Felony IPA | Prism Brewing Company

Prism Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States
prismbeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Felony IPA is an English / American Hybrid double IPA that features more European hops than American. Brewed in an English style to maintain a malt backbone and coming in at 10% ABV, 100 IBU’s and using 10 hop varieties to give it that American attitude Unlike those traditional IPA’s that hit you in the face with citrus, we prefer to sneak up on you with an amazingly smooth 100 IBUs of piney, earth, and citrusy hops and high octane 10% ABV. This translates into an experience that should be illegal.

This beer is one of the few beers in the world whose base malt is Low-Lox, an anti-oxidation malt that provides superior shelf-life and flavor stability which we believe is of utmost importance when making IPA’s. Learn more about the Low-Lox malt that we use.

We decided that although we love our West Coast brethren, we wanted to make our double IPA a bit differently. Our anti-reinheitsgebot perspective made this ‘illegal’ in our books so we made it the first of our Prison series. Originally a limited release beer it quickly became such a hit that we decided to make it available year round.

Added by BigMike on 11-11-2011

I don't know how this beer got so many good reviews: this is one of the worst beers I have ever had. Coming from Philadelphia I'm spoiled with Victory, Yards, and Philadelphia BC so I thought I would try another PA beer. I thought the wrapping was gimmicky with the cartoon 50's greaser but I thought I would try it out. The color is a murky amber with a very very slight head that disappears. The taste is what really killed me. I love IPAs they are my favorite beer, but I wan to be punched in the face by hops when drinking one let alone a double IPA but I got none of that. All I could taste was lacquer thinner like I was making a new surfboard and some malt then bad bitter not the good kind. I was being nice giving this beer a 1.

Ordered this DIPA at a pub on draught. I'm not going to get into look,feel,head or lacing for the fact that this beer tasted like they brewed a sub par IPA and added grain alcohol to finish the batch. As I raised the glass all I could smell was alcohol & all I could taste was alcohol and with absolutely zero hop punch. This beer even gave me that warm chest burn from the alcohol. Next time I want to taste that much booze, I'll do a shot. I do not recommend this beer at all.

1.66/5  rDev -52.8%

This beer is a disaster. While I like a good DIPA, this was a muddled mess, with a weak ester / methanol smell which permeates the taste. There is no focus to the hops, just an awful bitterness that that compliments the a doughy alcohol base.

It may not be a felony to sell a beer like this, but should require public service. To be clear, this beer just knocked Wild Blue off my worst 10 beers list. Don't buy it. You'll regret it all the way to the sink, where you'll pour it out.

1.75/5  rDev -50.3%

1.85/5  rDev -47.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

Poured from a 12oz bottle (best by date 20Nov15) into a Spiegelau IPA glass.
LOOK: Pours with a half finger's worth of off-white foam that halves itself after a minute and a half. Honey orange in color with a moderate amount of cloudiness. Rising bubbles are medium in size and moderate in quantity. Lacing is thin and subtle.
SMELL: This smells like straight lime Pinesol, grass, and a hint of alcohol.
TASTE: Mild flavors of bready malts initially enter and are instantaneously followed by mild flavors of lime Pinesol. Subtle floral hop and grass flavors come in last as malt flavors persist, but Pinesol flavors grow slightly stronger. At least I couldn't taste any alcohol.
FEEL: First of all, I feel like I'm drinking poison because of how bad it smells and tastes. But continuing... Light-bodied (let the disappointments stack up) and subtly carbonated. Goes down smooth. Finishes with the worst dryness I have ever experienced in a beer.
NOTE: The only felony about this beer was about how bad it was.

2.13/5  rDev -39.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

I'm only rating this beer beca use it was so terrible BA is making my write a review. The nose is pure rubbing alcohol. The look is okay at best thin head no lacing. The flavor is a mess of bad alcohol, astringent bitterness, and no malt background. Absolutely terrible.

2.25/5  rDev -36.1%

2.32/5  rDev -34.1%

2.5/5  rDev -29%

2.5/5  rDev -29%

2.96/5  rDev -15.9%

Poured into an ale chalice: color is opaque copper, head is white and presents 1/2 inch thick then dissipates to a ring with some light lacing.

Smell is lightly boozy, with hops not too aromatic on a cool pour, malt is lightly sweet.

Taste is not as boozy, with malt sweetness presenting and hop flavor somewhat muddled. Maybe the hop mixture complicates flavor identification. Fruitiness definitely comes through as strong from the strength and fermentation.

Mouthfeel starts harsh but is subdued as it warms, creating a softer presence on the tongue.

Overall, a good beer to try but seems to muddled in its idea, the hops are just bitter and the malt flavors are a touch too sweet.

Felony IPA from Prism Brewing Company