Hefeweizen | Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery

fourpeaks.com

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by Gusler on 09-21-2003

4.63/5  rDev +26.2%

I had this beer on tap at the Four Peaks Brewery in N. Scottsdale, AZ.

The appearance was cloudy and light golden.

The taste was superb. There is a distinctive, pleasantly sour character that I usually only find in homebrewed Hefes and this beer has it. Many of the finer German bottled hefes available in America don't have it. I was very impressed with the subtle breadiness and citrus though I don't know if there was citrus added or just the character of the yeast. In any event, a perfect balance in a uniquely perfect brew for an 80 degree Arizona day.

Overall, one of my favorite commercial hefeweizens tasted to date.

4.4/5  rDev +19.9%

4.27/5  rDev +16.3%

Pours a rather hazy pale yellow with a nice head formed (particularly in light of the growler dispensing). Aroma is of cloves and a little banana in the background. I got around the serving temp problems you can run into by bringing it home and doing it myself. The taste is spicy with a hit of sweetness. Lots of lacing as I drank it down. Very drinkable as I finished off 3/4 of a growler that evening. A great hefe that doesn't overpower with the banana that can really turn me off of some (Gordon Biersch take note).

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

4.2/5  rDev +14.4%

I have had all of Four Peaks beers and am certain that this is their best. More than distinguishable amount of banana and cloves but not overpowering. I had three this afternoon and felt the beer improved with each taste. Don't let them serve it to you in a frozen mug unless you want a flavorless slurpee. Give the beer a few minutes in your glass, I know it's hard to wait, and the aroma and taste will balance wonderfully. Above average Hefeweizen from a local brewery here in the Phoenix area.

4.16/5  rDev +13.4%

Poured a cloudy yellow with almost no head. The body looked nice, but I would've liked a bit more head. Scents of cloves, wheat and some banana. The typical hefeweizen scents. Flavors include a nice hit of clove spice, crisp wheat malt and yeasty bread. There is a slight sour acidity, but that may be because they put a lemon in the glass. A part from that it was quite true to style and pleasant. Mouthfeel is light bodied with high carbonation. Again, true to style. A good hefeweizen, pretty true to style, but the sour note was unwelcome. I'd drink it again and ask for no lemon.

4.09/5  rDev +11.4%

Beer served on draft at Four Peaks in Tempe, AZ. No one cares but this is my 400th review. Beer served in a shaker pint glass.

Beer is yellow / darker yellow and really super hazy, completely hazy. There is a lemon slice on the side of the glass and I get rid of it quickly. The beer is moderately carbonated but has nearly no head and there is no lacing on the glass (when I finished the beer I notice a little lacing at the bottom but really nothing before that).

Overwhelming smell of banana esters in this beer. I've had wheatwines that don't stack up to this smell. wow.

Medium to low bodied beer with a strong sweetness from a strong ester component. Overall the beer is really drinkable and has a nice clean wet finish to it. A great session beer no doubt. Definite clove flavor well balance and carried throughout the pallet by the carbonation. I really love this beer. Its a great hefe. I wish the lemon weren't there.

4.02/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

tried this in a flight! It was one of the better 8 i sampled

This sits a very hazy pale straw color in my glass and is topped by a thin pale white head. The aroma is a smack of banana followed by a dash of clove. The taste is sweet and spicy with an evident wheat character to it. There is some definite fruitiness, a by product of the yeast, evident through to the finish. Notes of banana and clove dominate the taste, as a good Hefe should. This beer is a light, refreshing, characterful, traditional Hefeweizen.

Hefeweizen from Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery