Rodenbach Grand Cru | Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.

Rodenbach Grand CruRodenbach Grand Cru

Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.
Belgium | website

Style: Flanders Red Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000

Reviews: 1,120 | Ratings: 3,904
2.95/5  rDev -30.8%

this grand cru pours a very deep copper, with some reddish hues, the head is very thin and beige.
the aroma is a mix of carmelized malt, some unidentified spice, some mangos, and some thing acidic.
the flavor is malty, fruity, acidic, light.
i guess i'm not much of a fan of this beer, i dont like the acid zing, and the body is a little to light for the aroma.

2.95/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Pours like coca cola from a 12 oz. bottle with a quickly dissipating beige head with lively bubbles. A light sourness followed by a huge vinegar kick dominates the aroma and flavor, and to me, nothing could overcome that vinegar phenomena. Kind of tough to get through the whole bottle, to be honest. Not great at all; no cherry, oak, or other expression making it complex or noteworthy beyond the slightly unpleasant vinegar character. I've had good beers of this style and though according to many it's a benchmark, it's not enjoyable to me in the least.

2.95/5  rDev -30.8%

Nice tan head with lots of lace atop a dark brown-garnet beer.
Strong aroma of sour cherries plus earthy-dank notes.

Overpowering sourness with sour cherries, buttery-acetyl and alcohol bite. Very much of an acquired taste.

Decent mouthfeel for a strong flavored beer.

Not very drinkable to me. This beer might be right for someone really into lambics or lactobacillus flavors but it's not for me.

2.99/5  rDev -29.8%

750 ml bottle hanging out with a friend.

I'll be honest... I took one sip and I was immediately offput by the awkward tartness of this beer and the septic carbonation. There is a vinegar-like flux to it that really pulled my focus on the flavors away from the complexity of the beer. I had tried the Portsmouth Flanders and liked it, but there was a different approach to this one.

The color is incredible. Has a reddish tint when held up to the light, but the brown color is soft and full. The consistency is muddled in the smell, but the smell is quite round, rolling into the taste. The flavors and alcohol are overpowered by the tartness and, while smoky and oaky and slightly spicy, are dominated by the plum, apricot, and framboise flavors. Tartness also dominates the mouthfeel, but dissipates quickly with the awkward and rather late-blooming carbonation. But it drinks like a Belgian brown, with its complexity and fervent porousness. Excellent finish.

3.01/5  rDev -29.3%

Scorched earth in my mouth. Acidity to clean the enamel right off my teeth. My lady enjoyed it a great deal, I truly hope to re-review this sometime down the line with much more positive things to say! I want to enjoy it as much as you guys do :(

3.01/5  rDev -29.3%

Appearance - wow, the first ounce or two gets completely converted to about four fingers of foam. Getting a mug full of this beer will take some patience. Ends up a nice caramel amber capped with a solid film of multi-colored foam ranging from light mocha to cocoa brown.

Aroma - yeasty, mild funk mixed with some sour lemon. Hmm, I'm undecided.

Taste - sour lemon, sweet, musty. A mix of flavors, some I like more than others. The finish is dry, tart, and sour. Still not my favorite style.

Mouthfeel - lively carbonation with medium body, this beer has panache, that's for sure.

Drinkability - I liked it less at first and more as I progressed. Generally, this isn't a beer I'd revisit, but it's not bad, just not for me.

3.03/5  rDev -28.9%

I bought this at Brussel Sprouts together with my long awaited Abbaye Des Rocs Brune beer. I
was pretty skeptical about this beer due to reviews saying that it is sour. I am just not into
sour beers and that's the reason why I close myself to Lambics. The Rodenbach is a Flanders Red
Ale style of brewing and is generally sour and fruity (in a sense analagous Lambics though not
quite) This Flanders Red Ale pours out slightly dark ruby red with minimal head which quickly
becomes a fair lacing. It smells intensely sour with notes of grape. The sour taste was further
pronounced in the taste and it was kind of too overwhelming for me; it was very much like someone
spilled vinegar into a beer that tastes like a light wine. I could develop an appreciation for
this beer by sipping it and the entry taste was actually fruity and yeasty which was quite
pleasant. But once the pellates are filled and the after taste starts to kick in the vinegar
like sourness is domainating and even in the nose. All in all way to sour for me; after I got
used to it; the sourness was mainly overwheming in the after taste and on the nose. The after
taste also has grapes in it; somewhat like red wine but the sourness kills it all. This ale was
medium body and with an overly high level of carbonation. Drinkability is low and this one's
definitely a sipper unless you want to sour up your evening. Not really my type but I still
can slightly appreciate the grape and winey side of it.

3.03/5  rDev -28.9%

Dark red, wannabe brown. Spotty Lacing. Pretty color.

Band aid, dark fruit, cherry, cherry and more cherry. Cough syrup cherry. Very dense and sweet. Bits of raisin and raspberry.

Very yeasty/sedimenty/grainy - which I dislike in sours. Lots of cherry, vanilla undertones.

Aforementioned grainy mouthfeel, cloyingly sweet. So much fruit in this.

I have come to the realization that there is a particular brand of sours that I don't care for. It is these dense, super fruity, acidic and sediment ridden ones. I'll keep revisiting the style though as I know Rodenbach is a staple.

3.04/5  rDev -28.6%

Rusty bike chain, leaky D batteries, fermented cider, and deep inside, a robust Belgian beer. I shall drink it 'til I get it right! It is part of a bounty I captured at my new favorite place on earth. It is the 7th Belgian I've tried and is very distinct in character. At first taste I believed it to be bad. I quickly inspected the bottle cap looking for signs of rust. There were none. I proceeded to google. To my fiscal satisfaction, it's supposed to taste that way. I will inspect every drop.

3.11/5  rDev -27%

Burnished cherry color, fairly translucent, with a good 2 cm of vanilla colored head resting atop.
The smell is tart, with red fruit, merteuille (I forget the english name of this red berry) and dark vanilla extract.
It rolls into your mouth with a sweet, full-bodied taste. There is a very distinct taste in the back of the palate – like a pleasant vomit. It's very acidic, dark and fruity (like black cherries).
An interesting taste, but it's just too damn sweet. It's dark, syrupy, acidic and very sweet. Too heavy to be really drinkable, and a flat, or possibly 2-diamensional taste.

3.13/5  rDev -26.5%

Serving type: on tap at Monk's Cafe, Philadelphia, PA.

Pours a very dark amber color with a foamy off-white head. Very sour fruity aroma with hints of oak and vanilla. Intensely tart and acidic with a nice amount of sour cherry as well as oak and vanilla. Very sour with a puckering dry finish.

3.14/5  rDev -26.3%

Pours a cool dark red color with a small tannish white head. Smell was extremely sour, very jolly rancherish. Also some cherries and a noticeable vinnegar smell towards the back. Taste was a bit better, with the sour flavors and fruit melding together. Mouthfeel was light to medium bodied. This beer was simply too sour for me, and way too acidic for me to handle. Maybe it is just the style. Im not sure...this was my first example of the style. cheers

3.18/5  rDev -25.4%

Very pretty scarlet red, absolutely clear, with an off white head. Smell was both sweet and sour- vinegar and soy sauce, mostly. Sour fruits, perhaps. Taste left me conflicted, I'm still not sure if I liked it or not. Balsamic and regular vinegar with some berries added. Salad dressing came to mind. After much thought, I think this reminds me of a vinegary arbor mist. I'm still unsure if that's good or bad though. Mouthfeel was fizzy, like a champagne, perhaps. Weird beer, probably spot on for the style, but I don't know, I'm not sold on it.

3.22/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Pours a deep and desk red/brown... Similar to a red-over malted IPA.
Nose rotten plums/cherries
Tastes like tart cherries, quite pleasant actually, deep flavors
Mouthfeel is full bodied, a complete brew for sure.
Overall I can really appreciate this beer even though it's outside realm

3.23/5  rDev -24.2%

750ml tasted side by side with the classic red
08 Vintage

Appearance: Dark mahogany color with a tan bubbly head that dissipates quickly.

Smell: Sweet cherry, touch of vanilla and vinegar.

Taste: Like a cherry sweet tart. Was expecting more sour. This tastes like a sugary tart candy.

Mouthfeel: The tartness kinda just hits you up front then goes away. Medium bodied.

Drinkability: Right now, Im not a fan of this beer. It is reminiscent of the 07 Panil Barrique, which I did not enjoy, but LOVED the 05. Hopefully I can get my hands on a few of these to age and maybe I'll think differently about it.

3.24/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

330 ml bottle served in a St. Bernardus snifter. BB date of 28 Jan. 2017.

Hazy mahogany body with a thin, weak head. Patches of lacing left on the glass nonetheless.

Aroma: Some barnyard and wet leather aromas mixed with vinegar and dark, over-ripe fruits.

Flavor: moderately tart with a light sweetness. Less funky and more, appealing dark dried fruit and cherries than the aroma suggests. The finish is the best aspect.

Overall: not my favorite Rodenbach.

3.24/5  rDev -23.9%

Poured from 24oz growler into snifter

Appearance-Pours a deep brown/ruby red, some small head rose up from the growler pour but didn't retain into the snifty upon pouring.

Smell-Tart, sour fruit aromas assail the sesnes, I can make out what smells to me like sour cherries, grapes and a whisp of what smells to me like a mix between a lemon and a pear.

Mouthfeel-Soft and plushy, but rather surprisingly full.

Taste-A sour and refreshing tartness washes over with an immediate intensity followed shortly by fruity notes which taste reminiscent of the aroma; sour cherries, grapes and a third distinct flavor which I cannot put my finger on that is like a lemon/pear mix. Some very slight malty characters come through on the finish that sort of graze the back of the tongue with an instant of semi-sweetness.

Drinkability-Although it's refreshing, the overpowering sourness makes it so that I wouldn't want more than a single glass.

Notes-The Flanders Red is a unique style that everyone should try at least once, I did with this beer and I can say I'm glad I did. Now I can't say I liked it so much I'd go out and seek it again, but the experience of trying it at least once was worth the price.

3.27/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A: [3.25] Pours out a dark brown leather color. It looks like brown and dark red mixed and is pretty inviting. The beer has very minimal to no head. The bottle has the ABV (6.0%) but no date info at all. I find the no date info ironic since the bottle says "Character Ripens with Age" (Well great, except I have no idea how old it is...)

S: [3.00] Red wine, brown sugar,brown bread.

T: [3.50] Sparkling apple juice, lemon, tangy citrus, a hint of Belgian yeast on the finish.

M: [3.00] This has the feel of Sprite, very tingly and carbonated. Sparkling water in feel. Finish is sort of bitter, but not hop bitter, citrus bitter.

O: [3.25] I have read that this beer has been a gateway, to this style, for many beer drinkers. I think it is just not a style that I like. I can appreciate what the brewer has crafted - it is just not for me. The taste, to me, is like Zima (there I said it). I'd much rather have many other styles.

3.27/5  rDev -23.2%

A= Pours a deep brown almost black color more of a deep brown than a black color. The head is an impressive one finger head that falls to a thin skin on top and sits there bubbling like a fermenting wort. Nice lacing on the side of the glass.

S= Super sour pushing vinegar in the smell. It has an odd medicinal smell to it. A little lemon in it as well. I feel like I'm getting a headache from smelling it. I almost get a feeling in my nose like I'm smelling paint thinner. Quite powerful and sour smelling.

T= Not nearly as bad as the smell. A nice sour cherry tartness. Not nearly as sour as the smell led it on to be either. It is sour but it's a nice mix of sweet and sour. Sweet cherries and sour lemons. There is still a small medicinal taste to it but not much. There is a nice wooden funky taste to it as well.

M= Dry with some tannins detectable. Interesting mouthfeel but not bad.

D= Pretty good. The smell was a bid turn off at first but the taste mad it better. Nice beer but I dunno if I'm gonna get it again.

3.3/5  rDev -22.5%

Appearance: Reddish brown with a small head.

Smell: This smells like candy and good scotch. Very peaty.

Taste: Very sour. A little too much so for my liking. Not like a lambic, but still quite sour. Like Sour Chews candy with a hint of blackberry.

Mouth: A bit thin.

Overall, it's OK. I guess. Fans of lambics might like it, but I won't be rushing out to get more.

3.34/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Rocks the ruddy brown and dark red color scheme, poured wicked but not enough going on to make much of a head. Disappointing. Doesn't look world class. Aroma was heavy on the acetic vinegar like acid. That really is a make or break aspect of this brewery, you gotta be down with that old style sour vibe here.

This one is maltier than the regular flanders they make. Smoother. Hides the alcohol decently. I got one or two of these aging at the 5+ year mark, I'll revisit as I get the chance, but again, the traditional flanders brown malt and vinegar sour thing is well represented here.

3.34/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Taste: semi sweet, cherry, spicy, sour notes. Sour fruit and alcohol nose.
Deep red copper color, mostly clear with a delicate head. Medium body. It had a kick to the finish.

3.35/5  rDev -21.4%

I was looking forward to tasting this beer so when my friend got a hold of a bottle I was quite excited. The beer poured a cloudy brown with light read hues and no head on it. The aroma had a dry grape smell along with some sweetness. The flavor was just sour, sour, sour like a mean old woman. Also some flavors of cherry (kriek) and a bit of a yeasty flavor. But the cherry and the yeast flavors were getting the shit beaten out of them by the sourness, just like my palate. The beer was puckering in the mouth with a bit of a ferric character to it. Overall I was very disappointed in this beer. I had such high hopes but htey were dashed in a blaze of sourness. This beer was just too sour for my tastes. Thanks, but no thanks. Not my style.

3.35/5  rDev -21.4%

Appearance - ruddy dark brown with red hues throughout. Murky like old pond water with two fingers of beige head.

Smell - Incredibly funky. Like oxidized red wine that has been left opened on a kitchen counter for a week. Red wine vinegar, cinnamon or cloves, and old oak. Not much malt presence and no hops to speak of.

Taste - super super funky. We're talking red wine vinegar, blue cheese with some fruit (over ripe grapes, raspberries, cherries, green apple, and cranberry) Both sweet and sour at the same time with the sweetness coming at the beginning and lingering into the middle and then being replaced by a dry tart sourness which lingers on your palette. It is a very complex beer and everything it says it is on the bottle but I'm sorry I just can't handle the off, burn wine flavor.

Mouthfeel - the feel is actually very nice rather soft like a cream soda. The beer itself is medium bodied.

Overall - This is a robust, complex and authentic Flemish sour. I can appreciate that it is true too the style and beloved by many. I have tried to keep an open mind when reviewing this beer but have come to the conclusion as some others have said that this is just one you either love or hate. MY GOD IS THIS A FUNKY BEER!!!

3.37/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

350mL version bought in Belgium supermarket

L: opaque, dark brown, with a thin foam
S: balsamic vinegar,
T: weak balsamic vinegar, some sour notes that reminds me of lemon and some fruity sweetness. They are all in a great balance, nothing out spoken over each another.
F: dryish finish on the tongue. residual sweetness seem to linger a bit on palate
O: a great beer with a great balance.

Rodenbach Grand Cru from Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.