2009 Vintage Oak Aged Ale (Barrel No. 145) | Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.

2009 Vintage Oak Aged Ale (Barrel No. 145)2009 Vintage Oak Aged Ale (Barrel No. 145)

Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.
rodenbach.be

Style: Flanders Red Ale

Added by thagr81us on 10-24-2011

Shared this bottle with another taster.

Drinking this bottle made me think of that age old question, "If you were stranded on a desert island, what single (fill-in-the-blank) would you choose?" If I filled that slot with the word BEER I could easily choose this Rodenbach Vintage wonder.

The color and smell was as always with Rodenbach so I will not elaborate except to say that, for my money, Rodenbach is the gold standard for the Flanders Red style.

The balance was perfect! From the instant this beer hit my taste buds until it worked it way back, there was no change. The intensity and balance of taste remained equal all along the way, being as perfect as any beer I have ever consumed.

Fwiw, I recently shared a 2007 Vintage release. It did not seem to have the same punch as the 2009, but still, it was as perfect as the 2009 some five years past its bottling. Hence you can feel safe aging this beer for future enjoyment.

I would advise anyone who likes this style---if you find any of these Vintage releases for sale, buy all you can afford. You will not be disappointed. Lots of love to Rodenbach!

4.96/5  rDev +16.4%

I was truly fortunate to get my hands on a couple of these. Wow. Incredible.

4.71/5  rDev +10.6%

poured into a tulip.
No head, color dried blood, crystal clear.
smell is sweet and vinegar.
taste is incredible! sweet, with fruit flavors, cherry, sour, soft flavors from the wood.
even though its barely carbonated the sour makes up for it, mouthfeel is spot on.
Over-all drinkable as hell, softer and more nuanced than some of the standard flanders ales. As this is the first vintage Rodenbach I've had I'll have to come back to a fresher one.

4.58/5  rDev +7.5%

Brought in 2013 by opening this 750ml cork and caged bottle as my first beer for 2013.

Pours a very lovely cloudy reddish brown color minimal head that fades quickly.

Has that classic rodenbach smell. Tart fruit (cherries) up front with a hint of oak, but not much.

Tastes very tart up front, followed by a fruity sweetness and finishes with a hint of oak/wood flavor. Very nice. Mouthfeel is exceptional, very smooth beer.

A fantastic beer and probably one of my favorite of the Flanders reds. Great way to bring in 2013.

4.56/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%

750ml corked and caged bottle poured into tulip 24/12/12

A brownish orange with a ruby glow when held to the light, a finger of tan foam hangs around for a while leaving no lace

S do you remember those Fizz candies that came in two foot long strips with a candy every few inches? raspberry cider, faint toffee and balsamic vinegar, not much oak but some earthy notes work well, vinous notes but I can't pinpoint, I can't explain it but the smell is just amazing,

T much like the nose but with a little more cider and vinegar and less of the sweet candy notes, slightly sour and it still tastes great but the smell has something special going for it, I get a little brown sugar as it warms

M silky and smooth, leaves some slickness behind with a slight sour bite, bubbles are a little prickly and leaves a sour candy aftertaste

O I had no idea what to expect but this one made me a happy boy, its a great blend of sweet and sour with a beautiful nose, perhaps the age mellowed it out? either way I was expecting my mouth to turn inside out and that's far from the case

this one changed my perception of the style, the sweet and sour thing this has going on is wonderful, perhaps I'm just reliving my favorite childhood candy in a glass of beer but I can live with that

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

2009 Vintage Oak Aged Ale (Barrel No. 145) from Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.