Trois Pistoles | Unibroue

#855
4.5

Ratings: 4,982 |  Reviews: 2,036
3.79/5  rDev -10.4%

Unibroue Trois Pistoles is a good Belgian Strong Dark Ale with a few problems.

A: Brown colour and a huge 4 cm head that lasts. 5

S: Smells of Belgian yeast with a hint of cloves and some... soapiness? 3.5

T: Sweet, dark malty flavour with some raisin-like flavours. The aftertaste is roasty with some alcohol flavour. 4

M: Soapy.

O: Maybe it was my glass, but this beer hint a faint soapiness to it that I didn't like. 3.5

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: It pours a very dark brown colour with a two finger brown head

S: It has a very yeasty and malty smell; however, some fruits are also present

T: The malts are very strong at first, and then fruits take over. It tastes like grapes are the strongest but not dominant. It goes down very smooth and leaves a dry, bitter aftertaste

M: This has a heavy body with average amounts of carbonation.

O: This is pretty good, as expected since it is brewed by Unibroue. It is quite unique tasting and I will definitely buy it again, but it isn’t quite as good as its brother, La Fin Du Monde.

3.88/5  rDev -8.3%

A: 1" tan coloured head which dissipated over 3 minutes over top of dark brown liquid.

S: Very yeasty smelling.

T: Bitter, yeast, some malt, maybe a touch of red grapes.

M: Very nice mouthfeel, high level of fine carbonation and thick viscosity.

O: A good interpretation of a Belgian Strong Dark Ale, but not as good as the ones from the old country.

Edit: I drank this from a 750 mL bottle and the last 250 ML or so is just magical. If only the whole beer was this smooth, thick, and tasty it would be an A+ and be better than Chimay Blue overall.

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

I burned out on Unibroue pretty severely after moving to British Columbia, but I'm always up for a Trois Pistoles now and then. The typically cheap-tasting Unibroue notes are well masked in this one, simply because it's so sweet, but you do need to be careful about the temperature it's served at; I've had this turn syrupy on me without warning more than once.

It seems that everyone knows these guys for La Fin Du Monde, but there are plenty of better blonde tripels out there. This one is relatively unique.

4.43/5  rDev +4.7%

355 mL bottle poured into Sierra Nevada 30th Anny snifter.

A: Great appearance on this one, Dark ruby red/brown, opaque and 2 fingers of a solid khaki head on it. Viscous bubbles are rising through the head, and carbonation is very visible from the bottom of the glass. Head retention is excellent. Just a beautiful looking beer.

S: Smell at first is overwhelmingly dark fruits, such as raisins and figs or cherries, behind it, is a caramel and toffee malt presence. Perhaps some lighter fruits like apple or white grapes. Not the greatest, but as it warms improves a bit.

T: Wow, just a great tasting beer. At the forefront of the tongue is sweet dark fruits just like the smell, as it moves to the back, candy, fruits cross your palate, and there is an almost metallic taste as well. Aftertaste lingers on very sweet. I've never had port wine, but the bottle claims that this is similar to it.

M: The mouthfeel is creamy and silken, as it rushes across your palate with medium body and light-medium carbonation. Just a treat to have in your mouth. So smooth and tasty. Extremely drinkable.

O: Overall, just an amazing beer. For the price, I dont know of a better Belgian style beer. Stimulates your tongue and tastebuds with its amazing mouthfeel and flavors. Highly recommended.

4.07/5  rDev -3.8%

A nice and rich take on a Belgium Strong Dark Ale.

Presentation: 12 oz brown foiled and screw capped bottle. Front oval label framed in silver with the name of the brew and an ominous illustration of the winged horse flying over the church of Trois Pistoles representing the legend that names the brew. Back offers notes with general description of the brew, serving suggestions, best by date (12-22-13), and shows 9% Alc. by Vol. Served in a tulip glass.

A - Deep brown pour with ruby edges, rich frothy head, rather fizzy, moderate retention, short surface memory and minimal lacing.

S - The initial fruity yeast touch is long and reaches far away from the glass. A malty and fruity nose settles rather nicely. Figs, prunes.. Unfermented sugar..

T - Nice long palate, sweet and malty full of fruit touches. Ripe dark and dried fruit in the range, unfermented sugar... Light spicy touch in the tongue as it finishes.

M - Medium body with quickly settling medium carbonation offering a good finishing tingly sense.

O - Nice flow, rich and stimulating, a solid standard from Unibroue.

Notes: Long time since I had a Trois Pistoles. It was one of those that I bumped into years ago when I was expanding my interest in craft brewing and for some reason or another it faded away from the radar. This try rediscovers a brew richer than what I had stored in memory, maybe it is not for the ages, but it is quite pleasing and solid all around.

4.21/5  rDev -0.5%

12 oz bottle with best by date of 9/3/11

Pours a dark purple color reminiscent of a very dark red wine. pours with basically no head despite a decently aggressive pour. Lots of carbonation bubbles visible in the bottom of my Chimay goblet. Aroma is incredibly fruity, almost like juice and hardly reminiscent of beer. The taste is sweet and also fruity. Very good actually and not what I expected. It's light bodied and lively. Overall, this drinks very nicely. Reminds me a lot of what I liked about BSDA's when I first tried them and was introduced to what belgian beer can be all about. Classic taste. It's hard to tell how much age has improved this beer since it's been at least two years since I've had its mates and I did not take notes, but I can't imagine it hurt. i don't remember liking this one as much as I do now.

3.88/5  rDev -8.3%

Had this on tap last Friday on my last day in Hawaii at The Yardhouse.

A- Poured a murky brown with cherry cola highlights. About a finger tan head that mutated into a ring that attached to the glass throughout intake. Hardly any lacing.

S- Smell of raisins and molasses, perhaps some banana.

T- The taste was sweet upon first sip. Figs and Belgian yeast characteristics are there. Slight alcohol heat at the finish compliments the flavors.

M- This was medium bodied with a decent amount of carbonation. Easy drinking.

O- I've been into Belgian's lately and this beer is only steering me further away from the stouts that I love. This will be my go to beer whenever I go to The Yardhouse.

3.92/5  rDev -7.3%

750 ml bottle poured into Allagash chalice.

A: pours a cherry-brown with cola-like highlights. 2-finger off-white head settles into a thin, oily surface with a 2mm ring of foam clinging to the sides of the glass. Leaves no lacing.

S: Belgian yeast, bananas, spice. A hint of dark stone fruit in the center, followed by apple and licorice.

T: Strong, juicy dark fruits up front, followed by Belgian yeast, brown sugar and sweet malts. Finishes with notes of licorice and semi-sweet chocolate; somewhat sour in the tail-end, with a touch of alcohol as well.

M: Medium-high carbonation. Very "sharp" as many BSDA-style beers tend to be. Doesn't cream up quite the way it should though, and drinks somewhat thin for the style.

O: At $6.99/750 ml bottle, Trois Pistoles is a very well put together BDSA. Nicely balanced and quite juicy on the tongue, this would match up nicely with grilled or roasted meats. Not sure it's my favorite from Unibroue, but it's up there.

A very worthwhile, reasonably priced BDSA.

It’s black… which immediately makes me think this is going to be a stout, or something similar. But the nose is more that of an ale. This is a Belgian strong ale, after all. (I still haven’t figured the difference between a regular ale and strong ale.) I do like that a lot of the beers we are drinking have a Belgian influence. Perhaps when we finish this project, we will take a trip to Belgium.

The beer isn’t very carbonated. It is actually quite smooth. There is an instant rush of sweetness, and a smooth dark aftertaste. But the aftertaste doesn’t stick around for long. It feels heavy on the tongue though. I am sure that is the 9% ABV. The head on this beer is pretty weak too. But after one drink… I find myself wanting a second almost immediately. The aftertaste leaves so quickly I want to see what else there is for my palate.

I worry that if this beer was easily accessible, it would get me in a lot of trouble. It doesn’t drink like a 9%. It’s so smooth. I like that though, as it allows me to drink a lot casually. That’s what this is… a casual beer. Imagine toasting with this at any given graduation, wedding, or funeral. (People drink at funerals, right?)

I like it… but I am not in love with it. It’s good, I would buy it again, but the most important part about this beer is the story. I mean, who wouldn’t be intrigued to drink a beer that was produced with a story about a devilish black steed? Just look at the bottle… creeps me out!

Bottoms up people!

4.28/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

a-poured from the bottle into a pint glass. Pours a deep reddish brown with a 1" white head that fades fairly quickly. beer seems very cloudy and there seems to be quite a bit of carbonation

s-smells fruity and sweet with some yeast and malt. definitely on par with the style

t-candied sugars and yeast initially. the fruits seem to follow at the end with a sort of dry raisin or possibly cherry. very tasty

m-the drinkablity is very good considering the 9% abv. very highly carbonated though. body is nice but not huge

overall, another great brew from Unibroue. For the price, I dont know if I can find any belgian style ales. I think I prefer the Maudite over this one, but it changes every time I try it

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

A - poured a one finger head from a 341ml bottle into a large wine glass - dissipated quickly with thin lacing - able to regenerate the head with a quick swirl - loads of carbonation - could have made it a three finger head - beautiful dark chestnut colour - caramel coloured head

S - dark fruit, vsnilla, light banana and cloves, sweet malt, floral - got better as it warmed while I sipped it on the front porch

T - dark fruit (grapes) and banana up front with the malt coming after - belgian yeast, slightly boozy (but nice) - a little bitter in the after taste - exceptional really

M - lots of carbonation, medium bodied, only slight bite, warming alcohol, a little silky

O - I really do love this beer and I think I prefer it slightly to the Maudite (splitting hairs) - I would give it all fives but I am not going to make that call until I have had some of the highest rated beers to compare

3.73/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured a deep brown amber color with a three finger head.
Smelled sort of light and with vanilla and caramel notes.
Tasted caramel a little banana but not unpleasant maybe a bit of cream
Felt really really smooth barely taste the alcohol
A very well made beer. A little cleaner than Raison. After drinking this for a little while all I could taste was banana. A little annoyed that I picked up on that.

4.12/5  rDev -2.6%

A-pours a purply brown color with a nice 2 finger head

S- Has hint of dark fruits and yeast and maybe even come carmel

T-has a dry fruity taste to it with a nice sweetness in the middle and finishs with a dry fruity floral taste

M-Medium bodied with good carbonation

D-Overall this was very good. might be alittle dry for some but overall this was very good. will get again

2.26/5  rDev -46.6%

Best by: 10/11/2013

A: pours a hazy dark brown with a single finger of loose peanut foam which dissipates nearly immediately to a broken and struggling to retain it's presence. Little lacing.

S: smells like latex paint. There are some hints of coriander and dark, sweet malts. Overall, the yeast dominates as it does in the majority of Unibroue beers.

T: Man, I've tried the lineup of Unibroue beers many times. I keep hoping I will 'get it'. The beer is sweet, yeasty, chemical, just plain difficult to drink for me.

M: Medium body with high carbonation. Dry finish.

O: Sorry guys, I just can't get on board with this one.

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%

Deeply red-brown, with a large head. Heavy on the carbonation. Oddly, no lace present.

Nose is dark fruit, wine grapes, raisins, spice. Good.

Tastes similar. Heavy-bodied, thick, elements of dark fruit and definitely a complex, wine-like grape character.

Quite delicious, and a standout, for sure.

4.15/5  rDev -1.9%

A - Murky, dark brown with abundant head. Can't be too aggressive with the pour or you'll be waiting a while.

S - Potent dark fruits, bread, yeast.

T - As it smells, but not quite as intense. Not as abundant of sweet fruit character on the finish as I would have hoped.

M - On the lighter side of medium body with plenty of carbonation.

O - Not my absolute favorite BSDA, but the value and availability cannot be overlooked. I certainly will not hesitate to spend another lovely evening with one.

4.85/5  rDev +14.7%

1pt 9oz bottle into glass mug.

Aroma: Malts, dark bread, and caramel.

Appearance: Dark amber deceivingly simple, with light lacing.

Flavor: Spicy, carmel malt, rasins.

Mouthfeel: Crisp carbonation. But mellowing and becoming a smooth dessert.

Overall: A very good ale. One of my favorite beers. Decievingly alcoholic, I suddenly feel warm on my ears.. very easy to drink a whole large bottle in a sitting.

3.92/5  rDev -7.3%

Deep chestnut brown with lighter chestnut highlights. Small beige head that dissipated quickly. No lace.

Sweet rich roasted malts with some caramel. Dark fruity figs and dates. Some apple ester.

Dark fruity dates and figs bathed in caramel and spices. Fruity roasty coffee. Herbal bitterness.

Medium body with some thickness, but overall less full than I'd like. Crisp moderately high carbonation is refreshing.

Very crisp and drinkable for a 9%, which was also well hidden. Nice and tasty, but I'd prefer a fuller one. this one is above average, but nothing stellar.

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle from the Unibroue Taster Pack. Poured into a Maudite snifter...

A: Pours a deep, molasses brown / black; tea-like on the edges, with a creamy, 1 inch almond head that shows some great retention and leaves a little lace.

S: Raisiny; molasses; ripe plum; some black cherry tartness along with some tannin notes that become more noticeable as the brew warms; maybe a scant hint of cocoa powder; just a small touch of alcohol on the nose, too.

T: Sweet, dark bread; figgy sweetness, too; dark fruit; a light, dry bitter on the finish; delicious.

M: Medium-full bodied, with a high carbonation; velvety and smooth. Wow.

O: Probably my favorite Unibroue ale... which is saying a lot. Its an interesting, enjoyable beer. Very drinkable. Complex without being over the top. 9%??!! Hard to believe -

3.92/5  rDev -7.3%

A - Pours a deep, dark brown with some cloudiness and few highlights when held up to the light. Yields two fingers of white head that fades quickly to about a quarter inch.

S - Smells slightly of toasted barley but there is most definitely a strong fruity/boozy aroma evident as well. Minute amounts of floral hops are present too.

T - Sweet and malty up front with subtle bitterness and an interesting tang toward the finish. A spicy alcohol bitterness is also present. Aftertaste of brown bread and honey.

M - Slightly thin and watery, but with adequate carbonation. Has a sweet finish that leaves the mouth feeling sticky.

3.92/5  rDev -7.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

A - dark mahogany, almost black. One finger width head, disipates quickly, leaves a small collar. Looks to be about standard for the style.

S - Belgian yeast, bread, and dark raisins. Other fruit in there as well, but I can't pick it all out. No strong alcohol aroma though, which I like.

T - similar to the nose profile - yeasty/bready w/ some malt in the mix. Dark fruit abounds in the background along w/ some nice spiciness.

M - medium bodied, not as full as I had expected. Fair amount of carbonation.

O - overall, very nice. Not as good as a Rochefort or St. Bernardus but definitely delicious and can also be had for a very fair price considering the high quality.

2.29/5  rDev -45.9%

Poured into a tulip. Pours a pretty dark and bold brown with a white head that disappears in a hurry. The scent is strong of fruits and spices. It also gives you the hint that it'll have a strong alcohol flavor. The taste is of strong spiciness, alcohol and some fruity sweetness. A combination that was hot, boozy and just didn't work at all for me. The mouthfeel was medium with more carbonation than I expect from this style. I typically really enjoy BSDAs and Quads but this is not one that I would recommend to my friends.

4.21/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle -- "best by 7-14-12" -- served in a pint glass.

Pours a hazy dark brown with orange highlights, and a surprisingly fizzy head like a soda. Like a soda the head dies to nothing rather quickly even though there is visible bubbling.

Complex aroma of ripe and dark fruits, bread, toasted malt, port wine and spices. Interesting, but I'm not sure what this will taste like. Alcohol becomes more evident with warning.

Taste - the flavor components one would infer from my description of the aroma are all there, yet the flavor is a bit different than I expected. More and richer malt flavor for one thing. More subtle spiciness for another. Not as bold or enticing as the premier Belgian counterparts (e.g., Rochefort 8), but a fine balanced brew that avoids the over-spicing or imbalance that too often characterize Belgian style ales. Enjoyable and lingering aftertaste with a striking dark fruit flavor. High ABV partially hidden.

M - medium body, a bit thin for style) and medium-high carbonation. Bordering on 3.5.

O - foreboding appearance (would look like a Coca-Cola in an opaque glass!) dampened my high expectations, but the exceptional aroma and flavor make this easy to recommend.

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

Review from notes. Had at Half Full in Lewes, DE.

A: Poured a hazy purple/brown color with a small egg colored head with nice retention. Decent lacing left on the sides. Some small bubbles at the top as well.

S: Very fruity. Lots of grapes and raisins with some plums and black currants hints as well. Some spicy yeast and a little bit of caramel round it out.

T: The same fruits from the nose come forward on the flavor profile. Lots of grape and raisins, some caramel and belgian yeast. There is also a little bit of bruised apple, vanilla, and a little bit of booze.

M: Medium bodied with a good bit of carbonation, somewhat prickly from the bubbles. A very sweet beer that hides the alcohol pretty well.

O: Pretty good beer that can be purchased at a relatively low price. Tastes similar to red wine in some ways actually. Extremely drinkable.

Trois Pistoles from Unibroue