Rodenbach Classic (Red) | Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.

Rodenbach Classic (Red)Rodenbach Classic (Red)
3.99/5
Very Good
Rodenbach Classic (Red)Rodenbach Classic (Red)

Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.
rodenbach.be

Style: Flanders Red Ale

ABV varies 5.0-5.2% ABV

View: Beers
Ratings: 1,858 |  Reviews: 693
Reviews by JSouth:
4.25/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours a mineral copper, like a filled pit mine. Appropriate khaki head, looks inviting.

Smells of cherry, grape, red wine vinegar.

Slightly tart at the corners of the mouth, unripe grapes, plum, yeast, tart cherry, balsamic vinegar.

Carbonation is lively but not overpowering, compliments a solid body. Smooth.

Very clean, lightly tart and acidic. Wine-like. Solid and easy drinking for the style.

3.9/5  rDev -2.3%

Natirar 5/9/15

Pour ruby red and the smell of a sour tart cherry gets you first. The taste is good, rather simple, sour tart fruit, mostly cherry. Maybe a little spoiled with the sours lately but felt like I wanted more out if this. Still nice and simple and refreshing though. Good beer.

3.99/5  rDev 0%

You know that funny feeling you get when you know you’re about to crack open a world class beer and the hairs on the back of your neck stand up? I’m getting that feeling with this Rodenbach Classic Flanders Red Ale, and it could be because their Grand Cru was a spectacular introduction to the style... or it could be that beer is like crack cocaine for me and I have a really, really bad addiction problem... I’m going with the former [yes indeed, good choice me] thanks me [you’re welcome me] you’re welcome yourself me... aaand so forth.

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a Duvel tulip - here’s a top tip: if you’re ever in doubt as to which glass to use with any given beer go with a Duvel tulip.

A: Cloudy red-tinged brown body with a tan head that soon reduces to a thin lace ring. Looks borderline Flanders Oud Bruin, but we’ll forgive it this one appearance transgression, not the poor head though; at 5.2% ABV there should be a head. 6/10.

S: Quite forward with a tart cherry/grape aroma. There are hints of wood from the oak and a light caramel malt base with some bread yeast, but overall the pervading sense is one of dry astringent tartness [I’m puckering my face in anticipation]. 8/10.

T: Once again Rodenbach did well to keep the tartness in check with this brew taking on more of a vinegary slant than the Grand Cru (which was more grape-aid). Notes of burnt caramel, wood and cherry are hinted to in the background... actually the burnt caramel is a bit more noticeable than the other background notes, you get the idea. Finishes quite dry and moreish like the Grand Cru, hmmm. 8/10.

M: Almost identical to the Grand Cru: mid to light body, hmm, slightly watery, with a nicely dense carbonation. 7/10.

D: Well there isn’t a great deal of separation between the Grand Cru and Classic bar that the Grand Cru is much more interesting and flavoursome. Don’t get me wrong [get me right!] Rodenbach Classic is a tasty Flanders Red, however one will instinctively draw comparison between Classic and Grand Cru and the latter nails it whilst the former is decent enough but not nearly as great. I will say one thing: Rodenbach Classic goes down very easy, but with the slightest challenge from the astringent aspects that you feel like you’ve glimpsed into the eyes of greatness, found a tart granny smith apple in a golden chalice, with some angels standing around it, and licked the juices dripping forth from the sacred receptacle... or something quasi-mystical along those lines. 9/10.

Food match: A selection of cheeses arranged on a platter would suffice.

4.25/5  rDev +6.5%

It was new for me!Ruby color with medium white head. Aroma of winey fruit. Taste is balanced tart , winey, sweet an sour. Pleasant acidic finish

This was my first experience with a sour ale, so I wasn't sure how I would like it..

Cloudy, reddish brown color with a small head and minimal lacing served in a tulip glass.

Aromas of tart cherries, vinegar, pickles. Not overly strong and intriguing aromas.

This beer was more tart than sour tasting, similar to tart pie cherries. It was a little strange at first, but as I got accustomed to it, the flavor really grew on me. I shared the 750ml bottle with a friend, and he really liked the flavor, as did I.

(Edit: In pondering the flavor of this beer, I now know what the flavor reminded me of. It was similar to eating a piece of rhubarb pie, both tart and fruity at once.)

Clean crisp mouthfeel. Much lighter than expected. Not overly carbonated.

Easy to drink, but the flavor did take a bit of getting used to. I'd drink this again.

3.33/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Murky, like black cherry juice.

S: Sour cherry, tart, and a lot of malt.

T: Heavy malt, sour cherry, molasses, and a bit of vinegar in the aftertaste.

M: Viscous, slow to move across the palate

D: To enjoyed in small amounts, potent, would have guessed the ABV to be more than 5%.

I think this beer would nicely cut through a fruit laden cheesecake or any high fat dessert that also has fruit. I've never had anything like this beer before.

3.89/5  rDev -2.5%

A-Pours a clear, dark, crimson hue. Head is a thin, unfinished, off white clump of froth. Not much lacing but it almost seems to leave legs along the glass.

S-Tart cherry with an underlying fruity sweetness. Oaky as well. Some caramel sweetness, too. Some vinegar. A bit of apple juice.

T-Flavor starts off with a moderately intense tartness that fades into a sweeter cherry flavor. Oak comes in after the tartness, too. Some brown sugar and a mushy, overripe fruit medley.

M-Medium bodied. Finishes surprisingly a bit dry. Fairly refreshing. Moderate carbonation.

O-I found this to be pretty tasty. Nice balance of sweet and sour. Nothing too overwhelming, which makes his beer a good go-to when your having a sour craving.

3.25/5  rDev -18.5%

03/05/2015
Best Before 03/17/2017
Rodenbach Ale
5.2% ABV
11.2 oz (330ml) brown beer bottle $2.99 at Provisions Northampton MA

Appearance: Dark rootbeer brown, small tan head dissipates quickly to lacy ring

Smell: grainy and tart fruity

Flavor: full body, mildly tart, zero hoppy bitterness, very clean

Overall: 3.5/5 I love the price, the lack of IBUs, the tart full body and the no aftertasteness.
I will buy more of these - they are right up my alley. I'd love to have some roasty maltiness though...with that it would
have been a 4/5.

3.87/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I am not sure how this is supposed to taste. I have had others of this style and I've had others that had similar characteristics.

As soon as I opened it I knew I had something interesting. The wild yeasty sour taste was in the air. As you start to drink it that sour subsides quickly. Too quickly - it made me long for a good Flemish sour. This is kind of like that only milder.

Based on the way this is made (25% 2 years matured and 75% young) I think it is ready to drink immediately. This is a good example of beer/food as culture.

3.3/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into pint glass from 750

A: hazy chestnut brown color with minimal light tan head.

S: mild sour aroma, some funk, farmhouse.

T: nutty malt with hints of tartness. Some cherry and currants, but really not much doin.

M: light-medium body, high carb. Very drinkable.

O: very muted and dark compared to grand cru. Not that impressed.

3.8/5  rDev -4.8%

From 12/05/11 notes. Had this on tap at St. Arnolds on Jefferson Place in Washington, DC last night. Poured into a Rodenbach tulip.

a - Pours a reddish brown color with one to two inches of ruby reddish white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of sour fruits, cherries, balsamic vinegar, and bready malts. Not insanely sour but it's there, and pretty nice.

t - Tastes a bit tannic, of bready malts, light sour cherries, vanilla, toasted malts. Not as sour as the nose as all (which wasn't overly sour to begin with), and not a fruity. A bit of a step down for me.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. Easy to drink but a little more carbonation would have been nice.

o - Overall a pretty good, readily available flanders. Not too sour so could be good for someone looking to just get into sours. Would have it again.

3.68/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.16/5  rDev +4.3%

1.98/5  rDev -50.4%

I should have read the label more carefully. This is a Flemish SOUR ale. I like to try new things and I never drank sour ale before but I did not anticipate how sour, sour could be. To me it tasted like vinegar. I spent half an hour trying to drink the blasted stuff hoping that I would "develope a taste" for it. But that never happened.It tasted like vineagar from the first sip to the last. The bottle cost me $7 (750ml) and I consider it money well spent since I now know that sour ale is NOT for me. There are many good reveiws of this ale, apparently there are those who like sour tasting beer, but it is not for everybody. When I drink Belgian, I will stick to the classic Belgium Stong Ales frm now on.

4.44/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a tulip glass.

A - Deep, clear, reddish copper. A head tries to form upon pouring but leaves only a thin collar with a hint of lacing.

S - A piquant cabernet comes to mind immediately. The vinous, slightly sour and mineral-like aroma make this smell nothing like a beer. An interesting sweet smell pulls through as well.

T - There's a lot going on here, mostly because I'm very unfamiliar with these tastes. Big lemony sourness is most prevalent. Like the nose, this brew tastes like a sharp red wine. A caramel-like sweetness tries to break through and helps balance the sourness, until the finish where an intense but brief burst of sourness shines through along with an earthy bitterness. There is an interesting undertone of phenols as well. At times this beer almost tasted like a Merlot with a healthy dose of lemon juice.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Would be interested to taste this with a lower level of carbonation as to allow more of the fruity aspects to pull through.

D - For such a "different" taste and noticable sourness, its still quite drinkable. Low ABV and crispness make for an easy drinking beer.

This is my first Flanders Sour, and it's quite good. Very different, but not unapproachable. Would love to find more of this stuff.

3.67/5  rDev -8%

330 mL bottle at 42* into a Boon Kriek glass. Best before: 10/06/2010. Uh oh.

A: This pours an opaque dark-red color with a thin, off-white head.

S: It is almost completely composed of sweet and sour cherries.

T: It opens with a sweet cherry juice flavor and finishes with notes of cherry peel and pit.

M: It has a medium body with a refreshingly crisp finish.

D: This is okay but I don't quite understand the obsession with the style. It is not a very complex brew.

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

Rodenbach Classic (Red) from Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.
Beer rating: 3.99 out of 5 with 1,858 ratings