Hop Knot | Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery

Hop KnotHop Knot

Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery
Arizona, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Our Hop Knot IPA is made only from American malt and lots of American hops, which produce a big, broad-shouldered, hoppy beer backed up by a character as warm as, well, Mom and apple pie...

Hop Knot IPA get its peculiar name from the weaving of four different hops added at four separate times during the brewing process. Including our cavernous hop-back, which gets so stuffed with whole leaf hops that we feel genuine guilt for its excess. Hop Knot is an ale that is to be enjoyed with friends, spicy food or any time you need a good hop fix without the harsh bitterness. We hope you enjoy this pioneering beer made in the bold spirit of Americans everywhere.

Added by Gueuzedude on 09-23-2003

Reviews: 129 | Ratings: 539
4.6/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Similar to any other IPA, great. Great lacing. Full thick head.

S: hops up front, sweet, citrus, much sweeter than on-tap.

T: It is one of my favorite beers. Bitter enough. Sweet finish. Pine and citrus tones.

M: Not thick not watery. Smoother out less bite than tap.

D: You reach for your glass and its empty, happened to me ALL the time.

4.02/5  rDev 0%

A: pours a clear golden orange color with a white head with a little bit of lacing.

S: All hops. very piney and citrus hops.

T: really flavorful. get the sweet pine flavors and some fruit tones.

M: A lot of carbonation and a very crisp and clean drink.

D: Although its 6.0%, this beer is really drinkable. A solid IPA from AZ.

4.3/5  rDev +7%

Hop Knot is a great offering from Four Peaks Brewing. Everything a 'hop head' could want in an IPA. Citrus notes definitely dominate here in this golden colored beer. There are hoppier IPA's out there, but this definitely delivers and is a very drinkable variety. Give this one a try and you will not be disappointed.

3.13/5  rDev -22.1%

From notes:

12 oz bottle received as an extra. Pours a very slight hazy pale golden yellow color with two finger frothy white head that quickly settles into a thin ring. Minimal spots of lacing.

Very bland aroma that isn't very hoppy. Slightly floral with pale malt and light citrus fruit notes in the nose.

Medium bodied with some earthy bitter hops up front that are quickly countered by a pilsner malt like backbone. Slightly earthy/piny before with hints of subtle citrus. Crisp and easy to drink with a slightly dry finish but nor very exciting.

4.12/5  rDev +2.5%

12oz thanks to Phelps in Blind Beers BIF III.

Blind review.

A- Nice filtered pale golden color, thin but lasting head, sticky but spotty lacing. 2nd pour kicks up a bit more head.

S- Tropical fruity hops, nice resiny sticky hop nug aromas.

T- IPA for sure, good fruity bouquet and great clean bitterness. Tangerine, honeydew, mango/papaya. Pretty pale, no heavy malts here.

M- Mot much malt, drying, def. a west coast interpretation of an IPA. Really easy to drink.

D- High.. Easy drinking, low ABV, strong hops. Hop profile kind of reminds me of sculpin (nowhere near as intense though). I enjoyed this one a lot- if this is available to you locally, buy some.

4.69/5  rDev +16.7%

On tap, it arrived at our table glowing a clear golden-copper amber and held a finger-thick off-white head that filled what little space was available above the beer (my only complaint, really, but technically I got more beer). The head was fueled by multiple steady streams of carbonation that lasted throughout the drink and provided ample support to the amazing sheets of sticky lacing that graced the glass while I sipped on it. Awesome head retention and lacing? A great way to start a beer off, in my opinion.

I held my nose over the brew and caught huge whiffs of orange peel and grapefruit zest, pine needle hops, and some faint grassy-malt sweetness underneath. The lively bitterness almost made it seem fizzy in my nose, but it was a welcome vivacity from an IPA and was very reminiscent of summer.

Eager to bathe my taste buds in the hoppy glory that was emanating from the Hop Knot, I first had to get over how super quaffable the brew was. This is some seriously smooth beer. It flooded my mouth with just enough piney, resiny hops, orange peel and grapefruit zest without overwhelming my senses. It was freshly bitter and bright without too much bite thanks to the lightly caramel sweet malts that made a quick appearance before the grand finale. Throughout the drink, the bitterness briskly jigged with the finely-bubbled peppy carbonation, creating a lighter mouthfeel (among a medium body) and leaving my tongue feeling awake and refreshed. And despite all of the happy hops jumping around between my cheeks, the ending was nice and smooth with a clean aftertaste.

4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

I had this on draft a few times while visiting Sedona. This has to be one of the best IPA's I've had in a long time. Everything about it screamed IPA. The hops were so present, i wish I saw it more often while i was here.

The color is a slightly cloudy gold, a little on the light side with a decent amount of carbonation. The aroma, as I said, screamed hops in a very refreshing way. The flavor, again, had a great hop character...maybe a little out of balance but who cares. If you want an IPA and want there to be no doubt that that's what you're drinking, this is the IPA for you. I wish I came across IPA's this good more often.

3.46/5  rDev -13.9%

A: Clear amber gold in color. Forms a smallish, rocky white head that reduces down to a rocky surface coating. Good lacing.

S: Some light hops. Citrus and pine. Aroma is kind of weak, though.

T: Caramel malt, biscuit malt. Pine resin bitterness. Slightly sweet with a lot of unpleasant bitterness. Way off balance.

M: Lighter bodied with active carbonation.

D: A decent beer, but out of balance. Lighter bodied, but still malty, with the hops never really showing through in a positive way. Out of balance? yes. Out of date? possibly, but no way to tell.

3.73/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Golden-amber-orange in color with a fairly white head. First pint or two from the growler was firm and sticky after which it was a pretty runofthemill. Thin cap of foam. Spotty lacing. Nice hoppy aroma, citric and a little floral, but a little too clean for me to love it. Malts are pale and offer only a little hint of sweetness. From the growler, the hopping throws out about three seconds of pop before fading into the pale malt - slightly cloying - sweetness. Funny phrase: too balanced. This is definitely a hop-sided beer, but I still don't feel like I love how the malts come in and take over the finish. Body is well on the light side. Drinkability is of course rock solid.

4.22/5  rDev +5%

Taken from notes 10/8/10

A - Clear and bright yellowish orange with a tiny white head that leaves rather quickly

S - Big piney and citrus hops. Very nice nose, almost no malt just luscious hops

T - Piney and grassy hops from start to finish with a touch of fruity hops only after your palate adjusts. The finish is dry and grassy but not overyly dry.

M - A light IPA, very crisp and dry. High carb

D - I couldn't put this down. I really enjoy all the hops from the nose to the finish.

I was impressed by the balance of hops in this beer. Very nice array of hops from pine to grass to fruit...a very solid American IPA

4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

A: Pale yellow-orange with some nice lacing around the top rim of my pint glass.

S: Citrius and very heavy pine presence. I detected nearly no malt in the aroma.

T: Very intense first sip, with nice hop resin flavors and pine. Just a hint of malt sweetness.

M: Crisp and bubbly, just as you would expect.

D: There's nothing quite like a fresh, well-made IPA on tap. I can't imagine drinking this out of the bottle, bit if you ever get a chance to try it in-house, don't pass it up.

4.42/5  rDev +10%

A- Clear Golden with a sudsy head.

S- Citrus and Floral hops exploding all over.

T- This beer is intense first sip. Just a crazy wonderful mix of hops. Spicy, bitter and citrus all dominating. The aftertaste is nice and will leave your mouthwatering.

M- Spicy & carbonated, light bodied.

D- I can't explain how awesome this beer is. At 6% it's got nut, but you can still pound them.

3.65/5  rDev -9.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a nonic. Thanks Phelps!

Pours a clear golden amber color with a quickly dissipating foamy white head. Leaves behind intricate webs of lacing. Aroma is mild, sweet with citric and pine hops and light caramel malt. Body is a little too thin for the style, but appropriate fine carbonation. Flavor has a strong citric hop sweetness and a malty and grainy presence that doesn't quite balance it, so much as fight it. Reminds me a lot of the Starr hill northern lights IPA, in that it smells like an above average IPA but falls apart a little in the flavor and body.

4.74/5  rDev +17.9%

This beer is my ideal IPA. A Hoppy, American IPA. Not too bitter so its accessible to non-hop heads. It is a bit sweet, but not overpoweringly. Just balanced and has that lovely pine aroma as you draw your first sip.

There is no better beer on a cold day.

4.6/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Hop Knot 4.5 across all categories

Light copper in color, nice clarity and lace.
Excellent floral hop aromas with appropriatte malt and caramel malt dash of sweet support. Tastes as it smells with some dark citrus fruit notes.
Very enjoyable IPA, best Four Peaks offering in my opinion. Reminds me of a cross between a lighter more flavorful SN Torpedo. I had this at the brewery and restuarant and it really grew on me. Nice work on this one Four Peaks.

FYI...8th st pale and hop knot are the best to style.

4.22/5  rDev +5%

My first cask pale ale. The regular Hop Knot is one of my favorites, so I'm excited for this.

A sticky, foamy white head with craggy bubbles comes to me about two fingers wide. It quickly ebbs to half that, but that's as low as it gets. Great retention. The liquid is a perfectly clear light tangerine, with no visible carbonation.

What an incredible aroma. Hop Knot uses four different hops added at different times in the brewing process, and right now they're all combining in sweet piney, grassy, harmonious brightness. I once toured Deschutes brewery and got to stand inside their hop storage unit -- this smells like I'm back in that hop closet. Bitter but not biting, and backed by a mild honey sweetness.

Light bitterness hinted at. Citrusy, piney hops lead the way, and sweet caramel malts back it up. The owner of Four Peaks once told me this was his favorite beer because it's the most balanced they produce, and I'd have to agree. Sweet caramel malts fuse with a powerful hoppiness in perfect congruity. Incredible.

Carbonation is negligible, as cask ale tends to be, but surprisingly and satisfyingly full-bodied. Smooth over the tongue, and almost creamy. I'm usually not a fan of beers without carbonation, but the trade-off here is improved body, and it works.

Whether in keg or cask, the balance and drinkability this beer delivers every time I try it shows why Hop Knot is -- and remains -- my favorite IPA.

3.72/5  rDev -7.5%

Enjoyed on tap in Scottsdale (brewed in Tempe). A very decent drinking American IPA. Lots of lace on medium yellow coloured body. Pleasant C-hop aroma. Very decent bitterness.Appropriate carbonation and average mouthfeel. Of their two IPAs, this was the clear winner.

3.65/5  rDev -9.2%

Poured a yellow orangish color with a nice head and some decent carbonation on it. Nose of some hops, a little piney scent. Tasted a little citrus, piney and floral. I can tell there are some American C's here, Chinook, Centennial and perhaps Amarillo finshed with some bitterness. Mouthfeel is a bit thin and in no way is this a IIPA. Overall probably the best beer from Four Peaks.

3.77/5  rDev -6.2%

On tap at Four Peaks. Poured into a pint glass.

Looks nice, great consistant bubbles rise through a golden-orange clear and filtered body.

Smell is good. Nice citrus hops and bit of caramel malt shine through.

Taste is great but I remember it being more hop forward the last time I had it. Perhaps this is a batch that's a month or 2 old. Medium bitterness. Nothing extreme, but a little too toned down for me.

Mouth is appropriate for the style. Just enough malt to be substantial.

A good IPA, but I think it's been better in the past. Would def. have again, and it's worth trying, but I'm waiting for the double hop knot in a few months :)

3.97/5  rDev -1.2%

Poures clear orange-gold with a bubbly white head. Moderate lacing. Funky pine hops with a bit of sweat-sock in terms of the resin. Earthy, herbal, and a lot of citrus zest. Carbonated, popping mouthfell with a long, sharp finish. Very bitter hop bite, more sour than sweet, with a fair amount of resin. Like a blend of grapefruit, pine, and white pepper. This is very tart, but in the American/West-Coast IPA sense. Some graininess with the malt, as well as some sticky mouthfeel. Good stuff for hopheads.

3.98/5  rDev -1%

Had this from the cask at Four Peaks in Tempe...poured into an Imperial pint glass.

Appearance is light copper color, about a 1/2 finger head, cascading down the glass. Smells like an IPA should...hoppy, citrusy, a little piney...the cask conditioning gives it a bit sweeter smell, and a bit more murky appearance.

This tastes great. I had a taste of the regular Hop Knot, and it was good. But, cask-conditioning makes this beer stand out. it's just cool enough to be refreshing, and a lot of the beer's flavors come through very well. There are some bittersweet notes here...and the malts seem to be very well balanced with the hops. They boast that this is brewed with four different hops at four different times throughout the brewing process...not too out of the ordinary...and this has turned into quite a delicious beer our here in the desert.

Overall, I could drink this all night. I really like what the cask conditioning gives to this beer...and if I could, I would take a growler back on the plane with me!

3.45/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: clear gold-copper, some head and lacing

Smell: Bit of hops, pine, grapefruit, orange tangerine, and sweet malt, a little weak

Taste: Very crisp, if that is a taste. bit of piney hops up front with some medium-body malt on the back-end adding a bread element.

Drinkability: nice to try, but very forgettable. You could put a few back though.

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

12oz bottle courtesy of Tayner (also got one from Justn!) in a trade. I loved the first one and decided to review the second bottle she sent. No date on the bottle, but it was relatively fresh when Tayner sent it and it's been in the fridge ever since.

a- pours clear, rather pale, with a fluffy 2 finger head

s- citrusy hops, but not overly sharp, coming from the west I set the bar high and it doesn't disappoint

t- hop forward profile, with a small amount of citrus, and surprisingly balanced given the origin. Could be sharper on the hops

m- fluffy feeling, good carbonation for the style

d- very drinkable, 6% abv so I could have a few of these. That said, not the most drinkable IPA I've had.

overall a very enjoyable beer. I wouldn't go out of my way for this, and it's not irreplaceable, but I'd love to have this as a local/standby...thanks Tayner! We'll have to see how this compares to leatherlips, which I sent her.

4.08/5  rDev +1.5%

Had a pint at the Four Peaks - Tempe on 3/28.

A: A very pretty copper-orange, crowned with a thick white one-finger head of suds. Not a ton of carbonation, just a few random bubbles. Very clear with a healthy lacing, glued on in sticky bands.

S: Sweet caramel, pine and grapefruit aromas intermingling.

T: Pithy orange/grapefruit bitterness. A caramel maltiness flows in waves. Quite tasty, great balance.

M: Silky smooth, the epitome of 'creamy'.

D: A fine IPA. Flavor is nothing too creative, but is a well-balanced and flavorful brew nonetheless. A pleasure to drink, one I'd have again.

3.9/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Growler shared by glid02.

Pours a very light golden amber with a small soapy white head that dissipates fairly quickly leaving little lacing. I think the appearance suffered a bit being from the growler.

The aroma is dominated by the sweet citrus hops, though it's not over-the-top hoppy. There is some malt sweetness but not much.

The initial taste is of the juicy tropical citrus, pineapples and oranges especially. The finish has a little more pine presence and leaves a nice bitterness after each sip.

The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with good carbonation and makes for an extremely drinkable IPA. This is my first beer from Four Peaks and I definitely enjoyed it.

Hop Knot from Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery