Rodenbach Classic (Red) | Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.

Rodenbach Classic (Red)Rodenbach Classic (Red)

Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.
rodenbach.be

Style: Flanders Red Ale

ABV varies 5.0-5.2% ABV

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-04-2002

Ratings: 1,800 |  Reviews: 679

4.97/5  rDev +23.9%

Appearence: Pours a wonderful, clear red with a thin head that stays for a bit.

Smell: The smell is a wonderful mix of sourness, cherries, fruits, and bread. Well balanced and supremely complex.

Taste and Mouthfeel: The taste is unreal. It's enough to bring me to my knees. Perfect balance, high complexity. The sourness hits your tongue first, followed shortly by and incredibly wonderful fruit flavor. It finishes smoothly, and about 10 seconds after swallowing an amazing bread flavor hits your mouth and lingers until the next sip. The mouthfeel is smooth and slick.

Drinkability and Overall: This beer is devilishly smooth, delicious, and drinkable. This is one I wish I had available to me all the time. My choice for a session beer. Thank you D's for bringing in this marvelous creation.

4.97/5  rDev +23.9%

When Tommy @ Andy's Corner in Bogota sent out the e-mail with one day's notice that this would be on tap, there was no mistaking my showing up for a taste. What follows are the results of this extraordinary experience, one that my taste buds shall remember 'til the end of days.

Served in a Libbey's tulip glass (model #3715 for anyone who cares) nice and cold fresh from the keg.

Appearance- A reddish-brown mostly clear color with a tight, foamy head. Large bubbles popped and hissed amongst the soapy remains of the initial pour. Retention was nice for a Flanders Red.

Smell- Clean, fresh, pungent sour cherries with a full, deep follow-through. This was one of those "I can't stop smelling this beer" events, because it is not often that we get to experience this style so fresh. Sour turns to sweet as the beer slowly approaches cellar temperature. Outstanding.

Taste- Total refreshment. Totally thirst-quenching. This is the ideal summertime answer to that special brew that wakes up your taste buds... not like an IPA or kicked-up pilsner... but it satisfies your complete tongue and begs you to drink more. Sour cherries dominate, and they fade to a background of granny smith apples.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Perfect in every regard... slick and moderate, smooth and inviting. Everything about this makes me want to try one more sip, one more glass. Totally thirst-quenching and a feast for the senses, I am so happy to have sampled what might be perfection for this style. At $7 a glass, I didn't care... four went down the gullet inside of 3 hours, and when I tell you that I enjoyed and savored each taste, I mean it.

4.97/5  rDev +23.9%

Finding Flanders Reds to be one of my favorite styles, if not THE favorite style of beer, I might be a little biased towards this offering. That being said, this one is the best of the bunch for me. In fact I'm requesting my casket to be a replica of one of Rodenbach's giant oak aging barrels. No rush though...

When I poured this into a medium sized tulip glass, it gave the appearance of an Amontillado sherry, with a wonderful auburn tint. The nose was of fresh cut, slightly un ripened green apple, and hints of oak. When I put this Flanders offering into a large snifter, I got much stronger woody tones from the nose, including traces of vanilla.

The taste emulated the nose, with tart green apple showing itself right away. The hop presence, as is traditional with this style, is obsolete, yet the beer maintains a remarkable balance with its subtle malty background. Trailing off with faint oaky echoes, this beer has a quick, yet complex finish.

The mouth feel of this beer is lighter bodied, but you don't feel like you are getting cheated out of substance. Fairly decent carbonation rounded out the experience. This beer has incredible drinkability. It is unbelievably refreshing, and a 750 of this could go alarmingly quick.

Truly an outstanding Belgian treat, this beer could be just as much "session" worthy as it is gourmet. If you pair a Rodenbach Classic with some Alaskan king crab, clarified butter, and a loaf of fresh bread, Bill Gates would not be able to top that (yes of course he probably could, but surely by now you get the point). I love everything about this beer. Enjoy

4.95/5  rDev +23.4%

This is a great beer which is truly a great example of a regional Belgian style. If you want to really branch out, and try something very different, than this is a great beer to reach out, and try. Great maroon color, with a nice white head lacing. Smells of nice cherries, grapes, and (I hate to say it) sourpatch kids. The first sip gives a nice tart cherries, with some real nice sour "funk". This is a great beer! Very drinkable, and is one that I feel is a must try for everyone, and is definitely one I will go back to when I am in the modd for something sour, but which is still very drinkable.

4.95/5  rDev +23.4%

I've been wanting to try the Rodenbach beer's for quite awhile now but been unable to find em. Yesterday I was in Eugene, OR at the Bier Stein and ran across some much to my delight. 275 ml bottle poured into my New Belgium Globe glass a dark amber color with a small head that laced up fairly quick. Looks great. Smell is of tart cherries, oak, and just hint of vinegar sour twang. Smells awesome. Taste was not a let down, cherries, oak, rich malts, hint of wheat towards the end with a pleasently refreshing sour finish. Mouthfeel was smooth, a bit sticky, and tart. Really pleasent. Man if I could get this stuff in town I would drink it all the time. I absolutely love it. This is a brew that can be enjoyed on a hot afternoon to refresh you, or as a dessert for after dinner.

Rodenbach Classic (Red) from Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.