Trois Pistoles | Unibroue

Bottle to Goblet
12 oz

Best before 8/11/14
Purchased a single bottle from Total Wine, Brea, CA

App- The rich mixed browns of a mahogany stain in a glass. A bit lighter towards the bottom allowing more light to shine through. A good 1-1/2" finger head starts and falls to a perfect layer of off white pond cover. No cling or lace on this.

Smell- The yeast strain that Unibroue uses is one of my favorites. Assertive, dominant, fuzzy and bubbly. Add the spices of the brew and it creates a very good aromtic blend which in turn is one of the better in the style.

Taste- The blend for Unibroue must be hard to resist straight from the fermenter. This beer is a sneaky little thing at 9% with a delicate balance of spice, yeast and a very small small bitter note. The spices are not overbearing in anyway for me, but I could see how some with think a large 750 of this would be too much.

Mouth- A bubbly and fizzy medium body with a lot of residual spice and a little bit of dark fruits, pressed cherry skins and a little plum. The carbonation is pretty spot on. Could dial it down just a notch.

Drink- I've had many a Unibroue beer and I can say I like their dark offerings better. The balance of malts, fruit, yeast and bitter is one of my favorites. I'll always come back to Unibroue.

2.85/5  rDev -32.1%

This beer was a disappointment to me for a variety of reasons. I really love the Unibroue brewery and every other beer I've had from them thus far, so its safe to say I was pumped up to try Trois Pistoles when it found its way into our beer store.

It poured great, a dark red/brown color and headed up wonderfully.

The smell was very sweet and extremely fruity.

However, once I tasted it my excitement ended. In my opinion this tastes like an overspiced christmas ale. The spices absolutely cover the taste of the beer. One of the few beers I've been unable to finish.

It was very thick in the mouth and in combination with the taste, was very un-enjoyable.

Overall, I'm sure this beer will have a following, but I am afraid that I will not be counted in it.

Serving Type: Bottle