Hop Sutra | Peace Tree Brewing Co.

Hop SutraHop Sutra

4.2

4.97/5  rDev +25.2%

4.75/5  rDev +19.6%

4.75/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L: Pours brilliant copper-amber crowned by a clingy 2” white to off-white foam cap S: Big grassy nose along with an array of additional hop notes – pine and citrus under the grass with some spice and biscuit.T: Very rich hop flavors. Some initial sweetness but dries out on the finish. A suspicion of mint in the finish (most likely from the hops), also pepper. There is an assertive hop bitterness but it is well balanced with all the hop flavors – the grass, the mint, citris, pine, over the malts and yeast fruit – very well done. F: Very creamy, medium to medium low carbonation, medium body, alcohol warming in the finish O: Very good handling of the hops and a very interesting result.

4.7/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I have a had a few other offerings by peace tree that have left me less than impressed, in fact I decided that this would be the last chance for them before I bought this but I'm glad that I did! This is an excellent example of a double ipa!! wow! the appearance is solid, a little thin in the head, the smell and taste are my favorite qualities of this beer. Strong aromas of heavily heavenly hopped-ness, it's a different and distinct hop aroma though, not really citrusy or tropical but not earthy and dank either, almost sweet... The flavor in this beer hits the aromas spot on, I think the malts help cut the hops but not too much at all. and it has this really unique aftertaste that isn't harshly bitter or hanging heavy brutal aftertaste, spot on hop awesomeness! I will definitely be buying another 4 pack of this!!

4.66/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

golden amber in color with a nice head of white that was about two inches at first but then slowly settled down into a rich lacing that coated the sides of the glass. Such a sweet, sharp citrus aroma coming off of this one, simply amazing. Like pineapple and grapefruit juice mixed in a glass and hit with a shot of orange, it was simply amazing. First sip sucked the moisture from my palate. Lip smacking good. Sharp, biting citrus flavor, pineapple and grapefruit rule the day here as the richness and juiceness is simply overwhelming. Each sip seemed to get sharper, crisper then the one before. I was in heaven.

4.48/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured from a little grenade style bottle into a brandy snifter. Pours a little hazy orange with a thick resinous head. Smells like a citrusy grapefruit bomb went off in my nostrils. The nose is evident as soon as you open the bottle. Taste is a good balance between a light belgiany yeast, bready characteristics, and a karate chop of hops flavors. Bitterness is there, but the complexities of the belgian yeast and the copious amounts of hops makes this fun to sip and savor. This is damn good and I really hope they make this a year round offering. Right now only available in singel 12oz red stripe style bottles. I could drink a couple in a setting but at 9% it'll getcha. I would say this is the best beer currently being brewed in the state.

4.47/5  rDev +12.6%

The bottle was poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance- The head is two fingers with layer upon layer of tiny bubbles stacking up. There is a really nice sheet of lace. This is an extremely dark body for a DIPA, amber colored with golden highlights.

Smell- The hop aromas are great. There is a lot of citrus, passion fruit and orange. Floral hops and some banana from the distinctive Peace Tree yeast. It makes the nose amazingly sweet.

Taste- The bittering hops are really well done in this beer. A truck load of hops bash the palate into submission. The hop flavors are, again, mainly citrus with that same passion fruit mustiness and a little grape fruit.

There are some ester notes, banana, and clove as well. This is one Peace Tree brew where I really think the Belgian yeast is improving the characteristics of the beer.

Mouth feel- The medium body is spot on and the carbonation makes the drink smooth. It is not perfect, but really close.

Overall- This DIPA is really well done, and Peace Tree's distinct yeast twist only makes this beer that much better.

4.47/5  rDev +12.6%

Radiant apricot that turned to dark apricot when the yeast entered the glass at the tail end of the pour. Murky beer looks best. Three fingers of ginger colored cream look fine and dandy, while thick sheets of finely stippled lace might mean generous hop resins. Here's hoping.

If the outstanding nose is any indication, Peace Tree have done themselves proud with this hoptastic Double IPA. Too bad more brewers don't use this blueprint (1.5x malt and 2.5x hops) rather than doubling the ingredients in their IPAs. Huge amounts of tropical fruit greet each sniff. Like Hop Wrangler IPA, however, the Belgian yeast esters aren't that noticeable.

Simply put, Double IPA is the best Iowa-brewed beer (in a bottle) to have ever entered my glass. This stuff is right in my hoppy beer wheelhouse and is leaps and bounds better than its (still pretty good) little brother. Again, increasing the hops more than the malt is the key for this style.

The malt bottom end has a hint of toasted breadiness that is easily exceeded by a metric ton of American hops. Simcoe must be in there, along with several of my other favorites. The clove and white pepper spiciness of the Belgian yeast adds another flavor facet that isn't quite strong enough for a change to Belgian DIPA to be considered.

Thankfully, they got the mouthfeel right as well. This isn't the biggest, chewiest DIPA on planet Earth, but it's big enough. Besides, slightly less size and perfect carbonation is a boon to drinkability. As is spot-on alcohol masking.

Peace Tree Double IPA is the single biggest surprise of the second half of 2010. The fact that this stuff is brewed a stone's throw from my house is mind-boggling. It would be all kinds of awesome if this 'Brewers Special Release Series' seasonal became a year-round beer. Highly recommended.

4.43/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Glass Used: Nonic pint

Appearance: This DIPA poured a viscous, cloudy maple syrup color with a rich looking off-white head which was two and a half fingers thick. Nice look.

Smell: Resinous with loads of citrus and mango along with yeast, dank and banana. This is a great smelling DIPA. A little bit of booze singes the nose at the end but not enough to make this un-enjoyable.

Taste: The hops explode the moment you take a sip. The citrus and tropical fruits carryover very, very well along with the yeasty characteristics. Damn good.

Mouthfeel: Thick, sticky, coating; Well carbonated with a medium mouthfeel.

Overall: This DIPA packs in all the flavors I enjoy in this style. I would not hesitate to grab this if I had the opportunity.. A+

4.42/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured form 12oz stubby bottle into Tulip.

A. 2 finger head. Pretty thick lacing left. Good retention. Color is dark orange almost light brown.

S. Smell is very hoppy. Piney resiny hops. A little bit of citrus but mostly piney hops. Some caramel malt lying beneath. Very floral smell to it. Just a bit of a hint of the belgian yeast is detectable beneath all the hops, that gives it a uniqueness factor not found in other DIPAs.

T. Taste is very smooth for a DIPA. The bitterness is there with more piney hops. The belgian yeast definitely takes some of the bite out of the hops and makes this incredibly smooth and easy to drink. Not a lot of sweetness from the malt, but enough to provide a counterpoint. This is a well balanced DIPA. The 9% ABV is almost not apparent.

M. Medium/low bodied. Nice mouthfeel. Some lingering bitterness from the hops. Medium carbonation.

D. I will admit that I was surprised with this beer. Peace Tree's regular IPA is good, but not earth shattering. Their DIPA is damn good. It is a little bit different than some of my favorite DIPAs. It has a really heavy piney hop aspect to it. The Belgian yeast hads a level of complexity and smoothness that makes this very easy to drink. This kind of reminds me of a amped up version of Modus Hoperandi.

4.42/5  rDev +11.3%

A big old double IPA from our friends Peacetree Brewing to the east in Knoxville, Iowa. Comes in a four pack.

Pours a really hazy copper color. There's no way you're seeing through this beer. Nice mottled head.

Some overripe mango and bran muffin on the nose.

That tastes good. Long and hoppy on the finish but pleasantly malty in the mid. Easy drinking for a double IPA. Hops are earthy and not overwhelming. One of the top few double IPAs I've tried.

4.38/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I walked into a beer release by accident today. John's was hosting the release of Peace Tree Brewing Double IPA. I liked their regular IPA so I bought this with great anticipation

This beer poured into my oversized wine glass. A nice medium head and dark rusty body.

The nose is alcohol, pine, skunk, floral and citrus.

Taste. Oh what taste!! This is theone of the best DIPA I have ever had. It is absolutely complex and fresh and warm and great. I will have to have a few of these before I can decipher all the flavor notes. The initial taste is very smooth and creamy with grapefruit and hops. I don't mean a little hops, I mean lots of hops, but a good hops. The brewmaster was there and he said there are four kinds of hops and Belgian yeast in this. I don't remember the kinds. It doesn't matter to me. There is also a blend of great malt character and then a very citrus rind finish. Once again, I must say this beer has some of the most overwhelming hop taste I have had, but yet that is the great appeal to it.

This beer leaves your mouth feeling so good I should give it a 6. I have never said that before. It is not over carbonated and is a little sweet. It is just a very satisfying event to drink this. Usually mouth feel is never quite right with beer, but I think this beer found the nirvana.

This beer is quite drinkable since it is so easy on the mouth and the flavor just keeps bursting forth before, after, since and while you drink it. I have not had Pliny, but I feel this is what they are talking about. This is my beer heaven. Right now, I am saying this is the best DIPA I have ever had. And I have had a few in my years.

NOTE: I don't think the second batch is the same. More of an incline to grassy, pine type flavor profile. Mouth feel is different too. Still a worthy example.

Hop Sutra from Peace Tree Brewing Co.