Red Zone | Prism Brewing Company

Prism Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States | website

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

Availability: Fall

Formerly known as "Red October".

Added by Deuane on 01-11-2010

3.6

Reviews: 15 | Ratings: 80
Reviews by TheFightfan1:

3.48/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

12oz brown bottle with no freshness date.

Dark hazed rusty amber, two fingers of froth. Aromas of yeast, spice, toasted grain, syrup, overripe fruit, & taffy. Baked apples, spice, grainy, honey, bread crust, yeasty, kiss of alcohol, quince paste, custard, maples taffy, finishes a little dry.

Flavorful with many of the elements I look for in a spiced winter warmer, not as clean on the palate as anticipated. I guess the Irish Red Ale character is there but the spice and syrup take it far away from the style.

4.25/5  rDev +18.1%

If someone told me this was a pumpkin ale I would have believed them. Aroma of yams with caramelized brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Taste is malt forward with intense brown sugar roasted squash and a sweet cinnamon finish. I hope Prism can produce more brews as good as this one.

3.81/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Brown to a bit amber in color with a fingernail of beige covering most of the top. There nose is crowded with cinnamon, allspice, ginger, nutmeg, and maple syrup. I taste a bold blend of spices and flavors in order that I picked them out: nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, maple syrup, and ginger. The mouth is lightly sticky and dry.

3.78/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Prism Brewing Co. "Red Zone"
on tap at the brewery, 9 April 2016

ESPN Red Zone! Football!!! I get it! Malty, caramelish, and spicy - how could you go wrong? Well, the "rim job" of spice and sugar ruined it for me, and perhaps I shouldn't even review it because of that, except that that's how the brewery serves it.

It's a dark amber-russet brown in color beneath a creamy head of khaki. The nose, well I don't really know, all I could smell was cinnamon and sugar from the "rim job". The flavor is nice, and I think they've got a very pleasant blend of grainy malt, yeasty fruitiness, and spices. It's reminiscent of apple pie, toasted bread with butter and honey, cinnamon toast, and chewy maple candy. It's nice, and it somehow finishes dry despite its malt sweetness. Medium bodied with a median carbonation - not too crisp given there's spice involved. Altogether a pretty decent pint.

2.5/5  rDev -30.6%

3.77/5  rDev +4.7%

From notes (2010 Capone's Black Friday event). I was quite impressed with this beer from newcomers Prism Beer Company, and it convinced me to go fill my growler with the stuff sooner than later. They really nailed an interesting, sessionable winter seasonal on the first try.

A: A swirling, reddish ale with a very inviting look in a pint glass.

S: Smells strongly of pumpkin spices (though oddly, in this quantity and/or mixture, one doesn't associate them with pumpkin pie flavors) and maple. Lovely.

T: This is where the beer really stands out. The spices are the first thing that hits you, but what I really find the headline to be is that this beer has more pure maple flavor than any I've ever had. That includes Immort Ale and several Canadian brews that purport to be heavy on maple ingredients (Equinoxe du Printemps is a good example of a great maple-tinged beer that this surpasses in terms of maple flavor). As a huge fan of maple flavored anything, I was thrilled with this. Totally tasted like November.

M: I jotted down a particular complaint in this department that I feel might be valid - I had sort of a dry feeling in terms of the mouthfeel due to the heavy spice character. Maybe the beer should be filtered better, but I don't know if it'd be worth the detriment to the flavor.

D: More sessionable than a lot of winter seasonals I've had from big, successful, established breweries.

I think that the name of the beer and the accessible style could make this one a big hit if Prism is willing to hang its hat on it and bottle it for six months out of the year. Calling it their "football seasonal" would just be the icing on their moneymaking cake. That this one was able to stand out against a stacked field of offerings at the Capone's Black Friday event is a testament to how good it already is - a bit of fine tuning might be needed, but it's already a really great first try. Friends of mine, once we finished drinking and relocated to the Capone's bottle shop, were asking me where they can find Red Zone, or beers like Red Zone, on the shelf. There is definitely a marketplace for this beer and I wish Prism well with it.

2.75/5  rDev -23.6%