Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 2
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

3.6/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Served in straight pint glass. Poured just light of black with a tall tan head that had medium retention and lacing.

The rich, roasty aromas of the stout and porter styles are upfront in the nose. The flavors are also dominated by the roasted flavors, with a touch of malt sweetness on the finish.

The body is about what you'd expect for beer that refuses to identify itself. Drinkability is very good, I could see having multiples of these. Overall, a very decent beer. Worth trying if you see it.

3.98/5  rDev n/a

Had a pint of this on tap at Collins Pub. Was curious to try out the new brewery in town that I had just read about... They simply called it Odin's Black, and looking at the Odin web site, they refer to it as somewhere between a porter and a stout. I felt it leaned slightly more towards a porter. So, as the first reviewer, have classified it as such. Feel free to change/correct that if necessary.

In any regards, I asked our bartender what she thought of the new beers from Odin, and she mentioned they have been getting good feedback. They were actually sold out of the 'Ruby' already. So, decided to try the 'Black'.

I would agree that it is a bit different than a typical porter OR a typical stout (I have trouble classifying some of these in any regards), but like I said, for me, it seemed to lean closer to (what at least I think of as) a porter.

A - Pours the expected deep black, with a nice bit of chocolate colored head. Dissipated fairly quickly, and just a bit of lacing, but I did appreciate the unfiltered look of this very dark beer.

S - Definitely smokey peat and roasted malt. A bit of hops on the nose as well, and perhaps a hint of coffee in the roasted malts as well. Decent, but only moderate in strength.

T - Pretty impressive for such a young brewery. This bodes well for their future IMHO. I liked the initial (slight) sweetness and the roasted malt and smoky, peaty flavors I was getting at the start, and it ended with a nicely balanced amount of bitterness. Not overly bitter, and little in the way of herbal hops.

M - Somewhat creamy and thick, with a nice dry finish. Just right - I hate watery porters... Perhaps sligthly above average carbonation. Expected for a good porter, so didn't really surprise, but surely didn't detract.

D - Quite nice, I could easily have this again (and will when I see it). Smooth and clean, with a nice balance of flavors.

Overall a nice starting effort, and I look forward to trying the ruby as well.

Thor's Fury from Odin Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.