Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Unibroue 10 | Unibroue

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Added by kbub6f on 01-02-2002

3.94/5  rDev -8.2%

4.25/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Flashback #314 - One of my faves back in the day, so good.

4.16/5  rDev -3%

2.5/5  rDev -41.7%

4.25/5  rDev -0.9%

3.03/5  rDev -29.4%

A: The pour is a very light straw color with a minimal white head capping it.

S: The nose has a strong white wine aroma to it. You could also pick out some similarities to mead. Overall, it's just really sweet. A fair amount of alcohol along with some cork and cardboard oxidation.

T: Intensely sweet with more of that white wine and mead-like character. A pretty large yeast note and plenty of cardboard to it as well.

M: The body is medium with a low to medium level of carbonation.

D: Not surprisingly, this one is well on the way downhill. Not really worth drinking at this point.

4.35/5  rDev +1.4%

Presentation: 750ml caged and corked. Not much else on the label. Very special tenth anniversary reserve. I do know that it was bottled back in 2002, and it is around 8 years old. The cork was quite easy to get going. About half way through the pull, I had contemplated if I needed to run over to the sink before I finished opening it, but before I could do that, the cork flew out with a satisfying pop, with a very slight fizzing in the bottle.

Appearance: Brilliantly clear golden yellow with a slight tinge of copper. A small white head struggles to form and fades quickly leaving little lacing.

Aroma: A lot of fruity esters, dominating with apples, with a malt sweetness in the background. The medicinal phenols shine through with a peppery finish and a very smooth and pleasant alcoholic warmth, just letting you know that this is packing 10% ABV.

Taste: A lot of medicinal phenols upfront with a slightly sweet malt flavor. A lot of fruity esters shine through again, a little more apple, and some citrus. It finishes with some peppery phenols. The alcohol in barely perceptible, but can feel the warmth the more you drink.

Mouthfeel: It is medium bodied, but finishes light and dry. The carbonation is lacking, but I'll take into consideration that the cork might have let out some CO2 over the past 8 years.

Notes: I probably should have drank this a few years ago. The spiciness and the complexity has faded a bit over time, but it has smoothed out even more since the last time I had this beer 3 years ago. The flavors are still remarkably in a nice balance, but it's lacking the "oompfh" it used to possess. Even at room temperature, it is very smooth, and the reduced level of carbonation makes it that much easier to drink.

4.15/5  rDev -3.3%

WOW! what a foamy head, quite fizzy, As its been cellared for a while. Cloudy yellow-orange in color as I said a huge white foamy head, the lace clings to the side of the glass in layers. Nose is yeasty, citusy, fruity, and sweet, a great aroma to be sure. Start is sweet, the top light to medium, the finish is tart, well hopped, acidic, and the 10% abv warms the 'Belly'. Another winner in my books, a fine beginning to the Unibroue Series

4.3/5  rDev +0.2%

Originally reviewed on July 6, 2006.

Pours a beautiful shining gold with a vibrant white head. The carbonation is vibrant and evident.

The aroma is heavy with citrus and malt. The taste is fruity with a strong flavor of apple and citrus. The alcohol lends a bite that leads to a warming finish.

The drinkability is nice due to a pleasant crispness. I would say this would be an excellent beer to replace a white wine at the dinner table.

3.7/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed on 12/17/08. Bottle found randomly in the back of the fridge of my local beer store! Seems to have been stored well...pours a cloudy light orange with a small white head. Aroma of sweet fruits, particularly apple, some light spices, and yeast. Flavor is mostly sweet with a touch of light fruits, lots of yeast with some bitterness, and a slight vegetal quality. Nice BSA although I suspect this has passed its peak. Still quite enjoyable though.
7/4/8/4/14 (3.7/5)

4.42/5  rDev +3%

750 ml bottle in a snifter.

A - Bright yellow orange color with a thick white head.

S - Very strong fruit smells, some orange and lemon. A little malt sneaks past the fruit.

T - The fruit is not as strong as the smell but still very present. There is a strong spice flavor though. Very nice.

M - Light bodied with good carbonation.

D - Great beer, but what do you expect from Unibroue.

4.27/5  rDev -0.5%

Seeing this at a beer tasting was a complete surprise a couple weeks ago. I've been meaning to try it for a while now.

The beer is yellowish orange in color, little head, hazy, not much retention. The orange glow is nice and the murkiness is Belgian. Not much to say other than that.

The smell is fruity and spicy. Some apple and some tangy orange. Verry smooth aged malt smell as well. Im curious what this beer was when it was new.

The taste seems almost like a white ale to me. Theres plenty of spices, no hops, possibly some wheat, and lots of sweet aged malt. Very nice and very enjoyable. Surprisingly the carbonation is still there and active.

3.95/5  rDev -7.9%

I was happy to hear the pop of the cork when I opened the bottle. It's somewhat old, but quality and little cellar disturbance prevail. I bought this as a "freshie" and only moved once since. The new cellar is a bit more stable than the old one. The temps here vary from 55 to 65 throughout the year. The old cellar was actually the pantry and varied from 60 to 72. I've never had an ideal cave and I suppose that the lack of constancy and temps moving above 55 are contributors to accelerated aging, but this one has made it through.

The taste is "PUT TOGETHER" I really like a beer that is comfortable with itself. I mean that the components respect each other. This can happen with the initial choices a brewer makes and then it can happen in the bottle over time. Unibroue makes good beer,fresh and it's good to taste an aged special that has come to respect itself.(I have old friends that resemble this beer)

The beer has head. I see it in the bottle now. It's about 1/8" high. The glass has subsided to a respectable skim. It looks like a deep gold triple and has a slight tartness that balances the sweetness that immediately pursues it. The flavors are fruity and spicy and balanced. I can't pull flavors out of a taste as well as some, but mango is near here on the back of my tongue. There is enough tartness to generate a substantial saliva response. (Spit is serious.)
(My neice told me that Barbie is serious too.)

The appearance is beautifully clear. It is a very good example of the Belgian style. I feel that, in its maturity, it has become more that the initial offering. I have mixed feelings about cellaring. This beer keeps me putting good, bottle conditioned, 8% (and up) ABV examples away for later.

3.28/5  rDev -23.5%

Pale orange in color with very little carbonation to speak of. Not sure if this is due to its age or not-I was expecting more. Slightly fruity and yeasty-faint aroma of apricots. Somewhat sweet and malty flavor dominates. Whatever spiciness that was intended to be here is long gone but the flavor it reaching to say "spices". Rather bland with a spicy note to it. Body is ok-rather thin but not in a bad way. Way past its prime here. I am trying to think when I bought this-I hate to think it was the spring of 07 and this is still on the shelves. Should be in one's cellar and in the front of the shelf for sure.

4.32/5  rDev +0.7%

This beer comes to me aged a full 7 years, thank you Harry!
Unibroue 10th Anniversary Special Reserve Ale.
750ml silk screened bottle, with classic Unibroue cork with the 'U" logo etched onto both the top and bottom of it.
Pours a very clouded appearance, a light yellow with marmalade orange highlights. Some head formed initially off the pour, but little would stay. A lovely bouquet (especially for something at its age) quite vibrant and fruity. Notes of over ripened fruits and a strong, fermented/mellowed Belgian malt bill. A surprisingly aggressive mouthfeel and lively flavour! Notes of pear and apple in particular, carbonation still on the level and texture suiting the style. Fascinating flavours of apple/vanilla/oak/and earthy spices. Good resonance. This is one Unibroue that HAS aged well. Drinks fantastically! I wish I had a bottle to stash away even longer.

4.57/5  rDev +6.5%

Appearance: Golden yellow and white 3 finger head. Almost champagne like carbonation. Light lacing.

Smell: Yeasty, spices, pepper, lemons, oranges, and tropical fruits (pineapple?).

Taste: The yeast and spices provide the major flavors here, but they aren't overpowering as the fruits provide a wonderful balance. A nice alcohol warming.

Mouthfeel: Medium/full bodied. The carbonation provide a nice crisp feel.

Drinkability: This is one of my favorite BSPA. I wish I had more of these lying around.

3.71/5  rDev -13.5%

I've had this beer 5 years--I wasn't a BA when it came out, and I don't have any tasting notes, but I remember liking it a lot. Still pours beautifully, with an unusually clear (only slightly hazy) pale, bright golden color, with a beautiful head atop it. Aroma has faded. There are no hop notes any longer, but there is a musty grainy frutiness left. Flavor still remains rather yeasty--a little medicinal, with a tannic pear-skin-like flavor. Bitterness is low, and alcohol is quite apparent at the finish. Body remains full and spritzy.

I probably should have reviewed this a couple years back. It lacks the complexity I recall. Still alright, but not "interesting".

4.32/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

i think i got this at acme when the spot next door closed. it's been in my cellar (fridge)

it's a peachy light amber with some chill haze going on. the head was great at the pour and is still lookin pretty good. grainy pale malt aromas, with a subdued hop and some citrus. fruity: dried apricots

flavors are fruity (not quite apricots—tangerines? with some robust hop character. as the beers warms spices come to the fore: cinnamon, coriander

Ok guys...

I aged this bottle for 3 years, and drank it a year ago. I made the mistake of not writing a review right away. I opened it and shared it 50/50 with a buddy of mine at my college grad.

From what I remember, as a Belgian Strong Pale Ale style, The aroma was mind blowing, it had the perfect balance of citrus, fruits, and malt. I don't remember the small details, although I wish I did. Nothing was out of balance, and nothing was off. The mouth feel was heavenly, It was extremely smooth, slightly on the thick side, but it also had the famous Unibroue special edition fluffyness, that the Terrible also posesses. Again, can't say to much about the taste, except that it was more than I would have ever hoped for. It was incredibly refreshing!

In a nutshell, this belgian-style ale, put to shame all the Duvels, chimay's, St. Bernardus Triples, Piraat etc and all other Belgian/Belgian styles. Unibroue got it 100% right with the 10. Perfection for a "lighter" looking beer.

If anyone has any of these bottles lying around, I would be VERY interested in traiding for one.

Unibroue 10 from Unibroue