Kirkland Signature Pale Ale | Kirkland Signature / Costco Wholesale Corporation

Okay
Kirkland Signature Pale AleKirkland Signature Pale Ale

Kirkland Signature / Costco Wholesale Corporation
Washington, United States

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by Troyone on 03-19-2009

View: Beers
firstprev| 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next → last
3.6/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Leave to the ingenious people at Costco to get their "own" beer. Can't beat that, or the price, $17 an assorted case! We'll the price is right, let's give it a whirl to see how it pans out. Bottle smell is citrusy and zesty. Pours to a golden bronze with off white head. Taste is nice and hoppy up front, not overly bitter, transitions to a sweeter malty middle then the hops finish out with a zesty bitterness. Mouthfeel is spot on to spark up the flavor but not mask it. For the style it hits the mark. This is a tasty brew for $4 a sixer to boot. Kudos to Costco for getting the customer what they like!

2.27/5  rDev -26.3%

I love all things Kirkland and am also a big fan of Costco, but this beer was a genuine let-down. As a craft beer fan, I love hops that really punch you in the face, but as a realistic beer consumer, I also know that a lot of people who drink beer DON'T like this, and as a result there are quite a few more mild mannered beers out there, which is fine. I guess what is disappointing to me about this beer is that the name "pale ale" sort of implies to me that at least some discernible hop presence is contained within the bottle, and I did not find that to be the case here. Much like Bud American Ale, which promised hops and taste and delivered a disappointing blandness, I feel as though this beer is not what it implies.

It pours an attractive brassy color, with a pretty nice amount of head. Aroma is biscuity and malty, and not really at all hoppy. Flavor is very mildly hoppy - these beers are relatively new and the one I tried I thought was fresh, but the flavor within reminded me of hops gone bad - like when a super hoppy beer gets old and loses both its hop punch and its balance, becoming a big malt-ball. Mouthfeel was unremarkable.

I love Costco, and I am a big fan of their store brand (Kirkland), but that respect does not extend to their beer. I cannot in good faith recommend this to anyone.

3.33/5  rDev +8.1%

Appearance has a nice amber color to it with a thin head, but fair lace. Smell is light in caramel, grainy malt and mild hops. Taste has a fair amount of malt thats ligthly sweet with a grapefruit bitterness. Mouthfeel has good body and carbonation. Overall not bad of a brew, although it needs to be a bit more balanced.

3.45/5  rDev +12%

A friend gave me this to try. I poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a standard pint glass. It pours a pale yellow with a moderate 2 finger head. The aroma is strong on pine and a bit sweet. The taste is a let down. There is a bit of citrus and a slight bitterness to it, but IMO it is a bit too thin. It is not a terrible beer, especially at 18 bucks a case, but it is not a case I would pick up.

3.62/5  rDev +17.5%

Presentation:
12 oz brown long neck bottle poured into a drinking glass. No freshness date. Part of the 24 mix pack from Costco.

Visual:
Poured a bit watery into a copper/amber orange body with an off-white head. Big bubbles that popped and dissipated rather quickly into average lacing.

Aroma:
Definitely more malt than hops in this brew. Lots of caramel, slight candy/buttery diacetyl, and smooth - no graininess. Citrus and herbal notes from the hops that seem to highlight the malt, but don't make themselves known.

Taste:
Again, more malt than hops, but that's not entirely a bad thing. Lots of mandarin orange flavors, followed by citrusy hops, pale and caramel malts, with a slight toasty bread finish. Watery mouthfeel and medium bodied. Surprisingly no signature PA bitterness. Rather, a smooth bready finish and a slight hoppy aftertaste.

Overall:
Not bad at all. Definitely the best of the four in the KS mix pack, and a decent Pale Ale for the price - highly drinkable at that. I would thoroughly enjoy this again and wish I could find a six pack of it by itself (the other 3 six-packs aren't worth the price).
Would do well against mild chili, savory meats (especially game), crusty bread loafs, and nutty cheeses.

Cheers!

3.94/5  rDev +27.9%

My first review! I got all geeked out thinking I would be the first to review this beer to pop my Ba review cherry, and in a way I am -- I got mine at a Costco in New York, where it's contract brewed by New Yorker Brewing Company in Utica, NY.

Anyway. All I would add to the previous reviews is that this is an awesome value for the money -- in terms of taste and aroma there is nothing that can touch this for a similar price ($18.99 for a mixed case of all 4 styles). Great pale ale taste -- prominent hops but not off the charts. It does not have the complexity or the body of (say) Sierra Nevada or Victory products but I'd be interested in how this would stack up in a blind taste test because its appearance, color, etc., while not remarkable, are right up there. I wonder how the CA version would compare because having lived in both states I find that many NY State beers suffer owing to (in my opinion) the water up there (but that's for another review). I give Costco a lot of credit for this because their beer offerings (at least in my area) are polarized between the (formerly) US macros and Beck's on one hand and variety cases on the other. Definitely something to check out at a low risk.

3.22/5  rDev +4.5%

The last of the Kirkland beers that my friend brought to my place.

A: Pours a pleasantly clear straw-colored body in the glass. No retention on the head, no lacing.

S: Smells a lot like the amber ale, but without caramel: grain, nuts, bread, and some hops (earthy). Not very pungent here either, but it's all right.

T: Follows the taste very well. The initial taste is malty (bread) with nuts and grain coming in gradually. Earthy hops flesh out the flavor during the swig, and carry into the aftertaste.

M: A modest and understated flavor; it has a presence, but doesn't shock the palate. Would be a decent session beer if it weren't 5+%.

D: The best out of the four Kirkland varieties. I'd probably navigate to this one if I were offered a choice.

3.75/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This mixed case from a Portland Costco for $18 is quite the deal for craft brew.

Pours golden straw into a pint glass. Lighter than many pales, but darker than say, most American lagers. A white cap quickly fades, leaving no lacing.

Grainy, nutty, bready malts on the nose, with some herbal hops. Maybe even some grassy, Noble hops? Less hoppy than I typically expect from a West-Coast pale, but I'm liking the balance on this one. Not the most intensity, but not bad.

Modest grain and hop flavors, as well. Good balance, maybe could have used more hops, I'm beginning to think even more that it might have some Noble hops, I'm reminded of a pils I had recently. Bittering is moderate, enough to notice, but not too much. Medium body and medium finish is good.

Overall, not unimpressed, certainly for the price, but it's no Mirror Pond or Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I might be getting the case from Costco again, but it probably won't be on the strength of this pale. The easy drinking nature of this beer, with the low price point and versatile food pairing makes this high on my drinkability scale.

This was average for a pale ale.

Appearance- gold color, transparent

Smell- malty aroma

Taste- grainy malt

Mouthfeel- light bodied

Drinkability- pretty drinkable, ok, great for the price, great deal on these at Costco, got a case of 24 beers for 15 bucks

3.07/5  rDev -0.3%

Inexpensive pack of beers from costco here. Certainly no complaints w/r/t value.

This is a relatively simple pale ale, as could be expected.
A light golden beer with about an 1/8 inch of head that settles quickly...Smells like a pretty typical west coast pale- it's somewhat more balanced though, with sweet malt and citrus hops on the nose. The beer has some hop bitterness but is mostly balanced, but not exactly the most drinkable brew. As it warmed up, I found myself struggling more and more with the mediocre medium-body and bland taste.

Not a complete miss, and not completely unexpected.

3.6/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This is a pretty decent pale ale from Kirkland (Costco) that is purchased at $19 a mixed case in my neck of the woods. It's a nice golden yellow poured into a glass with a decent head and moderate lacing. The smell is modest but inviting nonetheless for its balance between malt and hops. The taste mirrors this in that it has decent malt sweetness and hop bitterness and zest on the finish. This is a very non-taxing or over powering beer that is really easy and enjoyable to drink. Pretty good for the price. The other beers in the mixed case follow along these lines in that they are honest, easy drinkers with good flavor.

3.75/5  rDev +21.8%

Pours a clear amber color with an apple juice hue and minimal white head with moderate action and a hint of sediment.

Caramel and barley grain malt aroma with florals.

Has a grainy barley malt taste with a hint of grapefruit and butter.

Light bodied, resinous and slight butter feel, with lively crisp carbonation.

Definite session beer and the grainy barley taste is not to sweet.

firstprev| 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next → last
Kirkland Signature Pale Ale from Kirkland Signature / Costco Wholesale Corporation