Trois Pistoles | Unibroue

Added by Todd on 10-31-2000

4.2

Reviews: 2,004 | Ratings: 4,904
4.32/5  rDev +2.9%

Well, I think I am finally able to constructively evaluate stronger brews. In the past the alcohol was usually evident and that influenced my evaluation. Now I am able to pick up more of the subtleties and this offering has some great subtleties. Appearance was like dark cherries witha beautifully carbonated head that remained, though somewhat diminished down the glass. Smell..mmmm..cherry-like IMHO, alcohol undertones, with some yeasty elements... a great blend. Taste was equally complex...fruity, alcohol, yeast, wine-like elements. Mouthfeel...medium with a beautiful astringency at the finish. For the abv (9.0) very drinkable.

3.88/5  rDev -7.6%

Served from a 750ml bottle. Pours a dark mahogany with a decent head that disspates fairly quickly. Smell is of fruit, a little sweetness and some alcohol. There was a lot of carbonation to this bottle. I've read other people saying theirs was undercarbonated. Not this one. If anything, it got much better as the carbonation mellowed out. Flavor is of ripe fruit, spicy, a little bit of chocolate and rich malt. Just a little hops and an amazingly dry finish. There was also a little alcohol present in the taste. All in all this is a very good beer, but I think it still has a little ways to go before I'd put it up there with strong ales such as St. Bernardus Abt 12. There's nothing that I dislike about this beer... however, it didn't knock my socks off either.

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow, this stuff is fantastic. Pours a deep brown/mahogany with a beautiful light tan head. Aroma is grassy, alcohol and berry-like. Very dry, but smooth mouthfeel. Taste is spicy, berry (or perhaps cherry). A little bit of chocolate perhaps. Some caramel, and minor hops. Very earthy. This may be one of the best Belgian dark ales I've had in a while. Fairly cheap too.

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

What the gods would drink. Dark brown brew with slight hint of red nice tan head that subside to a ever clinging ring of foam. Smells of dark wonderful fruity paradise, plums, raisens, bananas list goes on. Tastes the same fruity flavored malt slight yeast taste with a small touch of hops, and a nice dry finish.Sweet wonderful brew this must be what Homer is thinking of when he says" ummm beer", definatley better then any Duff I have ever had. Extremely drinkable must always have some on hand, if you have not tried it please do yourself a favor and buy some.

3.97/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured a very deep reddish brown and clear with a tan head that dissapears quickly. Wonderful fruity malty aroma that reminds me of a good Belgian ale. Mouthfeel is lively and medium bodied. Has an excellent balanced flavor of malts that gives a fruity roasted malt flavor that could equal many of its Belgian cousins. Finishes with a sugary sweetness that is abundantly pleasant. Probably the best widely available ale of this style.

4.04/5  rDev -3.8%

I believe what I may have here is a bad bottle. The cork popped with a barely audible thud, and carbonation is grim. Since this seems to be a brewers fault, I'll review this one. Quality control should come into play in overall score. I have not even tried this yet - it just "sounded" bad.

Pours cloudy brown, with very little carbonation. There is a slight lace around the edge of my glass. Aroma is quite fruity, with some apples, plums, and grapes showing up. Some maltiness lingers in the background. Taste starts off with a bready maltiness. Then a good kick of fruit & alcohol comes through. The mouthfeel is full of tiny bubble carbonation, again I think this is due to a bad bottle. This is fizzy like soda pop, not what I expected from Uniboue. The mouthfeel if full and slightly sticky overall decent. Drinkability is great on this one, bad bottle or no. Pretty good for a 'bad' bottle. I think this may have been a bit premature.

Note - This is my third bad bottle from Uniboue (2 maudites)

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

Deep brownish-red hue, dense and murky with minimal light penetration, the beige head reached a good two fingers in height. The retention was excellent; the pack of bubbles lasted the entire quaff. Unorganized sheets of lace doted the side of my glass. The aromatics on the nose were impressive and deceiving. The bouquet was surprisingly light and airy with pleasant whiffs of pepper, traces of marshmallows, bready-yeastiness and yeasty fruitiness too. Plus there is an excellent hint of chocolate malts. While the potency is modest it is inviting and complex. The palate is light, with subtle fruitiness upfront, apples mainly, a kiss of marshmallow that is engulfed by the pepperiness and then lightly roasted, chocolate malts of the middle and finish. In the end the maltiness is pleasantly secondary, as hints of dates, raisins, and horse blanket shine more. The aftertaste is unearthly with apples, pepper, fruitiness, and maltiness, somewhat dry. A stunningly well crafted beverage, devilish really, the 9% abv is absent on the palate. I did, however, notice the beer on the brain. Warming. The body is medium; excellent levels of carbonation it is just “firm” enough. Wow, the ease of consuming this ale is scary, considering it is an extremely complex brew. If, for some odd reason you’ve failed to try this beer, you must. Trois Pistoles is simply lovely. Unibroue has sold me on their greatness. I scored this 750 ml in Kansas City. I want more.

4.57/5  rDev +8.8%

I had this fabulous Unibroue product poured into a chalice out of a 750ml bottle.

The only thing that kept the appearance score down was the lack of a nice fluffy head. This may be par for the style, but what head did appear was soon gone. The raisin brown color was very appealing.

The smell is of brandy/rum/raisins/plums...deep, rich, sweet, and alchoholic in nature.

The taste is out of this world! Admittedly, I typically don't fall head over feet for Belgian ales, but this strong dark ale is the exception. I place it above Maudite, Chambly, and La Fin Du Monde easily. If it weren't a bit pricey I'd keep it around at all times.

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

Pretty nice! Poured a hazy dark red with a moderate sized even after a fast pour. Nice head to start out but died quickly and left a slippery lace that didn't stick. This saddened me.

Nice fragrance on this one but nothing special. Dark fruits, bready malts and yeast. High alcohol well hidden in the aroma.

Outstanding flavor! Raisins, yeast, plums, prunes, buttered bread and alcohol. Very smooth going down with great mouthfeel.

3.43/5  rDev -18.3%

I expected to be amazed by this beer, based on its ranking and all. Maybe I got an off batch or something, but it wasn't the best I've ever had. It started off skunky and advanced to good.

Pours a dark brown with minimal lacing from a 12 oz bottle.

Smelled complex, but almost a bit skunky. A wide range from hops to fruity to malty.

The taste began slightly skunky but as it warmed up and breathed a bit, other, better flavers emerged, a fruity, spicy blend, similar to a really good cider. Left an aftertaste like cloves mixed with pumpkin pie.

The mouthfeel was OK, very tingly with carbonation and a little on the thick side.

This beer grew on me a little. I'd drink another sometime, but I'm not in a hurry. It was drinkable, and enjoyable as a flavor excursion, but not remarkable.

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

A lovely brew that satisfies the need for complexity. A great looking copper/dark amber body is covered with a rich, thick head of cream that laces throughout the glass. An aroma of fruit greets the drinker with a smell of grapes and cherries, perhaps even a bit of raisin and plum. The spicy, fruity flavors are just as complex with a strong sense of vinous quality. A bit of spice and cloves carries through as well. The medium body is lasting and gives a bit of strong aftertaste, almost syrupy in its finish. The drinkability is good considering the high ABV.

2.38/5  rDev -43.3%

Trois Pistoles is the 2nd beer from Unibroue I've tried.
Comes in a cool bottle!!

3 pistols pours a caramel/amber with a nice thick creamy tan head. The head lingers a long time!

The smell is very fruity; grapes mostly. My nose didn't pick up much more than that.
Tasting the beer I noticed a fruit flavor (grapes) but there was a metallic and alcohol taste very much present! 3 Pistols seemed a little too carbonated almost like champagne.

The aftertaste was unplesant. very sweet and medicinal.
Overall, I don't think I'll be able to finish the bottle. Just not my cup of beer.

4.29/5  rDev +2.1%

Dark brown with a red gleam. The head is dense, generous and it accompanies you through your journey. Malty and fruity aroma of grape. The taste is complex: an adequate balance of chocolate, roasted caramel, cherries, grapes, spices, yeast (less than Unibroue's standard). A light alcohol (not quite well-hidden, but about what I expect from good belgians of this ABV) Bitterness joins you until the end. It's a rich and complex beverage, but while it's probably not overrated, I prefer many other belgian strong ales to this one..

4.82/5  rDev +14.8%

Deep red-brown witha crackling tan head.
Spicy taste and aroma (thats the only hint you'll get of the 9% abv)
Huge cherry in the aroma and taste as well. Very fruity, swirling really brings out the fruit flavor (adds plum). Spice grows as it warms. I don't notice hops or bitterness, but there is a nice dark malt base to the brew.
Medium feel, and very drinkable at least to the point you're still able to lift your glass.

4.14/5  rDev -1.4%

Appearance:

Lovely bottle with some really neat art on the front. Big & corked like all the Unibroue I've seen.

It poured out nice and dark, with a decent head that subsided quickly. Residual yeast could be seen, adding a bit more. Very attractive when poured.

Smell:

Oh god does this beer smell nice. Cherries, raisins, yeastie bits, caramel was definitely there and maybe some chocolate? Only a HINT of hops, but I'm guessing this is for balancing.

Taste:

Wow, this is complex. I'm tasting far more than I smelled - although I'd have to say the actual taste itself is good, not amazing. This beer is highly alcoholic, but so well made that I can barely tell in the slightest. Fruit flavours preside over all, with the undertones of caramel, and again, that hint of hops.

Mouthfeel:

Again, pretty good. Nice, dry finish, easy drinking - I can't give it more because this beer was cool bordering on tepid, instead of decently cold. Still, very smooth.

Drinkability:

This beer is an endeavour to drink, and I don't think I'd want to go more than one. Still, I'll give it an above average for drinkability.

Notes:

Belgian Dark Ales aren't my favourite, although I think I can appreciate them - and this is a great one. Well balanced, great nose, doesn't look bad in the slightest... easy recommendation for anyone.

4.77/5  rDev +13.6%

One of My favorite beers. Every sip is a different delicious taste sent to the brian. Top pick from Canada's finest brewery will hold its own against Belgian ales. Nice at the end of a meal or for lunch instead of a heavy latte. Five and a half years till finally found on tap, at Volo's, and really not as good on tap, not as much body and taste, though aroma was there.

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

The label art on this one is just evil, it looks very dark and demented. Alas, I was disappointed when I poured it and it came out, red! What the dark ale on lees is going on around here? In reality it is more of a dark reddish-brown than red, and one can see through it as well. It pours quite a creamy-whitish head and the aromas that dance off of this one are quite crazy. This definitely well hopped but with a spice kick of some variety. Perhaps bitter orange peel, coriander, pepper, or even ginger? I couldn't quite place it. This is truly a very unique beer that falls within the belgian variety. I very impressed with what these French Canadians can do with & to beer.

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

12oz bottle with a best before date 3-11-06, tasted 11-16-03.

This beer poured a dark brown/ruby/blackish body with a thick choppy off white head.

The nose was a great mix of classic dark belgian smells. Chocolate, yeast, phenols, plums, raisins, spice, caramel, a touch of pepper, alcohol with an overall sharpness.

The beer was highly carbonated, yet medium bodied and very soft and drinkable. Lots of ripe fruit flavors: grapes, apples, plums, and raisins. Soft dark malts: caramel, chocolate. Yeast, alcohol, some phenol touches, touch of wheat, very juicy and slightly sweet. Almost like a rum soaked raisin. Very port like. It’s surprisingly mellow for such a big beer. Almost no hop taste at all, but a perfectly balanced hop bitterness that’s so well balanced you barely even notice it’s there.

Basically, I was blown away by this beer. It’s so simple with all these fruit tones and mellow dark malts. I swear the brewer’s at Unibroue are really Belgians. This is an amazing beer, and for the price a steal.

3.98/5  rDev -5.2%

Plums, raisins, flowery notes and burned sugar in the aroma.
Hazy Bordeaux color with a stable creamy head.
Indeed a fruity Port flavor, dusty notes in the aftertaste.
Surprisingly light body , dry but a bit fizzy mouthfeel - this makes the beer seem lighter than it really is...

4.59/5  rDev +9.3%

My 1st bottle put me to sleep last night, but a sip out of the warm glass very early this morning, told me that this is a biere worth reviewing. My 2nd Pistole poured a murky chestnut color, with a one finger head. Aroma is a bouquet of fruitiness, almost floral. Pleasant in the mouth, a nice balance of carbonation, alcohol, malts, and slight hops. Taste is of a nectar like dried fruitiness, combined very well with the distinct hops and alcohol.

This is one of the better brews I've experienced. Very complex, and very interesting. Reminds me of Celebrator toward the end, as it just keeps getting more overwhelming to the senses.

This is a wonderful balance of many complex flavours and aromas. Very finely crafted by the Quebec Unibroue folks. This could become one of my all time favourites. Geeez..I'm starting to spell stuff Canadian(flavour, favourite). This stuff is hard to find in Kentucky, so I guess I will cellar my remaining two bottles, eh!

4.37/5  rDev +4%

12 oz. bottle
Appearance: Hazy, chestnut-brown body...has the look of a dark amber apple cider. Tightly-bubbled light tan head lingers with minimal lace.
Smell: Clean, crisp, yeasty with sweet malt background. Fall fruits, apple, grape, citrus-crispness. Complex and a key part of the experience.
Taste: Sweet full malt, with apples, plums, raisins. Delightfully sour yeast acidity, pleasing dry hop/citrus finish. Very nice balance. Alcohol hangs way back.
Mouthfeel: Crisp, tingly carbonation and yeast acidity/dryness.
Drinkability: A great sipper... could easily do 2 or 3 of these.

3.9/5  rDev -7.1%

pours out an amber brown with a little lace. the aroma is spicey and grassy, lightly fruity. the taste packs some spice and alcohol right off the bat. a light hint of chocolate, malt and sweetness, it finishes dry. heavily carbonated and crisp. its good, just not my thing for the most part, but i can respect it none-the-less. take it easy too, this stuff will make you loopy.

$5.99 for the mag.

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

355ml bottle. Best before 5/7/06
Pours a full tan head, a deep brown color, hazy, opaque. CO2 rolling up along the edges of the lacing. The aroma is malty, spicy, and earthy with a background presence of alcohol and some tartness. The taste is sweet, roasted, and spicy, with a tart middle and a dry finish that lingers with liquorish and sassafras. A medium bodied mouth-feel with sufficient effervescence. A well-rounded brew. Not overpowering for such an intense style. Taste was best around 53 degrees ? started loosing its balance as it warmed more. Might have needed some more aging.

4.23/5  rDev +0.7%

A difficult beer for me as I will always remember it as the beer I drank as the Cubs lost to the Marlins in the NLCS 2003. And as I forgot to respect it, it got the very best of me the next morning!!! Be Warned!!! The beer poured a very orange/red almost wine like color. The stick was rock solid. Aromatics were fruit driven and complex-melon,sour cherries, botrytis-where's the blue cheese? Medium in body with soft bitter chocolate and light buttery fruitiness. A faint peach and tangy raisin note adds to the finish of this very, very complex and intriguing brew. This is a more wine like offering where the malt plays a second to the fruit. I'm thinking pear and blue cheese-seared foie gras?...incidently, my notes say "...end of the 9th..Cubs down 9-6...I need four pistoles!! all I can do to keep from throwing this glass to the floor....we got Wrigley?!" God the hangover sucked the next day.

4.32/5  rDev +2.9%

Trois Pistoles has a hazy black cherry soda color and a creamy off-white head.
The aromas wafting out of the glass are a melange of yeasty malt, dark fruits, a hint of chocolate and a mix of spices (coriander, clove, and cinnamon), not to mention a heady alcohol note.
Tasting this beer was a real exercise in sorting out all the different flavors. A light clove/banana flavor along with that bready malt taste was noted plus some raisins, plums, dates, and a sweetness not unlike dark chocolate-covered cherries. Trois Pistoles exuded a real candy sweetness. Finished with a spicy bite layered over a warming alcohol kick.
Feel was creamy and smooth with a light carbonation tingle.
Overall, this was one great beer. Drinkability suffers a bit due to the alcohol it packs. Nevertheless, it's a superbly crafted beer that's just right for slowly drinking over the course of a quiet evening.

Trois Pistoles from Unibroue