Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

24th Street Pale Ale | Strand Brewing Co.

24th Street Pale Ale24th Street Pale Ale
3.78/5
Very Good
24th Street Pale Ale24th Street Pale Ale

Strand Brewing Co.
strandbrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by vacax on 01-23-2010

Reviews by LBBeer:
3.81/5  rDev +0.8%

On tap at The Factory Gastrobar in Long Beach, CA.

I have had this beer more than a dozen different times in the year that Strand Brewing has been with us, and its current form is excellent.

A-A very rich copper color with a 1" amber hued froth. I really like the look of this brew.

S-I get a hint of caramel right away before its overtaken by floral hops.

T-On one hand I want to brag on the big hop flavors that build as you work your way through a pint, but I would really prefer a pale ale to maintain some malt character throughout.

M-To me its a little thin to carry around this level of hops.

D-As previously mentioned this builds on the pallet, even more than some IPA and DIPAs, but in a pinch its sessionable.

4.97/5  rDev +31.5%

I will be the first to admit that my rating is style specific. I almost never have a basic pale that is truly impressive. Is this the best beer I have ever had, no.... Is this the best Pale Ale...? pretty much.

I have always been between Dales Pale and Drakes 1500 as my two favorite pales. Strands 24th street pale combines the body of 1500 with the hop character of fresh dales. the result is amazing. Full bodied, thick, sessionable and with a hop punch specific to california. All in all, I would call this the best pale I have had. Are 1500, dales or daisy cutter far off? no. but what a league for this small little brewery to already be playing (and winning) in.

3.66/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

500 ml bottle from De Bierkoning. Pours a semi-opaque dark amber, with a tall, fine beige head with good retention. Smells like caramel, pine and citrus hops. The taste is bitter and refreshing, very soft mouthfeel and medium carbonation, with taste nots of caramel, pine, pineapple, sweet citrus and papaya. An excellent pale ale.

4.38/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.39/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

4.05/5  rDev +7.1%

Hazy reddish-copper in color with an off-white head that is fluffy and full. Retention is medium.

Citrus, pine needles, resin. Sweet melon, mandarin orange zest and light baking spice.

Mildly fruity with resin, fresh pine needles and citrus notes. Bright, high-toned hops are on full display.

Medium bodied mouthfeel that is carried through the palate by an intense hop bitterness. Everything finishes clean and dry with a moderate length to the beer.

I know its a West Coast APA, but the hops are just a little too much. Would like to see them toned down just a touch against the rest of the beer, allowing it to be a larger part of the story.

4.22/5  rDev +11.6%

Had this on tap at the Village Idiot in LA, since I had never heard of this before, I passed on getting a Pliny. . . I wasn't disappointed, glad to tick this.

Standard pale ale copper appearance with good clarity. Aroma, flowery hops, this is definitely some fresh stuff, straightforward.

More hops, not over the top ipa masquerading as a pale, just the right amount, paired nicely with our bacon like appetizer and the beef and potato pie. Just a slight amount of caramel feel to it, kept it from getting too malty, nice. A very good pale ale, right up there against all the elite top tier stuff (SNPA, Half Acre, Lagunitas).

3.9/5  rDev +3.2%

2.75/5  rDev -27.2%

4.09/5  rDev +8.2%

24th Street pours a murky, reddish brown with a one fingered, white head that lingers and leaves behind a thick film. I get strong hops on the nose.

It tastes first of citrus -- I'm tasting grapefruit, just like back home in Florida -- and then mellow west coast hops that linger on the tongue. It's not overwhelmingly bitter, just nicely so. The beer is relatively low in carbonation, and easy to drink. I'll take another, please.

4.25/5  rDev +12.4%

3.56/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

24th Street Pale Ale from Strand Brewing Co.