Rodenbach Classic (Red) | Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.

Rodenbach Classic (Red)Rodenbach Classic (Red)
Liked This Beer
4 w/ 1,822 ratings
Rodenbach Classic (Red)Rodenbach Classic (Red)

Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

3.29/5  rDev -17.8%

Server in a pint glass.

Appearance: ridiculously dark amber, very light bubbles on the body. Off white head maybe 1/10", I'm not crazy over the way it looks but it's still attractive.

Smell: strong woody taste, you can inhale the malts and cellaring.

Taste: This taste is not for everybody, strong sourness to it that makes the rest of the beer very hard to enjoy. Wood, almost cedar like...but a notch sweet. I don't hate it but keep my words in mind before sipping and judging.

Mouth: an easy medium to full, strong after taste of rye sticks to you like black to the night.

Overall: good beer but the hype it definitely does not live up to. Honestly this is probably my first flander's red ale, and I want to try more before I put them on the "beware" list. Salud!

3.89/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to Sal for this donation!

First time trying a Flanders Red Ale.

Pour a deep , clear red and has an off white head that dropped quickly leaving a ring and partial cover. Lace is abundant but also recedes after each sip.

Smells a lot like wine..cherries without the awful sulfer stink that most wine has.

Taste is of tart cherries. thin mouthfeel and mild yet biting carbonation. Dry finish.

Interesting style..I may have to hunt down a few other examples of this.

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

4.75/5  rDev +18.8%

3.25/5  rDev -18.8%

4.05/5  rDev +1.3%

12 oz bottle poured into crooked stave tulip. Best before 7/25/14.
Pour is much darker than anticipated. ..deep ruby brown with slight white lacing. Smell is so complex. Lots of sweet toffee english malts and oak but a huge cherry tartness is dominant. Taste is nicely tart cherry but so balanced with the sweet toffee malt and oak. Its super dry as expected and easy to drink. Its a great is example of the style.

4.02/5  rDev +0.5%

I picked up a bottle of Rodenbach's Rodenbach Classic last month for $2.69 at The Lager Mill. Flanders Red Ale is one style I have never had before, I've been making an effort to check out some new styles of this beer, so I decided to take a chance on this one, so let see how it goes. Best before 3-20-2014. Poured from a brown 330ml bottle into a tulip.

A- The label is ok, it's pretty simple but it had a clean look to it. It poured a nice brown/dark red color that took on a nice and dark ruby color when held to the light with a fingers worth of light tan head that died down to a thin ring that eventually disappeared and left hardly any lacing behind. This was an ok looking beer, the color was pretty nice but the head and lacing were lacking a little.

S- The aroma starts off with loads of tart and sour smelling fruit, there's some cherry's, plums, and some raspberry's along with a higher amount of sweetness. Next comes a little bit of oak and a slight funky aroma. This beer had a good aroma is was very fruity with some nice sour and funky notes to it, I like it.

T- The taste doesn't seem to be too similar to the aroma, it starts off with some malts and a light amount of medium tartness followed by some of the fruits that I got in the aroma, they aren't nearly as intense as they were in the aroma and the cherry's seem to stick out the most. On the finish i get a slight bit of Belgian yeast followed by a slight oak flavor and hardly any bitterness just some lingering tartness that is slightly sour. There's also a high amount of sweetness with a sweet, cherry, and tart aftertaste. This was a good tasting beer, I wish the fruits showed up a little more but other than that it was pretty enjoyable.

M- Pretty smooth, crisp, slightly puckering, medium bodied, with a nice amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was good and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and from what I can tell it's a good example of the style, but this is my first of the style, so I don't have much experience with this style at all but it seems to be close to the description BA provides for the style. This beer had decent drinkability, it was smooth, and the flavors kept me interested, but the high amount of sweetness would prevent from having another, one of these small bottles is the perfect amount. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma it was pretty nice with lots of tart fruit aromas. What I liked the least about this beer was the appearance, a little more head and lacing would make this beer look pretty good. I would buy this again when in the mood for a nice and tart beer, it's not too expensive, especially for a beer from Belgium, I recommend this to anyone who want something with a little bit of tartness to it. All in all I was pretty happy with this beer, it had just the right amount of tartness to it, and the cherry aspect was pretty nice. This beer made for a good first impression for this brewery and it has made me want to try more of the style, good job guys, this is a pretty tasty and unique brew.

Rodenbach Classic (Red) from Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.
Beer rating: 82.1% out of 100 with 1,822 ratings