Trois Pistoles | Unibroue

Alströms:
4.5

Ratings: 4,975 |  Reviews: 2,034

3.42/5  rDev -19.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Pours a dark garnet color that looks like it has some purple or violet in it too. It has a thin, light brown colored head that fades to a thin ring very quickly. It is somewhat cloudy, but bits of light come through here and there.

S: Dark fruits (prunes and dates) and belgian yeast are the main players. Some alcoholic spiciness, dark malts, and belgian sugars come through as well. There are also some noticeable phenolic aromas, creating a slight medicinal smell.

T: Very similar to the aroma with strong dark fruits consisting of plums and dates. I'm getting more of the medicinal phenols in the taste than in the aroma, which I don't really care for. I'd like to see more dark malts and spiciness come through, but they take a back seat here.

M: It is medium bodied with a carbonation level that is on the high end. For the high ABV, the alcohol is barely noticeable, which makes it quite drinkable.

O: I really enjoy Unibroue's offerings, but this one seemed a bit off. I wasn't a fan of the big medicinal and phenol attributes. With some cleaning up, this could be a great beer. As is though, it is just an average BSDA.

4.03/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a tulip, best before 5-26-14. This pours a nice dark brown color, almost black with a massive light tan head. The smell is of rich malts, lots of dark ripe fruits. Feel is medium to light with very high carbonation. The taste is of the same, lots of sweet dark fruit, a little alcohol taste is obvious, this would probably be better with a little age.

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

978th Review on BA
Bottle to Goblet
12 oz

Best before 8/11/14
Purchased a single bottle from Total Wine, Brea, CA

App- The rich mixed browns of a mahogany stain in a glass. A bit lighter towards the bottom allowing more light to shine through. A good 1-1/2" finger head starts and falls to a perfect layer of off white pond cover. No cling or lace on this.

Smell- The yeast strain that Unibroue uses is one of my favorites. Assertive, dominant, fuzzy and bubbly. Add the spices of the brew and it creates a very good aromtic blend which in turn is one of the better in the style.

Taste- The blend for Unibroue must be hard to resist straight from the fermenter. This beer is a sneaky little thing at 9% with a delicate balance of spice, yeast and a very small small bitter note. The spices are not overbearing in anyway for me, but I could see how some with think a large 750 of this would be too much.

Mouth- A bubbly and fizzy medium body with a lot of residual spice and a little bit of dark fruits, pressed cherry skins and a little plum. The carbonation is pretty spot on. Could dial it down just a notch.

Drink- I've had many a Unibroue beer and I can say I like their dark offerings better. The balance of malts, fruit, yeast and bitter is one of my favorites. I'll always come back to Unibroue.

2.85/5  rDev -32.6%

This beer was a disappointment to me for a variety of reasons. I really love the Unibroue brewery and every other beer I've had from them thus far, so its safe to say I was pumped up to try Trois Pistoles when it found its way into our beer store.

It poured great, a dark red/brown color and headed up wonderfully.

The smell was very sweet and extremely fruity.

However, once I tasted it my excitement ended. In my opinion this tastes like an overspiced christmas ale. The spices absolutely cover the taste of the beer. One of the few beers I've been unable to finish.

It was very thick in the mouth and in combination with the taste, was very un-enjoyable.

Overall, I'm sure this beer will have a following, but I am afraid that I will not be counted in it.

Serving Type: Bottle