Rodenbach Grand Cru | Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.

Rodenbach Grand CruRodenbach Grand Cru

Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.
rodenbach.be

Style: Flanders Red Ale

Flanders Red Ale- a blend of 1/3 young beer and 2/3 aged beer matured for 2 years in oak foeders. The original sour ale.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000

Ratings: 4,043 |  Reviews: 1,149

Tastes as much of fruit as of beer. A sour apple dum dum is not a bad comparison. Pours out brown as a bottle, 2.0 puckers out of a possible 5.

3.01/5  rDev -29.3%

Scorched earth in my mouth. Acidity to clean the enamel right off my teeth. My lady enjoyed it a great deal, I truly hope to re-review this sometime down the line with much more positive things to say! I want to enjoy it as much as you guys do :(

3.01/5  rDev -29.3%

Appearance - wow, the first ounce or two gets completely converted to about four fingers of foam. Getting a mug full of this beer will take some patience. Ends up a nice caramel amber capped with a solid film of multi-colored foam ranging from light mocha to cocoa brown.

Aroma - yeasty, mild funk mixed with some sour lemon. Hmm, I'm undecided.

Taste - sour lemon, sweet, musty. A mix of flavors, some I like more than others. The finish is dry, tart, and sour. Still not my favorite style.

Mouthfeel - lively carbonation with medium body, this beer has panache, that's for sure.

Drinkability - I liked it less at first and more as I progressed. Generally, this isn't a beer I'd revisit, but it's not bad, just not for me.

3.03/5  rDev -28.9%

I bought this at Brussel Sprouts together with my long awaited Abbaye Des Rocs Brune beer. I
was pretty skeptical about this beer due to reviews saying that it is sour. I am just not into
sour beers and that's the reason why I close myself to Lambics. The Rodenbach is a Flanders Red
Ale style of brewing and is generally sour and fruity (in a sense analagous Lambics though not
quite) This Flanders Red Ale pours out slightly dark ruby red with minimal head which quickly
becomes a fair lacing. It smells intensely sour with notes of grape. The sour taste was further
pronounced in the taste and it was kind of too overwhelming for me; it was very much like someone
spilled vinegar into a beer that tastes like a light wine. I could develop an appreciation for
this beer by sipping it and the entry taste was actually fruity and yeasty which was quite
pleasant. But once the pellates are filled and the after taste starts to kick in the vinegar
like sourness is domainating and even in the nose. All in all way to sour for me; after I got
used to it; the sourness was mainly overwheming in the after taste and on the nose. The after
taste also has grapes in it; somewhat like red wine but the sourness kills it all. This ale was
medium body and with an overly high level of carbonation. Drinkability is low and this one's
definitely a sipper unless you want to sour up your evening. Not really my type but I still
can slightly appreciate the grape and winey side of it.

3.03/5  rDev -28.9%

Dark red, wannabe brown. Spotty Lacing. Pretty color.

Band aid, dark fruit, cherry, cherry and more cherry. Cough syrup cherry. Very dense and sweet. Bits of raisin and raspberry.

Very yeasty/sedimenty/grainy - which I dislike in sours. Lots of cherry, vanilla undertones.

Aforementioned grainy mouthfeel, cloyingly sweet. So much fruit in this.

I have come to the realization that there is a particular brand of sours that I don't care for. It is these dense, super fruity, acidic and sediment ridden ones. I'll keep revisiting the style though as I know Rodenbach is a staple.

3.04/5  rDev -28.6%

Rusty bike chain, leaky D batteries, fermented cider, and deep inside, a robust Belgian beer. I shall drink it 'til I get it right! It is part of a bounty I captured at my new favorite place on earth. It is the 7th Belgian I've tried and is very distinct in character. At first taste I believed it to be bad. I quickly inspected the bottle cap looking for signs of rust. There were none. I proceeded to google. To my fiscal satisfaction, it's supposed to taste that way. I will inspect every drop.

3.11/5  rDev -27%

Burnished cherry color, fairly translucent, with a good 2 cm of vanilla colored head resting atop.
The smell is tart, with red fruit, merteuille (I forget the english name of this red berry) and dark vanilla extract.
It rolls into your mouth with a sweet, full-bodied taste. There is a very distinct taste in the back of the palate – like a pleasant vomit. It's very acidic, dark and fruity (like black cherries).
An interesting taste, but it's just too damn sweet. It's dark, syrupy, acidic and very sweet. Too heavy to be really drinkable, and a flat, or possibly 2-diamensional taste.

3.13/5  rDev -26.5%

Serving type: on tap at Monk's Cafe, Philadelphia, PA.

Pours a very dark amber color with a foamy off-white head. Very sour fruity aroma with hints of oak and vanilla. Intensely tart and acidic with a nice amount of sour cherry as well as oak and vanilla. Very sour with a puckering dry finish.

3.14/5  rDev -26.3%

Pours a cool dark red color with a small tannish white head. Smell was extremely sour, very jolly rancherish. Also some cherries and a noticeable vinnegar smell towards the back. Taste was a bit better, with the sour flavors and fruit melding together. Mouthfeel was light to medium bodied. This beer was simply too sour for me, and way too acidic for me to handle. Maybe it is just the style. Im not sure...this was my first example of the style. cheers

3.18/5  rDev -25.4%

Very pretty scarlet red, absolutely clear, with an off white head. Smell was both sweet and sour- vinegar and soy sauce, mostly. Sour fruits, perhaps. Taste left me conflicted, I'm still not sure if I liked it or not. Balsamic and regular vinegar with some berries added. Salad dressing came to mind. After much thought, I think this reminds me of a vinegary arbor mist. I'm still unsure if that's good or bad though. Mouthfeel was fizzy, like a champagne, perhaps. Weird beer, probably spot on for the style, but I don't know, I'm not sold on it.

3.2/5  rDev -24.9%

Rodenbach Grand Cru from Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.