ParTea Pale Ale | Prism Brewing Company

Prism Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States
prismbeer.com

Style: English Pale Ale

Looking for a Pale Ale with something more? Look no further.

Added by Slatetank on 06-13-2010

4.5/5  rDev +34.7%

Best Pale Ale I've ever had. Perfect blend of the taste of black tea and ale.

4.3/5  rDev +28.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Another single bottle score from The Friendly Greek, which is quickly becoming my go-to bottle shop, especially given their proximity to my work/school. Good on ya, mates! Thanks for being willing to put great beer in that end of town.

From the bottle: Someone else saved me the trouble of transcribing the information into the "Notes" for this beer, but I am going to do a cut-'n'-paste just to ensure that it does not get lost in the sands of time. "In making our signature pale ale we knew we wanted to do something different. We needed something that stood out, complimented the subtlety of our english pale ale, and said we will be a pale ale like no other – whole leaf tea was the perfect ingredient. We use whole leaf black tea to add a subtle tea flavor and aroma. A refreshing and dry mouth feel give this beer a smooth finish & a unique bitterness. An incredible amount of tea goes into this beer so much so our brewers have a tough time getting the whole leaf tea out when done (picture the tea party men tossing chests of tea overboard). We named it ParTea Pale Ale because the flavors seen to dance on your tongue and they party all night."

"Ale Brewed With Tea", eh? I hope that it is mellow as I have a pain in my neck from stress. Part of it is an S.I.W., courtesy of my mayoral campaign and part of it is the beginning of the school year, although I do not remember it taking hold this early in the past. I just want something mellow with which to ease into the evening. Man, what head from a moderately aggro pour! Two-plus fingers of dense, rocky, tawny head with excellent retention. It has been intermittently raining this evening and it has cut much of the oppressive humidity that dogged me on the walk home. The fact that the head has held up is testimony to its staying power. Loads of sticky lacing began to form as it fell. Nose reminded me of Orange Pekoe, very mellow and very tea-like. I may get my wish. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not so much creamy as bubbly and effervescent. The taste was Mandarin oranges, mint tea, Celestial Seasonings Peppermint and very mellow, man. The students would mark me as The Mad Hatter, but I'm not crazy, I swear! I just like to have a good time and shock people and make them laugh. Finish was still mellow, still tea-like and now I was feeling like a nap might be in order. It definitely did NOT make me feel like throwing chests of tea overboard or anywhere else. Like I said earlier, mellow, man.

4.15/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Picked up a six-pack from Whole Foods. Package says it is best before 3/27/13. Poured into a balloon glass.

ParTea pours a vibrant orange color that is topped with a peach colored crown of foam that settles down to a thin layer and leaves rings of lacing on the side of the glass. The beer looks raw and unfiltered, which is fine, but I prefer my APA's with a bit more clarity. The head could use more staying power in my opinion.

The aroma is wonderful. You can easily pick out the black tea, with a little bit of light citrus aroma. Notes of vanilla, honey, clementine, and obviously black tea, which comes across as somewhat earthy. The bottle says this is brewed with Orange Pekoe Tea. Despite the unique twist, this aroma doesn't seem very odd for a Pale Ale. In fact, I think this is a welcome departure from the typical American hopped APA.

The taste is quite similar to the aroma. There is a sweetness here that echoes the aroma with hints of honey malt and light vanilla. Mild citrus hop bite up front, with orange and lemony notes. The tea brings out a very mild astringency in the finish that leaves the impression of dryness, re-setting the palate and making me want another sip. Again, this is very unique, but not in a bad way. I cannot imagine a better integration of tea in a Pale Ale. Very well done!

The beer has a medium body, and a good level of carbonation that creates a very smooth texture. Slightly dry finish. Refreshing beer.

I am kind of surprised by how much I like this beer. I picked it up without many pre-conceived notions, I just liked the packaging. It takes the APA style and puts a unique twist that doesn't offend at all and in my mind take the style to a different place. I would love to see some "Tea Variations" here and see what other flavors they could conjure up. Glad I have 5 more bottles...

3.88/5  rDev +16.2%

Prism- Tea Party Pale Ale

A- Deep golden caramel orange brown with a frothy chunky white head. Good ringed lacing and bubbly carbonation.
S- Lemony tea leaves with a bready malt base.
T- Strong tea leaves with a big lemony kick. Good dry bitter yellow grapefruit with a hint of orange. Light caramel malt.
M- Sweet malt gives way to a dry and bitter tea leaves.

Overall- A solid Pale Ale with a dash of iced tea blended in.

3.87/5  rDev +15.9%

(best by 12/12/14 - poured into a balloon)

L: quite cloudy, peachy-orange liquid... frothy, off-white foam - looks to wanna stay, but drops into a cauldron-y swirl... a bit of messy lace, to and fro

S: dried orange peel, earthy west coast and English hops... light caramel malts, English-style esters poking around the edges (or is that the hops?) ... I have to admit, this smell is enticing... dense, arguably marzipan cookie notes at the base...

T: oooh... hmmm... the tea certainly stands out on the palate, its commanding, tannic bitterness takes hold on the back and inches its way back a bit, about 1/3 of the way... just how much gypsum do they load into their beers?!... -light-moderate, mild malty background, but strikingly dry (see - gypsum)... as the bitterness and hop/tea flavor builds on the palate, it start to take on a citrus pith flavor

F: more fullish than expected, with an unfiltered, dull-filmy hop-residue giving it a rustic flair... the finish is deceptively dry

O: all quasi-issues aside, I knocked this back fairly swiftly... the moreish factor is actually quite high... the best overall assessment I can muster is that it drinks like an authentic cask ale from a bottle with a solid, unwavering beam of dried-leafy bitterness... I would like another

3.84/5  rDev +15%

well this is interesting, a beer made with tea how fancy. But keep your pinky-finger down please. This is a very refreshing and crisp Pale Ale I love the subtle tea aroma and flavor and the taste of the good stuff behind it. I enjoy this ale even more as a 'Shandy' an Arnold Palmer (ParTea Pale Ale with Lemonade). You can say what you want about golf and Shandy's but on a hot 110 degree day in PA this drink just hits the spot. My lady friend loves it more than I do and I am o.k. with that at least she is not scarfing lemon rasberry cottone candy choco malt and fruitly tinis. No Sir, she is a real woman with the grace of a gazellle grazing in the open fields of Africa. A lion approaches, it leaps only to be be back kicked in the face as the mystic gazelle escapes. The lion returns home only to be ridiculed by his wife...the Lion retires to the local pub to have a load off. The bartender asks what the Lion is having. The Lion responds ParTea Pale Ale.

3.8/5  rDev +13.8%

3.75/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.74/5  rDev +12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Prism Brewing Company "ParTea Pale Ale"
at the brewery on 9 April 2016

Notes: Hazy amber body with golden highlight beneath a creamy head of off-white. Good head retention and lacing. Malty aroma in front of some background leafy hops. Solid grainy caramelish malt in the flavor with some leafy/herbal hops and mild tea, mainly in the finish. Bold bitterness for being just 50 IBUs. Basic English-style pale ale.

3.66/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.59/5  rDev +7.5%

I had this at Capone's served on tap in a standard pint.

A - A pale golden with amber highlights and minimal cap of white

S - The scent is tea-like, herbal and has some elements of sorachi ace's lemony aroma

M - the feel is quenching, like tea with a moderately high level of astringency as if you made a pale with lemon zest and juice of lemons like how an Arnold Palmer is half lemonade/tea - this has a pale/lemon tea feel

T - The flavor follows the nose however the astringency is stronger in the flavor than expected and the malt is low in the taste letting the tea and sorachi ace take the reigns and the medium carbonation is not a benefit as that might lift the lemon peel flavor and make it seem more balanced, but it drinks like a summer ale with tea instead of hops

D - I enjoyed this beer - it has a tasty tea base, but could use some tweaking to balance the strong herbal notes of the tea and sorachi and astringency could be dialed down a bit IMO.

3.57/5  rDev +6.9%

Appears a semi transparent light orange with a small white cap that quickly fades into a gentle cap and collar. Scattered bits of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of obvious tea leaves, lemon rinds, citrus, coriander seed, astringency, and different.
Taste is of the aromas. Obvious tea leaf addition with lemon zest pullng through.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, bitter, sweet up front, and drying on the finish.
Use with Chinese food...dim sum, or steamed buns!

3.5/5  rDev +4.8%

hazy faded orange with a very big sticky cream color head. Lots of clinging. Can smell some foundation malts, touch of citric hop and some tea underneath it all.

An interested beer that would probably be better if they worked on the body a bit more. It's not thick and resinous enough to pull off that slick medium body and it doesn't have enough carbonation to be crisp and refreshing. Bitterness is big which i'm finding i'm liking on these prism beers. Even though thy infuse with weird or fruity ingredients it isn't everything the beers about. Still a good amount of hop bitterness to this one. Malt comes through up front heavily influenced by the tea flavor goes into a citric and herbal hop bite with a nice building bitterness. Tea flavor lingers in the mouth. Honestly a nice and interesting beer with flavors that go along with each other pretty well. Kind of simple but unique. Again I wish it'd body was a bit different.

ParTea Pale Ale from Prism Brewing Company