Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Breakout Stout | Jailhouse Brewing Company

Style: American Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-08-2010

4.75/5  rDev +22.7%

4.68/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

Easily my new favourite American Stout. Purchased a 22 oz bomber at my local package store. I had been meaning to give this one a go for quite some time now, but always wound up reaching for something else.

I can't believe I've been overlooking this beer for so long. This one has everything that I look for in an American Stout.

Pours pitch black in colour, though not quite as thick as other comparable American Stouts ... Beautiful lacing with a relatively thin, tan head... Extremely strong notes of cappuccino dominate the scent - more so than any stout I've had in recent memory - though the cappuccino notes are not quite as prevalent in the flavour.

Flavour is packed with copious measures of roasted malts standing in front of more subtle traces of chocolate and burnt coffee. Mouthfeel is perhaps the only property of this stout that leaves something to desire. I prefer the thick, velvety smooth mouthfeel of a well-crafted milk stout, but this one is a bit thin relative to other American Stouts...

All in all, the Breakout Stout just surpassed Founders Breakfast Stout as my new favourite. I highly recommend giving this one a go.

4.42/5  rDev +14.2%

22oz bottle, no freshness date. Picked this one up in Atlanta on a semi-recent trip to Orlando. Served in a tasting snifter at cellar temp (definite must to let nose expand).

A- Pours dark, dark brown, pretty much black. there are faint hints of burgundy/maroon on edges, but barley visible. Without much effort I get a nice and creamy cafe au lait head that dissipates slowly and sticks to the sides of my glass willingly. Lots of lacing.

S- Chocolate on top of roasted malts, some coffee bitterness, and a short hop crispness. Slight dark fruit aroma, mixed with crackers and estery yeast characteristics. Not super complex, but very well balanced. Smells promising.

T- Again, mostly chocolate up front, with an espresso like bitterness. After some drinking it's quite nutty, and this is a good thing. In the middle I get a hint of dark fruit, but this subsides quickly and the brew finishes with espresso and hops. At 45 IBUs, the finish is great, without showing much hop character- mostly earthy. Not much alcohol to speak of, but it is there, a slight warming down the throat is all. Definitely balanced, and this is the beer's greatest strength. Seriously reminds me of Gudelos... but it has been a while.

M- On the full bodied side, but with a decent amount of carbonation to clean off the palate. The beginning is creamy and big, almost juicy, it rounds out in the middle where the carbonation kicks in, finishes dry and crisp.

O- So glad I picked this up by chance. I thought, "hey, I'm in Atlanta and this is a local Georgia brewery, why not give it a shot? Who knows the next time I'll be able to try it." I let this one sit for a couple months based on other reviews and I think it was a good decision. Even more time could be a good thing, up to a year or so. If you have the chance to try this beer do it. Not life changing, but solid and at a great price ($6), well balanced, and highly drinkable. Right on Jail House!

4.41/5  rDev +14%

Pours a deep, opaque sable with a fine-bubbled light tan head. Smoky, chocolaty aroma has an overtone of quality coffee and demands a taste. Mouth-filling mocha flavor is smoky, slightly bitter and also slightly sweet. Tingly, fizzy texture leaves a finish that is smoky and slightly hop-bitter.

4.4/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I had some last year and have bought a couple six packs this year. The bottle picture is different than in the picture and the sixer I bought were 8%. This is a good stout. It isn't quite as strong ABV as I like but it is very drinkable. To me this beer tastes best after I take it from my Yeti cooler and pour it and let it sit for about 10-15 minutes. The head gets thicker and that's what I enjoy in a stout, the thickness of each sip. It is really the only thing this beer lacks. I am a huge supporter of GA brewing and this is a beer that every stout fan should try and will enjoy.

4.39/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.38/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Roasted smell chocolate some sweetness. Complex flavor dark roasyed malts at first followed by dark chocolate and a sweet finish on the back. This beer is smooth drinking while letting you know the abv is there. Leaves a mouthfeel of having consumed some really great coffee despite not really having any coffee notes. My fav jailhouse offering so far.

4.35/5  rDev +12.4%

Drinking in a 20 oz Taco Mac mug.

This is more of an imperial stout than say a Guiness. It has a bittersweet/cocoa and coffee after taste. But I like it. If you don't, you need to stick to porters. I think this is an excellent stout from one of our newest breweries. Coffee flavors are king in this one.

4.33/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.3/5  rDev +11.1%

22oz bottle from Charlie's Beer & Wine (Woodstock, GA). 5.99. No bottling info. Served in a Founders snifter.

Pours a near black dark brown with 1.5 finger pillow of tan head. A healthy smattering if lacing.

Big roasty malt nose. Toast, sugar, a trace of smoke and a wisp of hops. Simple overall but inviting.

Aaah, malts! Chocolate and caramel malts, oats, char, cocoa, coffee and a little booze. A nice blend of dark malt falovers. A long bitter smokey (but tasty) aftertaste.

Midium light feel with a healthy dose of snappy carbonation.

I've enjoyed Breakout Stout several times so it's good to finally review it. My favorite "non imperial" stout, this is the beer that initially gave me respect for Glenn over at Jailhouse. It's a  great, complex and solid stout that was enjoyed by many at my wedding last year and deserving of a try if you haven't had it.

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

4.23/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

My next from this brewery thanks to cpinto6.

Pours a slightly darker colored fizzy/fluffy head that rises almost 2 fingers to the top of my glass and fades pretty slowly with some nice lacing, the beer being a super dark brown almost black beer with slight hints of ruby light sneaking through.

I can smell the nose on the pour, which helps since it takes a little while for the head to die down enough for me to smell it. I get some light coffee, a bit of espresso roast, and some big roasted malt aromas. Then some chocolate, baker's and dark chocolate with an aroma of fresh malted barley but a dark chocolate malt like aroma, and oatmeal, not really flaked oats, more like oatmeal. A big malty barley like aroma, probably a nice dosing of aromatic malt in this as well.

I hope the taste is similar to the nose and then this beer would be sitting well. Taste does bring a nice big malty kick again, starting with some roasted malts, a decent roasty flavor without the burnt acrid flavor is nice, and a light espresso coffee flavor. Then more chocolate, but very light on the chocolate, more like a hint of cheap dark chocolate and a chocolate malt flavor kinda like malted milk balls. Again with the oatmeal, also not flaked oats more like oatmeal which I think is a product from the barley flavors. Also similar to the nose it has a nice big fresh malted barley flavor, toasty grainy malts that have been nicely toasted. It's fairly drinkable as well, with a hint of a creamy taste, light caramel and vanilla. Some spicy earthy hops start to kick in as it warms and sits in my mouth, bringing a nice bitterness and a decent hop flavor that blends well with the taste. it's slightly sweet but fairly dry as well. As it finishes it dries off even more, with a slight sticky creamy feel, and more roast, coffee, oatmeal, and light cocoa.

Mouth is med to a bit heavier bodied, semi creamy, decent carb.

Overall I'm actually pretty impressed with this beer. I'm very surprised how low the rating is for it, but it goes more with the sentiment I get from most American craft beer drinkers that they always seem to want bigger, heavier, and bolder. This is a great drinking stout, not imperial stout, and more isn't always better. This brings nice malts, and tons of fresh barley flavors, oatmeal, nice roast and coffee, bit of chocolate, some nice earthy bittering hops to blend in, and a creamy but dry demeanor helps it to be quite drinkable despite almost 8% abv. I could drink lots of this one!

Comment: I break out some 85% dark chocolate and it really accents the beer, and brings out more of the malty toasty qualities. Also the booze comes out slightly as it warms, but just a bit.

4.23/5  rDev +9.3%

Got this one courtesy of gford217. Thanks man! Always excited to try up and coming new local breweries. Pours a dark brown color that is pitch black in the glass. Dense 1/2 inch head that stuck around for some time which eventually fell to a nice cap that left sheets of lacing on the glass. Very nice! Lovely aroma of charred grains, roasted coffee and a touch of chocolate. Taste is about the same. Very roasty, which I happen to like a lot, lightly bitter from some earthy hops, faint notes of chocolate and molasses on the velvety finish. This is exactly what an American Stout should taste like! Dry, roasty, a touch of dark chocolate, and a satiny mouthfeel. I also tried Jailhouse's wheat beer but forgot to review it. Both were VERY solid examples of their styles. I'll look for more from this brewery as they grow.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.2/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle. My first Jailhouse brew.

Pours almost completely black with only some faint light passing through the edges. There's a huge thick beige head that recedes very slowly to a hefty cap. Really good looking stout.

Aroma is heavily roasted malts, chocolate and a bit of hops.

The taste is not quite as impressive as the nose. It's roasted black malts, cocoa powder and some earthy hops. Bitter, roasty finish.

The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied and maybe a tad thin. The body keeps this from being a superb beer.

Really nice first effort from Jailhouse. Very drinkable standard stout that lacks just a bit of body from being a great beer.

4.2/5  rDev +8.5%

Serving Type: 22 ounce bottle poured into pint glass, no freshness date.

Appearance: Almost black with a one finger head. Nice lacing.

Smell: Strong coffee and dark chocolate. Very nice nose.

Taste: Nice malt taste upfront with the coffee and chocolate flavors joining in quickly. Just the right amount of bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Good amount of carbonation, medium body, overall good mouthfeel.

Overall: Great offering from an young brewery, well done stout. Glad they are local, I look forward to supporting them. If you are passing through Atlanta check them out.

Breakout Stout from Jailhouse Brewing Company