Mound Builder IPA | People's Brewing Company

Added by alleykatking on 10-05-2010

4.75/5  rDev +39.3%

4.75/5  rDev +39.3%

4.72/5  rDev +38.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

By synchronicity,i first tried this IPA about the same week that i first went & visited Mounds State Park in Indiana...

This is a beer so cool that i can imagine Bob Dylan,Tom Robbins,Hunter S.Thompson,Jerry Garcia,Philip K.Dick,Tom Waits,David Foster Wallace,Kurt Vonnegut,Jack Nicholson,Jim Morrison,Howlin' Wolf & Jack Kerouac all setting around drinking together!

It absolutely rocks & don't let anyone tell you any different! Get it there at the source & take some home in a growler if you can!...& Cheers!

L - Pours a cloudy amber, reddish-brown...a finger's worth of light-white to tan-like colored head...oh,&The lacing just knocks your glass back & says hello!

S - As someone else noted,the nose is refreshing and crisp...w/caramel/malt coming through.

T - a somewhat sweet, but defiantly malty IPA.The hops has some citrus hanging with it,but more malt than anything else is what comes through loud and clear!

M - Mouthfeel is medium-bodied.

4.5/5  rDev +32%

4.5/5  rDev +32%

4.4/5  rDev +29%

12 ounce can compliments of Trent!

A cloudy orange rusty look to it with a big head of creamy, vs, billowy foam. Great lacing.

The nose is big on grapefruit and pine. Somewhere, deep down, I get hints of some malt character.

Well, the malt showed up in the taste with a nice smooth bite(haha) of caramel. It goes beautifully with the aggressive pine and grapefruit. This *almost* tastes like a 2 or 3 year old Bigfoot. Don't laugh.

The body here is pretty big; another resemblance to the beer I mentioned above.

Well, I'm pretty damned impressed with this IPA. Very damned impressed!

4.25/5  rDev +24.6%

4.25/5  rDev +24.6%

4.18/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.15/5  rDev +21.7%

Half pint at Black Swan Brew Pub, Plainfield, IN. Poured a decent light golden copper color with a bit of nice head and lacing. Very nice scent, with a bit of sweetness very much overladen with semi-citrus aroma. Nice flavors, with a good sweet malt backing to a very nice mostly-citrus hop hit at the end that leaves a nice aftertaste on the tongue. Goes down quite well.

4.06/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.95/5  rDev +15.8%

As a Purdue student, I’ve had my fair share of interaction with People’s Brewing Company; however, their Pilsner is the only one I’ve come across that has really impressed me. It had an especially nice hop profile, and that's why I’m excited for this IPA. I’ve only had their beers on-tap, too, so it’ll be another first for me. Let’s see how well these guys can do the bottle thing…

A: This one pours an impressively bright reddish-amber. Awesome color with just the right amount of shine. The head comes out a little dull, though, showing off nothing but a thin, bubbled cream. But the lacing is great...I don’t understand it. Whatever; it looks good.

S: Starts with a nice hop fruitiness; very succulent grapefruit and tropical notes. A hint of pine, and then the aptly named “caramalts” take over. Bready, sweet, and with a tinge of earthy spice – it reminds me a lot of carrot cake. Good aromas meld over a scent of minerals, like in well water, which form the base of this nose.

T: Great initial taste: the earthy malts hit first, with caramel smoothing neatly over the palate as the hops build in a bitter crescendo. It really takes you aback. As you start to drink more and more, though, you notice the bigger areas of frustrating imperfection: the slight skunk in the grains and hard-water tastes, mostly. The palate still has a lot going for it, though: chewy, flavorful malts and a crisp hop character are the most evident. A dry, yet smoothly sweet character takes its part in the aftertaste, leaving this one feeling great for a while.

M: As is the case with most microbreweries, I’m getting a slight wateriness. Not much, though – People’s has a way of packing just enough flavor in there to not make it too thin.

O: Best People’s offering I’ve had to date, and that includes the Pilsner. It’s encouraging to know that there’s a beer brewed in Lafayette that I could see myself buying in a six-pack later on down the road. Knowing that you’re supporting a local brewery is a great feeling, but it really comes down to taste in the end. Thankfully, these guys deliver.

3.94/5  rDev +15.5%

My son is in his second year of grad school at Purdue and he just got himself an apartment about 4 blocks from the Peoples tap room. It was not open when we were there (and we were very busy) so I picked up some bottles. I also got the Pilsener.

Moundbuilder is relatively flat, but as I recall, the first bottle was less so, so maybe it didn't transport well (in my cooler). The taste is a nice balance of hops. Just barely over the top and exceedingly drinkable. Very appropriate for the style.

Like the pils, this has a bit of a creamy mouth feel, which seems like Wabash water to me (that's neither good nor bad). Overall, I hope to have more and maybe to visit the tap room when I get a chance.

3.92/5  rDev +15%