Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Hop Knot | Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery

Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery
Arizona, United States
fourpeaks.com

Style: American IPA

Our Hop Knot IPA is made only from American malt and lots of American hops, which produce a big, broad-shouldered, hoppy beer backed up by a character as warm as, well, Mom and apple pie...

Hop Knot IPA get its peculiar name from the weaving of four different hops added at four separate times during the brewing process. Including our cavernous hop-back, which gets so stuffed with whole leaf hops that we feel genuine guilt for its excess. Hop Knot is an ale that is to be enjoyed with friends, spicy food or any time you need a good hop fix without the harsh bitterness. We hope you enjoy this pioneering beer made in the bold spirit of Americans everywhere.

Added by Gueuzedude on 09-23-2003

3.8

3.56/5  rDev -9.9%

4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

Not bad for an out of state brewing co

4.75/5  rDev +20.3%

3.92/5  rDev -0.8%

3.68/5  rDev -6.8%

4.68/5  rDev +18.5%

2.75/5  rDev -30.4%

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

3.8/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

On-tap in a Weizen glass, for whatever reason.

A: Golden yellow with a clear one and a half finger head.

S: Oh man. You get a great burst of citrus on the nose, which lead me to believe I'd be in for a more fruity IPA.

T: Absolutely nothing like the nose at all. At first it started out as a complete hop bomb, and with a name like Hop Knot, I should have assumed as much. Much hoppier than the nose led me to believe it would be. Interestingly enough, the hop profile started to get taken over by a strong malt backbone as I finished it off. So it was strange, to me, that it went from being a complete hop bomb to a slightly malty taste. I don't want to say it was a bitter malt taste, because that doesn't really make sense. But when the malts took over you could kind of get a sense that the hops were trying to push their way through. Very interesting!

M: Great mouthfeel. Nice and smooth. A thin coating of the mouth. Enough to let the flavor linger, but not enough to glue your mouth shut.

O: Overall, I found this beer to be very interesting. Very citrus heavy on the nose to nothing but hops for the first half of the beer, to this internal malt vs hop struggle at the end. Would recommend, though I'm not sure how often I would drink this.

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%