Breakout Stout | Jailhouse Brewing Company

Style: American Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-08-2010

Reviews: 65 | Ratings: 187
4.68/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

Easily my new favourite American Stout. Purchased a 22 oz bomber at my local package store. I had been meaning to give this one a go for quite some time now, but always wound up reaching for something else.

I can't believe I've been overlooking this beer for so long. This one has everything that I look for in an American Stout.

Pours pitch black in colour, though not quite as thick as other comparable American Stouts ... Beautiful lacing with a relatively thin, tan head... Extremely strong notes of cappuccino dominate the scent - more so than any stout I've had in recent memory - though the cappuccino notes are not quite as prevalent in the flavour.

Flavour is packed with copious measures of roasted malts standing in front of more subtle traces of chocolate and burnt coffee. Mouthfeel is perhaps the only property of this stout that leaves something to desire. I prefer the thick, velvety smooth mouthfeel of a well-crafted milk stout, but this one is a bit thin relative to other American Stouts...

All in all, the Breakout Stout just surpassed Founders Breakfast Stout as my new favourite. I highly recommend giving this one a go.

4.42/5  rDev +14.2%

22oz bottle, no freshness date. Picked this one up in Atlanta on a semi-recent trip to Orlando. Served in a tasting snifter at cellar temp (definite must to let nose expand).

A- Pours dark, dark brown, pretty much black. there are faint hints of burgundy/maroon on edges, but barley visible. Without much effort I get a nice and creamy cafe au lait head that dissipates slowly and sticks to the sides of my glass willingly. Lots of lacing.

S- Chocolate on top of roasted malts, some coffee bitterness, and a short hop crispness. Slight dark fruit aroma, mixed with crackers and estery yeast characteristics. Not super complex, but very well balanced. Smells promising.

T- Again, mostly chocolate up front, with an espresso like bitterness. After some drinking it's quite nutty, and this is a good thing. In the middle I get a hint of dark fruit, but this subsides quickly and the brew finishes with espresso and hops. At 45 IBUs, the finish is great, without showing much hop character- mostly earthy. Not much alcohol to speak of, but it is there, a slight warming down the throat is all. Definitely balanced, and this is the beer's greatest strength. Seriously reminds me of Gudelos... but it has been a while.

M- On the full bodied side, but with a decent amount of carbonation to clean off the palate. The beginning is creamy and big, almost juicy, it rounds out in the middle where the carbonation kicks in, finishes dry and crisp.

O- So glad I picked this up by chance. I thought, "hey, I'm in Atlanta and this is a local Georgia brewery, why not give it a shot? Who knows the next time I'll be able to try it." I let this one sit for a couple months based on other reviews and I think it was a good decision. Even more time could be a good thing, up to a year or so. If you have the chance to try this beer do it. Not life changing, but solid and at a great price ($6), well balanced, and highly drinkable. Right on Jail House!

4.41/5  rDev +14%

Pours a deep, opaque sable with a fine-bubbled light tan head. Smoky, chocolaty aroma has an overtone of quality coffee and demands a taste. Mouth-filling mocha flavor is smoky, slightly bitter and also slightly sweet. Tingly, fizzy texture leaves a finish that is smoky and slightly hop-bitter.

4.4/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I had some last year and have bought a couple six packs this year. The bottle picture is different than in the picture and the sixer I bought were 8%. This is a good stout. It isn't quite as strong ABV as I like but it is very drinkable. To me this beer tastes best after I take it from my Yeti cooler and pour it and let it sit for about 10-15 minutes. The head gets thicker and that's what I enjoy in a stout, the thickness of each sip. It is really the only thing this beer lacks. I am a huge supporter of GA brewing and this is a beer that every stout fan should try and will enjoy.

4.38/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Roasted smell chocolate some sweetness. Complex flavor dark roasyed malts at first followed by dark chocolate and a sweet finish on the back. This beer is smooth drinking while letting you know the abv is there. Leaves a mouthfeel of having consumed some really great coffee despite not really having any coffee notes. My fav jailhouse offering so far.

4.35/5  rDev +12.4%

Drinking in a 20 oz Taco Mac mug.

This is more of an imperial stout than say a Guiness. It has a bittersweet/cocoa and coffee after taste. But I like it. If you don't, you need to stick to porters. I think this is an excellent stout from one of our newest breweries. Coffee flavors are king in this one.

4.3/5  rDev +11.1%

22oz bottle from Charlie's Beer & Wine (Woodstock, GA). 5.99. No bottling info. Served in a Founders snifter.

Pours a near black dark brown with 1.5 finger pillow of tan head. A healthy smattering if lacing.

Big roasty malt nose. Toast, sugar, a trace of smoke and a wisp of hops. Simple overall but inviting.

Aaah, malts! Chocolate and caramel malts, oats, char, cocoa, coffee and a little booze. A nice blend of dark malt falovers. A long bitter smokey (but tasty) aftertaste.

Midium light feel with a healthy dose of snappy carbonation.

I've enjoyed Breakout Stout several times so it's good to finally review it. My favorite "non imperial" stout, this is the beer that initially gave me respect for Glenn over at Jailhouse. It's a  great, complex and solid stout that was enjoyed by many at my wedding last year and deserving of a try if you haven't had it.

4.23/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

My next from this brewery thanks to cpinto6.

Pours a slightly darker colored fizzy/fluffy head that rises almost 2 fingers to the top of my glass and fades pretty slowly with some nice lacing, the beer being a super dark brown almost black beer with slight hints of ruby light sneaking through.

I can smell the nose on the pour, which helps since it takes a little while for the head to die down enough for me to smell it. I get some light coffee, a bit of espresso roast, and some big roasted malt aromas. Then some chocolate, baker's and dark chocolate with an aroma of fresh malted barley but a dark chocolate malt like aroma, and oatmeal, not really flaked oats, more like oatmeal. A big malty barley like aroma, probably a nice dosing of aromatic malt in this as well.

I hope the taste is similar to the nose and then this beer would be sitting well. Taste does bring a nice big malty kick again, starting with some roasted malts, a decent roasty flavor without the burnt acrid flavor is nice, and a light espresso coffee flavor. Then more chocolate, but very light on the chocolate, more like a hint of cheap dark chocolate and a chocolate malt flavor kinda like malted milk balls. Again with the oatmeal, also not flaked oats more like oatmeal which I think is a product from the barley flavors. Also similar to the nose it has a nice big fresh malted barley flavor, toasty grainy malts that have been nicely toasted. It's fairly drinkable as well, with a hint of a creamy taste, light caramel and vanilla. Some spicy earthy hops start to kick in as it warms and sits in my mouth, bringing a nice bitterness and a decent hop flavor that blends well with the taste. it's slightly sweet but fairly dry as well. As it finishes it dries off even more, with a slight sticky creamy feel, and more roast, coffee, oatmeal, and light cocoa.

Mouth is med to a bit heavier bodied, semi creamy, decent carb.

Overall I'm actually pretty impressed with this beer. I'm very surprised how low the rating is for it, but it goes more with the sentiment I get from most American craft beer drinkers that they always seem to want bigger, heavier, and bolder. This is a great drinking stout, not imperial stout, and more isn't always better. This brings nice malts, and tons of fresh barley flavors, oatmeal, nice roast and coffee, bit of chocolate, some nice earthy bittering hops to blend in, and a creamy but dry demeanor helps it to be quite drinkable despite almost 8% abv. I could drink lots of this one!

Comment: I break out some 85% dark chocolate and it really accents the beer, and brings out more of the malty toasty qualities. Also the booze comes out slightly as it warms, but just a bit.

4.23/5  rDev +9.3%

Got this one courtesy of gford217. Thanks man! Always excited to try up and coming new local breweries. Pours a dark brown color that is pitch black in the glass. Dense 1/2 inch head that stuck around for some time which eventually fell to a nice cap that left sheets of lacing on the glass. Very nice! Lovely aroma of charred grains, roasted coffee and a touch of chocolate. Taste is about the same. Very roasty, which I happen to like a lot, lightly bitter from some earthy hops, faint notes of chocolate and molasses on the velvety finish. This is exactly what an American Stout should taste like! Dry, roasty, a touch of dark chocolate, and a satiny mouthfeel. I also tried Jailhouse's wheat beer but forgot to review it. Both were VERY solid examples of their styles. I'll look for more from this brewery as they grow.

4.2/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle. My first Jailhouse brew.

Pours almost completely black with only some faint light passing through the edges. There's a huge thick beige head that recedes very slowly to a hefty cap. Really good looking stout.

Aroma is heavily roasted malts, chocolate and a bit of hops.

The taste is not quite as impressive as the nose. It's roasted black malts, cocoa powder and some earthy hops. Bitter, roasty finish.

The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied and maybe a tad thin. The body keeps this from being a superb beer.

Really nice first effort from Jailhouse. Very drinkable standard stout that lacks just a bit of body from being a great beer.

4.2/5  rDev +8.5%

Serving Type: 22 ounce bottle poured into pint glass, no freshness date.

Appearance: Almost black with a one finger head. Nice lacing.

Smell: Strong coffee and dark chocolate. Very nice nose.

Taste: Nice malt taste upfront with the coffee and chocolate flavors joining in quickly. Just the right amount of bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Good amount of carbonation, medium body, overall good mouthfeel.

Overall: Great offering from an young brewery, well done stout. Glad they are local, I look forward to supporting them. If you are passing through Atlanta check them out.

4.18/5  rDev +8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I like dark beers, slightly sweet and with body but not bitter. This was the my first time drinking this beer and it is all of that. Sorry I've never reviewed beers before so won't be using any professional reviewer terms here. I split a bottle and I'd say it was one of the best beers of it's type I've ever had.

4.18/5  rDev +8%

On tap at a bar in some upscale suburb of Atlanta. Appearance was completely opaque black with an adequate head and nice lacing. Smell was toasted caramel and slight hops. Mouthfeel was smooth chocolate with a hint of bitter hops. Taste was nicely balanced between malts and hops with a delicious lingering toastiness. Definitely a good brew for the style. Worth buying and drinking on frequent occasions.

4.17/5  rDev +7.8%

Big thanks to jerryfreak for sending my this bottle in the Locals Only BIF.

A: Pours a nice deep black, with just the thinnest of brown showing through on the edges when held up to the light. There is one finger of tan head, consisting of tiny bubbles, that lingers for a little while after the pour.

S: Smells of dark chocolate, plums, raisins, and caramel. I wish I could say that there was more roasted notes and toast in the nose, but it smells overly sweet.

T: Starts off roasty and sweet. The raisins and plum notes come though nicely, but there is a nice helping of roasted malt and burnt toast as well. The flavors that I wanted in the nose are coming though perfectly. The finish is nice and sweet with a big burnt toast characteristic shining though in the end.

M: This is Full bodied beer. There is a sweet silkiness in the start that lasts though the majority of the drink. But this beer finishes with plums and a burnt toast.

O: I think this is a really solid stout. It's not huge in booze, or huge in oppressive flavors. It's just right. After a long days work, I'd love relax with a bottle of this. I'm really glad to have tried it.

4.16/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a stubby 12 oz brown bottle into a clear glass snifter. No obvious freshness date. Received in an informal "locals" trade with my good friend Erinn.

A: Black with chestnut brown edges and capped with a 1/2-finger of chocolate cookie dough forthy but short-lived head and minimal lacing.

S: Fudgy with heavy chocolate overtones and a little bit of black coffee thrown in. The fudginess also has a light nuttiness that falls into a medium caramel crystal malt aroma. There are some dark fruits although they are overtaken by all the chocolate. A touch of herbal hops. No alcohol or yeast aromas.

T: Great flavor with a big blast of fudgy milk chocolate coupled with espresso coffee. Raisin with a hint of liqueur. Crystal malt caramel flavor comes through next, sporting medium to dark crystal malt sweetness. Generous hopping with a light herbal/earthy note finishes. Alcohol is not omnipresent but is detectable but enhances the flavor and feel. No yeast flavors. Low bitterness.

M: Silky smooth but almost to a fault, verging on syrupy. Carbonation could come up another 0.2-0.3 volumes to help this out. Body is full easily. Finish is lush.

O: I was impressed by Breakout Stout -- it was a bigger than most American (Imperial or Double) Stout with a strong slant towards maltiness and chocolate but with some more complex nuances as well. Great beer and glad I got a change to try it -- would definitely look to this one again.

4.15/5  rDev +7.2%

Poured into my new Brooklyn Tulip glass, it poured a dark black with an amazingly fluffy 1 inch head with little to no lacing. the head stuck around for the duration of the session

Smell- astrong odor of roasted coffee beans and malty undertones. smelled like fresh ground beans at the grocery store

Taste-delicious. coffee and chocolate at the beginning and ends with a mild coffee and malt finish

Mouthful- alarmingly light in body with a mild alcohol finish, it may be caused by the coffee. This one hides its ABV well

Drinkability- well balanced, a nice and not over the top Stout. would definitely drink again.

4.13/5  rDev +6.7%

I got this one a while back as an extra from Grant. Thanks homey. Poured into a tulip. Pours dark brown with about an inch of light khaki head and a bit of sticky lace.

The aroma is full and roasty. Full of sweet bakers chocolate and slightly charred coffee. Really hitting the spot. Much like the aroma this one has a full flavor of sweet chocolate and dark roasted coffee. Hints of mollasses come through in the finish and the flavor is full and roasty.

The body is medium and the carbonation is soft. Overall a pretty well made stout here. This one is very enjoyable. Certainly an under the radar gem here.

4.09/5  rDev +5.7%

Dark but not quite black pour with 2 fingers of unexpectedly white head. Not retention and not much in the way of lace.

Stale coffee, tobacco, vanilla, and mocha all combine for a big nose. Almost overwhelms at first, but calms down some as the beer warms. Very nice mix.

Vanilla comes on strong initially, hops really jump in towards the finish. Definite citrus notes. Earthy, tobacco flavor comes in just before the hop finish. Roast malt present and medium roast coffee in there, too.

Creamy feel. Lots of body here but not much to indicate the relatively high abv.

First try for my from this brewery and I'd say they've done a good job.

4.08/5  rDev +5.4%

When poured straight onto the bottom of a brandy snifter, this assertive stout gives a good 1" head of sand-colored foam. That's the darker sand from Long Beach Island, NJ; not from, say, Destin, FL. Quite brown and nearly opaque, like strong coffee. Tenacious lacing if you swirl it up the sides.

Raisins at first sniff, blooming into caramel or toffee. Taste? Good and stouty. It doesn't have an overwhelming chocolate flavor. Not quite as metallic nor thick as many stouts and porters. Just the right amount of fizzz.

Overall, I've never met a stout I don't love. A fellow shopper at "Ale, Yeah!" in Decatur, GA recommended Jail House's Breakout Stout to me, and I'm glad to be an accomplice. Cheers!

4.07/5  rDev +5.2%

Splitting a bottle with my brothers poured at cellar temp into a snifter.
The beer pours a rich chocolate brown hue with minimal beige head foaming up. The foam fades quickly to an edge layer. Aroma is roasted malt, dry cocoa powder and some coffee grounds. Pretty standard stout stuff. No real hops or hints of booze anywhere. First sip reveals an average body with silky smooth texture and gentle rolling carbonation. Flavor is roasted malt with some dry high %cacao chocolate hits and faint coffee notes in the background. No hint of the 8% ABV, very easy drinking beer, I could polish off the bomber alone with no issues.
A nice straightforward stout, dont expect a robust imperial as its not and its not supposed to be. Simply well crafted beer.

4.07/5  rDev +5.2%

A: thin head on a jet black body with no light getting through.

S: burnt toast, roasted malts, light coffee, grains and a little smokey.

T: roasted malts, earthy hops with a mild vanilla sweetness. Coffee dominates the finish but isn't overstated. I get chocolate less than others with this one.

M: full body, moderate carbonation with a dry finish.

Overall: this is a very well rounded stout. Not too sweet with all of the elements you want from a stout. I liked this one a lot.

4.07/5  rDev +5.2%

Dark brown body with ruby highlights when held up against the light. The head was two fingers thick, and khaki in color. The beer smelled very roasty, and I could detect coffee quite easily. There was also a background aroma of caramel toffee. The taste was sweeter than I expected, as the first sip had a bit more chocolate in it. Later the taste became more astringent, with burnt grain dominating. If there was a bone I would pick about this, it would be the rather thin body. The alcohol content was well hidden. A very approachable beer despite approaching imperial stout level strength. A nice addition to the local scene, and looking forward to sampling more of your fine craft.

4.03/5  rDev +4.1%

Served on tap at The Porter 6/05.

A: Deep black with a nice tan head that was well-retained.

S: Aroma was a little hard to pick up but what I got was mainly dark malt that was a little burnt, with some chocolate and coffee.

T: Lots of chocolate and roasted coffee flavors. Slight touch of smokyness with just enough hops to give a nice balance between bitter and sweet. Pretty standard stout flavor but well done.

M: Above average thickness and medium carbonation. Not the smoothest mouthfeel, but I definitely liked the ample body of the beer.

I went into this first beer from Jailhouse with a pretty open mind, and was impressed with it. Hope to see it around more often.

4.03/5  rDev +4.1%

I'm surprised at the breadth of reviews here for this beer. I can't help but think that there is a bad batch or two (or bottles) floating around. I, for one, enjoyed it, and found no glaring flaws like heavy diacetyl in the beer to mar my enjoyment. A beautiful pouring beer, lustrous black with a creamy tan head and nice lacing. Smells roasty and creamy with a mineral note. Tastes very balanced with roasty notes, a slight sweetness, some bitter chocolate and coffee notes, and an earthy backbone. A little bit sticky in the mouth, but lean enough overall to compensate. Not too sweet, and overall a fine job.

4.02/5  rDev +3.9%

On-tap at Cypress St. Pint and Plate during a local beer takeover.

Pours one shade from black with a 1.5-finger tan head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of dry roasted malts with hints of even darker black malts.

Tastes similar to how it smells, though more complex. Strong roasted malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by hints of lighter, and sweeter, toasted malts. Midway through the sip unsweetened chocolate flavors work their way into things along with slight amounts of roasted coffee flavors. The roasted malt flavors dry out as they carry through to a solidly bitter ending. As the beer warms hints of sharp citrus hop flavors drift in and out of the flavor profile.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's got a smooth thickness with grainy carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I finished my glass quickly and could have another.

Overall I was surprised with this beer and how it opens up as it warms. A nice example of the style that fits a lot of flavor into a small ABV. Well worth a shot.

Breakout Stout from Jailhouse Brewing Company