Pyramid Hefeweizen | Walnut Creek Alehouse (Pyramid)

Pyramid HefeweizenPyramid Hefeweizen
Liked This Beer
3.26 w/ 293 ratings
Pyramid HefeweizenPyramid Hefeweizen

Walnut Creek Alehouse (Pyramid)
pyramidbrew.com

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-01-2005

Liked:
3.26/5
Alströms:

3.15/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured a cloudy yellow, not inviting, with fizzy and quick dying head on top of a very mild, almost sour like acidic citric and lemon-zest aroma with a touch of peppery spices. Watery and light-bodied for a hefe, this is not a bad beer but rather a shoddy representation of the style. Has a thin, light body that contains minor amounts of citric/lemon and spices with almost no wheat twang whatsoever; finishes crisp with a sour sharpness. Not bad, but won't have again.

2.83/5  rDev -13.2%

I seem to buy a bomber of this every couple of months, only because it is 2 bucks, and this is a session beer to me

Its a ok hef in terms of the affordability thats it. Like any hef, you want fresh, I have bought a few older bottles and its not that good. But if you get a fresh one, it has the classic slight slight banana, wheat, lemon that you get with most american hefs. But at the same time it doesnt have any wow factor to it.

3.76/5  rDev +15.3%

A - dark orange, with a dark white head. Laces nicely. Very cloudy beer from the leftover yeast in it.

S - sweet, but not overly. The beer smells smells of fresh picked wheat, like a bread out of the oven. Slight citrus notes hint at the end.

T - a little malt at first, then the citrus takes over. The yeast is noticable in the finish.

M - it's overly carved IMO. But, it bubbles nicely while you drink it. Aftertaste is malty, and good.

D - this is an approachable hefe. I'm my the biggest wheat beer fan, but I'll drink this from time to time.

4.34/5  rDev +33.1%

A little surprised at the mediocre rating this one has received over-all. It's taste is very good and it's extremely drinkable especially on hot summer days when one is looking for a refreshing brew. It's for that time I rate the mouthfeel, since what is quality in that area for myself is seasonal to some degree.

4.33/5  rDev +32.8%

I feel that this is a spectacular rendition of the True American Hefeweisen. It has a fantastic nose, great drinkability, and very consistent quality. This is surprising to me, as the creativity and quality of the rest of Pyramid's line-up is quite poor in my opinion.

2.78/5  rDev -14.7%

I don't really like this stuff.
Got it on sale for 7 bucks, and I was aiming for cheap this evening.
Appearance: Not too bad. Foam leaves a little to be desired. It's light, small, was never really present.
Aroma: Too yeasty, not interesting or even par with style.
Taste: Not full bodied enough, a little too citrusy for my taste. It's like watered down orange juice, honestly.
Moutfeel: Kinda metallic feel going on. Not for me
Drinkability: Not good. It's not tasty enough for my tastes.

Overall, cmon Pyramid, get on the ball!

I'm opening a homebrew.

3.8/5  rDev +16.6%

Pour and Smell; poured yellow and orange with an inch high head soon to be ruined by the lemon wedge, but that's my fualt, i like the wedge.
Taste and Mouthfeel; before I knew that there were a bunch of other heffe's out there this was the bomb, but little by little I lost that feeling. It taste great, kind of watery, and clean, but tasty. Mouthfeel is light allowing you to drink many more.
Drinkability; this is a good beer, highly recommended, they are even local so I have to support them, but, there are some better heffe's out there. The good thing is these guys have good distribution throughout the US so when you hit a Von's in LA in the hood, when mostly all you can find is Tecate and Modelo, you can get this, and have a solid beer.

3.41/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a cloudy brown color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very mild, some hints of citrus. Taste is a good balance of grains, citrus, and spices. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall this is a quality beer.

3.49/5  rDev +7.1%

this beer poured a hazy caramel with minimal head and minimal lacing. I should note that it was poured from a hand pump at my buddy's wedding, so lack of head may be due to the pour itself.

smelled good enough. It was sweet and estery with a little bready yeast to it. I enjoy a bit of a bread nose in a hef.

taste was as to be expected with this beer. I've had it plenty before, so it didn't surprise me that it was a decent representation of the style, though a bit metallic in finish.

mouth was light though a bit astringent. I would have liked it to be a bit more creamy... but it is what it is. To be honest though, it was hot as hell at the outdoor reception so this really hit the spot. while it wasn't the right brand, the style was spot on for an afternoon in hellish weather.

3.41/5  rDev +4.6%

A: two fingers of bubbly and frothy off-white head over heavily unfiltered dark golden. Some retention and no lacing.
S: refreshing wheat, grains, and a spot of metallic. Lemony citrus in there, too.
T/M: wheat, subtle clove and spices. I'm a bit turned off by the aroma, but the taste isn't tainted with the metallic from the aroma. Mouth is light and almost watery but residuals stick around like I've just sucked down wheat syrup. Medium to high carbonation.
D: this is a basic pale wheat ale. I can't say I'd choose to reach for this one again.

2.88/5  rDev -11.7%

Pours a orange hazy color. There is a nice one and a half finger head to it that gives way to some nice lacing. The aroma is of yeast and with a hint of banana and some lemon to it. The taste is of wheat and yeast with a small not of lemon and clove to it. The mouthfeel is very good, it has the right amount of carbonation and is kinda dry. The overall drinkiability of this beer is average, this is a average beer, it has some very good characteristics but it also has some very average ones as well.

3.75/5  rDev +15%

12 Oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Poured half bottle, swirled and finished the pour. Nice orange like yellow on first half of the pour but murky orange on the remaining pour... Perfect unfiltered hefe... Small head, maybe 1 finger white and fluffy... nice lacing.

S: Yeasty bread, a little lemon peel and a hint of ripe banana. I'm also catching a hint of pepper and some other spices, maybe clove.

T: Sweet yeasty very bready. Everything is very hefe like... I'm getting the slight lemon, banana and clove elements but this hefe is a little most yeast than most hefes I've had... but I like it !!!

M: Light but Med bodied, with perfect carbonation... the extra yeastiness makes this a little more heavy than most hefes.

D: Very nice Hefe... not overly lemon and twangy...more body and yeasty like. Different but in a good way.

I might have to add this one to my summer list

3.41/5  rDev +4.6%

A - Finger thick, fizzy head settling to a very light film. Very hazy yellow with a small amount of sediment at the bottom. Not leaving very much lacing.

S - Light in the nose with a sweet, bready malt. Not much hop presence.

T&M - Light and dry. A sweet maltiness is dominant with a slight bitterness of the hops at the end, but stays pretty low under the radar. Good flavor on the front end but a little empty and lacking on the finish. Crisp, light to medium body and fairly fizzy.

D - Goes down easy and it's refreshing.

A pretty ordinary beer, but it's still a decent take on this Belgian style brew.

3.1/5  rDev -4.9%

Had this on tap down in California while on vacation.

Arrived as a hazy yellow color, true to the claims of an unfiltered beer. About one finger of head, which stayed around for a bit. Not a whole lot of lacing going on though.

Smell and taste are both slightly wheaty, with maybe a hint of sweetness. Nothing really jumped out at me to impress me and make it a good ale.

It does go down smooth though and isn't bad, so if you can't get anything better, you can certainly do a lot worse.

3.05/5  rDev -6.4%

Appearance - Cloudy, light golden in color, decent head and stays awhile.

Smell - Aroma of wheat, malts, and honey.

Taste - Lightly bitter hops with hints of sweet malt.

Mouthfeel - Carbonated and smooth.

D - Slightly refreshing but I probably won't add it to the regular rotation.

3.38/5  rDev +3.7%

A- Murky golden without any floaties. Very attractive look.

S-Faint sweet banana, refreshing

T- Not much of one. A very light Hefe flavor, but really not much of one.

M- Too light and carbonated, very dry.

D- Overall it is a very drinkable beer, but there are so many hefes that I would pick over the Pyramid.

3.03/5  rDev -7.1%

On-tap on a recent trip to Tucson, served in a pint glass

Pours a dull, golden color with a good amount of haze. Very thin head rose a tiny bit and left a light film along the edges.

Very basic hefe aroma. Biscuity yeast and some sweet malt. Very pedestrian.

Flavor is similar to the aroma with only a slight spice and a touch of bitterness. Doughy, undercooked biscuits with a light toasted malt sweetness.

A medium body with an average amount of carbonation. Rather creamy and enjoyable mouthfeel.

No real off-flavors, a lighter body and low abv make this a pretty easy drinker. Mainly because it is devoid of any robust flavors.

4.08/5  rDev +25.2%

A- A great cloudy hay/orange color poured with a nice head and good retention. Lacing was great throughout the tasting

S- Smelled like cloves and some hint of lemon. Very nice and inviting on the warm spring day I enjoyed it on.

T-tasted great, a lot better than I remember as I haven't had one in a while. sweet and balanced by the yeasty citrus and clove flavors as well as a tiny bit of hops.

M- a light to medium bodied and goes down easy. Pretty typical for a Hef.

D- this beer is a new summer favorite as I never remember it tasting this good, living in seattle now close to one of their breweries definitely lets me wonder how old some of Pyramid Hefs I have had from them in the past.

I am kind curious why so many people gave it such mediocre reviews, maybe it is much better on draft then bottle? or needs to be drank super fresh?

2.71/5  rDev -16.9%

just a very average hefeweizen. Nothing really special or worth writing home about. If this beer was slightly sweeter I think that would help it out a lot. I do like that the abv is 5.20, hefeweizen are usually seem to be around 4. Unless this beer is a very good deal, I'd say go with something else.

2.66/5  rDev -18.4%

Poured from a bottle into a weizen glass. Golden and cloudy like a hefe should be, but goes down hill after that. The banana and cloves that usually go with a hefe are not here in the taste. Has a sweet taste but just rather bland. I would pass on this one if you are looking for a good hefeweizen.

2.8/5  rDev -14.1%

12 oz bottle into a pint

A - Pours a medium to light golden color. Head formation is very light, only retaining a very light film. Very hazy - lots of proteins and yeast.

S - Surprisingly empty smell - there is essentially nothing there. I can find only the lightest hint of a sweet malt.

T - Starts off early with a biting wheat astringency. Mid-stream develops some bitterness - but I'm not sure what it is balancing. Finishes with a an empty after taste that is only finally complimented by a oxidized edge.

M - The carbonation sting is by far the most noticeable attribute here. The body is moderate - certainly not thin but not syrup either.

D - A fairly easy drinking beer. ABV and the non-offensive taste make it fit right in.

3.15/5  rDev -3.4%

22 oz. bomber.

Opaque golden hue, typical of a hef. Decent head on the pour, retention is a little lacking.

Smells a little sour, but warm at the same time. Aroma of nutmeg/citrus combo.

Well, it tastes like a hefeweizen. Bready taste that is light, and crisp, not too much beyond that.

Solid carbonation, I'm happy that with it being a wheat beer, they didn't go overboard like some of the other american wheat ales.

Perfect for a little refreshment and change of pace in comparison to a typical lager, but nothing that really wow's you.

3.3/5  rDev +1.2%

Out here on the West Coast, I have to admit we struggle out here with wheat beer compared to our European brothers. We hate to admit it, but it's true. So today, I'm here to tell you about a decent effort from Pyramid.

It has the requisite hazy yellow color, and a decent head on top. Not much in the aroma category, could barely detect a little yeasty note. Flavor is a little bready, with a fair amount of spicy, clove character, but very little if any, of the fruity, banana character one expects from the style. OK mouthfeel, and reasonably drinkable.

Can't say I'm big fan, but if I've worked up a sweat mowing the lawn, it'll work for me.

3.32/5  rDev +1.8%

12oz bottle with what looks like esoteric dating printed directly on the glass. Looks like a little bit of yeast at the bottom of the bottle, but not much.

Pours a hazy copper color. Not quite cloudy, just a touch of haze. The head is white and fizzy. It was prominent after a vigorous pour, but faded quickly leaving just a thin collar.

Banana and clove dominate the aroma, but are not particularly strong themselves. Just a touch of hop aroma there as well.

Hop bitterness is quite evident in the flavor. There is just a little bready yeast flavor with some bananas as well. A little bit of alcohol flavor follows, even though this beer is not particularly strong abv-wise.

Carbonation is fairly light and unsatisfying.

This beer is very drinkable. It does not need a lemon like some beers I have tried. The flavor is not the best around and is a little weaker than I would like, but these slide back easily.

3.3/5  rDev +1.2%

Served from bottle, drank from pint glass.

A - Hazy pale orange. Slight head disappears quickly after pouring with minimal lacing.

S - Slight banana notes....but a generally awkward smelling beer. Not impressed.

T - Tastes much better than it smells, thankfully. Pleasant banana/nutty taste with good lingering aftertaste.

M - A bit flat for a Hefe - doesn't seem to match the style.

D - Very drinkable, though I would chose another Hefe over this one.

Overall this beer is mediocre for the style. Ok to try, but I will not get it again if another Hefe is available.

Pyramid Hefeweizen from Walnut Creek Alehouse (Pyramid)
Beer rating: 22.2% out of 100 with 293 ratings