Oude Kriek De Cam | De Cam Geuzestekerij

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Added by EPICAC on 12-05-2006

4.96/5  rDev +15.1%

4.89/5  rDev +13.5%

I think this was a 2009 vintage but I don't remember for sure because the label got torn off somehow. Poured from a 33cl (or is it 37.5cl?) bottle into a bubble glass.

Appearance: looks just like a ruby red/pink grapefruit. Stunningly beautiful. Much different color from any other kriek I've had.

Nose: Plenty of sourness and tart cherry, very refreshing and exciting.

Taste: Wow! This is one of those rare beers where you know as soon as you put it in your mouth that it's one of the best beers you're ever going to taste. Very sour, not quite brutally sour but exactly as sour as it needs to be to complement the fruit flavors. Beautiful cherry flavors coming through as well. I relished every sip.

My new favorite kriek, this is. Opened it at a tasting and everyone there agreed without hesitation that it was the best beer of the night. Quite a pleasant surprise.

9.8/10

4.79/5  rDev +11.1%

pink color highlighted a light amber color. Light haziness and cloudiness surrounded it with a nice one inch head of pink on top.

Solid. Tart cherries are all over the aroma here.rich sour notes are all over this one with great touches o apples and raspberries mixing in and a light touch of wood that seems to come out of nowhere. seriously just wonderfully done i could not get enough. a nice long fade of dry, tart and sour flavors leaves you looking for more right away! this was a classic example of the style done nearly perfectly. i have some older ones coming my way i cannot wait to try

overall this was just what the doctor ordered and really nicely done

4.77/5  rDev +10.7%

375ml bottle from 2005, corked and caged.

A nice reassuring pop when I removed the cork, it pours a very cloudy pinkish brown colour that turns orange red, yeah I said it, with a fine layer of foam and has some good lacing.

The smell is all about the cherries. Big nose of sour but there's more than a hint of sweetness going on. In fact, I'd say it's almost a 50 50 split. Very damn nice.

The taste, well, it's not what I expected given what I said about the smell. The sourness from the cherries is HUGE and there's a vinegar sourness that just adds some more mouth puckering flavour. Wow. Heavens to Betsy, can a beer be brewed that s more sour than this? I'm....loving it! I can just sense some malt but it's back back back in the background big time. The only other "taste" that mixes in is a small presence of yeast but it's tough to pull out.

Medium bodied, very light but noticeable carbonation, it drinks pretty much like a wine. And....drinkability, for me, is through the roof.

I don't have a clue as to how this drinks fresh but this 6 year old bottle has floored me. Maybe the best beer I've tried in 2011.

4.72/5  rDev +9.5%

I had a bottle of this at Delirium Cafe in Brussels. The Good Beer Guide: Belgium lists this as a different beer from Kriekenlambiek, so I'm adding it. When I ordered it the bartender said he hadn't seen it, but he came back a few minutes later with a dusty bottle that was dated 09.2004.

Appearance: When I poured out the first half the beer was crystal clear, but the second half had some cloudiness. That tells you how long the bottle had been sitting in the cellar undisturbed. The beer pours an orange-red color with a thin pinkish head that quickly fades to a thin ring.

Smell: Without swirling cherries and acidic sourness dominate the aroma with a light funky barnyard aroma. Upon swirling the barnyard aroma becomes very intense. Exactly what I want a kriek to smell like.

Taste: Very acidic and sour. There are tart cherry flavors that bring along no sweetness. The finish is noticeably earthy and funky... Marvelous.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied, low carbonation with an intensely dry finish.

Drinkability: A sipper, but a fantastic sipper.

Overall: A damn fine kriek.

4.7/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2005 vintage bottle at Kulminator

A - Pours deep red with one finger of quickly dissipating light pink head. The red color is very inviting.

S - Intense tart cherry aroma without a hint of the medicinal character I often get from krieks or other cherry beers.

T - Manages to be very fruity without being sweet at all. Mild but persistent funk presence. Quite tart throughout, but not in a lemony or vinegar way. It is pure cherry tartness, pure and clean. Absolutely delicious.

M - Light crisp and intensely tart, but still somehow refreshing.

O - Just delicious. Not very funky. Fruit is front and center here, but it works very well. Definitely the best kriek I've had, though I have a Lou Pepe I haven't opened yet. Can't wait to see how it compares.

4.68/5  rDev +8.6%

4.67/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.65/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.65/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Almond cherry pits!! lots of them with a nice tartness well roundedw ith big cherry flavour i really like this one it is one of the best kriek beers

4.63/5  rDev +7.4%

2006 vintage, 375ml bottle received in a past trade with javib458. Thanks a lot Javier!

Pours a dark ruby red, almost plum color with dark cherry/mahogany edges when held to a light source. There was a medium sized pop when I got the cork out but this beer poured completely still with no head to speak of.

Extremely FUNKY aroma with lots of earthy, stinky barnyard character. Lots of bugs and horseblanket with oak tannis and a boat load of sweet cherry. I'm surprised how well the cherry has held up in the nose. Kind of smells like 3F Schaerbeekse Kriek but much more musty and funky. Hints of cheese, feat and bandaid but in a good way.

Extremely sour and mouth puckering with a lot of earthy, musty funk and oaky tannis which is countered by a sweet tart cherry presence. Wow, this beer has become crazy funky and sour with a lingering puckering, vinegary finish that leaves me drooling for more. Although this beer is very acidic and not easy to drink, the aftertaste is incredible and I want another sip immediately. As in the aroma, the cherry fruit flavor has held up incredibly well. I know that this beer uses real cherres but the flavor is so prominent it tastes like cherry juice is added. Lots of tart sweetness balancing out the musty funk and earthy oak. After the initial palate shock this beer becomes less intense and stomach burning but it's still a sipper.

This beer is delicious and incredibly complex and I'm glad that I finally got a chance to try it. I wish De Cam beers were available here because I would buy this regularly. Now I need to find the Oude Gueuze!

4.62/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.61/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.61/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.59/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Oude Kriek De Cam from De Cam Geuzestekerij