Hop Sutra | Peace Tree Brewing Co.

Hop SutraHop Sutra

Peace Tree Brewing Co.
Iowa, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by daledeee on 07-24-2010

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 54 | Ratings: 162
4.42/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured form 12oz stubby bottle into Tulip.

A. 2 finger head. Pretty thick lacing left. Good retention. Color is dark orange almost light brown.

S. Smell is very hoppy. Piney resiny hops. A little bit of citrus but mostly piney hops. Some caramel malt lying beneath. Very floral smell to it. Just a bit of a hint of the belgian yeast is detectable beneath all the hops, that gives it a uniqueness factor not found in other DIPAs.

T. Taste is very smooth for a DIPA. The bitterness is there with more piney hops. The belgian yeast definitely takes some of the bite out of the hops and makes this incredibly smooth and easy to drink. Not a lot of sweetness from the malt, but enough to provide a counterpoint. This is a well balanced DIPA. The 9% ABV is almost not apparent.

M. Medium/low bodied. Nice mouthfeel. Some lingering bitterness from the hops. Medium carbonation.

D. I will admit that I was surprised with this beer. Peace Tree's regular IPA is good, but not earth shattering. Their DIPA is damn good. It is a little bit different than some of my favorite DIPAs. It has a really heavy piney hop aspect to it. The Belgian yeast hads a level of complexity and smoothness that makes this very easy to drink. This kind of reminds me of a amped up version of Modus Hoperandi.

4.12/5  rDev +3.5%

Got this recommended on a trip to IA. 12oz bottle from June 2010...

A: Orange hue blended with some light brown highlights. Small white head that quickly fades to a lace atop the brew. Good.

S: Smells of a wonderful blend of orange citrus and grapefruit. Earthy hops with some hints of malty sugars on the backend. Very good.

T: Super dry earthy hops upfront. Some grapefruit on the front mixed with some citrus in the middle and dry grassiness on the backend. Hop monster! Good.

M: Leaves your mouth dry and tasting of grapefruit and earthy hops. Good.

D: Goes down easy once you get past the hop wall. Good.

All in all, I'm glad I got to try this brew. It is a very solid brew from a tiny brewery. I might have to pick up some more of this to take back with me before I leave. Definitely try this if you like super dry hoppy brews. If you don't like the hops, then don't worry about this one.

4.09/5  rDev +2.8%

12 oz into a pint

A - Whoa hazy batman - lots of yeast suspended. Obviously this has a strong belgian yeast suspension. Strong head, well retained, off white in color.

S - Intense. Lots of grassy, piney, very strong hoppy notes. With all the hop bomb, some belgian yeast spice, white pepper, comes through nice and clean.

T - Tongue grabbing hopping right out of the shoot. Almost wet hop like. Chewy, earthy, grapefruit - hops to the extreme. Reminds me of a fresh furious. Mid-stream does pull in some yeast spicy, dry notes. Sticks to the tongue big time. Some alcohol warmth. Finishes clean, almost more orange and grapefruit than the more harsh initial hop assault.

M - Moderate body - full and creamy. Carbonation is present, supportive, but not overwhelming. Can be a little bit oily on the tongue.

D - Moderate to low drinkability. I love hop wrangler, and this is more of the same just dialed up a bunch of notches. However, the in your face hopping does become a bit weary. If you are in the mood to get whacked over the head with hops, here is your beer.

This beer deserves two shout outs - first to Joe @ Peacetree for brewing it, great job - you have outdone yourself. Second, to the state of IA legislature. This is finally the realization of changing our archaic beer laws and allowing our native breweries to be more creative.

4.38/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I walked into a beer release by accident today. John's was hosting the release of Peace Tree Brewing Double IPA. I liked their regular IPA so I bought this with great anticipation

This beer poured into my oversized wine glass. A nice medium head and dark rusty body.

The nose is alcohol, pine, skunk, floral and citrus.

Taste. Oh what taste!! This is theone of the best DIPA I have ever had. It is absolutely complex and fresh and warm and great. I will have to have a few of these before I can decipher all the flavor notes. The initial taste is very smooth and creamy with grapefruit and hops. I don't mean a little hops, I mean lots of hops, but a good hops. The brewmaster was there and he said there are four kinds of hops and Belgian yeast in this. I don't remember the kinds. It doesn't matter to me. There is also a blend of great malt character and then a very citrus rind finish. Once again, I must say this beer has some of the most overwhelming hop taste I have had, but yet that is the great appeal to it.

This beer leaves your mouth feeling so good I should give it a 6. I have never said that before. It is not over carbonated and is a little sweet. It is just a very satisfying event to drink this. Usually mouth feel is never quite right with beer, but I think this beer found the nirvana.

This beer is quite drinkable since it is so easy on the mouth and the flavor just keeps bursting forth before, after, since and while you drink it. I have not had Pliny, but I feel this is what they are talking about. This is my beer heaven. Right now, I am saying this is the best DIPA I have ever had. And I have had a few in my years.

NOTE: I don't think the second batch is the same. More of an incline to grassy, pine type flavor profile. Mouth feel is different too. Still a worthy example.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Hop Sutra from Peace Tree Brewing Co.