheet of the same. No lacing. Excellent clarity.

S: Sweet malts, herbal hops. More sweet malts. Some chemical smells here. Some butter, some corn.

T: Tastes like cheap, oxidized malts, tea, herbal hops and sugar.

M: Medium body with hi carb. Dry finish

O: Not a good beer, and not much different than the IPA IMO.

2.25/5  rDev -28.3%

2.25/5  rDev -28.3%

2.27/5  rDev -27.7%

I love all things Kirkland and am also a big fan of Costco, but this beer was a genuine let-down. As a craft beer fan, I love hops that really punch you in the face, but as a realistic beer consumer, I also know that a lot of people who drink beer DON'T like this, and as a result there are quite a few more mild mannered beers out there, which is fine. I guess what is disappointing to me about this beer is that the name "pale ale" sort of implies to me that at least some discernible hop presence is contained within the bottle, and I did not find that to be the case here. Much like Bud American Ale, which promised hops and taste and delivered a disappointing blandness, I feel as though this beer is not what it implies.

It pours an attractive brassy color, with a pretty nice amount of head. Aroma is biscuity and malty, and not really at all hoppy. Flavor is very mildly hoppy - these beers are relatively new and the one I tried I thought was fresh, but the flavor within reminded me of hops gone bad - like when a super hoppy beer gets old and loses both its hop punch and its balance, becoming a big malt-ball. Mouthfeel was unremarkable.

I love Costco, and I am a big fan of their store brand (Kirkland), but that respect does not extend to their beer. I cannot in good faith recommend this to anyone.

2.28/5  rDev -27.4%

2.28/5  rDev -27.4%

Color is golden orange. It has a white head that dissipates very quickly. It appears to be very carbonated as I see lots of effervescence. I can smell some malts and it has an aroma similar to a pilsner lager. Bitterness is the first thing I noticed after tasting--and it totally overpowers the malts. The bitterness isn't pleasant and leaves a lingering aftertaste. I'm really curious about what variety of hops were used, as the IBU rating of 35 is relatively low. After it warmed up, the bitterness was even more pronounced. Body is very light and when combined with the carbonation, it reminds me very much of a pilsner lager.

2.33/5  rDev -25.8%

This was one bottle of 24 in a pack acquired at Costco today for $19.00. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a Oskar Blues pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are average; this is my second Kirkland Signature beer and the IPA I had before this was average. I certainly like the price. 5.4% ABV confirmed.

Served straight from the refrigerator. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a two finger thin white head of no real cream. Retention is above average, though the ABV is merely 5.4%. Body colour is a clear pale copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Looks like a typical pale ale; standard fare.

Sm: Buttery. Pale malts, biscuit malt. Generic floral hops. Very little character. Bland and boring. An average strength aroma.

T: Pale malts, floral hops, straw, barley, light nectary hops. Very grainy foundation mixed with an artificial sweetness. Bland, boring, and uninspired. Strangely sweet, to its detriment. A pretty mundane pale ale. Not real well balanced either. This is about as dull as a pale ale gets. Why brew this? Tastes like an extract homebrew.

Mf: Smooth and wet, and also unnaturally thin. Carbonation is overdone. Meh. Doesn't really suit the flavour profile.

Dr: Drinkable but beyond mediocre. If you like a novice homebrewer's extract concoction, this may be for you. If you like a tasty refreshing pale ale, I'd steer clear of this one. Hides its ABV well. I'd even sooner take Simpler Times from Trader Joe's over this at this price point. In fact, I'm pretty sure Simpler Times is half the price of this.

Low D+

2.36/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.36/5  rDev -24.8%

Bought in a 24 pack with other Kirkland beers - poured into a pint glass.

This beer pours a pretty Amber color with great clarity but absolutely no head and no lacing whatsover.
Smells like corn and soap, no hops in the nose.
Tastes like an adjuncty lager but with decent hop balance

Over all this beer is just not that great. I wouldn't seek it out by any means.

2.38/5  rDev -24.2%

After seeing the label, I was expecting the worst of the worst. However what I experienced was not extremely terrible. The head disappered quite quickly and the smell was not very noticeable. The taste was pretty generic/bland and not very good. But for the price, this is not a value brand to pass up.

2.39/5  rDev -23.9%

Another review of flavored water.
Why did I buy this case.

Appearance: A good looking clear pale amber color with a nice looking white head. Leaves nice lacing on the glass. Forget it after this.

Smell: uneventful. Little hop citrus and slight malty nose.

Taste: Wow, is that water! The Kirkland line of beers have a big watery style. Then, they add a little flavoring. A little dry citrus taste and a little sweet malt. Nothing that stands out but, that water is fresh!

Mouthfeel: The watery style cleans the palate fairly well from overpowering flavor of ... water. Ok, it has a little dry citrusy bit and a strange taste of sugar. I swear once in a while on the aftertaste I get a table sugar taste.

Drinkable: For me I'll pass. The german and hefe were a little more drinkable.

Save your money and go buy, at least, good beer.

2.48/5  rDev -21%

2.48/5  rDev -21%

An interesting pour from my brown bottle. This beer has historically, from notes that is, poured an orange amber in color. Now, from this new mixed case which includes a Wit and an IPA, the Pale Ale pours quite pale. Downright golden in color, perhaps a deep straw, and quite clear. A different beer indeed which lacks any true carbonation and offers only a fleeting cap of foam before surrendering to a thin ring.

Nose is ultra pale in nature. Bit of malt in the background and with a very light hint of citric hops. Quite 'Blonde Ale' in nature at best, and thin at that.

Flavor follows suit. All malt perhaps and slightly bready with a minimal hop profile. Offers a moderate amount of coarse spice on the feel. A decent Blonde Ale to a point but somewhat of a fail for a Pale Ale.

Offers a hollow and over filtered yeast lameness which is somewhat reminiscent of a Sam Adams beer. In fact, I think that's what it is...Oops, I'm sorry, did I say that out loud?

2.5/5  rDev -20.4%

2.5/5  rDev -20.4%

2.51/5  rDev -20.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada imperial pint. 5.4% ABV, 35 IBUs, Best before Jun 21, 2010 printed on the neck.

A - Completely clear golden amber with moderate carbonation going up to a off-white head. Three-fingers tall with solid retention and patchy lace coating most of the glass.

S - Faint aroma in general that has the majority of the nose coming from lightly citrusy and floral hops. A drop of lemon livens what's there up. A background of pale malts isn't all too supportive.

T - A protein-tannin thing seems to overshadow what little flavor is there. Lemony citrus hop and an herbal touch. Low malt presence. It gets really metallic on the finish.

M - Medium-light bodied with a really dry metallic finish that kills the good hop bitterness at the start.

D - Blah. I can finish it but the metallic flavor and feel gets worse sip by sip. Not something I'd like to have again. Giving the last half to my brother.

Kirkland Signature Pale Ale from Kirkland Signature / Costco Wholesale Corporation