Drummond Gluten Free | Something Brewing

Added by biboergosum on 03-02-2013

Reviews by wordemupg:
2.9/5  rDev +15.1%

355ml can poured into tulip 30/10/13

A clear amber liquid with just a few bubbles feeding a short lived finger of foam that leaves no lace

S weedy, musty honey and apple tea, a little toffee, and wet paper, smells strange but offensive

T more of the musty, weedy notes, some soggy herbal tea bag, again nothing special

M thin, enough bubbles to give it some life, aftertaste is hard to place

O hard to rate these gluten free beers I've been trying lately, this one wasn't horrible but I couldn't imagine a life with sorghum malt as my go to

I could at least finish the can unlike pretty much every other gluten free beer I've encountered, I thought it would be worse

2.82/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

355ml can, a single procured at a local-ish Sobey's outlet. 'Sorgrum' [sic] is the star here, apparently in a solo role, according to the small print on the label. And hey, Drummond, your website is still in park mode, so quit advertising it on your products.

This beer pours a clear, medium golden amber colour, with two fingers of broadly bubbly, somewhat foamy off-white head, which leaves a bit of specked lace around the glass as quickly fizzes out of sight.

It smells very much like grainy white grape juice, some free-range berry sugar, and earthy, weedy, and leafy hops - rather plain, for the most part. The taste is thinly grainy, more vegetal in nature than anything, with flat store-brand root beer, browned apples, a touch of sodden Wonderbread, and pithy wet musty hops.

The bubbles are present to a minor degree, but not worthy of a story arc, the body medium-light in weight, and adequately smooth, I suppose, the local troublemakers keeping their wayward edges to themselves. It finishes off-dry, the moving target fruitiness still pretty much the only game in town.

As far as these sorts of pseudo beers go (no offense, to anybody with the celiac affliction), this isn't all that bad, but here on BA we have to cram it into some normal beer category, and it seems that amber ales almost always get the call, and things are no different with this one. Inoffensive, mostly, and that's a bit of a riot, given this brewery's normal 'malted' products. 'Tis a funny world, indeed.

1.92/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

I realize Gluten Free beer will never taste as good as regular malt based beer, however, there are MUCH better versions of Gluten Free beer out there than this.

2.98/5  rDev +18.3%

My elation at opening a box from BigBry CANnot be adequately expressed unless you understand that to The CANQuest (TM), CANned beer from CANada trumps all!

From the CAN: "Exceptional Beer"; "Ingredients: Sorgrum, Hops, Gluten Free Yeast, Water."; "Please don't drink and drive"; "Return for refund where applicable".

The latter is no longer applicable at Chez Woody where all spent CANs are now going to a local CANlector.

I am using my new Anderson Valley CAN glass, one shaped like a CAN and perfect for a Crack & inverted Glug artist such as myself. The fizzing finger of bone-white foam quickly dissipated into wisps. Color was a pale amber with NE-quality clarity and I felt as though I were looking at a glass of tea. Nose had an odd scent, sort of like artificial sweetener. Mouthfeel was kind of astringent and the taste was oddly bready, sort of reminiscent of brown bread. Molasses-like, but not precisely since it did not have that sourish tartness. Finish was very dry, still astringent, like having partaken of alum. What an odd entry in The CANQuest (TM)! I do not have enough experience with gluten-free beers, but there really should be a separate category for them for people with celiac to be able to reference. JMHO.

1.52/5  rDev -39.7%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

The first gluten free beer I have ever tried. Picked it up as a single 355ml can at my local liquor store. Tastes extremely watered down and not a beer I would recommend. Luckily I don't have any problems consuming gluten but if you do I'm sure there must be better options out there.

Drummond Gluten Free from Something Brewing