Hop Knot | Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery

Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery
Arizona, United States
fourpeaks.com

Style: American IPA

Our Hop Knot IPA is made only from American malt and lots of American hops, which produce a big, broad-shouldered, hoppy beer backed up by a character as warm as, well, Mom and apple pie...

Hop Knot IPA get its peculiar name from the weaving of four different hops added at four separate times during the brewing process. Including our cavernous hop-back, which gets so stuffed with whole leaf hops that we feel genuine guilt for its excess. Hop Knot is an ale that is to be enjoyed with friends, spicy food or any time you need a good hop fix without the harsh bitterness. We hope you enjoy this pioneering beer made in the bold spirit of Americans everywhere.

Added by Gueuzedude on 09-23-2003

3.8

4.69/5  rDev +18.4%

On tap, it arrived at our table glowing a clear golden-copper amber and held a finger-thick off-white head that filled what little space was available above the beer (my only complaint, really, but technically I got more beer). The head was fueled by multiple steady streams of carbonation that lasted throughout the drink and provided ample support to the amazing sheets of sticky lacing that graced the glass while I sipped on it. Awesome head retention and lacing? A great way to start a beer off, in my opinion.

I held my nose over the brew and caught huge whiffs of orange peel and grapefruit zest, pine needle hops, and some faint grassy-malt sweetness underneath. The lively bitterness almost made it seem fizzy in my nose, but it was a welcome vivacity from an IPA and was very reminiscent of summer.

Eager to bathe my taste buds in the hoppy glory that was emanating from the Hop Knot, I first had to get over how super quaffable the brew was. This is some seriously smooth beer. It flooded my mouth with just enough piney, resiny hops, orange peel and grapefruit zest without overwhelming my senses. It was freshly bitter and bright without too much bite thanks to the lightly caramel sweet malts that made a quick appearance before the grand finale. Throughout the drink, the bitterness briskly jigged with the finely-bubbled peppy carbonation, creating a lighter mouthfeel (among a medium body) and leaving my tongue feeling awake and refreshed. And despite all of the happy hops jumping around between my cheeks, the ending was nice and smooth with a clean aftertaste.

4.68/5  rDev +18.2%

4.67/5  rDev +17.9%

A pint draft pour.

Clear golden with no noticeable carbonation or head. It has a noticeable aldehyde/hopped aroma. You get a definite hop punch in the first sip, but not so much so that it overwhelms the senses. Medium body with a bitter finish. Overall, a very drinkable beer. A nice balance between the hops and alcohol. Not over the top hoppy, but hopped enough to satisfy hop-heads such as myself.

4.66/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.65/5  rDev +17.4%

Had on tap at four peaks and was so good I decided to get a growler. Pours with a decent sized head that leaves lacing in the glass.

Smells strongly of citrusy AND piney hops. Very nice. A subtle malt sweetness comes through.

The taste is exceptional for an IPA. All of the hop flavor with none of the bitterness. Upfront with a citrusy fruity malt flavor followed by a piney hop finish with no bitterness. Goes down easy, and perhaps the only flaw of the beer is the over carbonation.

Overall, a great beer period. If you ever come to AZ, you should get it.

4.65/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Delightful discovery of a trip to Arizona.
Very bummed to find that it is not available in the area where I live.

4.64/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Two 12oz bottles courtesy of the Arizona legend Tayner.

One of those bottles poured into a Four Peaks pint glass. Man I love branded glassware.

Smell, Wow. Big citrus hops with piney hops thrown into the mix.

Taste, is there malt in this brew? Big citrus and piney hops dominate. A firm malt backbone though keeps this beer in check. Aromatic and Crystal malt keeps this beer balanced and lends mucho complexity. Very forthright hop presence keeps smacking my taste buds around, while the sweet malt tries in vain to reign them in.

Overall, I don't know how to sum this up. Big citrus hops combined with a firm malt backbone. Pliny? Dreadnaught? Leatherlips? I'm sorry, but for the ABV you don't stand a chance. I'm adding this as a permanent "Wants". Wow is all I can say. Kudos to the brewers for masking such awesome hop presence.

I have a new favorite IPA. Sorry Leatherlips and Finest Kind IPA.

4.6/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Hop Knot 4.5 across all categories

Light copper in color, nice clarity and lace.
Excellent floral hop aromas with appropriatte malt and caramel malt dash of sweet support. Tastes as it smells with some dark citrus fruit notes.
Very enjoyable IPA, best Four Peaks offering in my opinion. Reminds me of a cross between a lighter more flavorful SN Torpedo. I had this at the brewery and restuarant and it really grew on me. Nice work on this one Four Peaks.

FYI...8th st pale and hop knot are the best to style.

4.6/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Similar to any other IPA, great. Great lacing. Full thick head.

S: hops up front, sweet, citrus, much sweeter than on-tap.

T: It is one of my favorite beers. Bitter enough. Sweet finish. Pine and citrus tones.

M: Not thick not watery. Smoother out less bite than tap.

D: You reach for your glass and its empty, happened to me ALL the time.

4.59/5  rDev +15.9%

This one surprised me! They put the glass in front of me, and I saw a pretty average, golden, slightly cloudy beer, with just a bit of head, but it did hold a while, and had some pretty nice lacing. Then I put it to my nose, and got punched in face! The hops dominated!! The taste was pretty much what you would expect from the aroma! This was like chewying on hops! Loved it!!! I would swim in this stuff!

4.59/5  rDev +15.9%

Bought the newly produced cans on Saturday the 21st, so about a week ago. That was the release date so you know it's nice and fresh. Wish they had some kind of dating on the cans though. Poured into a regular old pint glass.

Appearance - Pours a nice light golden clear color with about a finger's worth of white head. Leaves a bit of lacing. Head diminishes to a nice light film over top with a few bubbles here and there.

Smell - Literally the first thing that comes to mind is DANK! Another descriptor would be oily/resiny! There's a good reason for this description as hops (Humulus lupulus) are in the same family (Cannabaceae) as marijuana (Cannabis sativa). I just don't understand it, but I love this smell (can't lie, I've smelled weed and love that smell too). Just something about it. Anyways you also get that nice floral and citrusy IPA smell. It's got a good amount of tropical/grapefruit and citrus to it and some sweetness smell as well. Seems like everytime I have this, I end up with a nose full of foam because I can't help but keep sticking my nose in it again and again! Grassy smell is in there a bit also, but they use like 7 different kinds of hops. Not surprising. I could literally bathe in that smell. If someone made a cologne that smelled like this, I'd probably never be without it. This is probably the epitome of what I think an IPA should smell like. I love it.

Taste - Seems like the taste is just what you'd expect from the smell. There's citrus goodness, like orange and some other light citrus, with some tropical fruit and herbal notes. Burps bring out the best of it, and some pine. Also the malt bill is there enough to be nice and balanced and make it not too bitter or biting and give it some bready or biscuity notes. This is a strong IPA but seems pretty well balanced as well, if that makes sense. Taste is very good, but not quite amazing. Probably a 4.5 out of 5.0.

Mouthfeel - Feels great. Nice and light medium bodied for an IPA, with a crispness and carbonation level a bit above creamy, probably medium carbonation. Basically very drinkable. And at 6.7% ABV, it's something I can drink a 64 oz growler of over the course of 3-4 hours. It's just that good and drinkable. Finish is lighter but not on the dry side. Leaves my palate wet with anticipation of the next sip every damn time.

Overall - Sometimes I really hate living in Arizona. The heat drives me crazy, I can't stand it. But as long as I'm here and Four Peaks is too, my go-to local beer will be Hop Knot and it makes living here pretty worthwhile. I've got a few Four Peaks growlers, one of which is designated for nothing but Hop Knot. And it gets used fairly often. The fact that cans will now be readily available kind of leaves my growler feeling threatened. But you know you really can't beat the freshness of a straight from the tap growler fill on the weekend. Basically, if you're in the valley and enjoy IPAs, this brew is NOT TO BE MISSED! 4.5 out of 5.0!

4.57/5  rDev +15.4%

Had this at Magpies Pizza in 4th Street in Tucson

Poured golden/bronze with 1 finger of pearl white head. Good lacing & head retention

S: Nice citrus & pine hops with some breadyness once warm

T: Grapefruitty, peppery & pine hops plus a kiss of honey malt up front. Breadyness mingles with nice piney hops as this warms. Finishes crisp & moreish, almost pulled a 5.0

MF: Medium bodied with lively carbonation that makes the hops pop. Great balance as well

Probably the best beer I had in AZ, one to quaff, despite the ABV

4.56/5  rDev +15.2%

4.54/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Floral piney notes and a smooth finish make this a beer I can drink all day!

4.52/5  rDev +14.1%

Aroma smells strongly of citrus. Grapefruit is the dominating taste coming from the copious amounts of flavor hops. Bitterness is bellow average for an IPA. Mouthfeel is light to medium. I enjoyed the beer immensely and see this as being interchangeable with Hopslam.

Hop Knot from Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery