Steptoe Stout | Palouse Falls Brewing Company

Palouse Falls Brewing Company
Washington, United States
palousefallsbrewing.com

Style: American Stout

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by RJLarse on 11-16-2009

Reviews by MeanJoe:

3.33/5  rDev -0.3%

Taster from the tap early in 2010.

The Steptoe Stout has a good body and mouthfeel with great upfront taste that quickly slides away before barely hanging on to the palette for a minute. It is a good balance of sweet, dry and chocolate. I'd rate it between average and solid.

4.25/5  rDev +27.2%

2.95/5  rDev -11.7%

I bought a growler full of Steptoe Stout at the brewery, while in town for WSU Dad's Weekend. So named for a landmark butte located about 30 miles north of Pullman. Poured in to a pint glass.

Pours a deep dark brown/black color and is opaque. Very small beige head dissipates quickly leaving little or no lace on the glass.

Smell is sweet, like molasses and brown sugar. Aroma is a bit one-dimensional for a stout ale.

This one is all about sweet on the taste. Again, the molasses and sugar flavors give it a syrup taste, and there is an artificial tasting smoke flavor. I wouldn't be surprised if some sort of liquid smoke product is in this brew somewhere. It lacks the charcoal, coffee and chocolate flavors one might expect in a stout.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, maybe a little thin for a stout. It's not thick, syrupy or cloying at all.

Except for what I perceive as an artificial smoke flavor, this is really a very drinkable beer. In fact it's a pretty good choice for folks who don't like stouts or dark beer. I know people who say "dark beer tastes like motor oil" and this definitely does not. Might be a nice crossover beer for non-stout drinkers, but it leaves a lot to be desired in terms of the style.

This one makes me want to revisit the Laughing Dog Sweet Stout. It's been a while and I wonder if my taste for that beer has changed over time.

I'm putting this in as an American Stout, but it may well be a sweet or milk stout once more is known about the recipe and the brewing process. If so we'll change it.

Steptoe Stout from Palouse Falls Brewing Company