Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Quelque Chose | Unibroue

unibroue.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

4.32/5  rDev +14%

This is only my second bottle of this beer, though I'm a dedicated Unibroue fan. The last, and first bottle I tried, was at a holiday family gathering a few years ago, and my beer-loving brother claimed that "this is no BEER!" Okay, maybe, maybe not...This time, though, I'm going to try it mulled, as they like it, though a portion was poured chilled...

ripe orange color, smallish head,

... tart aroma, sour cherries, tangy, sweet, tasty...if you hate tartness, stay away, but be warned that there's more to this than you might expect...

Now, it's time to try the heated version...perfect for the snowy, 10 degree climate here in Minneapolis
...heated: bright crimson, huge, creamy, frosty white head.

Aroma, well-masked by the heat, burning fruit,

Taste: the heat is too much to consider it gently, but it's terrifically integrated, the sour cherry flavor is muted some by the heat, but the taste is still rich and rewarding...yum, yum, I wish I wasn't so close to the furnace, so I could reap it's benefits better...an excellent nightcap, better than a dessert, more effective than a lambic.

...this, the well-heated Quelque Chose, is a true beer experience! I've got to go out and get some more, to make the march past February less unbearable!

4.01/5  rDev +5.8%

2002 Special mushroom-corked bottle.

When uncorked, there's no pop or anything to indicate carbonation. Mulled in a double-boiler, however, the liquid begins to release tiny bubbles that are not the result of boiling (I only heated it to about 140F). When allowed to properly steep, the beer is covered with a fluffy layer of foam that hangs on tight even once poured into a mug, reminding me of freshly brewed chai brought to the point of boil-over.

The aromas are completely subdued when brought right off the heat but, as it cools to the point just where you can sip without burning yourself, there's a magnificent chorus of cherries and spices that are mostly hearty and earthy instead of floral and aromatic. The acidity is forward, but held in check by the fruit. When warmed, this drinks a bit thin, but regains some body as it comes down to room temp. I immediately think hot cider, yet it also begs for at least some comparison to pinot noir.

This is an absolutely spectacular food beer and I would recommend pairing it with the very things you'd put up next to pinot. I couldn't imagine a better drink to go with Thanksgiving turkey, cranberries, and a nice spiced pudding. I had it with Papa Del's thin crust green pepper pizza and, though you'd expect a sauv blanc to go better than something big on cherries, the pairing was classic.

Relax, relax.
ng

4.23/5  rDev +11.6%

Very promising beer here. Cool bottle, corked, very nice. Pours a dark red color with a nice small white head that quickly dissipates to a ring around the edge. The aroma was very strong with sweet cherries surrounded with an alcohol tone. Very impressive. Not too sweet, not too tart in the smell. The flavor was much the same. Reminds me of an apple cider, but much better. It is the perfect amount of sweet and the perfect amount of tart - not too much of either. There are also some spices thrown in. I'm so amazed at how strong the apple flavor is. Loved this one. Wonderfully done.

3.8/5  rDev +0.3%

I tried this beer mulled, as the bottle recommended. It had a very slight carbonation as I poured it into the pan, but that quickly disappeared upon heating. Quelque Chose is a deep red. When heated, the nose is full of alcohol and cherries. The taste is cherries, cinnamon, nutmeg with a warming alcohol feel as it goes down. Very delicious, but hard to believe it is beer. I marked it down a bit for drinkability because it is really meant to be a sipping beer - probably the only beer I'll have tonight.

I would definitely recommend mulling this beer. I had a sip at room temp, and it wasn't nearly as good.

4.29/5  rDev +13.2%

Appearance: Bright crystal clear reddish-whiskey color. Almost completely still, microscopic ring of champangne-sized bubbles at edge of glass. Mulling appeared to boost brightness of the red color and carbonation level.
Smell: Red table wine, ripe cherries, oaky hints. Mulling brought out more spice tones as would be found in cider.
Taste: Sweet/tart cherry/raspberry/cranberry at the start, thin bodied slight fizz at the top, dries semi-sweet with lingering oakiness with tart ripe fruits. Mulling accentuated these flavors, particularly the tartness.
Mouthfeel: Thin, slightest of carbonation fizzes, puckery. Mulling boosted the fizz and pucker factor.
Drinkability: Similar to a light cherry-fortified red table wine at room temperature. Would never have thought to mull a beer. A very pleasant and unique experience.

4.09/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Murky wine like purple red absolutely no carbonation, best by date says 10-5-2002 so here we go. Aroma: Alcohol drenched tart but very sweet cherry juice fills the senses, vinous and winelike this brew is something else, the spicing backs up the barrage of tart cherries. Taste: Impressive somewhat woody in flavor with the tart sweentess of cherry juice there and a warming alcohol sensatiobn making this one complex fruit infused ale. Mouthfeel: A bit thin in body but makes up with an even overall texture not much carbonation very wine like with each sip. Drinkability: Served cold much more drinkable I imagine I don't think I'm ready to mull this one just not in the mood much more sufficient to just sip and enjoy it from the fridge after being warmed up for about twenty minutes. Overall sweetness brings down the drinkability a bit but still very tasty winter dessert beer.

3.95/5  rDev +4.2%

2002 version

Served hot

Poured a deep red with a nice foamy white head. Cherry! I taste cherry! The fruity flavor is very strong and quite nice to the tastebuds. Spices are also present in the flavor. The fruit doesn't know if to be sweet or tart so it attempts both with sucess. Similar to a hard cider in vibe. Certainly helped warm me up on a day when I needed that most.

4.32/5  rDev +14%

Quelque Chose 2002

On the rocks:
No head, looks like iced tea. Smells like a cherry pie with cinnamon and clove spices on top. Very light body, sweet tangy cherries. Beer, I don’t know. It’s tasty and incredibly drinkable though.

Room temp:
No head, same color. Aroma is not as pronounced for some reason, the spices are still there, but the cherry is more difficult to detect. The cheery flavor is a lot sweeter, almost too much. The body is a little bit thicker. More of a sipper at this temperature.

Warm:
No head, same color. Light aroma of hot cherries. Body is a bit thicker, it tastes like a warm alcoholic cherry cider. The alcohol comes more from the way it warms you throat, as opposed to taste.

Overall:
Good flavor on the cherries, not fake like other flavored beers. Room temp. was the least drinkable, just too much flavorthat didn't blend. Warm was pretty good, it would definitely be good on a cold winter day. On the rocks was the best tasting and most drinkable. I think the lack of carbonation was what made it the most "unbeerlike". An interesting brew. Very different from the micro fruit beers I’ve had, and nothing like the one kriek lambic I’ve tried.

4.14/5  rDev +9.2%

2002 Limited Edition.
Sampled from a bottle at room temperature and warmed (steaming). It is much better served warm.

This beer poured a clear, reddish brown with thin white foam that settled (when served warmed, there was no foam). At room temperature the smell was a faint aroma of cherries: tart and slightly sour. When warmed, the smell was significantly better: sweet and tart cherries with some malt and spice and a hint of alcohol. The taste sweet and tart cheeries with hints of sugar, malt, and spices (cinnamon?). When warmed, the flavors were more enhanced: cherry, malt, spice. The warm flavors leaped off the tongue. The mouthfeel at room temp. was smooth with medium body and low carbonation. When warmed the mouthfeel was smooth with a somewhat syrupy feel though it was light on the tongue. The body was medium with no carbonation. There was a very nice, lingering tart aftertaste. This was a an OK beer at room temperature, but warmed it was very pleasant and enjoyable on a cold evening.

2.91/5  rDev -23.2%

Half liter brown bottle, 2002 edition. Served @ cellar temp.

A pinkish shade of brown, fairly clear. No head, and completely flat.

Strong cherry aroma is invinting along with an earthy musk.

Sweet up front, mixed with tart cherry flavours, and a mix of warm baking spices. Interesting flavour, but not really my thing. Perhaps I need to try it again, and serve it mulled.

3.79/5  rDev 0%

I drank this slightly chilled from a goblet. Muddy red colored with no head and little carbonation. Aroma immediately reminded me somehow of Gluhwein. A bit earthy with cinnamon, sour cherries and ginger. Almost like a wine cooler in my opinion all though I did not try warmed. Some sweetness with a mouth-puckering sourness and dry finish. This was an enjoyable beverage yet unlike any I've had in this category.

3.55/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Half a liter bottle, some cold, some mulled.

Cold: Hazy reddish-brown color with no head at all. Sweet and spicy smell with a Worcestershire Sauce aroma. The taste is of sweet cherry and malt, with just a bit of spices. The mouthfeel is fairly nice and thick. Fair drinkability.

Hot: Poured from a saucepan into a coffee mug, creating a one finger head. The smell is full of cherry, spice, and alcohol. The taste is more tart, with overripe cherries. A little bland on the finish. The drinkability is ok, and the body remains fair.

3.1/5  rDev -18.2%

The only unibroue product that I haven't top rated.Looked a cloudy ruby red. There was so little carbonation I thought there might have been some leakage in the bottle. This of course resulted in a very flat mouthfeel. The aroma was like cherry jam. Creamy cherry taste, only a slight sourness. I won't buy it again,but I will try someone else's just to see if its texture is the same as mine.

4.02/5  rDev +6.1%

Served in the 12 oz bottle, both cold and heated.

Cold: The color was a light red, with no head. The smell was cherry-ish and reminded me almost of a brandy. The taste was a very black, sour cherry taste, with alcohol somewhat present. Mouthfeel was smooth. As for drinkability, would get cloying after a while.

Hot: The color was much darker. The smell seemed to open up more of the cinnamon-ish sweetness. The taste was much more sour and took a lot of the alcohol bite off. Mouthfeel was even smoother. Drinkability was definitely higher warm than cold.

A very unique beer, to say the least, and a beer that even my own mother liked, and she hates beer. This would be an excellent dessert treat, and as the weather gets colder, I hope I can find a few more of these to heat up on those cold winter nights. Salut to Unibroue for creating another innovative brew!

3.41/5  rDev -10%

Corked 500 ml black bottle with gold lettering. 8& abv, no freshness date.
Aroma: Smells like, swear to God, fruitcake. Lots of clove, cinnamon and dark fruit smells.
Appearance: Cherry red with almost no carbonation. Small bubbles formed low in the glass, but nothing like a head appeared.
Flavor: A tart cherry taste with some horse blanket aspects to it. Nice dry finish.
Mouthfeel: Light, flat and a bit of an astringent pucker at the end.
Overall Impression: Are we sure this is beer? Tastes closer to sangria. Fruity, of course, but, um, hops? None noted. Malt? Erm, maybe? I’m pretty sure they used yeast and water, beyond that, no claims made here. My wife actually poured hers on ice cream, it wasn’t bad at all. A bit too cloying for solid drinkability, but I’m interested in getting another bottle and heating it up. This would be a great winter warmer. Again: are we sure this is beer? Beer on ice cream?!? Beer served hot?!? This one’s outside the box.

3.97/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours murky reddish amber, like apple juice mixed with apple cider with some bubbles on top. Lots of nice wintery spices in the aroma. They really come out as you warm the brew. Cinnamon and apples lead the way. Apple aromas blend in to give an overall aroma of spiced cider with some cherry presence.

Lots of spices in the flavor too. It really tastes a lot like a cider, with some nice tart cherry notes. The cinnamon flavor is excellent when you heat it up. I like how it is nice and light when cold, yet more full and spicy in a warm mug. It is a very versatile brew.

4.1/5  rDev +8.2%

Red color, no head. Aroma is cherries and Allspice. Tasted at three temperatures; ice cold, room temp and hot. Not sure what the temps were as I could not find my thermometer. ICE COLD – Cherry flavor very evident. Very smooth and tart. No carbonation. Nice flavor, cherry with spices, allspice and cinnamon and something else I can’t identify. Would taste nice over ice on a hot day.ROOM TEMP – More beerish character emerges, as it gets closer to room temperature. A little more of the spice and hop character appear.HOT – It is very cloying cherish hot, spices are even more evident.Overall impression. A unique and different beer. Yes it does have a very strong cherry flavor. It is tart and nearly wine like, but the malts are there. It very easy to drink and hides the 8% alcohol well. It keeps it flavor profile over the wide range of temperature sampled. Mouthfeel is full. Finish is clean. Aftertaste is sweet and cherryish.

2.24/5  rDev -40.9%

I originally sampled this on 28 September 2002. I am writing this review from my notes.
Tried it cold, room temp and warm. Didn't like it any of the 3 ways. Cold, it tastes like cough medicine. @ room temp or warm, it just didn't taste good. It poured w/ no head and looked like a some sort of cherry drink. THis one's just not for me.

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

I prepared this mulled like has been suggested to me many times over. What a different experience that makes.

Served in a chalice from the brown 500 ml bottle with gold lettering. I've been aging this bottle for over half a year. Appearance is a rich, intense ruby, more like a cabernet. Immense lacing. Aroma of spices and tart cherry. Spices like cinnamon and nutmeg and allspice. Flavour matches it almost to a letter. Velvety mouthfeel, and goes down like baby bear's porridge--just right. Very fine, but probably best appreciated in the dead of winter in front of a fire or dim candle-lit room (save this for your special someone). Yeah, this is far better when warmed/mulled, the flavour alters greatly for the better. Something to be experienced.

3.77/5  rDev -0.5%

2002 Limited Edition

This one has no head or carbonation when poured out. It looks just like a glass of cranberry juice. The aroma is spicy, sweet, and full of tart cherries. The fruity, sweet cherries are predominating in the flavor, along with the tartness and the spiciness. It is relatively light and easy drinking, but you can tell it has an alcoholic kick. I had this one slightly chilled; I wouldn’t mind giving it a try hot, or over the rocks. Definitely an interesting brew.

3.79/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This is a very very interesting beer. I have had this sitting in my fridge for a while now, and was waiting for the right moment to crack it open. After arriving home cold from a rainy night at a Philles game, I decided it was time.

As many have done, I also had to try this beer at different temperatures. I drank about 1/4 of the bottle very warm, steeping my glass in hot water, and drank the rest of it in a normal fashion. Upon opening the bottle, a sour cherry aroma spews out. It smells like cherry cheesecake. The warm sample had a much more complex aroma. Cherries, cinnamon, spices, and a hint of alcohol were detectable.

Everything seemed to have more complexity in the warmer sample. The flavor was a tad different. The cherry flavor is not as strong in taste as it is in the nose. I did notice the 8% alcohol...it is not overpowering but it is very noticeable. Mouthfeel is thin as it warms the throat. This is not something I could drink a lot of...one bottle is all I could handle because it is a bit sweet. However, the one bottle I had, at both temperatures, is very enjoyable. Definitely one to try, for its uniqueness, both warmed and cooled.

3.82/5  rDev +0.8%

I'm not really sure this stuff is "beer", but I'll review it anyways.

Quelque Chose pours with a deep red body and no head, and just a little fizz. The aroma is that of tart fresh-picked cherries, quite pleasant. Tastewise, it tastes a little more like a cocktail than a beer, with very strong cherry flavors, but unlike a cocktail the sweetness was rather muted. The mouthfeel is wonderful, it dances over your tongue almost like a sherry. It also has a wonderful warmness to it's mouthfeel.

I've had this twice, at room temperature and heated on the wood stove. It's pleasant both ways. I recommend it, but not in a beer-drinking sort of way... think of it as a substitute for a sherry or a mulled wine.

4.35/5  rDev +14.8%

500ml bottle. Poured a copper red with no discernable head or even carbonation. Aroma of cherries and spice. Taste starts out lightly sweet, then the tartness of the sour cherries kicks in. Tastes just like a tart cherry pie. This goes down so smooth. And the tartness hides the alcohol. This would be a great winter warmer, a nice sipping relaxing drink.

3.6/5  rDev -5%

750 ml bottle purchased in December of 2002 (which had been released in early 2000, I believe). Tasted it at room temperature and a small sample warmed up.

Appearance: reddish brown hue, pretty good clarity, absolutely no head

Aroma: like port or kijafa, cooked cherries, alcohol, no hops

Flavor: fruity and sweet, luscious flavor of cooked cherries, almondy accent, slightly tart, no hop flavor or bitterness, sweet sour finish, very wine-like, reminiscent of Cherry Luden's cough drops and cherries jubilee

Mouthfeel: very light bodied for the high abv, no carbonation whatsoever, warming sensation

Overall Impression: I was a little perplexed at first because of the lack of carbonation (thought maybe I had a defect cork). Had a hard time describing this beer or whatever it is. Good with dark chocolate. Tried it warmed up as well, but I liked the flavor much better at room temp (currently 75 deg F). Reminds me of the Glogg we drank back in my mother/father-land. I'd enjoy this a lot more if it was cold outside.

3.42/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured a copper/red color with no head to speak of,the aroma was tart and of bubblegum?Taste was a little weird at first but after a few sips the tartness seemed to balance out a little but I still didnt care to much for the aftertaste.Well I can say I tried it,I may try again and warm it a little.

Quelque Chose from Unibroue