Trois Pistoles | Unibroue

Added by Todd on 10-31-2000

4.2

Reviews: 1,991 | Ratings: 4,847
4.91/5  rDev +16.9%

It's a beauty, eh. A Canadian beer with a great, complex flavor without being too heavy. We split a big bottle between four of us. One guy noted a citrus flavor, I thought of walnuts. There's alot going on here. 9% abv, but you wouldn't know it, because the of the wonderful flavors, the high alcohol content is hardly noticable. It is highly recommended.

4.9/5  rDev +16.7%

Sampled from a 12 oz bottle.

Poured a cloudy, dark, amber brown with a huge light beige head that left fair lacing.

Aromas of perfume, fruit, malt, and yeast. Smelled absolutely heavenly. The nose pulls you in. My fiancee smell the glass and wouldn't hand it back.

The taste is just as good if not better than the smell. Fruit, yeast, malt, and candy. Incredibly smooth and creamy, very little to no carbonation and a little light on the mouth. Goes down way to smooth and to fast. This is the best of the Unibroue line IMHO.

To quote my fiancee, "This is the best beer I've even had." I don't know if its the best but definately in the top 10.

4.9/5  rDev +16.7%

I'll try not to be too giddy over this beer, but damn it's so good.
The first time I tried it was an accidental pairing with a cajun bleu cheese burger in Coralville, IA, and I've been hooked ever since.

I'm not sure there is a better beer at hiding the ample alcohol content found in Trois.
From start to finish it's impossible to find a flaw in this beer's characteristics. Distinct notes of plum and a satisfying body allow this beer to be drank with multiple foods, but I'll always remember my first time as the best.

4.9/5  rDev +16.7%

Pours dark crimson amber with immediate smell of sweet black currents and uncured olives in a frothy, foamy, carpeting head that dwindles down but never disappears leaving a sticky imaginative lace. Tastes of rich anise, black pepper, mushrooms, and earth. Deep finish is lightly bitter and exceptionally dry.

Smooth like a sharkskin, just don't rub it the wrong way.

4.89/5  rDev +16.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a snifter. The usual cool Unibroue artwork on the front label and a best by date (2-10-12) on the back label. Was a dark brown color with ruby edges. Had an averaged sized fizzy tan head that dissipated into a thin collar. Some carb streams but no lacing.

The aroma was amazing. Been at least 5 years since I last had this one and I had forgotten how great it smelled. Sweet fruit, spicy yeast and sweet malt with no real alcohol presence. I enjoyed that this one realized more on a banana and pear fruit than the dark fruit and raisin of most BSDA's. The spice also offset the sweetness perfectly. The taste was amazing as well and really followed the aroma. Spicy and fruity with a great balance and again no alcohol even though 9%. Very reminiscent of a great weizenbock. Mouthfeel had medium body with smooth finish. Good carb levels.

Overall, an exceptional beer. BSDA is a hit or miss style from me but this one knocked it out of the park. For me, this is the best BSDA by far. Outstanding. Rotation: avail here. Now that I've rediscovered it this one will be in the regular rotation.

4.89/5  rDev +16.4%

I bought this one and have held on to it for maybe 3-4 months before drinking

A- nice red brown color - pretty cloudy with lots of yeast flakes floating around. I got a big head on a light pour- looks like this thing has a ton of carbonation. Head settled to a nice 1/2 finger thick head quickly...

S- Very fruity maybe apples and pear or grapes with some floral tones- suprisingly no hints of the alcohol in the smell, which i was expecting with a 9% brew.

T- Quite sweet, close to the smell pretty fruity with an almost wine like taste yet nicely retains the ale qualities and a nice yeasty and caramel flavor in the aftertaste -Tasted pretty close to a true Belgian quad I had before. Nice brew- nice job Unibroue. Top notch.

M- Smooth- somewhat medium bodied and actually a lot thinner than I would've expected which accounts for the great drinkability im sure. -good carbonation- looks highly carbonated but its not.

D- Amazingly drinkable for a 9% --i could down these better than any macro. This is one of the best tasting ales I have tried easily as good as some beers that are twice the price.

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

Nose of plums, caramel, prunes, burnt sugar, and some toffee. Taste is sweet, grapes, caramel, brown sugar, dark fruit and molasses. This is awesome, one of my favorite Unibroue beers, maybe my favorite. Good stuff. I feel like there's some ginger and cinnamon in there too.

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

Brown pour with crimson hints and a huge fluffy, neverending tan head.

A ton of phenols in the nose. Burnt sugars. Clove. Very complex.

Sweet banana notes up front. Very dry. Dark sugars, rips tomatoes and prunes. Wow.

Medium bodied, smooth, with a prescient carbonation. Big, but dry and very drinkable.

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

It's a rare beer that makes this hop-lover enjoy a malty, dark Belgian like Trois Pistoles. As is typical for Unibroue, the mouthfeel and carbonation make this beer uniquely drinkable for the style. Drinks like a lighter, more manageable Gulden Draak, which is high praise. I would have never guessed that this beer is 9% ABV, but that's not to say it isn't substantial in flavor and feel. Everything this brewery makes is about as high-quality as you will find, and makes paying twice as much for true Belgian imports seem silly. A no-brainer for fans of dark beers, Belgians, craft lovers who like to try the best of the best, or even red wine drinkers.

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

Was introduced to this beer by a friend and I think I am better friends with the beer now! I am reviewing this after having drank it in the past and loved it.

Very dark but a dark reddish brown color comes out around the edges in my snifter. Foamed out of the bottle a little when I popped it but after I poured some it settled down in the glass.

Smells of cough syrup or some sort of medicine with a whiff of sweet dark malts. BLAM!!! The taste is just off the hook. It's my first beer of the night and damn it is smooth on the taste buds. None of the strong liquor or bitterness of a stout. None of the fragrant hops of an IPA. It's just like putting on you favorite pair of pants. Just feels right. So tasty and not overpowering.

Simply in love with this "Broue" from Unibroue.

4.87/5  rDev +16%

My first Canadian and very convincing. I had this one on the twentieth of May 2005 at the Delirium Café.
The TP has a very dark amber-red colour with a thin white head that seems to stay. I got this one served in a Unibroue Tulip glass.
It has a very strong odour that reminds my of malt, raisins, dark chocolate and bitter tones.
In contrast to the violent smell, the beer tastes very gentle and mild. Almost as soft and subtle as silk. A Chocolate and malt taste with a cold creamy aftertaste. And traces of citrus fruit and spices. Not a lot of carbonation.
The mouth feel is very gentle, like drinking the cream on top of a cappuccino.
The strong dark ale is my favourite type of beer and for the moment this is the best beer I have ever had in that category.

Ut Vivat, Crescat, Floreat!

4.87/5  rDev +16%

wow. this is really really good. a ton of head, but lots of flavour for it to hold. and excellent dark appearance, with a good dose of peppery spice over the fruity flavour. Yes, the alcohol's there, but it's the good type of strong. I really liked this beer. .... now to find some magnums of it.

4.87/5  rDev +16%

Got in a bottle at a local bar. Served in a goblet.

Appearance: Poured a deep crimson color, almost like blood. Had a nice thick cream colored head that lingered but dematerialized after a few minutes.

Smell: Very intriguing. Smelled more like a fine wine then a beer. Definitely attractive.

Taste: Delicious. The wine-like smells it emitted are instantly tasted upon the first sip. Fruity and bold, with a some sharp tones to make it noticed. Tastes great overall.

Mouth Feel: While it tastes great, it is a very thick beer. I normally drink stouts, so I'm used to thicker beers, but this was a different kind of thick. I can almost say it was "syrupy", but not in a bad way, it fit with the taste of the beer.

Drinkability: Definitely a dangerously drinkable beer because of it's fruity tones that hide its ABV make it a deceptively delectable brew.

4.87/5  rDev +16%

Poured from 12oz bottle to a Duvel tulip glass. This beer pours dark very dark with a thin white head and white bubbles shooting to the top. Almost has the appearance of a dark cola or root beer, and has a nice crackling fizz . The smell on the nose is absolutely amazing, almost like fresh figs and berries chopped and sitting above your upper lip. Very rich,fruity and malty. Very strong spicy sweet, fruity taste with a nice presence of alcohol. This beer is extremely drinkable, delicious.

Sampled on 9/5/03.

Appearance: A color somewhere between brown and black that gives the impression that something lurks within. Pours with a tannish head that eventually gives way to a bit of lacing.

Smell: Malty and complex, with notes of cherry, vanilla, wheat, orange peel, plum, and a yeasty breadiness.

Taste: Complex yeastiness, reminds me of Bollinger Special Cuvee in a weird way. Plum, raisin, roasted malts, peach/apricot.

Mouthfeel: Again a bit like champagne, but with enough body that the carbonation isn't overwhelming. Big alcohol stays in the background.

Drinkability: A lot of factors at play that could slow you down, but everything here is in perfect balance. Bravo!

4.87/5  rDev +16%

a - Pours dark crimson/amber with a small tannish colored head.

s - smells fantastic. sweet, slightly roasted malt, notes of raisins

t - exceptional. sweet and fruity, grainy, malty

m - medium body, little carbonation

d - this is a fantastic beer, a 4 pack makes you feel warm and fuzzy, and is a bargain for the quality you get.

WOWWW!!!!

this beer is amazing, and I don't say that lightly

appearance: Dark cloudy red/brown/black depending on how much light you give it, with a light head that goes away relatively quickly. Not too thick, just a little more thick than a regular lager.

Smell: the smell was the first thing that really caught me, sweet and sparkly... definetely fruity... strawberries that has to be it!! maybe a melon of some sorts. Something even more sweet I can't put my finger on, the taste fills your mouth...

Mouthfeel: A SWEET warm aftertaste glows stronger and stronger for the first few seconds after you swallow, the beer is exceptionally creamy feeling for how light it looks and seems to flow. Bubbly on your tounge :)

Taste: I can't even note any alchohol... except for a great tinge I feel on the sides of my tounge. Defintely a beer made for the edges of your tounge, the middle does not do it justice, so swish it around carefully not to disturb it and make it bubble too much. The best taste is the sweet fuity-ness, or should I say the exquisite way the beer seems to flow from one sweet taste to the next, one gulp of this beer contains many more sweet fruits/spices than I can identify, I can identify this though... they are so good the dynamic variance of stimulation nearly overloaded me and sent a chill down my back, making me shake.

I know I'm a newbie but this has been one of the greatest beer experiances of my life... and it is still going on... I have only finished half the bottle. Now leave us alone, I have fallen in love

4.87/5  rDev +16%

750ml Bottle. Poured into goblet style glass. 3 finger head developed but quickly dissipated into lacing that lasts until finished. Smell: Plums. Definitely plummy. Taste: Cannot describe. Palate not refined enough, but...Very damned good. Mouthfeel: I'd agree that it's harsh. Not bad though. I'd definitely bring a few bottles of this to a family gathering.

4.87/5  rDev +16%

Dark violet color, with a short tan head that recedes too soon.

Rich, heady aromas come wafting out the bottleneck, plump with associations: Raisins, plums, spices, brandy, dark rum, smoke, and so much more.

Bracing onslaught of hops on the palate, but excellent buttress of malt backs it up.
Fantastic spark on the tongue, and a wonderful sweetness that follows after the drizzling of hops. Transendant complexity, utterly other-worldly, and overjoyous.

A real treat of a beer, and a rare delight. Only the finest of human beings should put this to their lips, as a benedicton and reflection of the worthiness of their souls. So, all you slobs, go better yourselves before daring to crack the cage and cork. So go do community service, adopt a stray kitten, give a street urchin a quarter, let someone on the freeway before you, be kind to our fine feathered friends, turn a Bud man on to oatmeal stouts, just do something to realign your karma to make you worthy enough to pour this fine beer down your gullet.

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

1pt 9oz bottle into glass mug.

Aroma: Malts, dark bread, and caramel.

Appearance: Dark amber deceivingly simple, with light lacing.

Flavor: Spicy, carmel malt, rasins.

Mouthfeel: Crisp carbonation. But mellowing and becoming a smooth dessert.

Overall: A very good ale. One of my favorite beers. Decievingly alcoholic, I suddenly feel warm on my ears.. very easy to drink a whole large bottle in a sitting.

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Another gothic Francophone painting on this label to match the motif of the one on Maudite. Like it's heralding a dark omen. In fact it's trying to say that it is fiendish how good this ale is, so beware of your mortal soul, as you soon may just lose it to this bottle.

Poured from a brown 750 ml bottle, it is a heavenly cherry oak tone, frothy tan head that recedes to a thick ring and some lacing. Nose contains cherries, caramel, spices, mild herbal tones. Flavour is immediately that of sweet malt, sour cherry, some citrus, a bit grassy, a bit woody, then on to a spicy finish, some floral hops, and a boozy sherry-like aftertaste (to be expected with the 9% abv). The flavour then comes back again with a caramel/toffee taste that lingers in the mouth long after it's been swallowed. This ale is utterly remarkable, only the second time I have ever tried it. I am kicking myself now, as I'll soon be setting some bottles aside to mature. If I were a genie, this is the bottle I'd choose to live in.

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

First off, wow. A beautiful brownish-ruby color with a nice tan head that dissipates somewhat, but a nice thin line remains. The taste was somewhat fruity to begin with (banana-nut bread), then finished spicy and crisp. Perhaps the taste was more like a spicy port wine. There was definitely something about the flavor that I can't even imagine to appropriately describe, and I loved it. The drinkability of this dark ale was surprisingly high. I'm certainly a huge fan and I'll be buying this one many, many more times.

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

This beer poured a dark, rich brown with a thin tan head that did not subside throughout the tasting. The aroma can best best characterized as very malty, with a nice fruit scent and a hint of chocolate. The taste is extremely smooth and filled with dark roasted malts, sweet fruits, and a slight hint of chocolate. The high alcohol content is very well masked by the overall rich taste of this beer. The mouthfeel is extremely pleasant due to the slight carbonation and the drinkability is dangerously high. This could very well, without a doubt, become one of my all-time favorite beers!

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

I picked up a 750ml corked bottle of this brew. Pours a cloudy orange red. Massive light yellow-brown head with a very gentle
pour. Dissapates at a moderate pace but never fully disappears. Smells a lot different than other beers I've had. If you let it warm up in the mouth you can faintly taste the alcohol. Its a little fruity, very malty, and has a very good wine-like aftertaste. With a 9% ABV, it is deceivingly drinkable. A very fine brew indeed.

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

This beer pours a very dark brown with an enormous head. In the aroma I get sweet bread, raisins, cherry, banana, and nutmeg. The flavor is slightly sweet and very rich, but also utterly drinkable. I taste banana bread, raisin, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and violet. The mouthfeel is rich but not syrupy. Overall this is a beer to sit down and think with - a deep, rich, philosophers beer.

Trois Pistoles from Unibroue