Hop Knot | Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery

Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery
Arizona, United States
fourpeaks.com

Style: American IPA

Our Hop Knot IPA is made only from American malt and lots of American hops, which produce a big, broad-shouldered, hoppy beer backed up by a character as warm as, well, Mom and apple pie...

Hop Knot IPA get its peculiar name from the weaving of four different hops added at four separate times during the brewing process. Including our cavernous hop-back, which gets so stuffed with whole leaf hops that we feel genuine guilt for its excess. Hop Knot is an ale that is to be enjoyed with friends, spicy food or any time you need a good hop fix without the harsh bitterness. We hope you enjoy this pioneering beer made in the bold spirit of Americans everywhere.

Added by Gueuzedude on 09-23-2003

Reviews: 142 | Ratings: 574
3.98/5  rDev -0.5%

Had this from the cask at Four Peaks in Tempe...poured into an Imperial pint glass.

Appearance is light copper color, about a 1/2 finger head, cascading down the glass. Smells like an IPA should...hoppy, citrusy, a little piney...the cask conditioning gives it a bit sweeter smell, and a bit more murky appearance.

This tastes great. I had a taste of the regular Hop Knot, and it was good. But, cask-conditioning makes this beer stand out. it's just cool enough to be refreshing, and a lot of the beer's flavors come through very well. There are some bittersweet notes here...and the malts seem to be very well balanced with the hops. They boast that this is brewed with four different hops at four different times throughout the brewing process...not too out of the ordinary...and this has turned into quite a delicious beer our here in the desert.

Overall, I could drink this all night. I really like what the cask conditioning gives to this beer...and if I could, I would take a growler back on the plane with me!

3.8/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

On-tap in a Weizen glass, for whatever reason.

A: Golden yellow with a clear one and a half finger head.

S: Oh man. You get a great burst of citrus on the nose, which lead me to believe I'd be in for a more fruity IPA.

T: Absolutely nothing like the nose at all. At first it started out as a complete hop bomb, and with a name like Hop Knot, I should have assumed as much. Much hoppier than the nose led me to believe it would be. Interestingly enough, the hop profile started to get taken over by a strong malt backbone as I finished it off. So it was strange, to me, that it went from being a complete hop bomb to a slightly malty taste. I don't want to say it was a bitter malt taste, because that doesn't really make sense. But when the malts took over you could kind of get a sense that the hops were trying to push their way through. Very interesting!

M: Great mouthfeel. Nice and smooth. A thin coating of the mouth. Enough to let the flavor linger, but not enough to glue your mouth shut.

O: Overall, I found this beer to be very interesting. Very citrus heavy on the nose to nothing but hops for the first half of the beer, to this internal malt vs hop struggle at the end. Would recommend, though I'm not sure how often I would drink this.

4.21/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A - 4 - Great looking beer with thick white head that leaves huge lacing. Golden-amber color like most ipas, crystal clear.
S - 4.25 - Huge grapefruit and citrus zest. Pineapple, smells super fresh.
T - 4.25 - Great grapefruit, citrus zest, mango and pineapple. Tastes a little like a great homebrewed IPA. Very sweet caramel malt background.
M - 4 - light-medium mouthfeel, aftertaste is sweet malt with grapefruit/pineapple/mango flavors. VERY fresh. alc covered well.
O - 4.25 - Great beer. Proud to say it's from Arizona.

4.69/5  rDev +17.3%

I just bought my first case of the newly-bottled stuff, and I wasn't planning on reviewing it again, but this is worthy. It's even better out of the bottle than the on-tap serving I had in Tempe last month. The color is a deep, rich yellow, quarter inch of white head. Smells intensely of piney hops. One of the greatest aromas I've ever experienced from a beer. Tastes of citrus, with some grapefruit and maybe a bit of orange in there, but not the overwhelming bitterness you get sometimes. Carbonation is right on the money. One of the most drinakble IPA's I've had. I had Pliney the Elder on tap in San Diego this past summer, and for my money, this is actually a tad better when it's this fresh. Nice job, Four Peaks!

3.16/5  rDev -21%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

This was poured into a ping glass.
The appearance was a light hazy burnt orange to amber color with a one finger white foamy head that dissipated at a nice pace.
The smell had some malt sweetness, sweet floral hops and a light citrusy hops.
The taste replicated the aroma nicely leading into a light semi-sweet to bitter aftertaste, not bad.
The mouthfeel was about a light to medium on the body with a decent sessionability about it. Carbonation runs light and almost creamy.
Overall, a decent IPA, almost to the English style but I can see the American aspects of this one so...yeah, decent beer.

3.72/5  rDev -7%

Golden in color, exceedingly clear, one finger of white foam. Retention and lacing are minimal. The aroma is quite nice, strong grapefruit and tropical fruit notes. Taste is tropical fruit, grapefruit. Hops are forward, but mild malt backbone. Light medium body, moderate carbonation, somewhat dry finish. Overall a very nice version of the style.

4.07/5  rDev +1.8%

a: pours a nice deep golden color.. solid finger worth of head.. some bubbles streaming up..

s: right away i got hit with that signature cat-piss simcoe aroma.. fresh green grass hop as well.. also some overall fruitiness with an almost cake-like aroma..

t: upfront is that green leafy/wet hoppiness..then you get hit with some mild citrus & some fruitiness.. some caramel malt also pulls through.. finish is semi-bitter with mild citrus rind bitterness..

mf: light-medium body with an almost crisp feel.

o: solid ipa for arizona.. not sure on the freshness.. cant wait for this to be start rolling out in cans!!

4.19/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

On tap at the 8th Street location.

Look: Golden and very clear.

Smell: Noticeably sweet. Peach comes to mind, plus some citrus fruits, none specifically. Slight bit of pine in the background.

Taste: Delicious, but almost a hair too sweet. Citrus is the most up-front fruit note. Nice bit of pine and floral, as well. Hoppy and but not super bitter.

Feel: The bitterness lingers for a minute or so. Then fades while still being able to feel the citrusy sweetness.

Overall: Nothing ground-breaking here from Four Peaks' flagship IPA. But an incredibly drinkable and tasty IPA.

4.11/5  rDev +2.8%

I've enjoyed many a pint of this beer but this review is of my first bottle of it. Got a case at the brewery in Tempe. It is a light golden almost straw like yellow. Unlike the many pints I've had the head was rather small, probably due to having a lower co2 content than the draft. Other than that though the taste was the same as draft. Some malt but mostly plenty of hop flavor and a nice easy drinking bitterness. Some citrus and grassy hop flavor. Aroma is like that of a fresh cut lawn, grassy. A well balanced easy drinking beer.

4.59/5  rDev +14.8%

Bought the newly produced cans on Saturday the 21st, so about a week ago. That was the release date so you know it's nice and fresh. Wish they had some kind of dating on the cans though. Poured into a regular old pint glass.

Appearance - Pours a nice light golden clear color with about a finger's worth of white head. Leaves a bit of lacing. Head diminishes to a nice light film over top with a few bubbles here and there.

Smell - Literally the first thing that comes to mind is DANK! Another descriptor would be oily/resiny! There's a good reason for this description as hops (Humulus lupulus) are in the same family (Cannabaceae) as marijuana (Cannabis sativa). I just don't understand it, but I love this smell (can't lie, I've smelled weed and love that smell too). Just something about it. Anyways you also get that nice floral and citrusy IPA smell. It's got a good amount of tropical/grapefruit and citrus to it and some sweetness smell as well. Seems like everytime I have this, I end up with a nose full of foam because I can't help but keep sticking my nose in it again and again! Grassy smell is in there a bit also, but they use like 7 different kinds of hops. Not surprising. I could literally bathe in that smell. If someone made a cologne that smelled like this, I'd probably never be without it. This is probably the epitome of what I think an IPA should smell like. I love it.

Taste - Seems like the taste is just what you'd expect from the smell. There's citrus goodness, like orange and some other light citrus, with some tropical fruit and herbal notes. Burps bring out the best of it, and some pine. Also the malt bill is there enough to be nice and balanced and make it not too bitter or biting and give it some bready or biscuity notes. This is a strong IPA but seems pretty well balanced as well, if that makes sense. Taste is very good, but not quite amazing. Probably a 4.5 out of 5.0.

Mouthfeel - Feels great. Nice and light medium bodied for an IPA, with a crispness and carbonation level a bit above creamy, probably medium carbonation. Basically very drinkable. And at 6.7% ABV, it's something I can drink a 64 oz growler of over the course of 3-4 hours. It's just that good and drinkable. Finish is lighter but not on the dry side. Leaves my palate wet with anticipation of the next sip every damn time.

Overall - Sometimes I really hate living in Arizona. The heat drives me crazy, I can't stand it. But as long as I'm here and Four Peaks is too, my go-to local beer will be Hop Knot and it makes living here pretty worthwhile. I've got a few Four Peaks growlers, one of which is designated for nothing but Hop Knot. And it gets used fairly often. The fact that cans will now be readily available kind of leaves my growler feeling threatened. But you know you really can't beat the freshness of a straight from the tap growler fill on the weekend. Basically, if you're in the valley and enjoy IPAs, this brew is NOT TO BE MISSED! 4.5 out of 5.0!

3.97/5  rDev -0.7%

Big Thanks to aandresen for this extra.12 oz can poured into a Duvel tulip at fridge temp.

A. Clear golden color body looks crisp, Bid 2 and a half finger off white head.Very healthy carbonation.Sticky lacing.

S. Very nice,very piney and good amount of grapefruit and pineapple.Little bit of lemon and grass in the back end.

T. Bitter pine and grapefruit a small amount of passion fruit and floral hops.Balences out nicely.Dry finish.

M. Weakest part of this beer.Pretty thin and light on the palate.Good carbonation.

Overall very good IPA,pretty straight forward.Very drinkable and refreshing.I would buy a case of this if I could get it.I recommend.

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

Smells citrusy and hoppy. Light malty flavors with great hop bitterness and plenty of citrus as well. Great color and mouthfeel. Really enjoyed this beer.

4.22/5  rDev +5.5%

Taken from notes 10/8/10

A - Clear and bright yellowish orange with a tiny white head that leaves rather quickly

S - Big piney and citrus hops. Very nice nose, almost no malt just luscious hops

T - Piney and grassy hops from start to finish with a touch of fruity hops only after your palate adjusts. The finish is dry and grassy but not overyly dry.

M - A light IPA, very crisp and dry. High carb

D - I couldn't put this down. I really enjoy all the hops from the nose to the finish.

I was impressed by the balance of hops in this beer. Very nice array of hops from pine to grass to fruit...a very solid American IPA

4.07/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Golden orange in color, smells citrusy and piney, a bit flowery, taste is very well balanced between slightly bitter hops and bready malts. Actually not as much hop flavor as I expected, this tastes more like an APA than an IPA to me. The feel is very easy drinking and light. Overall this is one of my favorite IPAs, probably because of how much it reminds me of a regular American pale ale.

3.25/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3/6/17 (12oz bottle, Long Beach) Aroma is tough to nail down, hops are obscured by a grassy/hay smell, taste is still pretty balanced, overall this is a pretty good effort, 3.25

4.64/5  rDev +16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Two 12oz bottles courtesy of the Arizona legend Tayner.

One of those bottles poured into a Four Peaks pint glass. Man I love branded glassware.

Smell, Wow. Big citrus hops with piney hops thrown into the mix.

Taste, is there malt in this brew? Big citrus and piney hops dominate. A firm malt backbone though keeps this beer in check. Aromatic and Crystal malt keeps this beer balanced and lends mucho complexity. Very forthright hop presence keeps smacking my taste buds around, while the sweet malt tries in vain to reign them in.

Overall, I don't know how to sum this up. Big citrus hops combined with a firm malt backbone. Pliny? Dreadnaught? Leatherlips? I'm sorry, but for the ABV you don't stand a chance. I'm adding this as a permanent "Wants". Wow is all I can say. Kudos to the brewers for masking such awesome hop presence.

I have a new favorite IPA. Sorry Leatherlips and Finest Kind IPA.

3.8/5  rDev -5%

Poured from a can into a pint glass. It pours a light yellow. Nice fingers worth of white head. Big hop aroma as it should. The taste is clean and mild. Not what I was expecting with a name like hop knot. I think most of the hops were put in the hopback and not much in the boil. At only 47 ibu it seems almost like more of a pale ale. It is quite tasty though. It's a beer I enjoy drinking while I'm in AZ.

4.24/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Got this courtesy of Phelps - thanks Zach!

Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - A medium to deep amber with a one finger creamy head. Nice retention and adequate lacing throughout.

S - Very nice! Fruity aroma with grapefruit up front and some piney hops and trace of floral. Smell persisted until the end.

T - Taste similar to the smell. Hop bitterness mingled with fruitiness and a light malt presence. No pronounced lingering bitterness. Very good balance.

M- Fairly light with medium carbonation. I normally like a little more body with my IPA's but this one was just about right for this long hot summer.

O - I liked this brew. It would be a regular in the fridge if available locally, especially during hot weather. Recommend!

4.22/5  rDev +5.5%

APPEARANCE: This beer, poured from a tap at the brewery's restaurant, came to our table with an approximately 1/4" thin white head that dissipated quickly with virtually no head lacing. Carbonation was light and the body was a clear golden hue with orange highlights.

AROMA: There was a light aroma of sweet malt in the background with heavy aromas of citrus, floral and pine, and lighter overlays of grass and orange. The aroma was quite potent, nearly what you might expect from a DIPA.

TASTE: Taste followed the nose here with the exception that there was a slight taste of alcohol -- all in all, a pleasing taste for an American IPA.

MOUTHFEEL: This beer had a medium body and a slightly oily texture, carbonation that was quite lively, virtually no body lacing, and a moderately bitter aftertaste. The initial flavor was moderately bitter with a light sweetness to it, while the finish was heavily bitter with a light dryness to it.

DRINKABILITY: This was a very nice West Coast IPA. The high carbonation added a little zing to the tongue. It had a nice balance between the hops and alcohol -- not overpowering at all and quite drinkable. I'd like to have another. Would I buy it again? Sure, if I'm ever in the Phoenix area.

4.17/5  rDev +4.3%

A: Head was low and died quickly, but there was good lacing. Clear gold with a touch of copper. S: The hops come through with sweet citrus--like orange or tangerine--and there was also a bit of malty sweetness. T: Wow. The sharpness was there, but in a good way, the flavors danced through various citrus and florals, but there weren't crazy and there was enough malt--both up front and then underneath the hops to keep things in balance. M: Moderate, and not too drying. D: I actually puled back on tis rating to be fair. First, it was a wicked hot Tempe summer day, so the beeriness along made it drinkable. Don't get me wrong, though. If I lived in Tempe, I'd be drinking a lot of these.

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

12oz bottle courtesy of Tayner (also got one from Justn!) in a trade. I loved the first one and decided to review the second bottle she sent. No date on the bottle, but it was relatively fresh when Tayner sent it and it's been in the fridge ever since.

a- pours clear, rather pale, with a fluffy 2 finger head

s- citrusy hops, but not overly sharp, coming from the west I set the bar high and it doesn't disappoint

t- hop forward profile, with a small amount of citrus, and surprisingly balanced given the origin. Could be sharper on the hops

m- fluffy feeling, good carbonation for the style

d- very drinkable, 6% abv so I could have a few of these. That said, not the most drinkable IPA I've had.

overall a very enjoyable beer. I wouldn't go out of my way for this, and it's not irreplaceable, but I'd love to have this as a local/standby...thanks Tayner! We'll have to see how this compares to leatherlips, which I sent her.

3.92/5  rDev -2%

Poured from a can with no date code into a pint glass.

A: Pours a golden color with a big off-white head that settles. There is a lot of thin sticky lacing.

S: Big smell of citrus. Grapefruit big time, pine and orange.

T: Mostly grapefruit. there is a little orange and light malt.

M: A little thin but very drinkable.

O; I like it. It is easy to drink and if it was on tap; I would have it.

3.97/5  rDev -0.7%

Thank you to azdback for the can.

Pours a slight hazy golden orange. Short fluffy head fades fairly quick to a thin layer. Some strong pine, fresh hops on the nose, followed by a grapefruit tangerine zest. A tart citrus fresh cut grassiness fills the pallet. Nice hops on the tongue as well. The mouth feel is a slight thick but a very well balanced beer. The citrus and fresh hops dance on the back of the pallet for a descent amount of time.

Overall a really nice IPA. I'll be looking for this on my trip to AZ for spring training.

4.42/5  rDev +10.5%

A- Clear Golden with a sudsy head.

S- Citrus and Floral hops exploding all over.

T- This beer is intense first sip. Just a crazy wonderful mix of hops. Spicy, bitter and citrus all dominating. The aftertaste is nice and will leave your mouthwatering.

M- Spicy & carbonated, light bodied.

D- I can't explain how awesome this beer is. At 6% it's got nut, but you can still pound them.

4.59/5  rDev +14.8%

This one surprised me! They put the glass in front of me, and I saw a pretty average, golden, slightly cloudy beer, with just a bit of head, but it did hold a while, and had some pretty nice lacing. Then I put it to my nose, and got punched in face! The hops dominated!! The taste was pretty much what you would expect from the aroma! This was like chewying on hops! Loved it!!! I would swim in this stuff!

Hop Knot from Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery