Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings!

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Added by kbub6f on 01-02-2002

Reviews: 100 | Ratings: 112
3.03/5  rDev -29%

A: The pour is a very light straw color with a minimal white head capping it.

S: The nose has a strong white wine aroma to it. You could also pick out some similarities to mead. Overall, it's just really sweet. A fair amount of alcohol along with some cork and cardboard oxidation.

T: Intensely sweet with more of that white wine and mead-like character. A pretty large yeast note and plenty of cardboard to it as well.

M: The body is medium with a low to medium level of carbonation.

D: Not surprisingly, this one is well on the way downhill. Not really worth drinking at this point.

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

Presentation: 750ml caged and corked. Not much else on the label. Very special tenth anniversary reserve. I do know that it was bottled back in 2002, and it is around 8 years old. The cork was quite easy to get going. About half way through the pull, I had contemplated if I needed to run over to the sink before I finished opening it, but before I could do that, the cork flew out with a satisfying pop, with a very slight fizzing in the bottle.

Appearance: Brilliantly clear golden yellow with a slight tinge of copper. A small white head struggles to form and fades quickly leaving little lacing.

Aroma: A lot of fruity esters, dominating with apples, with a malt sweetness in the background. The medicinal phenols shine through with a peppery finish and a very smooth and pleasant alcoholic warmth, just letting you know that this is packing 10% ABV.

Taste: A lot of medicinal phenols upfront with a slightly sweet malt flavor. A lot of fruity esters shine through again, a little more apple, and some citrus. It finishes with some peppery phenols. The alcohol in barely perceptible, but can feel the warmth the more you drink.

Mouthfeel: It is medium bodied, but finishes light and dry. The carbonation is lacking, but I'll take into consideration that the cork might have let out some CO2 over the past 8 years.

Notes: I probably should have drank this a few years ago. The spiciness and the complexity has faded a bit over time, but it has smoothed out even more since the last time I had this beer 3 years ago. The flavors are still remarkably in a nice balance, but it's lacking the "oompfh" it used to possess. Even at room temperature, it is very smooth, and the reduced level of carbonation makes it that much easier to drink.

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

WOW! what a foamy head, quite fizzy, As its been cellared for a while. Cloudy yellow-orange in color as I said a huge white foamy head, the lace clings to the side of the glass in layers. Nose is yeasty, citusy, fruity, and sweet, a great aroma to be sure. Start is sweet, the top light to medium, the finish is tart, well hopped, acidic, and the 10% abv warms the 'Belly'. Another winner in my books, a fine beginning to the Unibroue Series

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

Originally reviewed on July 6, 2006.

Pours a beautiful shining gold with a vibrant white head. The carbonation is vibrant and evident.

The aroma is heavy with citrus and malt. The taste is fruity with a strong flavor of apple and citrus. The alcohol lends a bite that leads to a warming finish.

The drinkability is nice due to a pleasant crispness. I would say this would be an excellent beer to replace a white wine at the dinner table.

3.7/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed on 12/17/08. Bottle found randomly in the back of the fridge of my local beer store! Seems to have been stored well...pours a cloudy light orange with a small white head. Aroma of sweet fruits, particularly apple, some light spices, and yeast. Flavor is mostly sweet with a touch of light fruits, lots of yeast with some bitterness, and a slight vegetal quality. Nice BSA although I suspect this has passed its peak. Still quite enjoyable though.
7/4/8/4/14 (3.7/5)

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

750 ml bottle in a snifter.

A - Bright yellow orange color with a thick white head.

S - Very strong fruit smells, some orange and lemon. A little malt sneaks past the fruit.

T - The fruit is not as strong as the smell but still very present. There is a strong spice flavor though. Very nice.

M - Light bodied with good carbonation.

D - Great beer, but what do you expect from Unibroue.

4.27/5  rDev 0%

Seeing this at a beer tasting was a complete surprise a couple weeks ago. I've been meaning to try it for a while now.

The beer is yellowish orange in color, little head, hazy, not much retention. The orange glow is nice and the murkiness is Belgian. Not much to say other than that.

The smell is fruity and spicy. Some apple and some tangy orange. Verry smooth aged malt smell as well. Im curious what this beer was when it was new.

The taste seems almost like a white ale to me. Theres plenty of spices, no hops, possibly some wheat, and lots of sweet aged malt. Very nice and very enjoyable. Surprisingly the carbonation is still there and active.

3.95/5  rDev -7.5%

I was happy to hear the pop of the cork when I opened the bottle. It's somewhat old, but quality and little cellar disturbance prevail. I bought this as a "freshie" and only moved once since. The new cellar is a bit more stable than the old one. The temps here vary from 55 to 65 throughout the year. The old cellar was actually the pantry and varied from 60 to 72. I've never had an ideal cave and I suppose that the lack of constancy and temps moving above 55 are contributors to accelerated aging, but this one has made it through.

The taste is "PUT TOGETHER" I really like a beer that is comfortable with itself. I mean that the components respect each other. This can happen with the initial choices a brewer makes and then it can happen in the bottle over time. Unibroue makes good beer,fresh and it's good to taste an aged special that has come to respect itself.(I have old friends that resemble this beer)

The beer has head. I see it in the bottle now. It's about 1/8" high. The glass has subsided to a respectable skim. It looks like a deep gold triple and has a slight tartness that balances the sweetness that immediately pursues it. The flavors are fruity and spicy and balanced. I can't pull flavors out of a taste as well as some, but mango is near here on the back of my tongue. There is enough tartness to generate a substantial saliva response. (Spit is serious.)
(My neice told me that Barbie is serious too.)

The appearance is beautifully clear. It is a very good example of the Belgian style. I feel that, in its maturity, it has become more that the initial offering. I have mixed feelings about cellaring. This beer keeps me putting good, bottle conditioned, 8% (and up) ABV examples away for later.

3.28/5  rDev -23.2%

Pale orange in color with very little carbonation to speak of. Not sure if this is due to its age or not-I was expecting more. Slightly fruity and yeasty-faint aroma of apricots. Somewhat sweet and malty flavor dominates. Whatever spiciness that was intended to be here is long gone but the flavor it reaching to say "spices". Rather bland with a spicy note to it. Body is ok-rather thin but not in a bad way. Way past its prime here. I am trying to think when I bought this-I hate to think it was the spring of 07 and this is still on the shelves. Should be in one's cellar and in the front of the shelf for sure.

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

This beer comes to me aged a full 7 years, thank you Harry!
Unibroue 10th Anniversary Special Reserve Ale.
750ml silk screened bottle, with classic Unibroue cork with the 'U" logo etched onto both the top and bottom of it.
Pours a very clouded appearance, a light yellow with marmalade orange highlights. Some head formed initially off the pour, but little would stay. A lovely bouquet (especially for something at its age) quite vibrant and fruity. Notes of over ripened fruits and a strong, fermented/mellowed Belgian malt bill. A surprisingly aggressive mouthfeel and lively flavour! Notes of pear and apple in particular, carbonation still on the level and texture suiting the style. Fascinating flavours of apple/vanilla/oak/and earthy spices. Good resonance. This is one Unibroue that HAS aged well. Drinks fantastically! I wish I had a bottle to stash away even longer.

4.57/5  rDev +7%

Appearance: Golden yellow and white 3 finger head. Almost champagne like carbonation. Light lacing.

Smell: Yeasty, spices, pepper, lemons, oranges, and tropical fruits (pineapple?).

Taste: The yeast and spices provide the major flavors here, but they aren't overpowering as the fruits provide a wonderful balance. A nice alcohol warming.

Mouthfeel: Medium/full bodied. The carbonation provide a nice crisp feel.

Drinkability: This is one of my favorite BSPA. I wish I had more of these lying around.

3.71/5  rDev -13.1%

I've had this beer 5 years--I wasn't a BA when it came out, and I don't have any tasting notes, but I remember liking it a lot. Still pours beautifully, with an unusually clear (only slightly hazy) pale, bright golden color, with a beautiful head atop it. Aroma has faded. There are no hop notes any longer, but there is a musty grainy frutiness left. Flavor still remains rather yeasty--a little medicinal, with a tannic pear-skin-like flavor. Bitterness is low, and alcohol is quite apparent at the finish. Body remains full and spritzy.

I probably should have reviewed this a couple years back. It lacks the complexity I recall. Still alright, but not "interesting".

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

i think i got this at acme when the spot next door closed. it's been in my cellar (fridge)

it's a peachy light amber with some chill haze going on. the head was great at the pour and is still lookin pretty good. grainy pale malt aromas, with a subdued hop and some citrus. fruity: dried apricots

flavors are fruity (not quite apricots—tangerines? with some robust hop character. as the beers warms spices come to the fore: cinnamon, coriander

Ok guys...

I aged this bottle for 3 years, and drank it a year ago. I made the mistake of not writing a review right away. I opened it and shared it 50/50 with a buddy of mine at my college grad.

From what I remember, as a Belgian Strong Pale Ale style, The aroma was mind blowing, it had the perfect balance of citrus, fruits, and malt. I don't remember the small details, although I wish I did. Nothing was out of balance, and nothing was off. The mouth feel was heavenly, It was extremely smooth, slightly on the thick side, but it also had the famous Unibroue special edition fluffyness, that the Terrible also posesses. Again, can't say to much about the taste, except that it was more than I would have ever hoped for. It was incredibly refreshing!

In a nutshell, this belgian-style ale, put to shame all the Duvels, chimay's, St. Bernardus Triples, Piraat etc and all other Belgian/Belgian styles. Unibroue got it 100% right with the 10. Perfection for a "lighter" looking beer.

If anyone has any of these bottles lying around, I would be VERY interested in traiding for one.

3.31/5  rDev -22.5%

Appearance - slightly hazed yellow/gold color. A watery finger of foam manages a solid cover thanks to a major league bead effort in the glass.

Aroma - grassy, very earthy, a slight funkiness, portends of those sours styled beers. I like the smell more than I used to but it still ain't one of my favorites. Good resilience and intensity beyond the first few moments.

Taste - hey, this ain't too bad! I am sensitive to that funky style, but this is a mellowed funkiness, not sour, and has been sweetened up front with Belgian candi sugar. Alcohol vapors on the swallow, but not as warming as you might expect. As it warms the alcohol becomes more pronounced and a bit direct, but it isn't offensive. This pushes the limit for me with that funky flavor as far as what I classify as enjoyable. This is right on the fringe but I can say that I do like it.

Mouthfeel - champagne quality carbonation. Very gassy and crisp.

Drinkability - unless I knew I was going to be sharing this with someone who enjoyed this style, I wouldn't buy this again, it's just as well that it's a one-off.

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

Popped open this four year old sample after a few disappointing swings at Unibroue pitches. I figured I would fall back on what I know to be of reputable Unibroue quality.

Sports a golden apricot hue with a touch of caramel highlights. A healthy bead feeds the delicate ring of lace that was left behind when the white head of meringue like foam receeded somewhat too quickly into the cloudy brew.

The aromas are as delicate as the ring of lace, after four years of aging. Gentle notes of vanilla and madeira develop up front and are framed by hints of pineapple and yeasty spice. An earthy pepperiness surfaces near the end and adds an interesting element to the complex of aromas, making the olfactory experience a good one.

As I expected, the flavours are very well blended and harmonized. It is increasingly difficult as a beer gains in age to be able to easily break it down into its different flavour components. What dominates this sample is a tight blend of tropical fruit, malty sweetness and a stone dry mineral quality ensnared in a gentle alcohol bite. None of the flavours really stand out individually and the whole is not as voluminous as that of a young sample.

I found the aged 10 to be much more pleasant than a fresh sample in the sense that the harmony gained with time rendered it pleasantly drinkable. The complexities develop slowly and subtly which makes this cellared sample a welcome challenge in this age of bold brews.

Santé

4.59/5  rDev +7.5%

Yum effing city!

Pours a golden orange with very slight haze. No head, but he colour is quite remarkable.

Notes of orange and spice in the nose. A slight sweeness is also present. This beer smells goood. My roommate gets apples in the taste, but I really only taste a slight apple sourness in the beginning which melts into what I can only describe as a golden yeasty taste. Oranges, a slight sweetness and this awesome bitterness which coats the tongue and really does taste like orange peel. It's not so strong that it overwhelms the palate, but it really stands out amongst the other flavors. Slight grassiness, lingering honey in the aftertaste on the tongue. Yum Yum. Carbonation is good, presenting itself shorty after sipping so as to not get in the way. Funny that, beer being carbonated. I wonder who thought of that. Perhaps it happened as a result of it being stored in kegs, but when why wouldn't wine have been carbonated?

So. Mouthfeel is good and drinkability? Well, amongst your non-Belgian Belgians, it's really good, and quite drinkable. Make it a night of U10. Then again, you probably can't. Haha. Of course, this was my only bottle, having been cellared by me since late 03!

Overall. Good. Am gonna have fun finishing the bottle and the dregs...

4.88/5  rDev +14.3%

10/11/05- Received via a trade with Jetsbeer.

Presentation- 750ml bottle which was caged and corked. Pretty sure this bad boy came out in 2002, which makes it at least 3 years old. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Golden and a bit cloudy of a pour. 1/2 inch head which soon disipates, leaving behind very little lace. The only bad part about this brew.

Smell- One of the best beers I have ever set my nose to ever. Just a minor whiff of alcohol, but mainly lots of sweet fruit scents. Maybe a touch of clove and cinnimon as well. Other spices and pepper finish it off.

Taste- Yummy! Orange and lemon rind are the two key flavors that I sensed. Maybe even some tropical fruits like mango or something. Has a nice sugary sweetness also. Maybe a slight touch of caramel as well.

Mouthfeel- Nice sweet sugary mouthcoating with a medium carbonation. Very soft and smooth.

Drinkability- One of my favorite beers that I have tried. Will have to see if I can do a future trade for this guy. Fantastic! Thanks much Jetsbeer for the sample....

4.52/5  rDev +5.9%

25.4 oz. bottle, corked and caged. Picked this up in Connecticut a couple of years ago.

Appearance: This beer poured a golden-orange color with only the slightest haze in the first glass that was carefully decanted. Later pourings became cloudier due to the yeast. The head was coarse and fizzy, flashing away very quickly. A very heavy bead rose up through the liquid and created some lingering patches of bubbles.

Smell: Heavy on the apples right after the pour. They died down after awhile, but the aroma continued to be very fruity. Light yeast complimented the fruit, along with some musty wood. There were hints of hops underneath.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy in the mouth with a coating effect. Not what I was expecting and a pleasant surprise.

Taste: Sweet apples, grapes, and pears were present on the tip of the tongue. Juicy oak and vanilla hovered underneath. A light herbal hops arose in the middle and balanced things out nicely. Then, just the right amount of spicy alcohol and yeast rounded things off on the finish.

I've had this bottle for a long time and have never been able to bring myself to open it. It was the only one that I had and I know I will never see another. I can't begin to express how happy I was to hear that cork pop when it was removed! Anyway, this beer lived up to my expectations. I didn't bowl me over, but it was perfectly balanced and an almost perfect example of the style, in my opinion. Just terrific. Worth the wait, but I wish I had a cellar full of 'em.

I have poured this into a large tulip. It is a very light golden color. The resounding POP of the cork has relieved all of my fears regarding the cork. The nose is of yeasty spicey flavors.

The flavor is outstanding! Upfront are the earthy spices. In the middle comes the yeast, wich adds a slight mustiness. At the finish, there is sweet, sweet honey. This is still a dry beer, though.
The mouthfeel is world class as well. The seemingly huge carbonation is actually quite soft, and for such a heavy, complex flavor, the beer feels kind of light on the palate. If only I had another sample. Better yet, dozens of samples! Ahh...another pipe dream.

I hope that the Edition 2004 turns out this well. I only deduct a half point from appearance because of the unsettled yeast.

I am un-deducting that half point on appearance. The second and last pour, the chunkier pour, has a more fruity, slightly funky flavor. Bravo.

4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

Yeasty aroma, yeasty taste, yeast floating on attractive white wine like appearance. Bottled february 2002, so 3 years and a bit to let the yeast calm down. Spicey backbone, like a Golden. Malt not prominent. Carbonation still kicking. Good Belgian style.

Picked up in a trade with meathookjones. Thank you.

This has a solid rocky head over a gorgeous golden peach, almost looks still though. Nose is powdered sugar covered rum soaked orange peels. Taste starts with that sugary sweetness followed by a peppery orange rind bite. Heavier body than a Duvel, and a rough long finish that is oh so dry. Tasty. Rare these days. Recommended.

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

Wow. I may have had this a few years ago, but that's before I joined BA, or maybe just before I felt like reviewing it. However, I am sitting here on a Friday evening, alone, waiting to go out with some friends, and decided now is the time to pop the cork on this baby, which has been sitting in the back of the fridge for a while...

750mL, corked/caged... 03/03/2002 date on the back. Looks intimidating in the bottle, with its sparse gold lettering, but once poured, it becomes quite the friendly Quebec-Belgian beer. It pours out a lovely golden colour, hazy, and when held up to the light almost looks like a sunset, pale yellows fading to a deeper orangey-gold, with a cloud-like white fluffy head that slowly dissapates into just the thinnest half-layer of bubbles inside a halo. Aroma is fantastic! Fresh apples, freshly ground cinnamon, a squeeze of lemon perhaps.. this smells fresh and fruity. I got really excited about it just smelling it, because I knew I'd be able to handle the whole bottle on my own. Taste is just about as amazing as the smell- my Grandma's apple pie, that is pretty much it. Tart apple taste, with that dry apple finish, combined with a spicy-sweetness somewhere in the middle, along with a gooey-sugary-doughy (yeasty?) taste, like the bottom of an apple pie (the inner crust I suppose?). Definitely a dry aftertaste that makes you want more... God this is tasty! Mouthfeel is not as thick as an apple pie, which is a good thing- no, it's well-carbonated but leaves a creamy feeling on your tongue after swallowing. If not for the carbonation it would be too much. Drinkability is awesome, it's 10% ABV but masked EXTREMELY well, I know I will make it through this bottle and proceed to go out with friends to probably either drink Bass from a bottle or fall asleep in a chair somewhere. Yes, the dry/tartness cuts the fruity sweetness just perfectly, that there is no extreme taste or feeling, so I just can't get enough! I will probably go buy another of these if there are any left at my local beer store that sells singles, as there should be, since I only bought this about 2 months ago. And to think, after I bought it I worried that maybe this wasn't one of the good U's! Wrong- it's absolutely Amazing!! Overall - Highly Recommended!!! :)

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

Sampled from the usual corked and caged 750ml bottle. After the big pop of the cork this poured out a fairly clear golden yellow with plenty of streaming bubbles feeding the head. The good sized white fluffy head stuck around for a while leaving scatterings of lace. Various fruity notes such as apples and pears mixed with a light spiciness to form a very nice aroma. Also noticeable was the yeastiness and doughy notes. Pretty strong aroma overall. Sweet fruits and a peppery light spiciness started the flavor off. Yeasty/doughy flavor was pretty strong and other spices showed through as well. Some coriander and orange peel most likely. Spicy dry finish. Feel is medium with a body lively with carbonation. Clean and crisp going down. Easy drinking with quite a bit of complexity going on. Definitely a good one to try for everyone especially Belgian fans.

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

Bottle Inspection: Corked and caged, this bottle has patiently waited for the special day of its opening. Turned out it was a Tuesday. Lists 10% abv and 750 ml.

Aroma: Fresh fruit, banana and pineapple, and a good dose of the Unibroue yeast strain. Smells like a Tripel.

Appearance: Slow rising carbonation streams work their way through a very clear golden Chimay goblet, passed by larger more inpatient bubbles that rise with a purpose. The goblet holds a collar, but the large bubbled white head died quickly as a soda. The beer looks like it’s frozen, although it’s at perfect cellar temperature.

Flavor: The Unibroue yeast takes center stage. The aroma forecast the taste well, the fruit is a bit muted and a firm bitter and yeast accent balance the taste. Slightly vinous with some white wine characteristics.

Mouthfeel: Light body and an airy feel. The firm carbonation manages not to be fizzy and the beer evaporates to a dry finish, but lets the taste linger.

Overall Impression: This bottle as aged wonderfully. I worried about the cork while pulling it, but all was well. This beer is a great celebration of a world class brewery. Easy to drink, but given the limited nature of this joy, it’s one to treasure. If you see a dusty bottle somewhere. Quietly pick up as many as you see, and pay what ever they ask. I paid $7.49 at Hall’s in DFW, and it’s the best money I’ve spend in quite a while.

Unibroue 10 from Unibroue