Hop Knot | Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery

Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery
Arizona, United States
fourpeaks.com

Style: American IPA

Our Hop Knot IPA is made only from American malt and lots of American hops, which produce a big, broad-shouldered, hoppy beer backed up by a character as warm as, well, Mom and apple pie...

Hop Knot IPA get its peculiar name from the weaving of four different hops added at four separate times during the brewing process. Including our cavernous hop-back, which gets so stuffed with whole leaf hops that we feel genuine guilt for its excess. Hop Knot is an ale that is to be enjoyed with friends, spicy food or any time you need a good hop fix without the harsh bitterness. We hope you enjoy this pioneering beer made in the bold spirit of Americans everywhere.

Added by Gueuzedude on 09-23-2003

4.75/5  rDev +19.3%

A- clear golden straw, freakin' huge fluffy off white head, lace on glass, and head retent is feels like an eternity(which is alright cause its such a pretty beer to look at)

S- strong fruity citrus aroma (orange maybe), grainy scent as well but fairly faint

T- bitter-sour-slight sweet grain flavor is awesome. sweet scent is much more than sweet taste. Sweetness is their faintly but is more easily noticed afterwords.

M- thinner than i remember, though im sure the fact that is comes from a growler has something to do with that. Really silky smooth though.

D- this is an amazing pale ale. Well made brew. Wish they bottled this stuff so i could get it all the time. Amazing stuff.

4.74/5  rDev +19.1%

This beer is my ideal IPA. A Hoppy, American IPA. Not too bitter so its accessible to non-hop heads. It is a bit sweet, but not overpoweringly. Just balanced and has that lovely pine aroma as you draw your first sip.

There is no better beer on a cold day.

4.69/5  rDev +17.8%

I just bought my first case of the newly-bottled stuff, and I wasn't planning on reviewing it again, but this is worthy. It's even better out of the bottle than the on-tap serving I had in Tempe last month. The color is a deep, rich yellow, quarter inch of white head. Smells intensely of piney hops. One of the greatest aromas I've ever experienced from a beer. Tastes of citrus, with some grapefruit and maybe a bit of orange in there, but not the overwhelming bitterness you get sometimes. Carbonation is right on the money. One of the most drinakble IPA's I've had. I had Pliney the Elder on tap in San Diego this past summer, and for my money, this is actually a tad better when it's this fresh. Nice job, Four Peaks!

4.69/5  rDev +17.8%

Pours a golden honey color with a white head that dissipates pretty quick but remains an oily film across the top. Smells of HUGE hops, green, bitter, fresh, pine-y hops. I felt like i just laid down face first in a barrel of hop flowers. Taste is well, HOPS. It is loaded with pine-y, green hops that are oily and mouthcoating, but surprisingly not as bitter I as expected. It seems you can add a TON of hops without getting too much bitterness!

These are now being bottled, only available at the brewery for now, and at only 36.50 a case it is, by far, the best bottled beer made in arizona. I am happy this is FINALLY in the bottle. I plan on keeping a steady supply in my fridge. IMHO this can compete with the "big boys" around the country and at around 1.50 a bottle I suddenly dont feel the need to seek out other stuff from around the country.. this is my new "go to" IPA!

4.69/5  rDev +17.8%

On tap, it arrived at our table glowing a clear golden-copper amber and held a finger-thick off-white head that filled what little space was available above the beer (my only complaint, really, but technically I got more beer). The head was fueled by multiple steady streams of carbonation that lasted throughout the drink and provided ample support to the amazing sheets of sticky lacing that graced the glass while I sipped on it. Awesome head retention and lacing? A great way to start a beer off, in my opinion.

I held my nose over the brew and caught huge whiffs of orange peel and grapefruit zest, pine needle hops, and some faint grassy-malt sweetness underneath. The lively bitterness almost made it seem fizzy in my nose, but it was a welcome vivacity from an IPA and was very reminiscent of summer.

Eager to bathe my taste buds in the hoppy glory that was emanating from the Hop Knot, I first had to get over how super quaffable the brew was. This is some seriously smooth beer. It flooded my mouth with just enough piney, resiny hops, orange peel and grapefruit zest without overwhelming my senses. It was freshly bitter and bright without too much bite thanks to the lightly caramel sweet malts that made a quick appearance before the grand finale. Throughout the drink, the bitterness briskly jigged with the finely-bubbled peppy carbonation, creating a lighter mouthfeel (among a medium body) and leaving my tongue feeling awake and refreshed. And despite all of the happy hops jumping around between my cheeks, the ending was nice and smooth with a clean aftertaste.

4.68/5  rDev +17.6%

4.67/5  rDev +17.3%

A pint draft pour.

Clear golden with no noticeable carbonation or head. It has a noticeable aldehyde/hopped aroma. You get a definite hop punch in the first sip, but not so much so that it overwhelms the senses. Medium body with a bitter finish. Overall, a very drinkable beer. A nice balance between the hops and alcohol. Not over the top hoppy, but hopped enough to satisfy hop-heads such as myself.

4.66/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.65/5  rDev +16.8%

Had on tap at four peaks and was so good I decided to get a growler. Pours with a decent sized head that leaves lacing in the glass.

Smells strongly of citrusy AND piney hops. Very nice. A subtle malt sweetness comes through.

The taste is exceptional for an IPA. All of the hop flavor with none of the bitterness. Upfront with a citrusy fruity malt flavor followed by a piney hop finish with no bitterness. Goes down easy, and perhaps the only flaw of the beer is the over carbonation.

Overall, a great beer period. If you ever come to AZ, you should get it.

4.65/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Delightful discovery of a trip to Arizona.
Very bummed to find that it is not available in the area where I live.

4.64/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Two 12oz bottles courtesy of the Arizona legend Tayner.

One of those bottles poured into a Four Peaks pint glass. Man I love branded glassware.

Smell, Wow. Big citrus hops with piney hops thrown into the mix.

Taste, is there malt in this brew? Big citrus and piney hops dominate. A firm malt backbone though keeps this beer in check. Aromatic and Crystal malt keeps this beer balanced and lends mucho complexity. Very forthright hop presence keeps smacking my taste buds around, while the sweet malt tries in vain to reign them in.

Overall, I don't know how to sum this up. Big citrus hops combined with a firm malt backbone. Pliny? Dreadnaught? Leatherlips? I'm sorry, but for the ABV you don't stand a chance. I'm adding this as a permanent "Wants". Wow is all I can say. Kudos to the brewers for masking such awesome hop presence.

I have a new favorite IPA. Sorry Leatherlips and Finest Kind IPA.

4.6/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Hop Knot 4.5 across all categories

Light copper in color, nice clarity and lace.
Excellent floral hop aromas with appropriatte malt and caramel malt dash of sweet support. Tastes as it smells with some dark citrus fruit notes.
Very enjoyable IPA, best Four Peaks offering in my opinion. Reminds me of a cross between a lighter more flavorful SN Torpedo. I had this at the brewery and restuarant and it really grew on me. Nice work on this one Four Peaks.

FYI...8th st pale and hop knot are the best to style.

4.6/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Similar to any other IPA, great. Great lacing. Full thick head.

S: hops up front, sweet, citrus, much sweeter than on-tap.

T: It is one of my favorite beers. Bitter enough. Sweet finish. Pine and citrus tones.

M: Not thick not watery. Smoother out less bite than tap.

D: You reach for your glass and its empty, happened to me ALL the time.

4.59/5  rDev +15.3%

This one surprised me! They put the glass in front of me, and I saw a pretty average, golden, slightly cloudy beer, with just a bit of head, but it did hold a while, and had some pretty nice lacing. Then I put it to my nose, and got punched in face! The hops dominated!! The taste was pretty much what you would expect from the aroma! This was like chewying on hops! Loved it!!! I would swim in this stuff!

Hop Knot from Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery