Rodenbach Grand Cru | Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.

Rodenbach Grand CruRodenbach Grand Cru

Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.
rodenbach.be

Style: Flanders Red Ale

Flanders Red Ale- a blend of 1/3 young beer and 2/3 aged beer matured for 2 years in oak casts.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000

Ratings: 4,033 |  Reviews: 1,147

1.02/5  rDev -76.1%

1.18/5  rDev -72.3%

Well, my 1st time here thus my first post. I've been very excited to try a Sour Ale so stopping at the local BEV-MO, the very well informed associate directed me to Rodenbach Grand Cru as THE standard to compare all other sour ales to. I happily accepted his suggestion and made my purchase, exciteldy hurrying home to chill this little $10 baby. Well, maybe it's from my recent love affair with IPAs but my experience with this piss was (and still is) horrible. I am sitting here with a half full glass and building up the courage to for my next drink which may very well turn into a series of quaffs since I still have the other half of the bottle to finish and not really sure how I will do that. Maybe a bit o' the sweet leaf would help change my perspective but geez, I fully understand acquired tastes. I eat just every cuisine and adore great bourbons and great beers but this is not a beer. At least not what I've come to love and enjoy. I am very happy to have experienced to sour ale but this will certainly be my very last meeting with something that looks like Newcastle, heads like a Sam Adams but smells like nothing more than a bottle of Apple Cider Vinegar (which I will drink from time to time but I expect it to taste like shit). I am HUGELY apologetic for offending you lovers of this version of "drink" and I respect the efforts that went behind this labor of love but count me out. Sierra Nevada Torpedo or Hop Oil here I come! Peace out MFR's! (I hope this was constructive?)

1.25/5  rDev -70.7%

1.38/5  rDev -67.6%

Decided to try this out based on the reviews I saw on this site. To be honest, this was the first time I've tried a well-rated beer (based on this site's ratings) that I absolutely hated. I'm sure it's a great choice for some people, but both the smell and taste of this beer reminded me of a very sweet and sour vinegar. After trying it out and being suprised by its taste, I asked a friend to try it out and he totally agreed with me.

1.41/5  rDev -66.9%

I tried this beer with no preconceptions, although it was a Belgian Grand Cru. It may be my first Flanders Red Ale, but I've had quite a few oak aged beers in the past. I didn't like the taste. Too sour, very unique and lacking in a real beer feel. Tasted like Shiraz, in that it was dry and peppery, although it also had a watery consistency. Generally it was unpleasant, I don't think I'll be having another one, and I'll be noting my aversion to the style (not many beers of this style are available in Australia). A real disappointment.

1.56/5  rDev -63.4%

Very sour. I could hardly drink it.

1.69/5  rDev -60.3%

Pours a reddish brown color with a decent sized head. Looks decent, if not a little typical.

Very tart to the nose, hints of raspberries and sour apple. Overpowering and not at all pleasant.

Taste is terribly sour, like sucking on a green jolly rancher. Hints of acidic vinegar and ripe raspberries. Mouth puckeringly sour, with little else going for it. Oak notes are subdued and pretty much nonexistent behind the yeast-induced sourness. Made my mouth feel nasty afterwards too.

After spending $10 for a bottle, I certainly wasn't going to pour this down the drain, but I did think about it. I forced myself to drink every last drop of this god-awful beer. I award it no points for being unique. Just a terribly unappetizing beer.

1.75/5  rDev -58.9%

1.9/5  rDev -55.4%

Well, this was a surprise. Pop the cork and immediately a sour, yeasty smell emanates menacingly from the bottle. Hm, what's this...? Poured a clear amber into my goblet, with a huge fluffy head that faded fast, leaving little sign it was ever around.

The smell is... bold. It's a VERY intense sour fruit aroma with tons of funky yeast and gives a vinegary punch to the nose. Subtle this isn’t. I've never smelled a beer remotely close to this... smelled like cherry vinegar... I'm going to give it rather high marks on uniqueness of smell alone.

Taste is unbelievably sour. This ale smacks you right in the face with mouth-puckering sour fruit (chiefly cherries), citrus, and a raging tartness. It’s advertised as "aged 18 months in oak", but I couldn't tell. Second sip is just as horrid. I couldn't taste anything else past the mind-bending sourness. Just destroyed my palate. Ever drink pickle brine? Yeah, it's that harsh. Didn't enjoy this at all.

Finishes rather wet and with a lingering sourness. This is one bizarre beer.

I ended up dumping most of this one. My friend who shared the bottle with me (and took one in the wallet for us!) did the same.

I can possibly, maybe, see this beer paired with food and improving, but... it's a stretch. I'm actually a bit curious to sample this again (in the distant future) and see if I enjoy it the second time around. I actually wouldn't rule out the possibility that we got a bad bottle, but as it stands, this is the least drinkable beer I've ever had.. That said, it's certainly different.

Rodenbach Grand Cru from Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.