Rodenbach Classic (Red) | Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.

Rodenbach Classic (Red)Rodenbach Classic (Red)

Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.
rodenbach.be

Style: Flanders Red Ale

ABV varies 5.0-5.2% ABV

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-04-2002

Ratings: 1,818 |  Reviews: 686
2.13/5  rDev -46.9%

Sorry guys but I'm not able to offer a positive review for this beer. I know I'm in the minority but this beer was a challenge for me to drink. Loads of tart cherry in smell and taste. But way too much cider vinegar!! Guess I'm not a sour fan after all. If you like sours, try. If you don't, stay clear.

2.22/5  rDev -44.6%

Please note my review is based on a bottle that I just purchased that unfortunately was "sell by" 6 months ago. Smelled and tasted pretty much like viniger. Don't age this beer. Drink fresh.

2.25/5  rDev -43.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.45/5  rDev -38.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.48/5  rDev -38.2%

2.5/5  rDev -37.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.6/5  rDev -35.2%

A muddy, brown beer with almost no head.

Smell of lactic acid, some mild dark malts and a woody undertone.

Taste is tart, very tart. Wow, this is hard. A woody taste under the tartness with a fake sweet sauce covering this all. A hard to drink beer with an artificial sweetness and a agrresive sour.

2.68/5  rDev -33.2%

My first dive into "sour" ales. Poured a dark reddish-brown with a tan head that left some lacing behind. The smell is unlike any other beer I have had. Sour vinegar with some dark fruits and a sweeter bubble gum like scent. The taste is ... wow ... sour! I know I should have expected it but it hit me hard. It's like someone stuffed some cherries into a bottle of apple cider vinegar. This may be true to style but it's not for me. I gave it a 3 because I am assuming that is how it should taste. Well...it was an interesting experience for sure, but I had to feed this one to the sink.

2.68/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.7/5  rDev -32.7%

I found this to be a really disappointing beer. Aroma wasn't bad, but the overwhelming sourness once I tasted it turned me right off. Reminded me of drinking apple cider and had apple cider vinegar overtones. It was a chore to drink a 10.5 oz glass of this.

2.74/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

ok, before i get panned for the low scores, let me just say that either the rest of you are lemmings scoring it high because you think you should, or you just enjoy this really unique, challenging style of beer. i wanted to like this beer. i tried to like this beer. i didn't like this beer. it poured beautifully: on-tap at 3F's pub, a deep reddish amber, mostly clear, with a super-thick, rocky, creamy, big-ass lasting pinkish head and lacing. nose was of cherries/berries and acetic sourness along with some musty barnyardy aromas. taste was sweet upfront dominated by sourness. kinda like drinking turned/old juice. light bodied, spritzy, with a drying, sour finish. tastes more like a sparkling rose wine that beer. no hop presence per the style. this might go well with a cherry pie.

2.75/5  rDev -31.4%

If you are a lambic lover, you might like this.
Remind me Cantallion. This beer was very sour and bitter. Good thing I was given a small sample of this from the tap. Dark reddish color, no head on this one, had about 5 sips of it, and that was the end of this.
If you are big on wine, and sour patch kids, then you are going to like this. Looking at the review, people do like it. Hats off to you.

2.75/5  rDev -31.4%

Rodenbach Classic (Red) from Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.