Thor's Equinox | Odin Brewing Company

Added by barleywinefiend on 08-18-2011

3.11/5  rDev -9.9%

3.69/5  rDev +7%

4.12/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

2.78/5  rDev -19.4%

I was excited to try this beer but the taste fell short. Nice on the nose, nice look, finish was metallic and flat. I'll admit I made the mistake of drinking a glass of IPA prior to the tasting but in my defense I cleansed my palate before popping the top. I wouldn't recommend this beer to a friend.

3.7/5  rDev +7.2%

Deep purple-brown when in the glass; light brown and rather thin-looking when being poured. Half a finger of big-bubbled light tan head.

Beautiful aroma. Smoked figs, toast, syrupy alcohol. Love the interplay of smoke and dark fruits.

Less smoky, more malty sweet. Figs, dates, brown sugar, toast, alcohol. Lingering booziness and fairly burly bitterness on the sides of the tongue.

Medium body, light electric tingle of carbonation.

Highly drinkable. Great smoky nose, decent malt complexity. Easily the best of Odin's beers.

3.43/5  rDev -0.6%

A- chestnut brown with ruby shine. Fingerlength head that melts quickly into the beer.

S- sweetness a little roasted nut and alcohol

t- big roasted barley flavor that seems out of style. Beer more resembles a brown nut ale than a belgium dark. I would rank it higher if it was. alcohol aftertaste

Overall: It tricked me. I was expecting fruity belgium goodness and got a very english style brown ale with american abv

3.96/5  rDev +14.8%

Maybe it's the black label that leads to darker expectations, but it's a brown amber color, slightly hazy. Long aromatic scent of roasted grain and caramel candy. Attractive swirly foam in the tall glass.

Plenty strong though not tasting of alcohol. This is more like a winter ale with plenty of roasted grain and a spicy undertone. Hops are quite understated, though there is a moderate bitter burn. The touch of Belgian yeastiness doesn't bloom into the dry intensity. Barely any sediment. A little hot at the finish just before your tongue goes numb.

Rather pleasant sipping beer. From the 22 oz bottle purchased at Wine World and Spirits in north Seattle.

3.52/5  rDev +2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.75

I've recently came to really enjoy this style so I've been trying a lot of Belgian dark ale's lately. The flavor of this one is slightly better than average but I think it's very much lacking in mouth feel. It has a nice roasted malt flavor mixed with burnt coffee and some hoppy bitterness. I wish it had more complexity but it is above average in my opinion. The malts also come through in the aroma which is a lot like a smoked porter. The light crispness of a Belgian ale really comes through in the end. The higher ABV is obvious but this beer is still very drinkable and light for a dark, winter ale.

3.66/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

This is my first Odin beer, I had not read any reviews prior to purchasing, drinking, or writing notes on the beer. It was affirming for me to see my thoughts line up pretty well with others, though I'm not as critical of the beer as some.

Nose: Sweet dark fruits - dark cherry and plum. Some alcohol pricking, caramel, light toastiness.

Taste: Big fig presence. Plum and a little bit of red grape. Quite a bit of alcohol warming towards the end - hits like 11% ABV except with an unusually light body. No sign of those Belgian yeasts I was expecting - I don't think they are necessary to be honest, but you kind of expect to find them when the bottle says "Belgian-style". I suppose that's a bit of an assumption on my part, because the dark fruit flavours are 'Belgian style' in their own right.

Thor's Equinox from Odin Brewing Company