Hop Knot | Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery

Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery
Arizona, United States
fourpeaks.com

Style: American IPA

Our Hop Knot IPA is made only from American malt and lots of American hops, which produce a big, broad-shouldered, hoppy beer backed up by a character as warm as, well, Mom and apple pie...

Hop Knot IPA get its peculiar name from the weaving of four different hops added at four separate times during the brewing process. Including our cavernous hop-back, which gets so stuffed with whole leaf hops that we feel genuine guilt for its excess. Hop Knot is an ale that is to be enjoyed with friends, spicy food or any time you need a good hop fix without the harsh bitterness. We hope you enjoy this pioneering beer made in the bold spirit of Americans everywhere.

Added by Gueuzedude on 09-23-2003

Reviews: 131 | Ratings: 545
4.02/5  rDev +0.2%

A solid, workhorse sort of an IPA, with a pleasing bitterness and good citrus/pine/classic hop flavor thing going on. Perhaps a touch watery, but otherwise a satisfying brew that you'd never be disappointed to find in your fridge.

3.48/5  rDev -13.2%

Pours a nice clear gold with a fluffy white head.
Smells mildly spicy, some hints of citrus and minty pine. A burst of hops up front immediately followed by some malt sweetness. There is a lingering citrus aftertaste, slight astringency, and some rich malts.
Overall, not a bad beer. I wouldn't drink it everyday but it would be nice on a hot summer day.

4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

12 oz can into a tulip glass. No date indicated. Thanks to azdback for this!

Pours a nice clear dark amber body. Neat fluffy white foam simmers down to a thick edging and a thin cap. Super sticky lacing. Aroma is grapefruit heavy with a bit of pine and dank resin. Taste is similar with bitter grapefruit and pine. Finishes floral with some caramel malt. One of the driest finishes I've ever had in an IPA. So dry it chaps the lips. Mouth feel is a bit watery but the bitterness helps carry the favors through to the very end. Overall this is a really solid IPA that I would never kick out of the fridge. I really love that dry finish, pretty unique for the style.

3.06/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Joey for opening up this bottle at La Bella Pizza tonight. I have heard quite a bit about this beer and wanted to try it for a while.

This beer poured a bit too pale for an IPA in my opinion, almost a straw yellow but with a decent amount of head, good lacing too.

Huh? Hardly any hops detectable on the nose, what I first pick up is a weird dirty grain aroma. Maybe a little citrus after the beer warms up, some grassy tones, light caramel, but there really isn't all that much in there.

Tastes grainy, and the grain bill does not seem to be in harmony in this beer. Hardly any hops in the flavor as well, just a little earthy at times. Some lemon flavor later on. Very thin body. Faint caramel in the finish.

Decent carbonation but a bit too thin for an ipa, seems more like a pale ale.

Quite disappointed in this one, not sure if we had an old bottle but it doesn't seem like it...the malt was also very thin.

4.67/5  rDev +16.5%

A pint draft pour.

Clear golden with no noticeable carbonation or head. It has a noticeable aldehyde/hopped aroma. You get a definite hop punch in the first sip, but not so much so that it overwhelms the senses. Medium body with a bitter finish. Overall, a very drinkable beer. A nice balance between the hops and alcohol. Not over the top hoppy, but hopped enough to satisfy hop-heads such as myself.

4.17/5  rDev +4%

Pours a straw gold in color, very clear, a nice sized bright white head rests atop before slowly descending, lacing nicely in the process. Aroma is a nice mix of some citrus and a hint of sweetness from the malts. The strongest singular scent is of apricots which comes thru quite well in this bottle. Also some peaches, some tangelo, and grapefruit too, but like a nice sweet tree-ripened fruit. Taste follows with a good citrus hop up front, apricot comes thru in the taste as well, mid-taste. Some peppery flavor kicks in in the finish before a good sized drying and slightly puckery bitterness. Light to medium in body, the carbonation is light, and on the medium to soft side, feel wise. The pepperiness in the taste is present but light in the feel, and the bitterness pulls the moisture from the palate in the finish. Very good ipa, great aroma and nice bitterness, very drinkable. Thanks Dana for the opportunity.

3.78/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz Can poured into a Duvel Tulip. Thanks to azdback for the chance to try this one!

Appearance: Bright amber/orange with a nice initial 1" head and a lot of sticky lacing.

Smell: Citrus and piney hops front and center.

Taste: The citrus is grapefruit and that flavor is more forward than the pine resin with which it combines. Nicely built over a bready malt base.

Mouthfeel: Very clean on the finish, highly drinkable.

Overall: A solid IPA and one I'm very happy I had the chance to try.

3.59/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

A fine drink, but this is not an IPA at 47 IBU. You get a faint hint of hop aroma, but expect more with 4 hop varieties advertised. Taste is good, but it's pretty much a mellow pale ale. I wasn't expecting much out of the desert; higher ratings on this must be due to novice drinkers.

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

A- clear golden straw, freakin' huge fluffy off white head, lace on glass, and head retent is feels like an eternity(which is alright cause its such a pretty beer to look at)

S- strong fruity citrus aroma (orange maybe), grainy scent as well but fairly faint

T- bitter-sour-slight sweet grain flavor is awesome. sweet scent is much more than sweet taste. Sweetness is their faintly but is more easily noticed afterwords.

M- thinner than i remember, though im sure the fact that is comes from a growler has something to do with that. Really silky smooth though.

D- this is an amazing pale ale. Well made brew. Wish they bottled this stuff so i could get it all the time. Amazing stuff.

3.99/5  rDev -0.5%

Served in a 12 oz can at Old Town Tavern (Scottsdale, AZ). Pine resin, mint and some grapefruit with light malt undertones. Light to medium body with crisp carbonation. Crisp and refreshing with plenty of nice hop notes straight from the can.

4.6/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Hop Knot 4.5 across all categories

Light copper in color, nice clarity and lace.
Excellent floral hop aromas with appropriatte malt and caramel malt dash of sweet support. Tastes as it smells with some dark citrus fruit notes.
Very enjoyable IPA, best Four Peaks offering in my opinion. Reminds me of a cross between a lighter more flavorful SN Torpedo. I had this at the brewery and restuarant and it really grew on me. Nice work on this one Four Peaks.

FYI...8th st pale and hop knot are the best to style.

4.45/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On draft at the Tempe brewery
A- Clear golden hue, big thick white head, thick lacing on the glass
S- Moderate pine resin balanced with sweet grapefruit and bubblegum
T- Sweet citrus and grapefruit dominate initially, opens up to subtle pine and floral hops, finishes with a touch of sweet and bitter hops
M- Medium-bodied, watery texture, moderate carbonation
D- Deliciously sweet IPA, easy drinking and well-balanced, this is a very delicious beer that was one of my favorites while living in Phoenix

4.17/5  rDev +4%

Thanks to stubone for the trade. never tried an az beer before this one.

A: Poured a fairly yellow color with a small, white head measuring less than a finger. Dissipates quickly.

S: Damn! Heavy citrus hops, loaded in grapefruit aroma. Stuff smells like it would cure scurvy in a heartbeat. Aroma is a little one-dimensional but it's incredibly intense and rather mouth-watering.

T: Wow. Sweet and fruity and as said before, intensely hoppy. It's not brutally bitter though, which is nice. It doesn't dry out your mouth and allows that sweetness and citrus to come through more.

M: Maybe a little on the watery side but the hops dance on the palate wonderfully.

D: Could certainly drink plenty of this, even though it's nearly a grapefruit beer. It's very very tasty.

12oz can into a tulip

A- Pours a translucent amber color with a 1/2 fingers worth of tight white bubbles that quickly recede. Leaves some nice lacing.

S- A perfume-like bouquet sweet citrus and juicy tropical fruits. Orange juice and pineapple stick out to me. A small amount of malt dances with an even smaller amount of resiny bitterness. The way I like my IPAs to smell.

T- Surprise! First taste is a hit of bitter resinous hops followed by all the sweet juicy fruits I had on the nose. The fruitiness really hits hard and comes on strong until the end. At that point the two flavors of bitter and sweet waltz off into the sunset. This IPA is right up my alley.

M- Dare I say this is almost a light bodied brew. I think the carbonation plays a big part in the mouthfeel since it's so aggressive. Cleans everything up nicely though.

O- This is easily the tastiest and most refreshing IPA I've had so far. Skewed more towards the sweet side, but hey that's what pleases me. Almost touches Alpha King in my book (should be an IPA).

4.92/5  rDev +22.7%

Appearance - Clear, bronze color with an inch thich white head. Very nice lacing.

Smell - Huge floral, spicy, herbal, green, fresh hop aroma. Dominate Cascade and Fuggle hop profile shinning through. This is how I want an Pale Ale to smell. Borderline IPA. Fantastic, intoxicating aroma.

Taste - Nearly as perfect. Quite possible my favorite Pale Ale ever. Like the aroma, huge floral, green, spicy hop flavors with a solid malt base that balances the hops perfectly.

Mouthfeel - Crisp, clean finish. Lovely hop flavor with minimal residual bitterness. Fantastic.

Drinkability - Fab-u-lous! I wish this was local and I could have it when ever I wanted.

4.69/5  rDev +17%

Pours a golden honey color with a white head that dissipates pretty quick but remains an oily film across the top. Smells of HUGE hops, green, bitter, fresh, pine-y hops. I felt like i just laid down face first in a barrel of hop flowers. Taste is well, HOPS. It is loaded with pine-y, green hops that are oily and mouthcoating, but surprisingly not as bitter I as expected. It seems you can add a TON of hops without getting too much bitterness!

These are now being bottled, only available at the brewery for now, and at only 36.50 a case it is, by far, the best bottled beer made in arizona. I am happy this is FINALLY in the bottle. I plan on keeping a steady supply in my fridge. IMHO this can compete with the "big boys" around the country and at around 1.50 a bottle I suddenly dont feel the need to seek out other stuff from around the country.. this is my new "go to" IPA!

4.24/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Can poured into pint glass. Thanks to azdback for sending this as an extra.

A. Golden with very subtle orange hue. Virtually no head but a lot of small bubbles and substantial carbonation. Very clear.

S. Pungent Citrus and Pine hop aroma balanced by Mango Tangerine and orange coming through.

T. Well balanced, hop forward, but clean without a bitter mouthfeel lingering. Balance is excellent between the hops and malt.

M. Crisp and smooth, carbonation a little too bubbly but it helps bring the hops through from start to finish.

O. Very Good IPA, reminds me of a blend of Abrasive and Furious. Wish this was available locally.

3.05/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3

A solid IPA but it's a little on the watery side to me, there's not as much flavor as most IPA's. It also looks and feels lighter as well and not much smell either.

4.33/5  rDev +8%

Received this one as an extra, I wish I took better notes so that I could thank whoever it was, but you're out there and Cheers to trading anyway!

Pours a very nice golden hue with a nice bubbly head that dissipates into a reasonably thick crown. Carbonation is very active in my Samuel Adams sensory glass.

Smell is actually very close to DIPA territory, pretty potent stuff. Hop sweetness is prevalent, mostly of the citrus and pine resin variety.

Taste, while more potent than most IPAs is still weak for my DIPA battered palate, but what is there is quite tasty and even refreshing for IPA standards. For specifics, see the smell, but this is sweeter and more drinkable than a lot of other IPAs that I find too puckeringly bitter.

Mouth is thin to medium in body and reasonably heavy on the carbonation. Works well here.

A very drinkable IPA and I'm pretty sad that I will probably not have the opportunity to try this one again, but glad I had this one chance. Very good stuff.

3.98/5  rDev -0.7%

Had this from the cask at Four Peaks in Tempe...poured into an Imperial pint glass.

Appearance is light copper color, about a 1/2 finger head, cascading down the glass. Smells like an IPA should...hoppy, citrusy, a little piney...the cask conditioning gives it a bit sweeter smell, and a bit more murky appearance.

This tastes great. I had a taste of the regular Hop Knot, and it was good. But, cask-conditioning makes this beer stand out. it's just cool enough to be refreshing, and a lot of the beer's flavors come through very well. There are some bittersweet notes here...and the malts seem to be very well balanced with the hops. They boast that this is brewed with four different hops at four different times throughout the brewing process...not too out of the ordinary...and this has turned into quite a delicious beer our here in the desert.

Overall, I could drink this all night. I really like what the cask conditioning gives to this beer...and if I could, I would take a growler back on the plane with me!

4.21/5  rDev +5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A - 4 - Great looking beer with thick white head that leaves huge lacing. Golden-amber color like most ipas, crystal clear.
S - 4.25 - Huge grapefruit and citrus zest. Pineapple, smells super fresh.
T - 4.25 - Great grapefruit, citrus zest, mango and pineapple. Tastes a little like a great homebrewed IPA. Very sweet caramel malt background.
M - 4 - light-medium mouthfeel, aftertaste is sweet malt with grapefruit/pineapple/mango flavors. VERY fresh. alc covered well.
O - 4.25 - Great beer. Proud to say it's from Arizona.

4.69/5  rDev +17%

I just bought my first case of the newly-bottled stuff, and I wasn't planning on reviewing it again, but this is worthy. It's even better out of the bottle than the on-tap serving I had in Tempe last month. The color is a deep, rich yellow, quarter inch of white head. Smells intensely of piney hops. One of the greatest aromas I've ever experienced from a beer. Tastes of citrus, with some grapefruit and maybe a bit of orange in there, but not the overwhelming bitterness you get sometimes. Carbonation is right on the money. One of the most drinakble IPA's I've had. I had Pliney the Elder on tap in San Diego this past summer, and for my money, this is actually a tad better when it's this fresh. Nice job, Four Peaks!

3.16/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

This was poured into a ping glass.
The appearance was a light hazy burnt orange to amber color with a one finger white foamy head that dissipated at a nice pace.
The smell had some malt sweetness, sweet floral hops and a light citrusy hops.
The taste replicated the aroma nicely leading into a light semi-sweet to bitter aftertaste, not bad.
The mouthfeel was about a light to medium on the body with a decent sessionability about it. Carbonation runs light and almost creamy.
Overall, a decent IPA, almost to the English style but I can see the American aspects of this one so...yeah, decent beer.

3.8/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

On-tap in a Weizen glass, for whatever reason.

A: Golden yellow with a clear one and a half finger head.

S: Oh man. You get a great burst of citrus on the nose, which lead me to believe I'd be in for a more fruity IPA.

T: Absolutely nothing like the nose at all. At first it started out as a complete hop bomb, and with a name like Hop Knot, I should have assumed as much. Much hoppier than the nose led me to believe it would be. Interestingly enough, the hop profile started to get taken over by a strong malt backbone as I finished it off. So it was strange, to me, that it went from being a complete hop bomb to a slightly malty taste. I don't want to say it was a bitter malt taste, because that doesn't really make sense. But when the malts took over you could kind of get a sense that the hops were trying to push their way through. Very interesting!

M: Great mouthfeel. Nice and smooth. A thin coating of the mouth. Enough to let the flavor linger, but not enough to glue your mouth shut.

O: Overall, I found this beer to be very interesting. Very citrus heavy on the nose to nothing but hops for the first half of the beer, to this internal malt vs hop struggle at the end. Would recommend, though I'm not sure how often I would drink this.

4.07/5  rDev +1.5%

a: pours a nice deep golden color.. solid finger worth of head.. some bubbles streaming up..

s: right away i got hit with that signature cat-piss simcoe aroma.. fresh green grass hop as well.. also some overall fruitiness with an almost cake-like aroma..

t: upfront is that green leafy/wet hoppiness..then you get hit with some mild citrus & some fruitiness.. some caramel malt also pulls through.. finish is semi-bitter with mild citrus rind bitterness..

mf: light-medium body with an almost crisp feel.

o: solid ipa for arizona.. not sure on the freshness.. cant wait for this to be start rolling out in cans!!

Hop Knot from Four Peaks Brewing Company - 8th Street Brewery