HopBot IPA | Hop City Brewing Co.

HopBot IPAHopBot IPA

Hop City Brewing Co.
Ontario, Canada
hopcity.com

Style: American IPA

The Citra, Centennial, Mosaic, Summit and Willamette hops are perfectly balanced by a solid malt backbone.

Added by JackSkerry on 04-16-2014

4.31/5  rDev +14%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

New thought I will live this kind of beer. This is one of the beer I drink often, The Hop mixture is perfectly brewed.

Try this one

4.54/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.24/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.14/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I began this latest quest on Monday, which was Canadian Thanksgiving Day, by scouring my backlog to see what Canadian beers might lay in wait. Unfortunately for my plans, two of the first three were a**kicking AMLs from Labatt & then I was on a planned expedition on Tuesday. This is less hair of the dog and more like the horse that I rode in on. This is also my last Canadian beer for the foreseeable future as I work on the rest of my backlog.

From the bottle: "Craft with attitude,"; "Programmed with 5 West Coast American hops, HopBot IPA brings out waves of absurd citrus and tropical aroma and flavor. The Citra, Centennial, Mosaic, Summit and Willamette hops provide 70 IBUs which are perfectly balanced by a solid malt backbone."

I Pop!ped the cap, which was a pleasant feeling & I did a gentle pour for on other reason than it was early & I did not feel like cleaning up a mess, if one occurred. An in-glass swirl raised a finger of dense, foamy, tawny head with good retention. Color was Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled more strongly of earthy malts than of all of the hops being touted on the label. Hmm. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was an unexpected jolt of especially resinous pine hops, initially, followed by a wash of tropical fruit flavors like mango, papaya & guava and underlain by a more earthy than biscuity malt flavor. Wow! Well, if I was not quite awake before, I definitely am now! Phew.

Now, here is my conundrum - Mitch Steele has recently been quoted as saying that (A)IPAs have become too prevalent and some are too hoppy & bitter to be enjoyable. Hmmm. As a self-described, self-avowed hophead, I almost always derive enjoyment from precisely the sort of thing that Mr. Steele is describing. That was certainly the case here as the hops were pretty unrelenting, but I did not feel that they were overdone/overused where I have encountered that in some AIPAs. I mention this only because I am skewed in favor of hop-driven beers, plus I try to find something to like in a beer, rather than looking to fault the brewer. Yeah, it makes me a lenient rater, but that is why I always include a review - I want to qualify my quantifications.

The finish was dry, but I would not call it outright bitter. The term "juicy" gets used a good bit and I feel that it applies in this case. The citrus fruit flavors especially lingered and the pine flavor was more resinous and minty than bitter. I liked it well enough and having seen one reviewer's mention of it coming in a CAN, I would definitely revisit it, given the opportunity.

4.06/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A nice amber near-clear IPA with a decent blend of hops & malt which gives a hop forward taste with a well balanced biscuity sweetness to keep the bitterness at bay, although it peeks through on the finish. Notes of pine, floral, citrus, tangerine, melon all combine in a sweet/smooth moderately light hop rush which give way to just a hint more bitterness on the tongue than I'd like at the end. One of the better Canadian IPAs I've had but can't quite match the flavour or balance of a Heady Topper or Lagunitas Hop Stoopid. This rivals for the best IPAs available from the LCBO.

4.06/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.25/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.45/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Got this one at the LCBO this past summer.

From a can into a snifter
IBU: 70
Hops: Citra, Centennial, Mosaic, Summit & Willamette

APPEARANCE: Pours a 2+ finger, medium looking, creamy white head with great retention. Clear burnt orange with next to no carbonation. Head slowly fades to a foamy cap and clings to the sides of the glass. A splotchy wisp remains leaving touches of lacing as the glass empties.

SMELL: Citrus hops, lemon, honeydew melon, pineapple and some tropical fruits. A bit of caramel as well. Bold enough.

TASTE: Caramel sweetness and grassy, piney hops up front. More tropical fruits at the swallow with a bolder and lingering finish of melon, piney notes, lemon, tropical fruits, mango and hop bitterness. Pretty flavorful.

PALATE: Medium body and medium levels of carbonation. Slightly foamy on the palate, goes down fine and finishes a bit dry. Some bitterness lingers.

OVERALL: Pretty decent. A good nose on this one and the flavor is pretty enjoyable as well. The feel could be less foamy but it doesn’t detract from the experience too much. A good beer from Hop City. Cheers!

3.87/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.83/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.4/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.96/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours - Golden orange color with nice white head good lacing.

Smell - Lots of orange peel and tropical fruit, little bit of hop and malt hints as well.

Taste - Slightly hoppy, good mango, orange flavors little bit of bitterness.

Feel - Medium body, well carbonated little dry.

Overall - I really enjoyed this beer, the tropical flavors mixed with the hops made it stand out.

4.03/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.9/5  rDev +3.2%

It's very cheap in France (1.8 €), especially for an IPA from accross the Atlantic. But for the price, it is quite good. Solid hop aromas, it is up there with let's say, Brewdog's Hardcore IPA, for less than half the price... It is also, I think, much better than other American IPAs we can find in shops in France, like Lost Coast, again for half the price.

3.64/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.81/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.88/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I never would have bought this beer except as I was cruising through the aisles at my favorite beer store I noticed a sign for two free glasses with the purchase of a case of Hopbot IPA. So I got out my iPhone and checked it out and thought OK, and put the case of Hopbot IPA 12oz bottles on my hand-cart.
A good deal I thought for $34.00 - two free glasses with a case of IPA 12oz bottles brewed with Citra, Centennial, Mosaic, Summit, and Willamette hops. I was a little concerned that I couldn't find a brew date on the container but I figured I love the brews from the NE US and Ontario is right next door.
I was right. There are many good IPAs out there and this is one of them. Everything is there the way it should be - aroma, flavor, balance, blah, blah, blah; but also the little things like lacing and head retention. Just a real nice IPA. Thanks Hopcity. I'm finishing my 4th Hopbot and thinking, damn ... life is good.

4.5/5  rDev +19%

I'm on a mission to find the best locally brewed IPAs (southern Ontario). At the moment I must say this is the benchmark for me. HOP BOT is a perfectly balanced IPA. Just the right amount of bitterness/sweetness combination. Decent amount of carbonation. Beautiful orange colour. Citrus, pine and earthy feel to this lovely beer. 7.1% ABV, which truly is masked, means you probably don't need to drink more than one (which is a good thing).

If IPAs are not your thing but you like the idea of it, this brewery has a pale ale called "Big Mouth Pale Ale" which is literally a lighter version of this in all aspects. Give both a try; you won't regret it!

3.97/5  rDev +5%

Appearance - This beer poured an almost completely clear orangy amber color (might be a chill haze) with 2 fingers of off white head that fades to leave a ring around the edge with a light film.

Aroma - The aroma is of a strong citrus note, I get grapefruit, orange, mango, followed by caramel malts and a very light pine in the bacground.

Taste - The flavor profile is definitely something different from the norm, You get the same grapefruit, orange peel, and mango folllwed by what im getting as a light watermelon, then some caramel malts and pine, the pine is very light in this one though.

Feel - The feel is where I feel this one could be stronger, its a very watery feeling light medium body with some very light pricks coming from the carbonation.

Overall - No beer can be perfect and the flaws in feel are obvious with this one. With that said the aroma and flavor profile really do make this beer an interesting one to try and it does end up being a very smooth refreshing fruity beer. Definitely worth trying if you can get your hands on it!

4.52/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Call me under-educated when it comes to beer, but this IPA is second to none in the local Ontario craft brew market. Absolutely exquisite pint. Orange-copper look, thick foamy head, tangy, quite bitter... just a joy to drink. Cheers.

HopBot IPA from Hop City Brewing Co.