Quelque Chose

From:
Unibroue

Quebec, Canada
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Reviews: 393 | Ratings: 538 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by Orbfan:
4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

4.14/5  rDev +7.8%

The beer pours a translucent dark red color with no head at all. The aroma is good. It has a nice, sweet, ripe cherry scent with really no malt makeup. The taste is excellent. It has a rich cherry flavor with a touch of cinnamon in the aftertaste. It taste no malts here, but it's still good. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied brew with adequate/little carbonation. This is a good fruit beer. It has a scetchy appearance, but it has an awesome flavor and mouthfeel. Unfortunately, the price may keep me from buying another.

4.17/5  rDev +8.6%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a red-brown with a nice head and some good lacing on the way down. The nose brings cherries, spice, some dark chocolate, and a bit of dark fruits. The taste brings the cherries to the front along with a bit of light chocolate and some sweet dark malt. Nice feel with a good amount of sweetness. I was anxious to try this when I first saw an ad for it, and I will say that it drinks quite well.

Sampled at room temp thanks to my roommate.
Pours a deep brownish red with absolutely no head. Smell is very woodsy with a strong aroma of cherry. Taste is exactly how is smells; very fruity almost pushing the limits of beer and becoming a cider. A lot of cherries are present. Mouthfeel is decent. Drinkability is ok considering what this beer is. I don't think anyone will be picking this up everyday, but it is a great diversion and I'm glad I got to sample it.

3.87/5  rDev +0.8%

Bottle. Opens with hardly even a mouse fart of a "pop". Pours a flat, clear dark ruby reddish color. The lack of carbonation I am a little on the fence about, I don’t mind flat beers but a do prefer a slight carb at least to help the flavors pop. The aroma is nice with a mix of dark cherries and almost like a cola note. The taste is nice with a cherry forward note that carries through the whole time. A sipper for sure but the 8% really doesn’t show that much. Overall, pretty happy with this.

3.91/5  rDev +1.8%

Bottle – Served fresh: Poured a red colored beer with no carbonation or head. Aroma is mostly cherries with some spices. Taste is cherries with strong mix of clove and nutmeg. Maybe a bit too spicy for my liking. Very different beer thought. Served hot: No surprise here with no carbonation or head. Taste of spice seems to make more sense here since they are subtler. Overall, this is a very different beer probably not for everyone taste and I wouldn’t drink more then one.

3.82/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from 750ml bottle into Tulip.

A. Zero head. No lacing. No retention. Color is ruby brown.

Warm. About a centimeter of head that vanished very quickly. A little bit of lacing. Same color.

S. Sour, sweet, a ton of different Cherry smells. Some spices. Maybe a little clove and cinnamon. Very interesting. Can't say I have smelled very many beers like this.

Warm. Spices might be a bit more predominant. Definitely has a warm cider smell to it.

T. Sour cherry. Lots of spices; cinnamon, clove, maybe a little vanilla. Very interesting taste as well. I am drinking this one cold but will definitely try again warm as I can see how this is like a cider, in fact there is some definite apple flavor going on. Taste is very unique. Reminds me almost of an herbal tea.

Warm. Many of the same flavors. Have to say that it tastes better to me warm. Seems more like a drink than a beer though.

M. Medium bodied. No carbonation. Finishes both sweet and sour.

D. Very unique to say the least. Maybe the strangest beer I have had yet. Drinkability is hard to gauge on this one. Pretty much everything is hard to gauge or describe here.

Warm. This is the way I would recommend this beer be drank. Not a huge improvement over having it cold, but definitely a different feel or experience. Has more a liquer feel to it when warm.

3.96/5  rDev +3.1%

I had three cups divided evenly among the 500ml bottle. The first cup was when it was slightly cooler. Here, the body was weaker, the cherries more tart and the acidity was quite strong. The second glass was at room temperature. Here, the spices finally come out much stronger and blend really well with a maltier body. Dark roasted malts almost overtake the cherries here and the acidity is just about right. Finally I warmed me up a mug. Alcohol becomes really strong, spices are much more notiveable, cherries are strong in the finish, and it seems to be a bit sweeter.

I'd say I like it room temp best then mulled then cold. Really an intriguing beer, reminds me of true apple cider without all that added sugar. I don't like the appearance as this is really flat and has a murky rusty color to it. When held up to light it looks dirty. All in all this was a treat and quite a nice sipper but I couldn't drink this every day.

3.72/5  rDev -3.1%

Gift courtesy of KickbacksSteve for Perfect Pair to enjoy as a true Cherry fix. Enjoyed the first half cold on ice. Warmed the second half of the bottle as suggested for a comprehensive experience.

Overall experience was "reminds us of a light cider mixed with real cherries and winter season spices, think mulled cider meets light hybrid fruit lager/cider or something like that"

Appearance was light pink cider type look. No noticable head given we served it on ice as suggested. Looks like a pink iced tea.
Smells of spiced apple butter, cherry with a hint of cinnamon spice. Much more intense cherry aroma as it was warmed.
Tastes like a light mulled cider with a dash of cherry character.
Mouthfeel was very light body and semi sweet on palate.
Drinkable as a winter time rarity with a group at the holidays, otherwise not my thing. Notably a very cool experience though.

3.57/5  rDev -7%

Pours a good caramel color with cherry tints. The head is non-existant. Aromas are all cherry pie. One can smell the pie crust as well as the cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, and the sweet, plump, sour cherries. In the mouth the beer is a touch flabby. The acidity in my sample was definately lacking. Flavors are of sour cherry pie and woody baking spices. Pinot Noir esc, this ale would be at home with duck, salmon, and probably beef tenderloin. Don't forget the cherry pie.

3.13/5  rDev -18.5%

Body is flat with no indication of head. The color is an opaque burgundy.

Smells like sweet cherries and cough syrup. There's a medicinal smell to it.

The taste is coyingly sweet. It's barely tart at all. The flavor is like cooking sherry, cherries, and cough syrup.

Mouthfeel is extremely flat. From what I can tell, that's how it's supposed to be. It's also syrupy.

I wasn't feeling this one. The flat mouthfeel and overly sweet taste was a bit much considering I was drinking this bottle on my own. I could see pairing this glass with a meal in some way, but it's just not a stand alone beer to drink just for the sake of having a beer.

4.32/5  rDev +12.5%

Quelque Chose 2002

On the rocks:
No head, looks like iced tea. Smells like a cherry pie with cinnamon and clove spices on top. Very light body, sweet tangy cherries. Beer, I don’t know. It’s tasty and incredibly drinkable though.

Room temp:
No head, same color. Aroma is not as pronounced for some reason, the spices are still there, but the cherry is more difficult to detect. The cheery flavor is a lot sweeter, almost too much. The body is a little bit thicker. More of a sipper at this temperature.

Warm:
No head, same color. Light aroma of hot cherries. Body is a bit thicker, it tastes like a warm alcoholic cherry cider. The alcohol comes more from the way it warms you throat, as opposed to taste.

Overall:
Good flavor on the cherries, not fake like other flavored beers. Room temp. was the least drinkable, just too much flavorthat didn't blend. Warm was pretty good, it would definitely be good on a cold winter day. On the rocks was the best tasting and most drinkable. I think the lack of carbonation was what made it the most "unbeerlike". An interesting brew. Very different from the micro fruit beers I’ve had, and nothing like the one kriek lambic I’ve tried.

4.67/5  rDev +21.6%

had on the rocks and then warm

On the rocks it had a nice sherry like feel. Not over sweet at all, very pleasant and refreshing taste. it tasted so good I didn't want to boil the next half. Had a pale red complexion. and a sublt sourness that was pleasant.

Wow.. warm totally changed this beer. Had more of a cider liek feel. Lots of apple aroma and taste as well as the spices in the beer coming out more. Great as well. Very suprised. This is a world class beer and a great experience.

Tried part of the 750ml bottle warmed, room temp. and on the rocks. Each was slightly different, but each was similar. I thought it was best at room temp. Pours a deep dark red, with just a wisp of a head (some head develops when heating). Aroma of wine and cherries some maltiness to remind me that this is in fact beer. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and again like wine. Taste is of sweet dark/black cherries with a medicinal quality and again a port or merlot wine character with a bit of sweet malt fighting against the fruit and alcohol. Pretty amazing stuff, only for special ocasions and sipping though.

3.04/5  rDev -20.8%

750ml corked bottle poured into a big goblet

Pours a clear ruby red with absolutely no head...only the faintest gasp as I pulled the cork out. Smell is cherries, sour, rather pleasant. Smells like a sour beer.

Taste is rather cough syrupy, sweet with an alcohol aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is silky but unpleasantly flat. Sweetness and unpleasant mouthfeel greatly reduce drinkability.

4.01/5  rDev +4.4%

2002 Special mushroom-corked bottle.

When uncorked, there's no pop or anything to indicate carbonation. Mulled in a double-boiler, however, the liquid begins to release tiny bubbles that are not the result of boiling (I only heated it to about 140F). When allowed to properly steep, the beer is covered with a fluffy layer of foam that hangs on tight even once poured into a mug, reminding me of freshly brewed chai brought to the point of boil-over.

The aromas are completely subdued when brought right off the heat but, as it cools to the point just where you can sip without burning yourself, there's a magnificent chorus of cherries and spices that are mostly hearty and earthy instead of floral and aromatic. The acidity is forward, but held in check by the fruit. When warmed, this drinks a bit thin, but regains some body as it comes down to room temp. I immediately think hot cider, yet it also begs for at least some comparison to pinot noir.

This is an absolutely spectacular food beer and I would recommend pairing it with the very things you'd put up next to pinot. I couldn't imagine a better drink to go with Thanksgiving turkey, cranberries, and a nice spiced pudding. I had it with Papa Del's thin crust green pepper pizza and, though you'd expect a sauv blanc to go better than something big on cherries, the pairing was classic.

Relax, relax.
ng

3.53/5  rDev -8.1%

Cold Option
A= Pours a very dark red/brown color. No head comes out of it at all and there are "juice" like bubbles on the side of the glass. Not foam. It looks hazy even though I can't see through it.
S= Some booze comes through first followed by some very tart cherries. Maybe some apple cider follows... mulling spices?
T= Sweet cherry all the way. Little tartness to it. Tastes most like a pie filling. Not bad just interesting.
M= actually sort of crisp despite there is no carbonation.
D= Average. I would get sick of this fast. Interesting enough to try though. Girlfriend enjoyed it so maybe I'll but more for her.

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

tried my first(and certainly not my last) bottle of this fine Quelque Chose and it was a real treat. I have been sampling quite a few
of this master brewers beers lately and I like them all, very
unique and most are highly carbonated beers(not this one though) but the flavor and strength
of their brews, wow! The cherries in this I couldn't believe
the taste( like a fine wine in fact) that comes from all this. Highly recommended for special (after dinner) times but I wouldn't ever pass on it if it was handed to me, anytime.
I drank it cool to room temp, didn't want to try it hot, as stated on the bottle, the sun was setting over the lake, 75 degrees, I'll
save the hot part for next winter.
Not for everybodys taste but man if you like cherries(kind of tart)
and some really nice spices, give this a try.

3.59/5  rDev -6.5%

A - Poured a light reddish brown color that did not produce a head, and therefore did not lace, its appearance resembled wine more than beer

S - Mix of cherries, cinnamon, again very wine-like

T - Sour cherries, cinnamon, pears, and cloves. No malt or hops profile

M - No carbonation, light body

D - Although this was a good drink, I don't see how this was a beer, no malts or hops that I could taste.

4.29/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Slow start as its fairly ordinary looking, no head, no lace, no distinguishing feature beyond being a very handsome ruby colour.

After that it's all about the cherries. Great cherry nose, great cherry taste. Spicy, fruity, malty - lots of good things happening. Comes across a bit like a liqueur without being quite as boozy or sweet. Sweetness nicely offset by a hint of sourness. Interesting and enjoyable to drink. Big alcohol can sneak up on you.

3.82/5  rDev -0.5%

500 mL bottle
2002 vintage, consumed... right now!

Appearance- Into a snifter, slightly chilled. Pours a clear crimson color with some bubbles on the surface, but no head. No carbonation streams, this beer is flat, but from what I have heard, this was expected.

Smell- Cherry and apple cider. Musty earthy tones. Some light spicing, mostly cinnamon.

Taste- Has a very strong cider taste, with cherry on the backend. Some leather and a splash of vanilla. Slightly acidic, but apple and cinnamon are the dominant flavors I am picking up. A bit spicy, like Big Red chewing gum. Sweet but not cloying, the 8% is not noticed. The more you get into it, the cherry starts to stand out more.

Mouthfeel- Feels like juice in the mouth, completely flat, but not bad at all, it actually works.

Overall- No carbonation may actually be bringing the flavors out more; flat, but I am really enjoying the flavor. 8 years on this one, this is the oldest beer I have had to date and it is deffinitly still drinkable and enjoyable.

3.1/5  rDev -19.3%

The only unibroue product that I haven't top rated.Looked a cloudy ruby red. There was so little carbonation I thought there might have been some leakage in the bottle. This of course resulted in a very flat mouthfeel. The aroma was like cherry jam. Creamy cherry taste, only a slight sourness. I won't buy it again,but I will try someone else's just to see if its texture is the same as mine.

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%

500ml bottle purchased 2003, Sampled May 2005
Pours a brilliantly clear cherry-cough medicine color with no head or and perhaps only a tickle of carbonation. The aroma of this beer fills the air with sticky sweet cherries as I pour this beer. A deeper smell reveals savory notes of spices on top of the cherry notes which dominate the underside of this beer. At this point it is hard for me to pick out the individual components of the spices, but I get notes of clove and nutmeg.

This beer is lightly chilled at this point, probably about 60*F. The beer is fairly sweet, though not sticky, and it is quite fruity, though not just with notes of cherries. I also pick up notes of ripe plums, and some fig as well. This beer is only lightly spiced at this point, which I must admit is a plus for me. This beer is certainly interesting, and, despite misgivings, I can see how this would actually be tasty served over ice on a hot summer day. It certainly hides its alcohol quite well, I really don't get any notes of it in this beer. For a while there, as I work my way through my 500ml sample, I thought that this beer might be a little too much, but it is really going down quite smoothly and I think that I am quite enjoying this beer. There is a slightly spicy, astringent note in the finish that balance the sweet fruitiness that is found in the forefront.

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%