Trois Pistoles | Unibroue

Added by Todd on 10-31-2000

4.2

Reviews: 2,004 | Ratings: 4,904
4.63/5  rDev +10.2%

Warmed out of the fridge for 5 minutes before being poured into a chalice.

A: Fluffy yet slightly chunky 1/2 inch head that settles rather slowly down to a thin lace which remains for the duration of the beers enjoyment. The colour is deep dark amber.

S: Sweet dark over ripened fruits (plums, grapes and even a little bit of apple). The 9% alcohol can be detected but is masked quite well by the mouth watering scent of the ripe fruit.

T: Again with the dark over ripened fruits; however, I believe the taste of plums dominates. Alcohol is present but well masked. You can definitely feel the impression of the malt up front then as the finish approaches it is balanced out with subtle hops. The finish is long and involves caramel and port wine, very tasty.

M: Smooth with the perfect amount of carbonation that tickles the tongue but it still allows you to enjoy the full flavour of the beer.

D: Not in any way a session beer. Good for when you want to have just one full flavoured beer.

This is one of my first craft beers which I am revisiting and will do so again. A very enjoyable beer for after a large meal consisting of red meat.

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%

This beer poured the color of rich earth with a tight, caramel colored, well bubbled head that dissipated quickly. The aromas of licorice, and malt promised that the best was yet to come. On the palate it's vigorous carbonation was followed by a thick and smooth and creamy feel with a rich, roasted malt taste and a fruity finish. Certainly, the commercial description of a Port wine and ripe fruit is completely accurate. The complexity of this beer made every sip an adventure.

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

355mL bottle poured into an oversized wine glass

A - very dark almost black colour with 7-8 mm of creamy that dropped quickly to a fine layer

S - strong dark and malts

T - swet malts and dark fruits, becomes sugary as it lingers in the mouth

M - medium to heavy bodied and sweet although easy to drink

D - very good but not as complex or rich as other belgian strong dark ales. still a very good beer

3.54/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

The beer was black, without much head. It smelled good, a berry type of smell. The taste was pretty good, you can certainly taste the fruit, as well as a somewhat chocolate taste. However, I didn't like the mouthfeel of the beer, since it had very little carbonation, and by the time I finished the 750 ml bottle, I had had enough of the beer.

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours dark amber with a thin off-white head - crackled and popped nicely as it settled into the glass. Aroma of very sweet fruit, especially strawberry creme, countered by a vinegar presence, and even some wacky meat-like character - pot roasty. The taste is initially sweet and fruity, giving way to a huge mouthful of earthy wood-like flavor. Intense full mouth with an easy buttery aftertaste feel. The complex flavors in this brew kept me thinking - an excellent drinking experience. Will definately enjoy again -

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a Trois Pistoles goblet, a beer I have had many times.

Appearance: A rich dark brown, dark enough so I cannot see through it with a gleam of red. A rich 1 inch formed at the top of the beer that slowly begins to subside.

Smell: A very natural sweet smell comes off of it, definite yeastiness with a touch of roasted malt.

Taste: Sweet with a touch of tartness. There is some bitterness in the beer but it not the first thing I taste. This beer has a wonderful balance; there is a good hint of roasted malt with a tiny bit of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Thick, mild carbonation. I enjoy it.

Drinkability: The alcohol makes this beer unsessionable and it is heavy enough where drinking more then one in an evening starts to become a chore. Finishing the first one is quite easy.

This is one of my favorite beers, the one that really got me into trying Belgian beer.

4.2/5  rDev 0%

Another winner from our friends up north. Maltier than most of the other Unibroue creations. This makes the beer seem bigger than most of their other styles. Chewy and creamy. It pours a nice scarlet brown with a quickly diminishing, but not disappearing tan head. Fruity and spicy. Big time flavors every direction you turn. Alcohol is a major player here, especially in the finish. Wine like taste settles in late and passes out on your couch (i.e. sticks around for a long time). But not neccessarily the type of visitor you want to leave. (The bottle notes this as "port". Call me uncouth, but I don't know beans about wine, so I will just take their word).
Quite an stellar brew in my book, and just a step below their some of their other offerings (Don, Fin and Maudite). Usually a "second-tier" beer in a brewery's repitoire is nothing to get overly excited about. But Unibroue is an exception to all rules. Everything they touch is gold.

4.27/5  rDev +1.7%

Poures into a goblet a very dark, porter like with a one finger head. Smells great, like a port or barley wine? Definitely comes from the alcohol. There's also a good bit of plum as well. Taste is heavy, but good. Dark fruits like plum. Mouthfeel is really good! Very creamy. Once poured it seem to froth somewhat and become twice what it is. If that makes sense. I say because of the cream feel it definitely is quite drinkable.
This beer provides a great experience! The head is pretty much perpetual until the end. As it continues to warm it continues to get creamier and more frothy. Definitely a warm feel. I really like this beer.

4.63/5  rDev +10.2%

This beer is truly special. The pour is nice leading to a robust head that is known for its long good-byes. On the nose this beer has a slight sweetness followed by a well rounded malt. The taste of this beer is brilliant! Moreover, it is very drinkable, exceptionally balanced and suited for any occasion. Bravo. One note on the closing, this beer packs a punch.

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

1pt 9oz bottle into glass mug.

Aroma: Malts, dark bread, and caramel.

Appearance: Dark amber deceivingly simple, with light lacing.

Flavor: Spicy, carmel malt, rasins.

Mouthfeel: Crisp carbonation. But mellowing and becoming a smooth dessert.

Overall: A very good ale. One of my favorite beers. Decievingly alcoholic, I suddenly feel warm on my ears.. very easy to drink a whole large bottle in a sitting.

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of the last of a selection of Unibroue that I bought last month.
This is a 750ml bottle.
The appearance in the glass is dark copper with a 2-3 inch head.
The smell is that of ripe fruit as advertised.
The taste is rich with the taste of hops but not overwhelming. Mildly sweet with yeast undertones.
The mouthfeel is perfect with the right mix of carbonation and smooth mellow aftertaste.

Overall this is a very drinkable dark Belgian. I was pleased.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Appearance - Dark brown

Smell - Sweet aroma

Taste - Complex burst of flavors

Mouth Feel - Smooth, slightly creamy and pleasant

Drinkability - This is a beer to reach for to enjoy for the rest of the evening. Excellent burst of flavor, only slightly sweet, many wonderful complex flavors, mild bitterness, clean finish - Extraordinary!

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: A very dark brown with a orange/reddish hue. A white fluffy head that retains really well.
S: Strong Belgian yeasts and malts leaving many fruity subtle fruity smells.
T: The taste is really good. It has a light fruit taste from the yeast and malts with a complex aftertaste. It reminds me of some of the better Belgian strongs I had while I was in Belgium.
M: Light to moderate body with large bubble carbonation.
O: Overall I like this is a good Belgium Strong worth trying if you are a fan of the style.

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

A: Deep nutty brown, like a stained oak wood. Slightly opaque, but just a few flecks refract the light when held up.
Tight little Belgium lacing that is comprised of surprisingly uniform medium-sized bubbles.
A sprightly little head that falls after the first few sips - just long enough to divulge some of its delicate aromas.

The smell is very sweet; filled with the heavy Belgium sugars that make me swoon (and for some reason I smell teriyaki sauce).

Taste is dark and sweet: burned caramel, cotton candy, and spicy! It's nice and hoppy for such a dark brew. I taste a little Flemish sour as well - I wonder what kind of yeast was used.
The mouth feel is surprisingly light and drinkable, although there is minimal carbonation.

This is a beautiful beer, and even more impressive that it's brewed on this continent.

GO TO REDBONES TO TASTE IT ON TAP!!

1.84/5  rDev -56.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Bottle pours dark almost reddish brown. Pretty highly carbonated.

Smells, fruity, but overwhelmingly like chewable vitamins.

The initial taste on the front of the palate starts off like a good belgian style ale, but as it goes to the middle and back of the palate, the chewable vitamin flavor is again overwhelming. What is that?

Feels fairly heavy although bubbly in mouth. Finishes with a dry with a chalky vitamin flavor. A most perplexing beer, but I had trouble finishing my glass, and would not seek to try again. I keep thinking my bottle went bad, but i really don't think that's the case.

4.37/5  rDev +4%

Poured into a mug and only then noticed the advisory on the bottle to use a snifter. OH WELL.

A--Dark brown, tan head, very little light allowed through the cloudy dark mass.

S--Fruity and rich, with a bit of caramel.

T--The smells transfer right into the tastes. Sweet but rich, with caramel type flavors running through and very little alcohol burn despite the content. No bitterness whatsoever.

M--Not heavy carbonation and pleasantly thick.

D--Not much to say. It goes down so easy that I am not sure exactly where mine went to. It appears to have disappeared.

3.72/5  rDev -11.4%

12-ounce bottle, served in a tulip glass
Appearance: it's pretty dark, kind of molasses colored; a thin, off-white head that has mostly disappeared after a minute or two, but some lacing remains all the way until the end
Aroma: sweet; there are some pretty clear dark fruit notes, maybe raisin or plum, smells a little boozy
Taste: kind of hard to describe; it's very smooth; despite its high ABV it does not taste much like alcohol; it starts very bright and moves more toward the dark fruit flavors; sweet throughout, but not overly so; finishes with a malty flavor that is quite nice and some chocolate; aftertaste is a little mixture of all the flavors; a nice hint of spice
Mouthfeel: a lot of carbonation, more than I would like; fairly thick or syrupy, coats the mouth well
Overall Impression: it gets much better as it warms up, the flavors come out more and the carbonation isn't as aggressive as it when it was colder; it is a nice fall beer, a little hearty and sure to warm you up some; it's got some layers of flavor in it that I cannot quite identify and had some trouble describing-a complex sipper (which seems to be something that Unibroue is known for); I think my favorite taste is the end, as all the flavors kind of come back together one last time as you swallow, but I think it smells even better than it tastes

Ok,
I've been a BeerAdvocate member for a long time now without ever reviewing a single beer. Very sad, I know. Time for that to stop! I have built up too much beer-knowledge, and, I'd like to share. No better way than with one of the best beers out there, Trois Pistoles.
I must admit that I love Unibroue, and many of their creations. Their style seems to suit my palate very well, and Trois Pistoles comes in at their very best. I used to love Eau Benite the most, but, since they no longer export it to the USA, I may have forgotten what it tastes like! But, trust me, it's awesome.
Trois Pistoles is excellent in it's own right. It's pretty smooth, medium carbonation. Above average carbonation for a belgian style, but, it doesn't hinder it's drinkability. The 9% APV is pretty well hidden, but, your brain will certainly know it after a nice 750ml bottle, but, pleasantly so. I'd be hardpressed to ever rate a beer above this one I think, but, it is my never ending search to do so of course!
Trois Pistoles moves to the head of the class. With a great, dried fruit taste, and all the smoothness you can expect for the style, it's one of the best ales out there. Enjoy!

PS- No, I'm not a shill for Unibroue, though I may sound like it.
The Blanche de Chambly is too weak for me, and I really didn't care a lot for their 15th Anniversary Ale, but, I don't think you can go wrong with 90% of their other offerings. My .02¢

3.57/5  rDev -15%

Good cloudy dark appearance. Pours a big thick head, that dissipates quickly leaving clean walls.

Great nose with mild fruit and bread notes.

Silky mouthfeel with an average carbonation, not too lively.

Great dessert beer. This is light in flavor, if not in ABV. That's not to say it doesn't have plenty of flavor because it does. Its just very balanced and refreshing. Could easily be substituted for the glass of port after dinner. The darkest of the Unibroue's that i have tried so far. Darker in color and more complex in flavor than either Don De Dieu and La Fin De Monde. Another great offering from this brewer.

Given the ABV i can't drink a ton of these, but it certaily isn't because the flavor either fatigues or gets boring. This is good all day, as long as you aren't going anywhere.

4.95/5  rDev +17.9%

Bottle chilled at 4C.
Poured into a Duvel Tulip glass.

Gorgeous deep dark brown color with slightly off white head. Fine bubbles, not super velvety though.

Great smell, slight Belgian yeast, almost like Cola.

The taste is sweetness and very fine carbonation up front, followed by Belgian sweet yeast and comforting warming from the alcohol.
Quite impressive really.

Slight bitterness on the tail end, with figs and bready notes.
Not overly malty but very rich.
The warming lingers with a nice aftertaste. Such a fine beer, complex and refined. Excellent!

I've waited almost a year for this, absolutely fantastic!

3.97/5  rDev -5.5%

Appearance: pours a dark molasses color with little head. Dark but not opaque

Aroma: yeast, fruit, some cloves. Significant but not very strong

Palate: full-bodied with fermented fruit the strongest flavor. Hits fairly quickly and tastes of raisin. Feels heavy in the mouth and finishes with a slightly choppy sensation.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

I am really starting to like what Unibroue has to offer. 750mL poured into a Unibroue chalice. A: Pours a dark brown color with a 1 finger tan head. Head quickly fades to a ring, a little swirl of the glass excites the brew causing some nice lacing. N: Aroma is of bread malts, plum, red grape and pears. P: The aroma accentuates the taste giving you a mildly carbonated dark fruit and malty smooth mouthful. Followed by a slight and pleasant alcohol after taste. O: I really enjoyed this brew. The flavors coming through make this almost like a dessert brew. It's not too filling so it's easy to drink. A very enjoyable Belgian style Dark Ale.

This is so Fing good, This Belgian Dark ale is better than the ones from Belgium and that's sayin somthin... This is for sure a world class beer and it's in my to ten favorite beer

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My father brought this down from Quebec for me. At first I didn't know what to think of it for the simple fact that it had a cork in it. But i chilled it down and popped the cork. I smelled the cork, even though it isn't a wine, and was pleased with the scent it gave off. It was a fruity scent put i couldn't place, but it tickled my nostrals. I poured it into a pint glass and to my surprise it had a color close to Guinness, but not to dark as to not light a little light through. It had a nice head to it, not to frizzy. When i took a sip, i know i was in for a pleasure. It had a taste that words can't do justice. It had at first the taste of your average Canadian beer, but the after taste was a fruity and enjoyable. It went down quickly and before I knew it i drank the 24 oz bottle in the matter of minutes. I had a good buzz for a while. I highly suggest it you try it for the first time, don't read the bottle. It gives away a lot of it's secerts.

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

The label art on this one is just evil, it looks very dark and demented. Alas, I was disappointed when I poured it and it came out, red! What the dark ale on lees is going on around here? In reality it is more of a dark reddish-brown than red, and one can see through it as well. It pours quite a creamy-whitish head and the aromas that dance off of this one are quite crazy. This definitely well hopped but with a spice kick of some variety. Perhaps bitter orange peel, coriander, pepper, or even ginger? I couldn't quite place it. This is truly a very unique beer that falls within the belgian variety. I very impressed with what these French Canadians can do with & to beer.

Trois Pistoles from Unibroue