Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Rodenbach Classic (Red) | Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.

Rodenbach Classic (Red)Rodenbach Classic (Red)
4/5
Exceptional
Rodenbach Classic (Red)Rodenbach Classic (Red)

Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.
rodenbach.be

Style: Flanders Red Ale

ABV varies 5.0-5.2% ABV

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-04-2002

Ratings: 1,834 |  Reviews: 688

1.5/5  rDev -62.5%

1.56/5  rDev -61%

I'm transferring in my review which had accidentally been done on the unfortunately now-retired Alexander Rodenbach, which apparently was a far better beer than this mass-produced Classic Red version.

5Jan2006 Leuven Belgium, on-tap (and regretting it since!)

I had this in a bar in Leuven Belgium, on-tap. The bartendress warned me that "you either love it or you hate it."

I noted that the head dissipated quickly and disappointingly as she drafted it, and was nearly gone after she sat it in front of me.

Appearance-- like lemon juice.

Nose-- phew-- like apple-cider vinegar.

First taste-- like slightly fermented apple-cider vinegar.

Next taste was a good-sized healthy gulp. My guts instantly warned me. I continued through the mug, laughing that I was drinking cold slightly-carbonated not overly pleasant lemon-apple-vinegar.

My opinion never changed. Well, actually after about 10 minutes when I became severely nauseated and spent half an hour throwing up (which I hadn't done in 10 years), then watching the ceiling spin for another 6 hours, my opinion was modestly worsened, regarding this concoction.

Note that their advertising slogan states (as did the bartendress), "You either love it or you hate it."

I would also note, the barmistress stated firmly that the alcohol content was 4.8 percent, and not 5.0 percent as advertised. She knew her stuff.

1.96/5  rDev -51%

1.98/5  rDev -50.5%

I should have read the label more carefully. This is a Flemish SOUR ale. I like to try new things and I never drank sour ale before but I did not anticipate how sour, sour could be. To me it tasted like vinegar. I spent half an hour trying to drink the blasted stuff hoping that I would "develope a taste" for it. But that never happened.It tasted like vineagar from the first sip to the last. The bottle cost me $7 (750ml) and I consider it money well spent since I now know that sour ale is NOT for me. There are many good reveiws of this ale, apparently there are those who like sour tasting beer, but it is not for everybody. When I drink Belgian, I will stick to the classic Belgium Stong Ales frm now on.

2.13/5  rDev -46.8%

Sorry guys but I'm not able to offer a positive review for this beer. I know I'm in the minority but this beer was a challenge for me to drink. Loads of tart cherry in smell and taste. But way too much cider vinegar!! Guess I'm not a sour fan after all. If you like sours, try. If you don't, stay clear.

2.22/5  rDev -44.5%

Please note my review is based on a bottle that I just purchased that unfortunately was "sell by" 6 months ago. Smelled and tasted pretty much like viniger. Don't age this beer. Drink fresh.

2.25/5  rDev -43.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.45/5  rDev -38.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.48/5  rDev -38%

2.5/5  rDev -37.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.5/5  rDev -37.5%

Rodenbach Classic (Red) from Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.
Beer rating: 4 out of 5 with 1,834 ratings